mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Good Stem for Aggressive XC/AM - 70-80mm lenght and 6 degree

Hi,

I'am looking for nice quality, strong stem, with 70mm (eventually 80mm) lenght option and 6 degree for aggressive xc/AM use.
    I have, a RF Turbine Bar, so i thought about Turbine stem(good reviews on bikeradar.com Race Face Turbine stem review - BikeRadar) but i found also a lot of opinion and pictures with cracked turbine stem, so i'am looking for something else
    The question is - what do you recommend ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlos View Post
    Hi,

I'am looking for nice quality, strong stem, with 70mm (eventually 80mm) lenght option and 6 degree for aggressive xc/AM use.
    I have, a RF Turbine Bar, so i thought about Turbine stem(good reviews on bikeradar.com Race Face Turbine stem review - BikeRadar) but i found also a lot of opinion and pictures with cracked turbine stem, so i'am looking for something else
    The question is - what do you recommend ?
    Syntace Megaforce 2 and you're done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Syntace Megaforce 2 and you're done.
    Agree 100%........... Nothing else to see here.

Sedona, Az USA
    aggressive stems are not 80mm in length. that is road and old school XC lengths

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel View Post
    Why? If it's what fits and feels good, what does it matter? My Remedy came with an 80mm. Been running it for quite a while. We did a downhill day a few weeks ago, and I tossed on a much shorter stem, only to put the 80mm back on after two runs. I'm dancing between a 70 and an 80 right now, not sure which I like better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nothing wrong with rocking a slightly longer stem especially if the bikes geometry isn't designed around a shorter stem. If you feel most comfortable with a 70-80mm stem than that's what you should use. The biggest thing it will impact is your performance on internet forums.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel View Post
    Jared Graves rides a 100mm stem on his XC bike.

I'm guessing he's a bit more "aggressive" than you, on any kind of bike.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    Nothing wrong with rocking a slightly longer stem especially if the bikes geometry isn't designed around a shorter stem. If you feel most comfortable with a 70-80mm stem than that's what you should use. The biggest thing it will impact is your performance on internet forums.
    Awesome^ + rep!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for all reply.
    Honestly, i thought about something little cheaper than a Syntace(almost twice Thomson Elite price, is a lot for a stem), like Ritchey WCS C260, Race Face Evolve, Easton EA70.
    But if Syntace is really recommended, hmm...i will think about it.
    F109 is just as good choice like Megaforce ?

since 4/10/2009
    I have a RF Turbine stem. It's plenty effective and no cracks in a year of use. I have a 60mm flavored one. Stems are a fit component. Use whatever length fits for you.

Where are these cracks you're reading reports about? On the faceplate? I'm going to go out on a limb and say to discount nearly every stem faceplate crack you see on the interwebs. Why? Improper installation. Do a search of this forum for "torque wrench" and you'll find a LOT of people who refuse to use even a basic torque key for clamp interfaces. I'll also bet that a lot of people don't tighten stem faceplate bolts evenly in a star pattern as recommended by nearly every manufacturer (minus a few that use a slightly different faceplate design, in which cases you should tighten them according to mfr recommendations).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Awesome^ + rep!
    Thanks

For stems I forgot to mention for a good affordable stem I always liked the truvative aka line of stems. I've had a few over the years and never had any issues.

Al

mtbr member
    I'm running a Race Face Turbine Stem. I run a 90 MM on my Bronson. It works for me and doesn't inpede my internet performance. I weight 250 plus with all my gear. It's been on my bike for over a year and has survived 3' drops and countless down hill sections.

Try to borrow different length stems from your LBS and ride with them on your normal trails till you find the one.
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C