Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Ergon Bike
    Oval saddle rails found on our Pro Carbon saddles require an aftermarket side clamp from the seatpost manufacturer that fits oval rails. Top/Bottom seat post clamps are good to go as they are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    Oval saddle rails found on our Pro Carbon saddles require an aftermarket side clamp from the seatpost manufacturer that fits oval rails. Top/Bottom seat post clamps are good to go as they are.
    I see now. Oval is 7x10mm, whereas round is just 7mm.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi Jeff.
    Will you be able to advise.
    My seat bones are 123mm center to center (so bones have like 145 in total)
    I ride AM/EN but trips are rather 'on seat' and all day 50-70km.
    I went to online wizard which advised SME3 M. As far as i know it's 143mm. Isn't that to narrow?

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    Hi Jeff.
    Will you be able to advise.
    My seat bones are 123mm center to center (so bones have like 145 in total)
    I ride AM/EN but trips are rather 'on seat' and all day 50-70km.
    I went to online wizard which advised SME3 M. As far as i know it's 143mm. Isn't that to narrow?
    If your sitbones measure 12.3cm (123mm) C-to-C, this puts you on the size Medium for all the Ergon saddle models. Medium size is 11-13cm.

For your specific riding, I would suggest the SMA3 over the SME3. While both use the exact same shell and shape, the SMA3 is more comfort oriented, while the SME3 is more race bred.

The SMA3 is new for 2016 and is designed as an comfort all-mountain saddle. Our online saddle sizing app will not show this saddle, as the website and app are being updated for 2016 as I type this. The SMA3 is available now and more info can be found on page 16 here: http://my.ergonbike.com/Ergon_2016_Int_WEB.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ok that's supportive.
    Still the catalogue just slightly distinguish SME from SMA..
    Taking in account what You said it seems like SMA is more for those riding than flying?

I live in PL but after making some research the SME3 Pro is not available.... worry to think what about 2016 new models...
    Is there a chance ro order them in EU or US already?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Would the order of softest to hardest saddle be SMC3, SMA3, SME3?

Ergon Bike
    @Placek

Correct.

The SMA3 is an all-day all-mountain/enduro saddle. Those doing longer backcountry rides on larger travel bikes will favor this saddle

The SME3 is more enduro race bred and more those that like a firm saddle.

Personally, I use the SMA3 for backcountry rides and longer day rides in Moab. I use the SME3 for lift days and the occasional enduo event.

Jeff K
    Ergon US

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hojong View Post
    Would the order of softest to hardest saddle be SMC3, SMA3, SME3?
    In this order...
    SMC3
    SMA3
    SME3

The SMC3 and SMA3 will be nearly identical in the softness department. The SME3 will be the firmest.

Jeff K
    Ergon US

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    @Placek

Correct.

The SMA3 is an all-day all-mountain/enduro saddle. Those doing longer backcountry rides on larger travel bikes will favor this saddle

The SME3 is more enduro race bred and more those that like a firm saddle.

Personally, I use the SMA3 for backcountry rides and longer day rides in Moab. I use the SME3 for lift days and the occasional enduo event.

Jeff K
    Ergon US
    SMA3 ordered.
    will share my thoughts after first rides.

mtbr member
    Just installe an SME3 today and had a ride. Of the last 3 saddles Ive had its by far the most comfortable and "out of the way". Last saddles I had were a WTB Volt (not good for me) and a Spec. Phenom (better but not great for me)

App-a-LATCH-un
    Does anybody in the 200lb range find the SMC3 too mushy. Trying to decide between the Race and Comfort version and I need the large width. I generally prefer firmer saddles but don't want to take a beating either. Currently on a specialized henge comp that I think has too much swale and is a bit soft. Riding is 3-5 hour trail riding varied to rough terrain. Lots of ups and downs and small jumps.
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    I weigh about 250-260 and I just put the SMC3-L comp on my bike. I have only had a couple of rides on it so far. It seems perfect to me. It reminds me of my beloved Koobi Silver saddle which died about a year ago. Since then I have been riding a Madison Flux which is similar to a Charge spoon. It was okay but on longer rides I was getting a sharp pain where my legs meet my body inside my crotch. With the Ergon I haven't had this problem as I ride sitting on my sit bones like my Koobi did.
    I tried a Specialized Henge 155 and my thighes would rub on the sides of the saddle. This is not a problem with the Ergon.
    To answer you question though it does not feel squishy at all to me.
    Last edited by huckleberry hound; 05-31-2016 at 04:43 PM.

App-a-LATCH-un
    Thanks for the feedback Huckleberry. I think I'll give one a try here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    ERGON - I am involved in long rides, sometimes 12-24h, sometimes up to 7 days. Mainly roads and gravel roads. I practice for BB Tour (1050km race). I found that saddles that work for 100km, does not work for 300 km.
    From you description it looks I should aim at Ergon SMC saddle. But maybe for such long rides more firm saddle would work better ?
    All doing more than 16h rides on a bike welcome to commend ?

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwald View Post
    ERGON - I am involved in long rides, sometimes 12-24h, sometimes up to 7 days. Mainly roads and gravel roads. I practice for BB Tour (1050km race). I found that saddles that work for 100km, does not work for 300 km.
    From you description it looks I should aim at Ergon SMC saddle. But maybe for such long rides more firm saddle would work better ? All doing more than 16h rides on a bike welcome to commend ?
    You are on the right track. I would suggest the SMC3 for your riding style.

The SMC3 is a good mixture of comfort and firmness. Personally, this is the saddle I have on my road bike for longer mileage days.

If you want firmer foam than the SMC3, then look at the SMR3

Softer? Look at the SCM4

The SMR3, SMC3, and SMC4 all use the same shell shape and rail technology. Only differences are the foam thicknesses and the inclusion of gel or not.

b a n n e d
    So I'm in the market for a saddle and I've long been interested in Ergon. I think the SMA3 is probably the right choice for me, but I don't know what size. My sit bones measure 13cm . . . right on the cusp of medium and large. Thoughts?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Ergon Bike
    You'd be a Medium, as we do not offer the SMA3 or SME3 in size L. These 2 saddle models only come in S and M.

mtbr member
    The SMA3 only comes in medium and small.

Edit:
    I see that Ergon beat me to posting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hello Jeff,

Hope you are still checking this thread.

First off, a little bit of backround about me and my riding. I consider myself a "core" rider you described earlier, riding a 100mm suspension bike from my house to the local trailhead and doing a few laps there (mix of street and trail for a total of 2-2.5 hours) about 3-4 times a week, mostly XC type stuff. Do an occasional XC race here and there so I do like my equipment to be efficient. Being, 125lbs, I've found that saddles that are too firm do not work well at all for me as I barely feel the padding on my bony butt.

So, is there really much difference between the SMC3 comp and SMC4 comp gel and is it just as efficient feeling? I'm looking for a bit more sit bone comfort and soft tissue relief without losing the efficient feel of the SMC3. BTW, I believe my position is correct for me and have employed many of the tips you mentioned about not positioning the saddle too far back or too high and having the mid part of the saddle about a degree nose down. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ergon Bike
    The SMC3 sounds like the best option for you. The SMC4 is definitely more comfort oriented with gel, softer deeper foam, and a much deeper relief channel. Overall, the SMC4 is the heavier of the 3 mtb saddles.

Your sitbone width will also dictate which saddle you can ride....
    SMR3: S, M, L
    SMC3: S, M, L
    SMC4: M, L
    If you match to a size S, the SMC4 is out as an option.

The SMC3 is our balance of sport and comfort. Not too soft, not too firm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks very much for the input Jeff. I'll keep my SMC3 for now and perhaps look into the SMC4 some time in the future.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4