Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    update on the easy DIY service on the GD. I have a second GD with about a year on it, used it on 2 different bikes. Yesterday it would not stay in the down position, first time I have had issues with this one. 10 minutes of reading on the GD site and two minutes tightening the top cap and it is back to working perfectly. Love the GD!
    It can be a little finiky but once you get it dialed in it works great. I put a little thread lock on the top cap and then tighten and test it so that it stays where it works. I just ordered new shims for inside my shaft since it started to get a little front to back movement.
    Last edited by bertrenolds; 06-26-2015 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I figured it was a long period of use before needing this minor tweak. When I get to the point of re-greasing and taking apart, I'll likely use your locktite tip.

mtbr member
    don't use a lot of it, I only did it because I was having issues with the cap coming loose constantly.

Poacher, Oaktown Honkie
    Sep 2010
    1st big ride on Gravity Dropper today. Works great. My KS LEV is for sale. Thomson keeps replacing parts, or entire posts because they don't work longer than 8 months. I am really liking the Gravity Dropper. The main thing, is after reading so many great reviews of the Gravity Dropper RELIABILITY, I feel good about taking it on a long weekend, or road trip, knowing it's not going to stop working far from home or bike shop. GD is really dropping the ball on styling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    1st big ride on Gravity Dropper today. Works great. My KS LEV is for sale. Thomson keeps replacing parts, or entire posts because they don't work longer than 8 months. I am really liking the Gravity Dropper. The main thing, is after reading so many great reviews of the Gravity Dropper RELIABILITY, I feel good about taking it on a long weekend, or road trip, knowing it's not going to stop working far from home or bike shop. GD is really dropping the ball on styling.
    Who cares what it looks like if it just works? The good thing is if you do have to tweak the post you can do everything yourself. I have no complaints about my post, i just replaced my shims and its good as new. Make sure you watch the video on their website about properly adjusting the top cap as it needs a little tweaking here and there, i use a little locktite on the threads and dial it in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A month later from my last post, just did the normal maintenance on the post, took apart, wiped clean, reassembled--works like a dream again--15 minutes!

To be totally honest, one thing that irks me on this post is the seat clamp. I noticed my seat rails were slide all the way back and adjusting, lossening nd tightening, although ataightforward is made hard to do because the boot is in the way, and that aggravating half moon piece which is the real culprit. I keep saying I am going to use an old Thomson clamp but have been lazy, in fact I may have sole that old Thomson?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anybody using shims to fit these? I'm not sure if I want to take that route yet, but I may be worried about nothing...

I have a Trance with 30.9 diameter seat tube currently fitted with Reverb Stealth and an On One Fatty with 31.6 diameter seat tube with regular seatpost for cold weather winter riding. I'm considering selling the Reverb and getting GD Turbo LP and switch it between the two bikes every spring and fall.

I was thinking of getting a 30.9 version and a 31.6 shim so that it will fit both bikes.

Any issues with this idea? Or should I just buy 31.6 GD for the Fatty and keep 30.9 Reverb for Trance and avoid using shims? Truth is I can't afford two droppers anyway.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Sounds fine to me. I used my 27.2 GD with a shim in a 31.6 bike when the 31.6 dropper was away for service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used a shim for 6 years without issue. 27.2 post shimmed to 30.9 frame.

mtbr member

Help! Seal pulled past the collar.

I've had my GD for 6 months and love it, but after my last ride (which was super wet and muddy), it got left in the down position for a few hours due to my bike being on the car rack with another bike. It seems that some mud dried up between the inner post and the seals, causing it to bind. Long story short, I had to pull up the post and didn't notice that as I was doing so, part 56 pulled up beyond the collar (part 62). So, now I'm wondering what the best way is to get 62 back into it's rightful spot without destroying it. Does anyone know if I can remove the plastic fins (part 42) and get them back on easily? Or is there another way to accomplish this?

Name:  906085d1404596225t-gravity-dropper-turbo-lp-turbo-parts-diagram.png
Views: 411
Size:  52.8 KB
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Alright, I figured it out myself. To get 56 back in its rightful place below the top cap, I removed the shims, slipped the necessary parts off, re-ordered, slid back on and then put the shims back in. I was a bit worried that the shims wouldn't work right after being removed and re-inserted, but they seem just fine.

As for how the original problem (the binding) came about, even after the post was all cleaned up, re-assembled and put back on the bike, the post was still binding and threatening to pull 56 back through the top cap. So, I took a rubber mallet and spanked the crap out of the top cap while the post was assembled. This was based on one of GD's maintenance videos, but I was still skeptical that it would work. Well, color me wrong, because it did!

While this was a bit of an annoying process to go through, I'm actually happy it happened as I now understand how the whole contraption works, how to adjust it in terms of spring tension, locking position, etc and how to do the "full" rebuild (which is ridiculously simple). All in all, I'm actually happier with the GD now, as it is so so simple to pull apart and work on.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a GD turbo LP 30.9 with 1" and 5" drop I've had for 1 season. I'm selling it cheap $150 since my new frame is set up for stealth cable routing. If anyone wants it let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The turbo lp has been out for a while now. Anybody know if GD is going to update it?

edit: I emailed them and they said they don't have any updates planned.
    Last edited by buell; 07-14-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 27