mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Ergon GE1 Factory compound

How big is the difference between the 'normal' GE1 and the GE1 Factory? It's supposed to have a better rubber compound, but I really prefer the blue of the normal GE1

I already own a set of GD1's for my DH bike, which also feature the Factory compound, which I love, but would like something more shaped for my trail bike. The GE1's look perfect

FYI, i'm talking about the non-slim versions, but info regarding the slim versions is welcome as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Factory grip is a little softer. And I mean "a little"....tested by the highly scientific method of sticking my thumb nail in them.
    I even mounted one of each and went for a quick spin....noticed zero difference.
    Now....maybe after a long rough day in the saddle, there might be a difference.
    If you like the shape of the grip...pick the color you want

MTB B'dos
    Can't comment on the normal vs factory compound, but can tell you the compound on the normal grips is already pretty soft, a set didn't last me a year, heck not even 6 months before the outside textured had all but disappeared.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Can't comment on the normal vs factory compound, but can tell you the compound on the normal grips is already pretty soft, a set didn't last me a year, heck not even 6 months before the outside textured had all but disappeared.
    I would agree with this. I love the shape but I go through about 2-3 pair in a season.
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I don't ride that much, so I hope they'll survive longer on my bike. Don't notice any wear on my GD1's after some months anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    The Factory grip is a little softer. And I mean "a little"....tested by the highly scientific method of sticking my thumb nail in them.
    I even mounted one of each and went for a quick spin....noticed zero difference.
    Now....maybe after a long rough day in the saddle, there might be a difference.
    If you like the shape of the grip...pick the color you want
    Thanks for this, will probably go with the blue then

mtbr member
    This thread made me go look at my 9 month old GE1s. I have about 70 hours on them and they show a little wear and dings from get-offs but are still in good shape. They're holding up way better than the OSI grips I used previously, and I like them better too. I wear gloves, if that has any bearing.
    Do the math.

MTB B'dos
    One other thing to note about the GE1/GA2 grips, is that integrated end gets damaged REAL easy in a fall/bail and can crack the entire under/inside plastic that gives the grip it's rigidity, that's why the GD1s don't have it and use an end plug instead. I moved to standard OURY grips for that reason and they also come ina variety of colours - the blue actually matches my colours scheme better.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??