mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Drilling a hole for a dropper post?

I have a 2011 santa cruz superlight 29er and I want to put a rockshox reverb stealth in it. Well the bike shop told me the frame would crack if I put a hole in there? Has anyone had this actually happen? I know it will void warranty but on older bikes those dont usually mean much anyway? What u think?

EMBA Member
    No bike shop is going to tell you different, fearing if something does go wrong, you'll look to them to make it right. I say go for it. All you have to lose is a frame. As far as warranty coverage though, my impression is Santa Cruz works to keep their customers happy. But if you start drilling holes in their frames, and then have a problem, you might be s.o.l. There was a similar thread a couple months ago - maybe do a little searching and you'll find it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

meow meow
    i think i remember a thread a while ago about someone wanting to do this to his nomad. he got in contact with sc and they actually provided him with drawings and stuff to help him determine where to drill. pretty sure it voided his warrenty but its cool sc was so helpful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the help guys. The other discussion had a lot of info in it. I have decided to go ahead and drill. I did not buy the frame new so I really dont have a warranty to worry about. I ordered so rubber gromet thinks from jenson to put in the hole. I found a location I like on the bottom of the seat tube near the bottom bracket. The location is easy to get at from the left side. I see most these holes are in the front of the seat tube but not sure if it matters. Anyone put one in the side of the tube?

All bike, all the time
    Actually it was a bike shop wrench who persuaded me it SHOULD be done. And he had it nailed. But before you proceed with any drilling open up the BB and make sure you can run cable all way without impediments...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got zip ties?

All bike, all the time
    For a stealth? Relevant?
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Got zip ties?
    All bike, all the time

needs more money
    Mar 2008
    Had a friend who cracked his frame doing this. So be careful!

Magically Delicious
    Drill at your own risk. I think if done carefully, it can be done free of problems. Be sure to make a clean, smooth hole. I would hesitate to drill on the side though.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    I don't see how you can get a clean hose route with a side entry. The hose will bulge out to the side.
    I don't think the seat tube is open to the bottom bracket, but it is a good idea to open it up and check. If it is you can clear all the aluminum shavings out after you drill.

Don't drill within an inch of a weld, and start with a pilot hole.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Yes, I should have mentioned starting with a pilot hole. Good suggestion!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    yes it is a stealth. I have been thinking about it and i think now i will route cables under the BB and drill my hole in the rear lower part of the seat tube. I will get a pic and put it up next week. My rubber gromets came today but the post is not here yet. On this bike it have zip ties holding the cables on the frame so I am just gonna double up with the ones that are already there. I also got some of those guides that you zip tie on then attach your hose to that because I think i need one more right in front of the BB. Good ideas that helped alot here. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OK, I got it done. I routed the line through one of the useless water bottle holder mounts in the inside of the bottom tube. I opened the hole to 7/32 then smoothed it out with a dremel. Then through the BB and up into the seat tube. This was alot harder than I thought it was very tight! It had two small holes in the BB one from the bottom tube and one from the seat tube. I had to use the dremel and round those holes to blend into each other to get the hose out of the way so the BB could go back in. The line will not move once the BB is back in so you have to set the post to height before you put the BB back in. Good thing you dont really move dropper posts! Anyway came out nice, looks good. I routed the cable down the center of the bottom tube with the 3m stick on cable guides.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ No photos to illustrate what you've done?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here r some pics. The BB pic is the first try and did not work then I forgot to take another pic after I was done. But you kind of see the chamfer I was starting in this pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hard to get a good pic in there from the lighting sorry.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Thanks for the photos - I think your solution using the existing holes is much better than adding a new hole (and looks pretty clean, too). Good job!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I realize this is an older thread, but first of all THANKS! I found an incredible deal on a dropper post, but it was internally routed and I have been looking for exactly this. I am going to attempt to install an internal dropper on my 2016 Giant Stance 2 this weekend following this exact methodology, so this has been both reassuring and extremely helpful.

Second - how did this setup hold up? Seems as though it has been a few years since you completed this modification. Any issues?

smartass
    Here's mine. Only rode it for six months or so after drilling (got a new frame) but it never gave me any trouble.

Drilling a hole for a dropper post?-banshee1.jpg

Drilling a hole for a dropper post?-banshee2.jpg

Drilling a hole for a dropper post?-banshee3.jpg