mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Need help with low budget component choice

Hello everybody!

I hope this is the right subforum to post this, but I need to replace the cassette, front sprocket, chain and BB on my MTB/DH bike. Why do I need to replace all those? Because I got the bike from my cousin who has been riding it for about 10 years without a single service. I've already replaced the tires, inner tubes and brake pads, and took everything apart for cleaning, re-lubing and adjusting. Now I need some advice on what to replace the broken parts with. Total budget is around €150 or so.

Original cassette is a SRAM 8 speed (the bike only has a total of 8 gears with a SRAM X-5 derailleur) and 11-30T sprockets.

I could replace this with a Shimano HG51 or SRAM PG-850. Which one is better? Both are around the same price point.

Original chain is KMC Z-51. Replacements I could use are the same Z-51 (cheapest, 9€), Shimano HG40T (11€) or SRAM PC870 (15€). I've heard good things about KMC and Shimano, but that SRAM goes bad quickly.

Stock BB is a Howitzer 51cl and I found the exact replacement for that.

Stock front sprocket is the sprocket that came with the Truvativ Hussefelt crankset, it's an 8S 38T. Only 38T replacement I found locally was a Shimano XT M785, but that's a 10S sprocket. I also found a SRAM SS/DH 36T sprocket, but that, too, is a 10S. In fact, I did not find a single 8S sprocket with 36-40T that is heavy duty enough for my taste. Any ideas what to use here? It has to fit my Truvativ Boxguide.

I look forward to hearing all of your recommendations!

mtbr member
    You can replace the entire drive train for $180.00
    Shimano Alivio M430 Medium Groupset (9-speed) (Biking)