Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Are the 2013 models of the SM3 with the updated foam in stock now at suppliers like BTI?
    No. The 2013 SM3 will not hit N. American soil until late April or early May.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    No. The 2013 SM3 will not hit N. American soil until late April or early May.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Thanks Jeff!

Can you please post up when the 2013 SM3 L is available, and where?

Thanks!

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    May 2013
    They will be available at Brazil?

Ergon Bike
    You will need to check with the Brazilian distributor to see if they are stocking the SM3. Their contact is...

Vanguarda Sports
    Rua Maria Candida, 1372
    Vila Gullherme
    Sao Paulo

E-Mail: daniel@vanguardasports.com.br
    Homepage: :: VANGUARDA ::

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any reviews on the new road saddle?

mtbr member

Ergon SM3 saddle

I won a large black pro sm3 at annadel Xc recently. I have the same saddle on all road and mtb bikes (spesh phenom 143), so not sure I am going to try it or not. It's about the width I think I need and looks great...just not really looking for a new saddle and kinda like having the same one to be conditioned on, instead of having a diff saddle one one bike. Anyone looking for one?
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    SR3 road saddle reviews, anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm wondering about an SME3 review, there seems to be few reviews.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Does anyone know if the ti rail vs carbon rail saddle have any difference in give or flex.
    Another example question would be is there better vibration in one or the other?
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Hey Jeff,
    Could you explain the actual differences in the SM3 (MTB specific) and the SR3 (road specific)? They look almost identical.
    Also, it seems the beef with these saddles is with the perennial area being too firm and/or not relieved enough. What is/was the thought behind that?
    Thanks!
    SB5c stock w/ENVE option
    '07 575 XT
    SB95c XTR/ENVE (retired)
    SB95a Pro build (retired)

Ergon Bike
    The SM saddles vs the SR saddle....
    - The SR is much firmer than the SM saddles.
    - The nose on the SR is also not as padded as the SM saddles.
    - SR saddle in general is lower profile.
    - Due to the constant state of sitting, the SR saddle has less organic shaping. The SM saddles have more rounded corners due to the on/off the saddle while riding.

There is not a large relief in our saddles for 1 big reason, these tend to lead to more issue rather than solve issues. Deep reliefs or holes in the saddles create ridges....which tend to push into rider soft tissue. With saddle our research, we found the deepest relief you can make with out causing issues to the rider soft tissue is 6mm deep. Our SMC3 has the deepest relief offering of 6mm. Rest of our saddles have minimal relief. If a rider is having issues in the perennial area with any brand of saddle it comes down to 2 things; saddle height and the rider sitting too far forward on the saddle. We have found through our years of research, going to events, talking with riders, etc......there there are a handful of commonalities being seen...
    - Most riders on a saddle that is too narrow
    - Most riders saddles are too far back, forcing them too the narrow part of saddle.
    - Most riders saddles are too high.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA
    Last edited by ERGON; 05-26-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

mtbr member
    There is not a large relief in our saddles for 1 big reason, these tend to lead to more issue rather than solve issues. Deep reliefs or holes in the saddles create ridges....which tend to push into rider soft tissue. With saddle our research, we found the deepest relief you can make with out causing issues to the rider soft tissue is 6mm deep. Our SMC3 has the deepest relief offering of 6mm. Rest of our saddles have minimal relief. If a rider is having issues in the perennial area with any brand of saddle it comes down to 2 things; saddle height and the rider sitting too far forward on the saddle. We have found through our years of research, going to events, talking with riders, etc......there there are a handful of commonalities being seen...
    - Most riders on a saddle that is too narrow
    - Most riders saddles are too far back.
    - Most riers saddles are too high.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA
    Informative response, Jeff...thanks. Disregard the inquiry on Roadbike R. So, it looks like I could use an SM saddle on my roadie and just switch out.

Some have said that unlike some saddles, the preferred positioning is slightly nose-down. Is that how the designers envisioned it?
    SB5c stock w/ENVE option
    '07 575 XT
    SB95c XTR/ENVE (retired)

Ergon Bike
    There are handful of Ergon saddle now. Here it is broken down...
    SMR3: MTB race saddle
    SMC3: MTB comfort saddle
    SME3: Enduro/gravity/all-mtn saddle
    SR3: Road
    SRX3: CX

Nose down varies from rider to rider. Many of our racers, me included, are about 1 to 2 degrees nose down. This rocks the sitbones forward which translates to about 1-2 extra watts per pedal stroke. This has been measured and proven via an SRM. Of course, this position isn't for everyone. Also, no, this wasn't figured into the design of the saddle. The main key points which all our saddles have in common...
    1. Thin shell
    2. sit bone pockets formed into the shell. 3 widths available: S, M, L
    4. floating rail system which pushes away trail/road feedback.
    5. Ride specific tuning. Each saddle has been designed for its intended riding application.

As we tell all consumers/athletes, saddles are tricky. Find what works for you....adjust how you need it. Everyone is different. We'd love to have every rider on an Ergon saddle. We know that isn't 100% possible, but are willing to go to great lengths with design and testing to make the saddle decision that much easier.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA

mtbr member
    Jeff, one last question (I promise)...where would the older SM3 Pro Carbon model fit in the new line-up?
    SB5c stock w/ENVE option
    '07 575 XT
    SB95c XTR/ENVE (retired)

Ergon Bike
    The old SM3 would be closest to the new SMR3. The SMR3 has upgrades; better foam (same used in high-end running shoes) and a shell where the thigh/wing area has a bit more flex.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Hi Jeff,
    I was wondering what the difference between the Fiberglass Composite shell and Carbon Fiber Composite. Is one going to have more flex/give than the other? I currently have a SM3-S Pro and so far have enjoyed the saddle. I have noticed on longer rides 12hrs and up on the endurance end sit bone points tend to get a little sore. I am looking to buy another product which would would be used for long distance gravel touring and your fit guide keeps putting me to the new srx3-pro. Do you have any suggestions?

Ergon Bike
    The Fiberglass composite is an Ergon made material that we also use use to make our barends, found on such models as the GP3 and GS3. In easy to understand terms, it is a highly impact resistant plastic. Carbon fiber is exactly what it says. Same material used in bike frames, handlebars, etc.

Only differences will be weight and vibration damping. The carbon fiber models are the lightest and offer the most vibration resistance.

If you are on the SM3-S Pro now, but want softer, look at the SMC3 Pro. This is new comfort mtb saddle for 2015...
    SMC3 Pro
    This will offer softer foam, a deeper relief channel, TiNox rails, and a carbon shell.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    If you are on the SM3-S Pro now, but want softer, look at the SMC3 Pro. This is new comfort mtb saddle for 2015...
    What would the diffeernce be between the SMC3 pro and the SMR3 pro?

and thanks for the quick responses also.

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Logover View Post
    What would the diffeernce be between the SMC3 pro and the SMR3 pro?
    The SMR3 and SMC3 replace the former SM3.

The SMR3 is a full blown mtb race saddle. Firm, lightweight, and similar to the old SM3, but with new foam (see below)

The SMC3 is same shape as SMR3, but has thicker/deeper foam. It's more of the "every day riders" saddle. It also has a 6mm deep relief channel.

All our Pro level saddles offer carbon shells and TiNox rails.

So, when you say you like the SM3 shape, but want a bit more forgiveness in the later hours of a ride, I point you to the SMC3....which has the SM3 shape, but softer foam.

Note, all our saddle now utilize a new foam. We are the only company in the industry using this foam. The foam is the same that is found in high end running shoes by brands like Adidas. It is designed to never break down, hold its form, and offer more shock absorption.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    The SMR3 and SMC3 replace the former SM3.

The SMR3 is a full blown mtb race saddle. Firm, lightweight, and similar to the old SM3, but with new foam (see below)

The SMC3 is same shape as SMR3, but has thicker/deeper foam. It's more of the "every day riders" saddle. It also has a 6mm deep relief channel.

All our Pro level saddles offer carbon shells and TiNox rails.

So, when you say you like the SM3 shape, but want a bit more forgiveness in the later hours of a ride, I point you to the SMC3....which has the SM3 shape, but softer foam.
    Excellent, sorry little slow sometimes. SMC3-Pro small on order. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Dear Jeff

Good to see your support and respnses. As i about to buy a new saddle (at the moment 130mm Selle Superflow) i need some advice.
    My seat bones are 113mm and online wizard advised M ad that seems to be correct as my current one is to narrow, but my question is about versions.
    I'm gonna to use it for all day AM rides and need to forget about my but and start to admire views. Can you give some more info about E version? What are the dofferences from C version? More cushion, better for long trips, can be used without padded shorts?

@ guestion for all.

Was considering also WTB Pure or Selle Max flite Gel flow SLR anyone can compare to Ergon?

Ergon Bike
    The SMC3 vs the SME3....

The SMC3, as mentioned above, is a comfort mtb saddle. It's designed for all day general mountain bike riding. Think XC style riding with your buddies on your local trails. Your not a racer, you just want to have fun, be comfy. Yes, the SMC3 will have the thickest foam out of all our saddles.

The SME3 is designed around the rigors of more gravity based riding, specifically enduro'ish riding where you are seated to climb as much as ride long descents. The only similarities the SME3 to the SMC3 will have is the pockets in the saddle shell and the sizing. So, if you measure out to a M saddle, you are a M is all the Ergon saddles. The SME3 over the SMC3 will be shorter in the nose and also have a more organic rounded shape (no hard edges/angles). The shorter nose and rounded off shape helps to deflect the legs, clothing, etc when descending for a long time. The SME3 is most at home on any dropper post

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Jeff

Thanks a lot for info.
    Taking above in account, my feelings firstly went to C but later on i got confused so let me clarify more my usage and needs.

AM style with enduro elements
    Learning how to pass drops and tech sections
    Still need to climb many times
    Rather on-seat position
    Long daily distances
    Used with RS dropper post

Would You recommend to stick with C??

Ergon Bike
    Would suggest the SME3 based on your usage and needs listed above. The SME3 is great mix of seated comfort and out of the way for DH speed. It's there when you need it.

I would only point you toward the SMC3 if your need of "Long Daily Distances" is measured over the 50 mile mark.

Using myself as an example, I use the SME3 when visiting bike parks, big mountain technical rides here in Colorado, on my 140mm and 160mm trail bikes. A few folks local to me on the SMC3 are core male/female mtbers. Riding their 100mm full-suspension bikes for 2 hours at a time, maybe 3-4 times a week after work.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Now i see that provided not enough info.

1. Hard to admi but i ride regurally 2-3 times a week, but when i manage to do so than i have 5-7hours of freedom than i do maybe 30-40 miles max.
    2. No bikeparks around, rather easy trails.
    3. Real opportuniry to Enduro are dedicated trips ~ 30 days a year.
    4. My bike is 140mm AM Banshee Prime.
    5. The real Enduro i do is practising body balance, 3-4 ft drops and similar - still learning.

Am i still candidate for E??

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast