mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Double crankset setup.

I have an older e thirteen single/double xcx+ crankset.

It is currently set up single how would I go about making it a double? And what type of chainrings would I need?

I would like it to be 22/36 or 22/34 as I plan on running it di2 syncro shift with a dura ace 11-30 cog in the rear.

The idea being to get the range of eagle and move the weight back to the middle of the bike.

I already have di2 1x11 and would only need the front derailer.

Here is pic of my crankset..E Thirteen XCX+ Double Crankset | Chain Reaction Cycles

Nutrailer
    I'm not sure regarding the derailleur required but looking at the description you added the link for, the outer spider has a BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) of 104mm so the inner will be 64mm.

If you just search for 22/36 or 22/34 chainsets and ensure they are 104/64 you'll be fine.

I found this with a quick Google

Double crankset setup.-capture.jpg

But are you sure you want to add another front cog and derailleur and another shifter?
    You can get a similar spread of rear ratios with by changing out the rear cassette for a wider range one;

Double crankset setup.-gear-ratios.jpg

YMMV
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    FYI, I do not think a Dura Ace cassette will work as you'd like.

I have XTR Di2 on my Scarp, 36/26 front. I rarely dump into the 26, so I put an Ultegra 11-32 on the bike, figuring I could set the synchro shift to use the lower ring, and have a tighter ratio.
    The rear would not "quite" work properly. It would shift, but with an occasional skip or shifting issue. The spacing on the road cassettes appears to be slightly different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    But are you sure you want to add another front cog and derailleur and another shifter?
    You can get a similar spread of rear ratios with by changing out the rear cassette for a wider range one;
    Di2 makes 2x very nice. No shifter needed for one....

Range is not always the important thing, sometimes having a tighter spacing is better! 1x cannot deliver that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    FYI, I do not think a Dura Ace cassette will work as you'd like.

I have XTR Di2 on my Scarp, 36/26 front. I rarely dump into the 26, so I put an Ultegra 11-32 on the bike, figuring I could set the synchro shift to use the lower ring, and have a tighter ratio.
    The rear would not "quite" work properly. It would shift, but with an occasional skip or shifting issue. The spacing on the road cassettes appears to be slightly different.
    Hmm I have a couple friends who run road cassettes just fine it's common.

But they don't have di2 I'll look into it.
    Thank you.

EAT MORE GRIME
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My crankset only has one set of bolt holes so I thought it needs some special chain ring?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yes thank you I think I'm screwed and need new cranks those rings are not in stock and are 9-10 which may be too wide for 11 spd chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I sent e13 an email to see if they have a set of rings laying around somewhere.
    I'll update if I get them.

Thanks for all responses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    I'm not sure regarding the derailleur required but looking at the description you added the link for, the outer spider has a BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) of 104mm so the inner will be 64mm.

If you just search for 22/36 or 22/34 chainsets and ensure they are 104/64 you'll be fine.

I found this with a quick Google

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1187144

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gear ratios.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	1187145

YMMV
    As the other guy said di2 shifts with one shifter and I can program where it shifts the front ring.

Meaning it will never be cross chained so I can run a short chain with zero slack.

Also the point is to get away from huge rear cassette and move unsprung weight from rear to the middle of the bike. The 11-30 cassette is 200 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ok thanks everybody e thirteen got back to me and I did need the chainrings that bolt together and they do have 22/36 in stock so yay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    My crankset only has one set of bolt holes so I thought it needs some special chain ring?
    You need a spider for those chainrings, to be specific. I'm assuming that your current chainring (and the existing spider, if any) was designed for 1x. You'll need a 2x spider in the 104/64bcd configuration to be able to fit those chainrings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    Subscribed to see how this works out for the OP and if he does in fact have any shifting issues using the road cassette with MTB setup.

One thought, how about cage length? Thinking that the MTB RDs are designed for cogs up to 46t, so getting the top pulley close enough and good chain wrap, could be an issue. I just set my 10 year old Monkey up for road duty, 10 spd, 25-11 cassette and Zee RD and it worked very well, decided to steal the Zee RD for my newest build running basically a 1x setup and so put a regular XT and it's not shifting nice at all, thinking I may order another Zee RD for it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??