Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Lord of the Chain Rings
    But I had to send it back out again. Started to slip. Looking for a KS Lev!
    Uzzi

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post

Frankly, with all the problems ALL the posts on the market have, .
    Not ALL dropper posts are plagued with problems.

GD classic is among the most reliable, maintenance free components with moving parts you will own.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Betzel - that is really awesome! I wish I had that kind of luck. How many hours you think you have on yours?
    Uzzi

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Frankly, with all the problems ALL the posts on the market have, this is the only one I'd consider keeping around given I can just drive down there at lunch and have them check it out for me. Not really interested in being a $400/pop guinea pig for other manufacturers.
    That's like a joke right? My specialized cost me $250 (retail 275), simple air-spring with lock mechanism controlled by a cable. Not much to go wrong, same with many posts. There are ones that have great reliability track records, and ones that have pathetic ones (Crank Brothers). This is the company that tried to glue to halves of crank arms together that can't even figure out how to make cranks...which is in their name.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    But I had to send it back out again. Started to slip. Looking for a KS Lev!
    Check Bikebling or Pricepoint. Bikebling with a code will get you a LEV at a decent price. Wise decision.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2012 Cannondale Claymore 2

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I've been running a first generation Crank Brothers Joplin for 5 years without issue. So I guess each unit is different, some have problems some don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    I am so glad I came across your post.
    You see I broke the krono- plastic piece that seats between the saddle rail and clamp on my seat posts when I was installing my new saddle. I needed that piece so badly and don't know where to get one. You mentioned on your post about requesting parts at : smallparts@crankbrothers.com and they did respond quickly. They took my information for now and I am waiting for additional information from them.
    Thank you for that vital information you shared

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by koji View Post
    I am so glad I came across your post.
    You see I broke the krono- plastic piece that seats between the saddle rail and clamp on my seat posts when I was installing my new saddle. I needed that piece so badly and don't know where to get one. You mentioned on your post about requesting parts at : smallparts@crankbrothers.com and they did respond quickly. They took my information for now and I am waiting for additional information from them.
    Thank you for that vital information you shared
    They replaced mine very quickly. Good customer service

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    They replaced mine very quickly. Good customer service
    Customer service is definitely their strength. When I got mine back (the 2nd time in a year) I sent it back, they sent me another plastic doo-hickey spacer thing that goes between the seat rails. Seems the "old" one I had seemed to have worn or something because about the same time, my seat wouldn't stay in place. I popped the new one on, and it's back to working again.

This is now my back up dropper seat post. Ordered my KS Lev and it is on it's way.

Tim
    Uzzi

Lord of the Chain Rings
    I used mine 5 to 6 times a week everyday. First round, it was about two weeks before it had issues. Sent it back to CB and they fixed it, and sent it back. It worked until September. Sent it back again, they fixed it for free (minus my time and shipping) and sent it back fixed and working even better. Seems they replace the post (the part that moves up and down) because the locking washers eat into it and wear it away until it slips.

After two failures, taking total time of 3 weeks down time, I bought a KS Lev. So far so good. Kronolog is currently fixed and sitting in the parts bin. The KS Lev, though more expensive, so super smooth, takes little effort to activate, the lever is small and compact. Shame the Kronolog didn't work out. I liked the way it looked.

If you want this seat post and it fails, CB will take care of you. The main issue is having slack in the cable. That was the first reason mine failed the first time. The 2nd time..I don't know, I had slack in the cable. So who knows. CB will get you back up and running for sure.
    Uzzi

aka: Bucky Fikes
    orastreet, that "post" portion you refer to is called the quill. Did you notice whether or not there's anything different about that piece on your latest repaired unit? I ask because after all my "promotion" of this dropper post, I'm in the exact same boat. The softer malleable section that is supposed to grab the locking tangs has worn itself beyond tolerances in about 3 months of use on mine. It started dropping about an inch on it's own a couple weeks or so ago and has changed my pedaling geometry and my knees are feeling it. I'm wondering if they have utilized a different material that can withstand the tangs digging in. If not, there's no way these droppers will last unless CB wants to send us owners a supply of quills.

I called CB 2 weeks ago and was transferred to someone that was able to deal with a question I had about having them just send me the quill and I'd send the bad one back. I caught a voice mail and no return call, yet. Riding is part of my surgery recovery routine I've been battling and I ride nearly everyday. The trails I ride, I can't imagine being without a dropper now that I've been using one! I, like so many, would never be without one! I've had the unit apart several times and know the ins and outs of it so I'm hoping to just get what I need to make this work again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    orastreet, that "post" portion you refer to is called the quill. Did you notice whether or not there's anything different about that piece on your latest repaired unit? I ask because after all my "promotion" of this dropper post, I'm in the exact same boat. The softer malleable section that is supposed to grab the locking tangs has worn itself beyond tolerances in about 3 months of use on mine. It started dropping about an inch on it's own a couple weeks or so ago and has changed my pedaling geometry and my knees are feeling it. I'm wondering if they have utilized a different material that can withstand the tangs digging in. If not, there's no way these droppers will last unless CB wants to send us owners a supply of quills.

I called CB 2 weeks ago and was transferred to someone that was able to deal with a question I had about having them just send me the quill and I'd send the bad one back. I caught a voice mail and no return call, yet. Riding is part of my surgery recovery routine I've been battling and I ride nearly everyday. The trails I ride, I can't imagine being without a dropper now that I've been using one! I, like so many, would never be without one! I've had the unit apart several times and know the ins and outs of it so I'm hoping to just get what I need to make this work again.
    Email them... You will have a reply in 24 hours or less.

For what its worth I had a problem on mine after two months. They replaced it with the updated configuration. I have had zero problems since. That was 1000 miles and at least 150k elevation gain ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My original Kronolog was one of the first ones, eventually it failed after a year or so. Then it was repaired, ( by CB german distributor) and it failed again.
    Then I contacted CB and told them my kronolog adventure, and they promised me a new one. I just received it yesterday, completely new, with some modifications. Mine one came with a protective neoprene sock over the whole post/stanchion
    Other than that I don't know what is new, I mean something that hasn't been mentioned here already.
    Didn't have time to go out and test it since I'm still building my new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost

Like this

Interesting! They received mine last Monday. They said "No worries" and they'd make it right. I asked about modifications to the quill to prevent this from reoccurring and was told they made some mods internally and that the release mechanism will be better and feel better. We'll see how that goes. I wonder if mine will come back with a fancy sock?!

Mine arrived tonight via UPS. They just sent me a completely new unit in it's box. I was pleased to hear that's what they were doing! And yes, it has a sock like the one pictured above.

First thing I needed to do was disassemble to flip the quill around and install the 20mm spacer on the internal shaft. It works best for me to have the cable coming off the back of the seat post. Problem is, I can't get the internal spanner nut to break free. It's torqued like MoFo....BIGTIME! Gonna try a different spanner wrench tomorrow.

Regarding people jumping ship to KS LEV....I was seriously contemplating that and just selling my new Krono. That is until I started reading recent horror stories about the LEV and their customer service that have just started popping up here on the forums. It would seem KS is not without it's significant problems as well. Things that make go "Hmmmm".

Faster it.
    Related to topic: Has anyone changed the color of their setup with the Crank Brothers Color Kit?

Lord of the Chain Rings
    I have a Kronolog, and a KS. The KS I bought after my second Kronolog failure. Seems that KS is not without issues either. It's back in Foot Hills CA now on it's second repair. So I have resigned to keep the Kronolog as it seems to be working until the KS comes back. The KS, when it works, is much smoother and refined. It is also 150mm which is important for tall guys like myself. So the Lev is the preferred post. Customer service with KS? When I got Ron Easton on the phone, he was very helpful and seem unhappy that my post failed twice. He offered a quick turnaround on the repair. I am not interested in beating these companies up, I just want the post(s) I paid for to work !
    Uzzi

Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    Related to topic: Has anyone changed the color of their setup with the Crank Brothers Color Kit?
    No. All it takes are the 2 rail clamps and the push button on the handlebar release.

Faster it.
    No. All it takes are the 2 rail clamps and the push button on the handlebar release.
    I know that part... I was asking if there's anyone here that actually bought the parts to do the color change, because that means they have the original red/black trigger that I'm looking for =)

Lord of the Chainrings
    Started slipping on the rocky sections of the trail, so I installed this spring mod on mine.....Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-kronolog_mod.jpg
    Last edited by Mudd; 03-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
    Started slipping on the rocky sections of the trail, so I installed this mod on mine.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kronolog_mod.jpg 
Views:	1433 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	874480
    Can't tell what mod you did from your picture. What did you do?
    Also is your post the newer version with the sock over the seat post?
    2015 Ibis HD3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    2014 Niner Rip9 RDO
    2015 Niner WFO
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Looks like the spring is the mod? Creating more locking force to minimize any slippage maybe?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf View Post
    Looks like the spring is the mod? Creating more locking force to minimize any slippage maybe?
    Thanks mojo. When my ver. 1 post was slipping from day one, I tried using a flat bladed screwdriver to push down on the bottom dog
    to increase the "biting force" against the post to no avail. Sent it back. My ver.2 post (with sock) has been good so far.
    2015 Ibis HD3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    2014 Niner Rip9 RDO
    2015 Niner WFO
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    NO prob I am looking at the Kronolog as I love my Specialized Black Lite and prefer mechanical locking to hydraulic. And the cable placement is really what I am interested on the Kronolog but I have also been trying to get a good sense of how good the 2nd gen posts have been. Seems like they are performing much better than first gen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My V2 is working great. At least 1000 miles on it.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    Can't tell what mod you did from your picture. What did you do?
    Also is your post the newer version with the sock over the seat post?
    Yep.
    Spring mod to eliminate any plate movement on the chunky, chattery, trails.
    No sock condom. Just keep it clean.

Biking Like Crazy!
    My V2 is working great. At least 1000 miles on it.
    Good to hear the v2 post is holding up! We might of been doing there RD for them but you got to give CC customer service a big !
    2015 Ibis HD3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    2014 Niner Rip9 RDO
    2015 Niner WFO
    2014 Knolly Podium

Lord of the Chainrings
    Started slipping on the rocky sections of the trail, so I installed this spring mod on mine.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kronolog_mod.jpg 
Views:	1433 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	874480
    Rode it today. Worked flawlessly!

mtbr member
    It's really too bad CB didn't take the time to work out the bugs before releasing the Kronolog because the revamped posts are actually quite good. Had they it could have been one of the more popular posts; but now I'm not sure they will be able to overcome all the bad reviews.
    I have one as a backup to my Lev. It's not as smooth as the Lev but no question it's a solid and so far reliable post. When you break it down it's actually quite simple mechanically which in the long run isn't a bad thing.
    Compared to other posts -- the Lev, Reverb -- it's so user serviceable which is a huge plus.

My replacement Krono is working flawlessly after many months and even more frequent and intensive riding than on my first one.

Lord of the Chainrings
    My replacement Krono is working flawlessly after many months and even more frequent and intensive riding than on my first one.
    How log was the turnaround time for repair?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you are in SoCal I would take your bike in. Usually same day if not less than 30-45 min.

Also, I heard over the weekend that they might be about to drop version 2. Could be true as they have been sold out for a while now.

After I called and talked with them, I shipped the faulty unit on a Friday. They received it Monday, I called to confirm on Wednesday and I had a brand new complete unit by the following Monday.

Lord of the Chainrings
    After I called and talked with them, I shipped the faulty unit on a Friday. They received it Monday, I called to confirm on Wednesday and I had a brand new complete unit by the following Monday.
    NICE! So glad to hear that they are standing by their products. I use several of them on both the mountain bike and the road bike.

I'm about an hour drive from the factory, so I might make arrangements to visit them soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Anyone thought about tinning the end of the cable to make it more robust for the set screw to clamp? It doesn't take too many times of taking this thing apart and back together again before that set screw chews up the cable end, making it hard to reinsert.

I like that spring mod idea.

Bought my Satori with a Kronolog post on it 2 weeks ago. Its already slipping. After reading thru this thread, I have adjusted the cable to make sure it has slack but haven't had a chance to ride it yet afterwards, as I currently have the Fox fork sent out on a recall.

I put a dab of super glue on the cable tip. If yours is new, make sure you cut the cable no more than 2mm beyond the clamp otherwise when you replace the sliding cover, it can contact the cable causing the post to actuate allowing it to slide. I never thought about tinning since once my post is setup, there's not much reason to disassemble it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for that tip. I'll check that.

On top of the seatpost beginning to slip, it also wasn't coming all the way up, like it didn't have enough pressure in it. That's the initial reason I took mine out, was to check the pressure in it and add some. Had like, 3 lbs in it. I put 10 in it and its much better.

But man, if you had to do that very often, I guess to avoid taking the cable loose at the seat post, the only other option would be too remove the lever at the bars and hope you can pull enough cable slack thru the frame, eyelets or whatever, to get enough to get the post clear of the frame tube so you can work on it.

make sure you cut the cable no more than 2mm beyond the clamp otherwise when you replace the sliding cover, it can contact the cable causing the post to actuate allowing it to slide.

The max psi is 55#. Stick 40# or so in there and call it good. I haven't adjusted the air since I installed it months and months ago. The newer generation of Krono will settle maybe a few millimeters when you sit on it. This is mentioned in their instructions and not a flaw or slippage. On my set-up, I'm able to turn my bars to max right and this gives me enough slack in the cable to pull the post out of the seat tube. The newer generation did, in fact, come with a slightly shorter cable/housing than my first unit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got my 1.5 year old Kronolog from service.
    Looks like they made a bunch of changes to my original version.

The new Kronolog was shipped with the cable wrapped in a sticker with a pic of a zip tie and a red X over it.

So Crank Brothers expects the Kronolog cable to be installed with no zip ties???

Are we supposed to have the cable flop around from the seatpost to the handle bars?

Biking Like Crazy!
    linger, did they just service your post or did they give you a new one with the lizard skin cover over the seattube?
    I have no idea if that's what the picture means as I have mine ziptied to the dropper post mounts my bike has.
    2015 Ibis HD3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    2014 Niner Rip9 RDO
    2015 Niner WFO
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    blcman - mine came back a mixture of new and serviced parts. The base is original, as well as the anodized seatpost clamps and beat up plastic rail spacer.

The telescoping post looks brand new. They replaced it with a new cable where there is a 6" section exiting the post that is very stiff and not "kinkable". The remote lever is brand new and different from my OG version. The jammers look brand new as well. They added a neoprene lizardskin over the telescoping post.

I have no clue how to install this without zipties.

If your application requires zip-ties, just secure them loosely so the cable has plenty of free play slop. Securing the cable taught can create problems for the system, sometimes causing it to actuate just from the tension of turning the bars. In my application, I have no zip-ties. It routes from the left bar grip, around the right side of the headtube, back under the top tube going right to left, and then reaches the post on the left of the seat tube and into the post. It doesn't hang out and works very nicely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by linger View Post
    I got my 1.5 year old Kronolog from service.
    Looks like they made a bunch of changes to my original version.

The new Kronolog was shipped with the cable wrapped in a sticker with a pic of a zip tie and a red X over it.

So Crank Brothers expects the Kronolog cable to be installed with no zip ties???

Are we supposed to have the cable flop around from the seatpost to the handle bars?
    That's how mine is mounted. Every mech loses his mind when he sees it, but its kink/bind free and works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The way I understand it is, its not that there can't be zip ties securing the cable anywhere along its length. You just need to have enough slack in the cable between the last zip tie and either end of the cable where it connects to the lever at the bars and at the seatpost, so that the cable doesn't go taut when turning the bars side to side and you want enough slack at the seatpost end so that when activating the lever, the movement of the bottom locking pawl doesn't pull the cable taut.

The rest of the cable in between can be tightly zip tied to the frame. That's if the stock cable length is long enough to permit it for your particular bike.

Also, turn the bars to your max realistic turning angle, side to side and make sure you still have slight slack on the inner cable at the lever(lever freeplay).

mtbr member
    A much easier solution is to just buy a different brand post... That's what I did.

Lord of the Chainrings
    I've seen an 8" section of cable housing they use at the post end that will accommodate the "cable compression".

Mine has an "S" bend on the frame leading up to the post....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-p5pb10766938.jpg  

mtbr member
    The newer generation of Krono will settle maybe a few millimeters when you sit on it. This is mentioned in their instructions and not a flaw or slippage.
    So when you sit on it, the post drops down of its own volition, and this is considered normal? Before it was a flaw but now that they have written it in the directions, it is a normal feature. LMAO!

I can't wait to see if the other brands see this cool feature and try to incorporate it onto their seat posts. That must really serve some good purpose when riding.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It moves a mm or so... Let's not be dramatic.

I have 2 of their post and they are working great.

This.

Very much THIS.

The settling was just a tiny little drop of maybe 1/8". I'm uncertain if it's still doing that as I don't notice it one bit. Literally not worthy of any attention. Still riding it over 30 mi and 4000' of climb a week . Not the slightest hiccup.

mtbr member

I'm glad you like your post. I liked mine too, before it started slipping to the point that I did notice it but that is neither here nor there. I am not trying to talk you out of liking your post but would you mind if you had a "fixed seat post" and it dropped a mm or so while you rode your bike?

That is my point. When it isn't being adjusted, it is supposed to act like a fixed seat post. If a fixed seat post moved a mm or so, most people would consider that to be a faulty product. If it doesn't bother you then that is good, but I as a rider like for my bike settings to stay where I set them.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It only moves 1 mm in the fully extended position. Adjust the seat post QR correctly and no problem... To reiterate, no 1mm drop in any other position.

mtbr member
    Wanted to check in and see how the V2 people were doing. My V1 was a slipper, but performance was overall more solid than the 2 Lev's I've had. I can live with 1-2mm of vertical give, so long as the post goes up and down consistently. Looks like the V2 aren't available anywhere right now - did they improve that much?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Same features as V1 but they increased the size of the plate/lock (don't know part name) from 5mm to 10mm. End result is a much stronger/more durable mechanism. They also now include a neoprene sock that protects the post from dirt/etc. I have two, one has a year of problem free service. The other is only a month into duty.

mtbr member
    Same features as V1 but they increased the size of the plate/lock (don't know part name) from 5mm to 10mm. End result is a much stronger/more durable mechanism. They also now include a neoprene sock that protects the post from dirt/etc. I have two, one has a year of problem free service. The other is only a month into duty.
    Mind if I ask where you bought them? I'm having trouble finding any online at the shops I frequent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought the second when I saw it on sale 6-8 months ago. Just now have the frame to put it on.

I actually need one for my wife's bike and I have not been able to locate either. Crank Bro won't quote delivery either which makes me think they may have a true update in the works.

mtbr member

I just sent mine back in because it was slipping a lot in mid stroke. This is my second time sending it in. The first time it lasted 6 mos. This time it lasted a year. We'll see what I get back from CB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi guys,

I just ordered a kronolog from a german site (bike24) at a very good price, and i wanted to ask, is there a way i can tell if it is the V2 (i presume this means version 2, the new one made in 2014) or the original ? From what i searched around i could not find any visual differences. The site says it is made in 2014, but i don't know ...

Thank you.

Not 100% sure about it but when I got my V2 back from CB, it had a neoprene sock that covers the quill shaft and seat bracket that keeps dirt and junk from getting on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is my internet broken or what, but i just went to CB website and did not find Kronolog anymore, only some accessories to it, but not as a complete item?

I noticed the same a while back. They must have ditched it.

My V2 is still going strong. Just pulled it all apart a week or so ago for maintenance and cleaned it all out and regreased the guts. Nice smooth operation and the quill is still in great shape.

mtbr member
    Their entire production run is now going to warranty claims. It was just a matter of time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is this something you know or guessing ? If that is true, oh my...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Their entire production run is now going to warranty claims. It was just a matter of time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Is this something you know or guessing ? If that is true, oh my...
    Just joking. I have no idea.

mtbr member

I recently got a brand new replacement for my third warranty claim...started sagging again within a week.

I chose a Reverb for my new bike. So far, so good after 4 mos. We'll see how it does long-term.

LOL! I've been a pretty big supporter of the post but considering the past, this is pretty hilarious. Chiclets for you.

mtbr member
    Lol. We're closing in on 100,000 views to this thread. Brutal!

mtbr member

Spring

I suggested the spring to them what seems like a long time ago.. never did hear back.
    What spring did you use?
    I'm waiting to put the spring I have on once it starts to drop again going over rough stuff, but so far this one is holding up since April.
    night riding - it's an adiction

my bike gained weight
    I'm late to the party but wanted to order a beer and throw in my 2¢.

I too just noticed that the Kronolog is no longer on the CB website. There is no mention of it other than some maintenance stuff, but even there the actual instructions with images is gone. What they have refers to images that aren't there...

I've been running the Krono for about 16 months and I'm on my second one. The first one died one day where it lost pressure and would not come back up. Crank Bros sent me a new one right away. No problem. I've had this one now since December 2013 and from the descriptions on this thread, it looks like a v2. Within a few weeks it developed a little teensy bit of play in the stanchion. My old Gravity Dropper did this, and the Thomson post a friend rides does this. The only ones that don't among my normal riding group is KS.
    This play would not be an issue for me except it's gotten worse, and now it's creaking like hell. The seat feels squirmy while climbing, even. It's about 3-4mm back an forth, and maybe 5° rotationally. Really no good.
    But my very least favorite thing about this post is that ridiculous single-bolt T25 clamp. I've run a lot of posts over the years, and I've never had to carry a torque wrench around to adjust any of them until now. Why in the world would CB use this single bolt, and why a Torx? I've stripped the ends off of six T25 wrenches in a year. "You should have torqued it to spec!" you say? Really? At 12nm this thing rocks with every hit, and the seat slides around in the clamp. It takes more like 18nm to lock it in place. And even at 12, the clamp then won't move from the post head. So again, the seat moves with riding forces, but won't move so I can adjust it. It knocked out of position last night, but even once I removed the bolt, the clamps held tight and I couldn't move them back into place. And had I been able to, I was only carrying a multitool (CB, with the T25, natch) which in no way would have allowed me to tighten this correctly. I made do and cut the ride short.

So while I still have this thing on my bike (as I'm planning to replace it with the KS or Thomson), anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
    So while I still have this thing on my bike (as I'm planning to replace it with the KS or Thomson), anyone have any suggestions?
    I've owned the Joplin, Kronolog and Reverb. Have tried the Thomson. Currently own the KS Lev.
    I recently bought a FOX DOSS and it is by far my favourite. A hugely under-appreciated dropper post.
    Absolutely bullet-proof, smooth and very robust.
    I think the partial drop feature (40mm) is a game-changer. It is the perfect height for when you don't need full down but want a lower post for technical manoeuvres. Low enough to add a huge sense of confidence but high enough to still pedal well. Yes you can get that lower drop with the Lev, Reverb. Thomson but I really like the ability to instantly get in that sweet spot.
    I understand how the lever is an issue to some. That said, If you're running a 1x (and use it where you would the front shifter) then it is PERFECT. Acrually the best of all the levers I've tried.

my bike gained weight
    Thanks -- what I meant though was suggestions about the Kronolog and the issues described. I have a friend selling his KS Lev so I'll be replacing the Krono with it, but it would be nice to find some workarounds with the Kronolog as well. Especially with the clamp issues.

Regarding the clamp issue....been there, done that, talked to the techs about it. That bolt has 2 circleclips holding it in place. Remove those and remove the bolt. light grease the back of each bolt head, the part that mates against the clamp. Reassemble. Apparently this allows the bolt head to rotate more freely. The opposite side is indexed in place, IIRC. Torquing is more effective and the clamp should lock the seat into position. I found the fix was a successful solution but no matter what you do, that frikkin' clamp will seize in place making adjustment a PITA, including requiring a dead-blow hammer to get the stupid thing off the quill when you need to disassemble it. That was indeed a piss-poor design. Talk about reinventing the wheel!

I'm considering the KS LEV for a replacement but even those were not without their own problems for a while, there. It's a clean install, though. My Krono just won't die so it might be a while....we'll see if I didn't just jinx myself!

mtbr member
    Looks to me like Crank Brothers finally decided to cut bait on this poorly thought out product. When the thing worked correctly, it was a decent drop post but I have serious doubts Crank Brothers put in the actual time testing this product they claimed that they did before they put it out into the market. This thing should have had in house testing as well as giving it to some professionals and weekend warrior types to test it out in the wild. If they had done that, they would have immediately uncovered the persistent problems that plagued buyers. This was the first bike product I have ever bought that failed so quickly (within a week) and so completely (three different posts--all failed).

If you think I am too picky and judging Crank Brothers too harshly, consider this. I bought a LEV after trading in my Kronolog for store credit and have had no major problems with that seat post. I then bought another LEV for my other bike and have had no major problems with that seat post either. In fact, the only minor problem I have had with either of them is the seat clamp can occasionally loosen up but that can either be solved with carbon paste or by checking the seat for any looseness on a regular basis and tightening the screws.

I say good riddance to this P.O.S but am sorry for you people that stuck it out and tried to make this thing work. Crank Brothers has its detractors and in my opinion, that is for good reason. When the first buyers like me complained this thing was defective, we were told it was our fault because we were unable to install it correctly. Blaming your customers for mistakes made during conception and implementation of a product is a bad idea.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

mtbr member
    JP, excellent reply and exactly my experience. My Kronolog failed multiple times, and had a pathetic seat attachment. I now own 5 KS Lev's between my sweetie and myself. This should serve as a cautionary tale to KS however. Their customer service is very poor and they have shown no intention of improving their seat attachment design, which also has some faults, though none fatal like on the Kronolog. I hope they are listening.
    Last edited by ronski; 10-17-2014 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Seems like there is no one single dropper post that would be without issues.
    Been thinking to buy new Thomson covert, havent read any reviews about it but i guess it has some issues too. How hard it can be to build proper one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi. I have Kronolog seatpost and would like to ask you if this or. so much side to side movement is normal and if not is it fixable?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn1bgl4q0q...18.45.mp4?dl=0

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That's not normal. It looks like the latching mech is also going from side to side. Is the entire post not clamped in enough? I could not tell from the video. If the post is within two years, Crank Brothers will warrenty it...sometimes even if it isn't. FYI: They have stopped selling dropper posts. They gave up. If you are forced to get a new one, the Tompson Elite Covert dropper is problem free and one of the strongest out there. Not cheap though, at almost $500.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes the latching mechanism is also moving with the post.

mtbr member
    It's easy to fix. Disconnect the bolt or QR holding the post in place. Then carefully remove the cable and actuating trigger. Gather these up and place in the nearest garbage can and buy something else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's easy to fix. Disconnect the bolt or QR holding the post in place. Then carefully remove the cable and actuating trigger. Gather these up and place in the nearest garbage can and buy something else.
    Ok, well not really helpful answer....
    I have contacted Crankbrothers and I hope they will be able to help me somehow since some of you have a positive experiences with their support service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illiac4 View Post
    Ok, well not really helpful answer....
    I have contacted Crankbrothers and I hope they will be able to help me somehow since some of you have a positive experiences with their support service.
    Sure it is. There is no point in fixing the post. Buy something else.

The locking clamp jaws that you see moving in unison with the quill (shaft) are eccentrically shaped and are captive and spring loaded into eccentric shaped channels in the housing. There is some movement normally but yours looks a bit excessive. Perhaps the housing has been worn internally where the clamps are located allowing them room to twist. I don't recall mine ever having that much play. The primary issue with the unit has always been the quill wearing and allowing the post to compress when weighted. After mine was upgraded, I never had an issue with it but it's been out of service since the end of October when I bought a KS LEV DX 150. My Krono is still functional so I'll have to check it and see what kind of rotational play is present.

Trail Connoisseur
    I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if someone else has had this experience.

I have had little to no problems with this post for nearly 2 years. I would say that I have been 90% satisfied until the other day.

While standing up and pedaling I exited a rock garden and hit the lever to raise my seat. The seat shot completely off of my bike. luckily, it hit me in the ass on the way out so I knew that something had gone wrong, if it didn't I might have sat down on the remaining seat post piece and been seriously violated by it.

Unlike a lot of people I have not had problems with Crank Bros. support so I'm going to call them about getting a trade in. We'll see what they say.

mtbr member
    Crank Brothers support was fine. They certainly get plenty of practice.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if someone else has had this experience.

I have had little to no problems with this post for nearly 2 years. I would say that I have been 90% satisfied until the other day.

While standing up and pedaling I exited a rock garden and hit the lever to raise my seat. The seat shot completely off of my bike. luckily, it hit me in the ass on the way out so I knew that something had gone wrong, if it didn't I might have sat down on the remaining seat post piece and been seriously violated by it.

Unlike a lot of people I have not had problems with Crank Bros. support so I'm going to call them about getting a trade in. We'll see what they say.
    Haha. That happened to me too (seat popping out). Luckily it was at the very end of my ride.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Haha. That happened to me too (seat popping out). Luckily it was at the very end of my ride.
    My incident was actually at the beginning of my ride. I jammed the seatpost back in. It no longer raises on it's own but I was able to use it pretty effectively by reaching down and pulling it up while pressing the lever.

mtbr member
    I've had a Kronolog on my bike for 2,300+ miles, I use it constantly on every ride. It just recently started slipping mid travel. Took it back to Crankbrothers (live in SoCal) 15 minutes and $35.00 later I have a post good as new, looking forward to another couple thousand miles. Bike parts eventually wear out, I've gotten my money's worth.

Biking Like Crazy!
    I'm sending mine back in again after 6mo. on the previous repair. That make it 4 times now. I've been switching over to the newer GD Turbo LP on my other my bikes.
    I take the seat post out and drill holes for 2 other positions so I have 4 positions to use.
    2015 Ibis HD3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    2014 Niner Rip9 RDO
    2015 Niner WFO
    2014 Knolly Podium

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Members who have read this thread: 2