nimble biker

LBS discourage me ording DVO topaz airshock

my LBS said the DVO topaz air shock is poor quality and lacks reliability of Fox DPX2 shock.

they said all DVO topaz shock reviews are all fake. I read reviews here on MTBR but I still have doubts

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Dang! Do you feel that your LBS is reputable?

mtbr member
    seems like he is not a dvo dealer

nimble biker
    LBS is reputable. they provide great service for me. They are Pivot, Trek, Salsa, Norco and specialized dealer. they sold alot of Pivot. They can get me DVO but they said it is POS

mtbr member since 1996
    I'd say they have no idea. I have a Topaz and in all my research before and after (tuning) I have yet to hear of a single issue.

Ask them for specific issues and fake reviews. I expect their answer won't be very concincing.

mtbr member
    Was it the LBS or someone who worked at the LBS?
    Do the math.

nimble biker
    It is someone who works for lbs. 3 other guys there also agree with the first guy opinion

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Have they actually ridden, owned or maintained? I've only heard good things about DVO, but haven't rode any of their stuff. I would imagine DVO reviews are only as fake as the reviews of every other fork and shock.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member

Your lbs is shit. Here's my dvo out riot. Diamond front topaz rear. Been riding it for a year. Been flawless. I've had this bike all over my home state of Indiana up to Michigan. Out to pisgah and DuPont out to snow shoe for down hill runs and wind rock Tennessee for down hill runs. I can break anything. Shit I broke my frame in snow shoe. I've desecrated fox forks and shocks as well as rock shock. But dvo has been butter smooth since day one and performes flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member since 1996
    Call DVO and tell them what you heard. I bet they would want to talk to your LBS to find out what reasons they have for saying that. If they had a bad Topaz in the shop I am sure DVO would go out of their way to make it right.

These guys are top notch and are the same people behind the old good Marzocchi. Reliability is huge for them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    They are right. All the DVO reviews are fake. Everyone who posts up here on MTBR is just a paid shill, because that is how DVO works. They pay dozens of people who have been members here for years to write fake posts.

Does that sound reasonable to you, or is it just possible that your shop has some weird bias against DVO? Not everyone has had perfect luck with their Topaz, some had had air leaks, some have had issues with too much high speed compression. What has been consistent is DVO's willingness to fix the leaking shocks and work with individual riders to help them find a tune that works for them. The only other company that I have seen with similar after sales support is Manitou.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    It is someone who works for lbs. 3 other guys there also agree with the first guy opinion

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    They probably have a reason for their opinion. Have they explained why? Guys in a shop often have more exposure to products issues via their customers and service department than do typical riders. They are where people with problems often go. Even with that though, a single shop's population isn't huge and the experience is still relatively anecdotal. They may have seen only one or two problems and/or had a single bad experience with b-to-b support.
    Do the math.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I haven't had the best experience with DVO, but I'd try a Topaz long before I'd buy a Cane Creek product.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Professional Noob
    Complete bull. My friend and I both switched to DVO. Diamond forks for both of us, and he has the Topaz shock (I'm stuck with my Fox DYAD). I'm not as rough on my stuff as he is, but his setup performs flawlessly. I've given his bike a few test rides and never felt anything as good.

There's a DVO Topaz thread in the suspension section. The only common issue seems to be a leaky air seal that is easily fixed by cleaning and re-greasing them. DVO knows about it too.
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I own the Topaz on a Hightower. Only issue I have had was because I used too much grease after changing volume spacers. And the shock blows away the stock Monarch that came stock on everything. Plus I have called and emailed DVO to ask questions about setting up the Topaz for my riding and DVO employees have been more than happy to work with me. I am confident that the new Fox shock is nice but the Topaz might be a good alternative for some. I'd be a little skeptical about your LBS's opinion on fhis wifhout some details.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk