Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
    With the weather change I noticed my post is not popping up like it used to. How much air pressure should I put in the canister?
    I run a Command Post, but it's a similar design...why aren't you running it at max pressure?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
    With the weather change I noticed my post is not popping up like it used to. How much air pressure should I put in the canister?
    I had to put the max plus a few more lbs last year on cold fall/winter night rides. Still working like new after 2 years and lots of use.

mtbr member
    Incredible post. Best on the market, IMO.
    I've owned several (Reverb, Lev, Joplin, Kronolog) and tried the Thomson and the DOSS is by far my favourite.
    Best lever too, assuming you're running a 1x and can use it where the front shifter usually goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The FOX is the best post, bullet-proof. So far not a single issue. Have had problems with every other post I've tried.

My KS LEV has problems holding the seat where I want it and it slides back when things get serious. I go for the next climb and its slammed all the way back. Sometimes I have to stop and readjust it just to get up the next hill if it's a long one. Very annoying. Have snapped the bolts trying to get it to stop, tried friction grease on the rails, nothing works. Same seats on all the bikes, so its not that either. Never been an issue with the Fox.

The LEV also gets stuck from time to time or wont go down all the way. Stops about 1"-2" from the bottom a lot. New cable and new adjustment on the LEV and it works for a while, then it happens again. Love the unlimited settings of it, but if I had to choose one it would be the Fox over the LEV just because its so reliable.

I do wish they would make a 150mm version of the Fox. That is a big factor in why I got that LEV after buying two Fox DOSS, The bike it's on needs it. I would've gone for a 160mm if they made one.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if Fox has any plans to do a stealth version of the DOSS?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    it doesn't seem like Fox has done any changes since the release of this post. Now that they just purchased RaceFace and Easton they may come up with some new designs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am honestly surprised at the great feedback here and the very poor experience with mine.

I had mine for 4 rides. First ride I noticed about 1 mm front to back play. By ride 3, the post had developed vertical play. This was to the point that when seated, there would be a loud knocking on almost every bump I hit while seated. Changing air pressures did not help.

I called fox, they responded that the front to back play was not normal and should be a RMA. They said however the vertical play was normal and how the post was designed. After a 4th ride, the constant knocking of post up and down over things was ridiculous. I used Competitive Cyclist's 30 day return window and swapped it out for a Thompson dropper.

Glad so many are having good reviews, perhaps I just got a bad model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Like any product, there is a defect rate that is expected. I sell products from all over the world and I can tell you the percentage based on the country of origin within 1% for most items I've dealt with. Those numbers are factored in and I rarely question a return and just chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

It's too bad they did not offer you a replacement. I'm sure if you had pushed a little harder they would have at least let you send it in to investigate the noise you spoke of. I have had nothing but good experiences with their customer service so it surprises me to hear that. They have a customer for life with me, and they missed that opportunity with you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone rebuilt one of these? I've had mine for about a year and a half and this bike only gets ridden about once a week, I'm noticing it's starting to feel rougher than it used to. I put a little Fox Green oil on the stanchion, cycled it a few times, and wiped the excess, but I feel like I'm just buying time until the grit and grime in there grinds the insides away to nothingness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Remove the air valve and add 1or2 cc of oil in the air chamber. this should remove the rough feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Has anyone rebuilt one of these? I've had mine for about a year and a half and this bike only gets ridden about once a week, I'm noticing it's starting to feel rougher than it used to. I put a little Fox Green oil on the stanchion, cycled it a few times, and wiped the excess, but I feel like I'm just buying time until the grit and grime in there grinds the insides away to nothingness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Use the regular green suspension oil?

Any need to disassemble further? I want to get rid of all the grit and dirt that is assuredly building up in there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Fox Float oil will probably work perfectly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any oil use in shock will do, since it play the same role.
    I autopsied my Doss drop post (from my bike who flight off the my roof). from the look of it, it need two special tools . Since it was broke in half, I don't know the open procedure.

mtbr member
    Well I've been looking at dropper seat post for a while and reading, reading, reading..

Reading so much reviews and forum posts about all the different dropper posts it started to stress me out..

So this morning I woke up and just pulled the trigger on a Fox DOSS 5" travel. Hope I don't regret it.. Time will tell...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Plus it's easy to swap from summer bike to fat bike.

mtbr member
    Got my seatpost today and installed, cant wait to use tomorrow.. Feels and looks very nice.. Pics just because..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox D.O.S.S adjustable seatpost thread-20150324_172134_resized.jpg  

Fox D.O.S.S adjustable seatpost thread-20150324_184307_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Take care to have it full extend when you check or add air, I say that because it's easiest to remove when it's compress. have fun. juste pasted a full -10f winter with it, no hassle execept add air every once in a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just pulled the trigger on a 5" DOSS after my fourth reverb dying, fingers crossed this one will be bullet proof. SRAM and my LBS have been great and have warrantied the post each time, I am just sick of dealing with it. I am excited to try a 3 position post out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I love the set three positions and the control . . .time will tell on reliability

mtbr member
    Folks,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my DOSS, and wanted to check here before I send it back to Fox. It doesn't want to return full when its in the full down position. It will occasionally, but normally it falls just a bit short, so when i sit on it, it clicks into place in the middle position. So I have to flip the lever again to get it to full extension.

Cable tension is ok, not loose (and don't think it's too tight, if that would make a difference.) I check the air pressure the other day and it was 25. After I checked the PSI, it had no issues returning to full extension, and quickly I might add. But after sitting for a week, it's back acting up again.

Seatpost collar is also not over torqued.

Any ideas what might be going on, or things for me to check?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Folks,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my DOSS, and wanted to check here before I send it back to Fox. It doesn't want to return full when its in the full down position. It will occasionally, but normally it falls just a bit short, so when i sit on it, it clicks into place in the middle position. So I have to flip the lever again to get it to full extension.

Cable tension is ok, not loose (and don't think it's too tight, if that would make a difference.) I check the air pressure the other day and it was 25. After I checked the PSI, it had no issues returning to full extension, and quickly I might add. But after sitting for a week, it's back acting up again.

Seatpost collar is also not over torqued.

Any ideas what might be going on, or things for me to check?
    Is your housing length sufficient? I cut mine just BARELY too short and had to compensate by putting a little extra air in it to get it to pull the housing with more force during full extension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Did you try adding more tension. start with 2 turns and see how it react.

mtbr member
    Yes, housing is more than fine, I did check that and the routing both.

I can try adding more tension this afternoon, but it's fairly taught already IIRC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The reason a told you so, it' because something similar happened to me with my second Doss.
    it's been like if the remote was not pulling enough mechanism to engage lock in full up position, but instead it was engaging the lock in the middle position on its way back down. It needed a second remote actuation to lock it up.

mtbr member
    Ah, ok, I see what you're saying. I'll try adding some more tension when I get home.

It's odd, sometimes returns very slowly, almost like it's getting stuck on the way up or something. Other times it shoots right up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    It's odd, sometimes returns very slowly, almost like it's getting stuck on the way up or something. Other times it shoots right up.
    Make sure you have lubrification in the air chamber, 2cc of any shock oil will do. If you check or adjust your air pressure often, their is chance it went dry. other than that i cant see... Look like a waranty issue.
    -just talking- For what I can remember, from my old pieces appart Doss. The lock mechanism roll on bearing...so 2+2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Name:  large_Fox_Shox_2013_CTD-7.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  126.3 KB
    Take a look at post number 64. maybe

mtbr member
    I think the cable tension trick may have worked. I've not ridden it yet, but it seems to be more consistent in the garage. First actuation or two are a bit slow in spots, but after that it seems to shoot right up to full height quickly and with no issues or stickiness.

If this works, I def have way more tension on it that I'd expect was needed.

mtbr member
    Maybe I just haven't dug around enough, but does anyone know if there are alternate levers that are easier to use with a 2x setup? I saw the mention of Graves using it with an XTR lever but not sure that would help on a 2x setup. I've got a DOSS on my SB66, which is 1x, and a Reverb on my fatbike, which is 2x. Both are 30.9 so I can switch with ease. Problem is that I hate the DOSS on top of the bar, but the Reverb sucks when it gets really cold. DOSS seems ok in the cold. Would love the DOSS on the fatbike for the winter with a better lever for 2x use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Before I switched to 1x I was using a grip shift shifter on the left. I actually liked that setup quite a bit. I still have the shifter if you need one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Maybe I just haven't dug around enough, but does anyone know if there are alternate levers that are easier to use with a 2x setup? I saw the mention of Graves using it with an XTR lever but not sure that would help on a 2x setup. I've got a DOSS on my SB66, which is 1x, and a Reverb on my fatbike, which is 2x. Both are 30.9 so I can switch with ease. Problem is that I hate the DOSS on top of the bar, but the Reverb sucks when it gets really cold. DOSS seems ok in the cold. Would love the DOSS on the fatbike for the winter with a better lever for 2x use.
    I run a 2x on my sb66 and sb95. I've tried just about everything and have just learned to live with the lever on top. It's hard to find anything else thst works because you need the leverage and pull of that long lever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just installed a DOSS yesterday ($164 @ Amazon) and was immediately disappointed in the amount of play there is both side to side and, worse, frontward and backward.

If I rock the saddle front to back I can see the play where the sanction tube meets the stationary post. Now, it might be only be a couple/few millimeters, but it's enough to create a slight knocking sound. I've got the 5" version and the play is at its worst with the post at full length. The play is reduced approx 50% when in the 40mm drop position and it's almost none existent when down all the way. I've done a pretty thorough search and there does not appear to be anything I can do to remedy this.

This is my first dropper post, so I'm not sure if a little bit of play is acceptable. My first thought was to send it back for a full refund, but thought I'd seek advice from those more knowledgeable before going that route. Any words of wisdom others could share would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575 View Post
    Just installed a DOSS yesterday ($164 @ Amazon) and was immediately disappointed in the amount of play there is both side to side and, worse, frontward and backward.

If I rock the saddle front to back I can see the play where the sanction tube meets the stationary post. Now, it might be only be a couple/few millimeters, but it's enough to create a slight knocking sound. I've got the 5" version and the play is at its worst with the post at full length. The play is reduced approx 50% when in the 40mm drop position and it's almost none existent when down all the way. I've done a pretty thorough search and there does not appear to be anything I can do to remedy this.

This is my first dropper post, so I'm not sure if a little bit of play is acceptable. My first thought was to send it back for a full refund, but thought I'd seek advice from those more knowledgeable before going that route. Any words of wisdom others could share would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
    This is why I no longer own mine.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but a product like this should be flawless out of the box.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    D
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575 View Post

TIA
    If there is even .5mm of play something is wrong. My buddy has been on a used DOSS for 2 years and he does no maintenance until something breaks. His is surprisingly fine.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mine has play too but has otherwise been bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    FWIW, Fox was excellent in getting back to me. They said itís perfectly normal to have a few mm of play when the post is at full length. They also said there should be zero knocking (mineís very slight). Suggested I ride for a while and if it gets worse, send it in on their dime for inspec/repair.

Unfortunately, winter is ďalmostĒ here in Maine and Iíll be switching over to my fatty soon. Hate to have to deal with this next Spring/Summer. Decisions, decisions....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    FWIW, Fox was excellent in getting back to me. They said a few mm of play is standard when the post is at full length. Also said there should not be any knocking sounds (mineís very slight). Suggested I continue to ride it and send it in, on their dime, if the problem gets worse.

For what I paid, Iím thinking I might just hold on to it.

Merendon Junkie
    Has anyone used a frame adapter like the saris bike beam with their DOSS? I fear that the cable stop will get damaged. Should I be concerned?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox D.O.S.S adjustable seatpost thread-image.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123