mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Help destroying a reverb

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I couldn't find a proper one.

Abstract: Iīm writing with my left hand partly thanks to my reverb. I want to destroy it as a revenge and being able to see it unharmfully.

Note that I don't usually post here, I just read, as english is not my native language. I hope I can make myself clear:

I own a reverb seatpost that came stock with my tallboy, which has been a pain in the ass.
    I will try to explain all the issues I had with it without sounding too Woody Allen.

It worked flawlessly for some months out of the box. And for some periods between full rebuilds as the positive and negative chamber communicated. The last time I asked for thicker oil so it would last a little more without developing vertical play.

Also, I had problems with it with low temperatures, around 0ļC, the remote oil would freeze and I had to decide between peeing on the whole hose (and bike) to make the saddle ascend, or ruining a weekend trip.

Sometimes, the remote hose went free of the remote, but luckily it only ruined weekday runs and it involved no danger, as I quickly noticed. I would cut a bit of the hose to be sure the inserted part was perfect, pressed it in again and bled it conveniently.

It all worked more or less until last week. Why haven't I changed it? Partly because I'm tightfisted, and partly because of ecology. I try not to discard things until I can no longer fix them.

I was in a well known trail with my son and some friends, and just before an easy jump between boulders, disaster stroke.
    One of my friends had stopped just before the jump to look at at my son, and I was getting close quite quickly. It was my fault not yelling to him I was doing the jump, I thought he had seen me.
    Apparently he hadn't because he didn't move.

I pushed the remote, and the hose went off squirting oil. I couldn't get the saddle down, and as I was looking at the remote and hose, I didn't brake or dodge in time and had to jump to a side not to run over my pal.
    I landed on my right arm and broke my radius and scaphoid bone. 8 weeks with a plaster.
    I had never ever broke anything mountainbiking, and this week has been never-ending for me. I can't imagine having to spend 7 more with this thing on. So as a part of my personal therapy, I'm writing this in hope of a creative solution to destroy that ****er and enjoy the process.

I no longer care about the planet and I have already bought a new dropper, that will continue to look shiny for at least 7 more weeks.

I want to destroy the ****ing reverb, but in Spain is not very easy.
    You can not posess a gun, and shotguns or rifles are only allowed if you are a hunter, so I can not shoot it like in the good old USA.
    I have no access to heavy machinery, dynamite or a hydraulic press.
    I also thought about running over it with my car (which I cannot legally drive with a plaster), but the ****er will surely puncture my tire.

Any ideas on how to blow, smash, tear or finish that thing?
    I own a heavy hammer, but I'm right handed and I would like something a little more satisfying, as I'm not sure I can finish it just with that. ;-)
    Thanks in advance.

mbtr member
    Can't help you man. As an American i solve all my problems with guns. Having all these guns lying around kinda cripples my destructive creativity. On the other hand... guns.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Hydraulic press

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You just need to get rid of it... I simply threw mine in the garbage can after I decided the rebuild process wasn't worth the hassle and strain my on mental wellbeing. I walked down the street to the shop and bought a different post.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry, hombre. I found your post quite amusing though. It might be therapeutic to beat it on a big rock. Wear gloves, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ooops wrong dropper thread. Hahaha.
    Last edited by TwiceHorn; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Best thread... ever.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    fire. lots of fire

mtbr member
    Rather than one totally destructive act, I'd suggest making it suffer over a period of time. Hang it from the roof of your workshop and every time you have a bad day or things are not going to plan, hit it.

You can hit it with a hammer, throw things at it, burn bits of it. Just take your time and let it die slowly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    At least you're medical bills didn't cost an arm and a leg like it does here in the USA!

For your history with this seatpost I think the safest option is to throw it straight in the trash. You might cut a finger off trying to saw it in half with a hack saw or break another bone using the hammer. If you make your own flamethrower you could get burned.

Building your own furnice could be good. You could melt it down for absolute destruction. As a bonus you can use it to make pottery as a new hobby which might be quite relaxing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Bleh it will just destroy itself anyway. Leave it alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cachopo man View Post
    I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I couldn't find a proper one.

Abstract: Iīm writing with my left hand partly thanks to my reverb. I want to destroy it as a revenge and being able to see it unharmfully.

Note that I don't usually post here, I just read, as english is not my native language. I hope I can make myself clear:

I own a reverb seatpost that came stock with my tallboy, which has been a pain in the ass.
    I will try to explain all the issues I had with it without sounding too Woody Allen.

It worked flawlessly for some months out of the box. And for some periods between full rebuilds as the positive and negative chamber communicated. The last time I asked for thicker oil so it would last a little more without developing vertical play.

Also, I had problems with it with low temperatures, around 0ļC, the remote oil would freeze and I had to decide between peeing on the whole hose (and bike) to make the saddle ascend, or ruining a weekend trip.

Sometimes, the remote hose went free of the remote, but luckily it only ruined weekday runs and it involved no danger, as I quickly noticed. I would cut a bit of the hose to be sure the inserted part was perfect, pressed it in again and bled it conveniently.

It all worked more or less until last week. Why haven't I changed it? Partly because I'm tightfisted, and partly because of ecology. I try not to discard things until I can no longer fix them.

I was in a well known trail with my son and some friends, and just before an easy jump between boulders, disaster stroke.
    One of my friends had stopped just before the jump to look at at my son, and I was getting close quite quickly. It was my fault not yelling to him I was doing the jump, I thought he had seen me.

I pushed the remote, and the hose went off squirting oil. I couldn't get the saddle down, and as I was looking at the remote and hose, I didn't brake or dodge in time and had to jump to a side not to run over my pal.
    I landed on my right arm and broke my radius and scaphoid bone. 8 weeks with a plaster.
    I had never ever broke anything mountainbiking, and this week has been never-ending for me. I can't imagine having to spend 7 more with this thing on. So as a part of my personal therapy, I'm writing this in hope of a creative solution to destroy that ****er and enjoy the process.

I no longer care about the planet and I have already bought a new dropper, that will continue to look shiny for at least 7 more weeks.

You can not posess a gun, and shotguns or rifles are only allowed if you are a hunter, so I can not shoot it like in the good old USA.
    I also thought about running over it with my car (which I cannot legally drive with a plaster), but the ****er will surely puncture my tire.

I own a heavy hammer, but I'm right handed and I would like something a little more satisfying, as I'm not sure I can finish it just with that. ;-)
    Thanks in advance.
    Vaya tocho hermano.

mtbr member

Thanks in advance.
    Lol, magnificent. Just read this whole papyrus.

If you hit it with the hammer be sure that the d4mn post will ricochet into your face.

What's your new post?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I agree with the slow, tortuous method. Reverb hate runs deep and strong.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    This is Cachopo Man arriving at his lbs the day he took the reverb to service.

mtbr member
    By the way, my reverb's also breakdown.

You could star the "slay your own reverb challenge" on YouTube or something like that.

Let There Be Rock
    I say you take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    If you're in Spain, you can smash your guitar into it (since everyone there has one). Then dynamite and guns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ugh... how does that happen? Obviously you are really pissed off at the reverb but man, that hose does not pop off on its own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    A lot of the same things happened to my Reverb. Stuck in cold. Poor actuation. Very squishy. And the last thing was the same hose pop off. Didnít warranty/repair since I knew I wasnít going to ever use a Reverb again and didnít want anyone else to have to either. Great idea: sell a product so bad no one wants to use the warranty to replace it!

WillWorkForTrail
    Fire. Enough fire will destroy anything. I recommend you get some beers, gather your friends, and have a bonfire and drink beers. Put the reverb in the fire. If there's anything left of it after the fire goes out and cools, plan to do the same thing again later. Repeat until you can no longer find anything else to burn. Then just have a fire with your friends and drink beers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Ugh... how does that happen? Obviously you are really pissed off at the reverb but man, that hose does not pop off on its own.
    I can assure you it was exactly like that. I pressed the button, and it ejected the hose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Rather than one totally destructive act, I'd suggest making it suffer over a period of time. Hang it from the roof of your workshop and every time you have a bad day or things are not going to plan, hit it.

You can hit it with a hammer, throw things at it, burn bits of it. Just take your time and let it die slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Fire. Enough fire will destroy anything. I recommend you get some beers, gather your friends, and have a bonfire and drink beers. Put the reverb in the fire. If there's anything left of it after the fire goes out and cools, plan to do the same thing again later. Repeat until you can no longer find anything else to burn. Then just have a fire with your friends and drink beers.
    I like both your suggestions. Iīll may mix both...

Anytime. Anywhere.
    During the few months I've been working at a shop I've seen plenty of of Reverbs and they almost all feel like crap. One is on a consignment bike and over a few months of sitting it's stopped working. We don't stock them, and definitely don't recommend them.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think I know what happened. The barb on the remote end is threaded. So you're suppose the screw the hose onto the barb (or barb into the hose). If you just slip the hose over the barb, it doesn't grip well and the pressure from the oil will pop the hose off.
    Its happened to my buddy on the trail, except he ripped the hose off the barb (without it breaking). I had to cut the old part of the hose off and thread the fresh part back onto the barb

Why Rock Shox didn't go with an olive/barb connection like that of hydraulic brakes, we'll never know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I can assure you it was exactly like that. I pressed the button, and it ejected the hose.
    How did you install it? Now I'm just imagining the amount of torque one could exert with the remote button and its not much at all. Also, this isn't me defending the reverb but I'm not seeing how the hose if installed correctly can just pop off. And as for your revenge, drive over it with your truck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    How did you install it? Now I'm just imagining the amount of torque one could exert with the remote button and its not much at all. Also, this isn't me defending the reverb but I'm not seeing how the hose if installed correctly can just pop off. And as for your revenge, drive over it with your truck!
    Anything can happen when Cachopohands are at work

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    @ the-one1

I think you mean this:
    https://www.bikeinn.com/f/13633/1363...erb-remote.jpg

Yes, its threaded. Yes, it pops out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Help destroying a reverb-whatsapp-image-2018-09-24-19.52.46.jpgI now know why it popped. The threaded part of the needle was broken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes, that's the part. The small end is also threaded. The hose is supposed the screw onto the barb. As for it breaking, that's why they should have gone to the same connection interface as brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Yes, that's the part. The small end is also threaded. The hose is supposed the screw onto the barb. As for it breaking, that's why they should have gone to the same connection interface as brakes.
    Best solution to reverbs and their silly hyd actuation is to use either the bike yoke dehy kit or the wolftooth remote sustain system and be rid of the hydraulic actuation. After that, it is not a horrible post.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Why go with something that works when there are other options available?

mtbr member
    Buttock fingers!

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-09-24 at 19.52.46.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  14.2 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Can very well relate with your pain.. Its one of the worst cycling part ever produced on this earth.. and on top of it worst is the company - RockShox that produced this product.. shame on them..

One suggestion is to cyber-torture the product and the company..

mtbr member
    Mail it to a gun shop in Texas and write on the box "please include this package with the next purchase of tannerite"

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

May contain nuts
    Fire it out of a cannon, in honour of all the other muppets that canít work on Reverbs. Itís what Gonzo would do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You might get some satisfaction with an electric hand grinder.

urmb
    ďNothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.Ē ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    I say you take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Classic

mtbr member
    Really? No one mentioned the real way to destroy a reverb?

Drop it down some and pull up on it.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Really? No one mentioned the real way to destroy a reverb?

Drop it down some and pull up on it.
    Yup ...

Dare you to do that in cold weather just for grins...

Oh or just look at it wrong....

2 words ... Bike Yoke

mtbr member
    I hate the Reverb. I have had three of them (I bought one, one came on a bike, and one was a warranty replacement for the one that came on a bike).

I rebuild them ALL multiple times. The warranted one, and the warranty one were both rebuilt 6 times in 6 months. I have had all of my reverbs get stuck in the down position during rides (thankfully, I have been able to just loosen the post in the seat tube, and raise the whole thing up and be fine).

I rebuild the warranty replacement one with parts from the hardware store (orings and such) and it has now lasted 2 years with needing nothing other than a remote bleed one time.

Still a piece of junk. One is sitting in pieces in my basement. Maybe I'll rebuild it. Id rather just buy another Transfer. 2 years without so much as even touching it. Hot, cold, upsidedown or being pulled up on, it doesn't care.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I hate the Reverb. I have had three of them (I bought one, one came on a bike, and one was a warranty replacement for the one that came on a bike).

I rebuild them ALL multiple times. The warranted one, and the warranty one were both rebuilt 6 times in 6 months. I have had all of my reverbs get stuck in the down position during rides (thankfully, I have been able to just loosen the post in the seat tube, and raise the whole thing up and be fine).

I rebuild the warranty replacement one with parts from the hardware store (orings and such) and it has now lasted 2 years with needing nothing other than a remote bleed one time.

Still a piece of junk. One is sitting in pieces in my basement. Maybe I'll rebuild it. Id rather just buy another Transfer. 2 years without so much as even touching it. Hot, cold, upsidedown or being pulled up on, it doesn't care.
    Simple fix for the ďair past the u-cup sealĒ is too replace it with an o-ring.

Ride, Race, Live
    OP . See if you can find a construction site and have one of the big roller machines run it over. Get it nice and flat. Take video of the flattening.
    Then get a friend to video you saying
    " the only good Reverb is a dead Reverb"
    Edit it all together, and post on YouTube, and here of course.
    Email a link to SRAM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    Email a link to SRAM.
    I wouldnít do that if Iím on a seam drivetrain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    OP . See if you can find a construction site and have one of the big roller machines run it over. Get it nice and flat. Take video of the flattening.
    Then get a friend to video you saying
    " the only good Reverb is a dead Reverb"
    Edit it all together, and post on YouTube, and here of course.
    Email a link to SRAM.
    Ha Ha.. they are thick skin and shameless. I have done that and received most garbled reply from them. Per them, you should not ride in muddy or sandy condition as that will contaminate the seatpost.
    Itís this contamination that lead to the damage of the critical sealing surfaces of the seat post. This damage from contamination is not considered a manufacturing defect.
    Depending upon your frame design, itís possible for water and/or contamination to enter the post from the inside of the seat tube.
    So, your frame and your riding conditions have to be blamed for anything you do with the Reverb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neogen View Post
    Per them, you should not ride in muddy or sandy condition as that will contaminate the seatpost.
    Did they actually say that? about a mountain bike seatpost??

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Did they actually say that? about a mountain bike seatpost??
    From one of the email from them:

Iíve attached photos that were taken during the inspection of your seat post. These photos show a significant amount of contamination inside the seat post. Itís this contamination that lead to the damage of the critical sealing surfaces of the seat post. This damage from contamination is not considered a manufacturing defect.
    Judging by the high degree of contamination in your post, it would appear to me that you regularly ride in muddy conditions. Depending upon your frame design, itís possible for water and/or contamination to enter the post from the inside of the seat tube.
    Open for interpretation, please.

mtbr member
    Do you service your posts? Ever?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Do you service your posts? Ever?
    Indeed, and that too regularly, including bleeding once.. It failed just after 6 months!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neogen View Post
    Indeed, and that too regularly, including bleeding once.. It failed just after 6 months!
    I guess they were just firing a standard get-out at you.