Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Faster it.
    When I mentioned the zip-ties it was to hold the seat post's clamping mechanism (the two levers) together so you can slide the seat post in/out while trying to get that silver metal ring out =)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm digging the looks of these. I may pull the trigger here soon.

Dab-O-Matic
    So who has these in stock?

mtbr member
    I'm also thinking that this post might be the best. Mechanical stuff is easy to repair and adjust.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Good question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Universal Cycles - 30.9, Black/Red

Universal Cycles -- Crank Brothers Kronolog Seatpost

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post

Thanks for the link. Can't believe I didn't check there 1st.

Got one on the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if anyone is up for it I'll trade my black lever and clamp for the red, if anyone is local to the bay area, I'll throw some cash too

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    if anyone is up for it I'll trade my black lever and clamp for the red, if anyone is local to the bay area, I'll throw some cash too
    Why didn't you just buy the red?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    I think I'm getting a red one by mail, ordered black but they only had red stock so i asked them to ship w/e they had. PM me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post

Nice! Just canceled my order with someone else. Now I'll have it when my new bike comes next week!
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anyone see any shops with a 31.6 black/red?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    Why didn't you just buy the red?
    when i upgraded my joplin 4 at sea otter, they only had black

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What's up? These posts are unavailable in Canada!!

mtbr member
    Anyone have any more ride reports of this thing yet? There's, like, 3 people on here who have given their views. There must be heaps of kronologs out there in the field now.

Lurkers, stop sitting there, give us your opinions! And more pics, please

mtbr member
    I just shipped my old Maverick Speedball R/Joplin today for the trade-in program. I think the trade-in program is a very sweet deal, and I'm really looking forward to trying the Kronolog out on my Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    There is indeed another thread in this Forum regarding this post. Might be worth a read for those really interested in this dropper post. Bottom line, after 6 rides I'm pretty disappointed and have to rate this product (or at least the one I received, as my reviews are based on a sample of 1) a big fail. The link below should take you to the other thread if you are interested in the details. The other thread was started by MTBR member gibbons, and he has some good info on the post, and also had better luck with his...

Kronolog is installed on my bike, my initial impressions

mtbr member
    yeah, ronski, you're one of the 3 reviewers I was talking about

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a winner, too bad, I was really excited about this one.

Like someone else has said on here, they should have used a coil spring instead of air and it would have been perfect. The locking mechanism is the genius in the design, who cares about an air spring. Make it a real spring and it would be so much more reliable, it'd be like a GD with looks - imagine that. Captain Hindsight signing off .

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Is there any way to combine these two threads?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...-new-post.html

lidless ascender
    I've only had a couple of hard rides with the post installed but so far it's been working flawlessly.Well, almost.The barrel adjuster on the lever tends to wind itself back in on really rocky/bumpy rides.Other than that everything's been perfect: no pressure loss, smooth and controlled action, no sloppiness.I can only hope things stay the same in the future.The barrel adjuster problem is easily remedied anyway.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've done probably 6 or 8 rides on it now. The button seems to not be as notchy (I think someone described the cable exiting the barrel adjuster towards the lever as making a sharp bend and possibly causing the multi-stranded cable to rub along the ribbing of the strands, this seems like part of it), mine is holding air, returns at a comfortable rate, and still has no wiggle. One thing I'm noticing though is that the quill, as CB calls the moving shaft, is getting notched on the rear silver strip from the plates wedging against it. If it's in one of the notches I notice that I have to unweight the saddle or else pressing the button is pretty hard. Front side is still smooth. I do weigh 215 with no gear. I'm calling them about this today because I'm concerned that the little notches will act as serrations and eat through the rubber seal. Also because I think it could be smoother to release.

Oh, I also lost my removable cable cover in a small tumble yesterday. I didn't notice it was gone until I was back at the trailhead. I emailed them to see what a replacement costs. Would be nice if they had a set screw or something but it's mostly my fault.

So far, still liking the post and loving having an adjustable post, in general.

mtbr member
    I just installed my post, will send pictures later. I just need to know if the plastic thing that goes between the saddle is supposed to be loose after you tighten the saddle clamp

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingp View Post
    I just installed my post, will send pictures later. I just need to know if the plastic thing that goes between the saddle is supposed to be loose after you tighten the saddle clamp
    NO! The plastic thing is holding your rails apart so the tighter you tension the saddle clamp, the more inward force your saddle rails are getting. It should be like a vice where your saddle rails and the plastic insert are being held in compression by the saddle clamp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Lefty post

Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    when is cannondale going to step up and make a dropper post using lefty tech/
    ...when someone make a frame with a seattube that large

mtbr member
    I just looked at the instructions, the bridge that goes between the clamps is loose even after i tighten the screws. I left the shop so I dont have the tool needed for the screw.. will try to loose it again to see if theres something stuck somewhere.

mtbr member
    Ok, so im still unable to get the saddle installed, the plastic bridge between the clamps is loose even after i torque the clamps.
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335832488.860725.jpg
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335832511.166580.jpg
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335832527.172039.jpg

mtbr member
    My trance X with Kronolog Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335902647.050054.jpg
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335902685.933381.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ok, so im still unable to get the saddle installed, the plastic bridge between the clamps is loose even after i torque the clamps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335832488.860725.jpg 
Views:	2492 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	693164

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335832511.166580.jpg 
Views:	1971 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	693165

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335832527.172039.jpg 
Views:	1495 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	693166
    What saddle is that? The rails look larger than the rails on my saddle so I'm wondering if this style of clamp can handle a larger diameter rail. Still, if you've tightened down the bolt to the specified torque I'm surprised that it wouldn't push your rails in until they were squeezing the plastic thingy. I went and felt mine and it is pretty tight in there, doesn't budge.

mtbr member
    Its the saddle that the bike came with.
    I dont have any specs on it.

mtbr member
    The seals don't mean much on a mechanical post. Those seals have nothing to do with the air spring, so as long as it doesn't get sloppy then no issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    I'm calling them about this today because I'm concerned that the little notches will act as serrations and eat through the rubber seal. Also because I think it could be smoother to release.
    it seems that the serrations, in conjunction with the metal plate clamping mechanisms, is a recipe for undue contamination and slider / seal wear. degradation of the post surface over time looks inevitable. time will tell, of course...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    After cleaning it off and feeling around on it, It's not as serrated as I initially thought. CB said that they did have one prototype that had slightly deeper notching than normal but that it worked itself out over time, with the clamping and unclamping of the retention plates. They said I could return it to let them look at it and either attempt to make it work perfectly or warranty it. I'm going to see if it works itself out and send it in if it get's worse.

they also explained how the post slippage thing happens and why it would be caused by improper installation.
    -cable is installed without enough clearance to move up and down as button is pressed and released.
    -button is pressed, post releases from plates and is moved under rider weight, and then the button is released but doesn't fully release due to the cable clearance. So it's as if you partially pushed the button. This causes the plates to not "bite" into the post well.
    -Rider places weight onto saddle, post slips due to the plates not being allowed to properly grab the quill.
    -slipping post causes the mating surfaces of the quill and plates to wear down and not grab onto each other as well. At this point, even if you correct the cable routing, the damage is done and you'll keep getting slippage which causes even more damage.

made sense to me.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    they also explained how the post slippage thing happens and why it would be caused by improper installation.
    -cable is installed without enough clearance to move up and down as button is pressed and released.
    -button is pressed, post releases from plates and is moved under rider weight, and then the button is released but doesn't fully release due to the cable clearance. So it's as if you partially pushed the button. This causes the plates to not "bite" into the post well.
    -Rider places weight onto saddle, post slips due to the plates not being allowed to properly grab the quill.
    -slipping post causes the mating surfaces of the quill and plates to wear down and not grab onto each other as well. At this point, even if you correct the cable routing, the damage is done and you'll keep getting slippage which causes even more damage.

made sense to me.
    Makes sense to me too but it also seems this is a major weakness and possible point of failure. If the mating surfaces can wear down that fast, it points in the direction of the system not having long term reliability. We'll see as more users get their hand on them.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    OK so bad news mine is going back after just a month's worth of riding due to a failure. Just to give you and idea I'd estimate it has less than 20 hours on it. I get to ride about 3 times a week maybe 4 hours total. I'm 150 lbs, 5'7" and not really an aggressive rider. Although I do use it a lot because I've really been trying to practice my cornering so anytime I'm on a downhill I'm dropping the seat. For a month the thing worked flawlessly. Install was easy and I worked really hard to make sure I did it right. About an 1/8" play in the lever. No binding in the cable (I can completely rotate the the handlebars either direction). But yesterday I got maybe 1/4 mile into my ride and hit a rock and felt something weird. Felt like the seat dropped just a little. Sure enough hit the trigger seat pops up maybe 1/8-1/4 inch. Well I'm thinking maybe I didn't have it all the way up when I started. Nope. Hit another bump felt the same thing. Push the button post comes up same amount. So I ride my loop, all of 3.25 miles. When I really get into a rocky climb the post drops more than 1". Probably like 1.5". Enough that pedaling just feels wrong. Get to the top and start messing with it and all I have to do is sit on the saddle and it drops 1/8". Then give it a little bump with my butt and it drops more than an inch. Get back to the truck and pull the cover off. I can push it with my hand and see the bottom clamp deflect down. That's my 1/8" drop. I shouldn't be able to do that with my hand. Then give it another harder push with some body weight and the post slides down like butter until it finally bids after moving more than an inch.

1 month guys with nowhere near as much riding as many of you do. Keep this in mind if you decide to purchase.

Now good news. I immediately call CB and talk to a guy named Nick. Super nice and understanding. HOWEVER he did tell me the movement on a smaller scale is a known issue that has just started popping up in the last couple of days in New In Box stems. He said there are some tolerance issues coming out of Taiwan with the binder stem interface. Where the tooth on the binder(s) doesn't bite into the post. He was surprised to hear I had no issues for a month. My inclination is that on mine the binder interface has worn way so that it no longer bites into the post.

Now my biggest fear, send my 1 month old $300 plus bike stem back to them for repair. I really wanted to blow up at that point as anything like this should have a 30 day no questions asked replacement or refund as long as the owner hasn't done something stupid. The the deal was they sent me an RA through email to ship it back. So there's a week in shipping just to get it to them. Then they'd repair it the day it got in and ship it back. There's another week. I told him that time frame didn't really seem right since the thing's practically new and shouldn't they expedite that and ship me a new one while the old one was on it's way back. He said he could check on that but didn't sound hopeful. So I pushed for express shipping both ways and he said he'd try that. So I'm really trying not to loose it since I knew buying this 1st generation and with CB reputation what I was probably getting into. But still it sucks. And for all of you thinking about buying one I'd strongly suggest waiting. If I had it to do over I probably by the Giant Control for $100 less than the Kronolog and local dealer support. Although I did my Kronolog from a local deal they got it special for me so that's why I went directly to CB.

So post failure very bad, very unhappy. Customer service pretty good. I actually got an email from Nick about 5 minutes later that they were shipping me another post the same day (yesterday). So somehow he managed to swing that. For which I am very thankful. But it shouldn't have failed so quickly. Unfortunately they didn't ship it expedited so it's still going to take a week for it to get to me. Kind of cheap in my opinion considering 2 day UPS probably would have only cost them another $10 and would have made me a very satisfied customer with their customer service.

I truly think my install was top notch and I'd really like to know if I did something to cause this failure. But really what can somebody do here that they shouldn't? Sit on the seat push the lever and it goes down. Stand up and push the lever and it comes up. Seems like a no-brainer. Although I have be doing some reading about needing to "fully" activate the lever then push down and real specific ways of working the mechanism like that. But for me that's a little to much fine motor skill for the way "I" think these should work.

One thing I have found, infinite adjustablity IMO, overrated. My seat is usually up or down. Sometimes I like to have 1" of drop. Other than that the rest is fluff. Gravity Dropper may be the ticket here for those looking in the future, or maybe the Command Post.

Well I'll get the new one next Monday and install it. If it has problems you'll definitely hear about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hmmmm..... sounds like this post has promise, but I'm going to wait out gen II. Perhaps it will be sorted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post

Standing by for all the CBs haters in 3...2....1..............

MTBP
    I haven't read this thread yet but I still don't understand where this reputation comes from for broken pedals. I mean I understand that people obviously break them but I never have. I have one set that is 6 years old and still going strong and the other day while riding a demo bike with a much lower BB than I'm used to with my 2 year old CB EB pedals on it I hit rocks about 15 times during the ride. A couple of times hard enough to think 'that must have broken a pedal' and once so hard in a high speed rocky corner that it high sided me into space. I've never done that before. Except for a few scrapes and some deforming of the decorative plastic ring the pedals are just fine.

I'm talking about the stainless steel rather than the Ti pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have one, but would like to get one. The way this post was designed, it was designed after clamps. If any of you have any clamps that are used all the time, you will see notches form in the steel, and that is thick steel on those clamps.
    Now you look at the seat post, it is an aluminum tube with steel strips on the outside for the clamps to grab onto. I can see this wearing out over time due to the rider's weight and up and down motion of the post.
    Only time will tell how it holds up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just ordered one. Now Im thinking that it would be fun to mock up a mechanical spring kit that would basically be a new end cap and a couple of bushings on either side of the spring. Any idea on dampening the return to prevent the seat launching back?? Anybody mind taking some pictures of the seatpost internals? thx.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thought the Kronolog looked like a good idea, but after only about 30km on it, I have noticed it slipping (about 1cm). I thought it was because I'm a big guy (100kg) but after reading this thread, sounds like same old Crank Brothers issues. I'm in a good position though, my LBS gave me the post at a good price to review for them with an intent to begin stocking them. If I didn't like it, I can let them know, get a refund and then go for another post - and they will steer clear of them. I guess you know what I'm doing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    hmmmm..... sounds like this post has promise, but I'm going to wait out gen II. Perhaps it will be sorted.
    I guess you never tried a Joplin Gen 4...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    With 7 miles on the new Kronolog, I experienced the ~1cm of post slippage as well. I could feel the post creeping down riding in the saddle for less than one minute. Over the course of the ride, the creep grew from 4 to 10 mm as shown below.

In fairness to Crank Bros, I'm going to check my cable adjustment to ensure I got the 2-3mm spec of play in the trigger to ensure the cable is not preloaded.

The grease line in these images shows the before / after shots.

Image after dismount:

Image after full extension:
    Last edited by Photogorama; 05-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Kevin, did you figure out a solution to this? I'm seeing the same thing with my ISM Adamo saddle.

I was thinking of increasing rail diameter with some sort of metal foil, or carbon paste. Or adding some width to the plastic piece by putting some epoxy on the sides.

Given the interop issue, crankbrothers should ship this with a slightly wider alternate plastic piece.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Photogorama View Post
    With 7 miles on the new Kronolog, I experienced the ~1cm of post slippage as well. I could feel the post creeping down riding in the saddle for less than one minute. Over the course of the ride, the creep grew from 4 to 10 mm as shown below.

In fairness to Crank Bros, I'm going to check my cable adjustment to ensure I got the 2-3mm spec of play in the trigger to ensure the cable is not preloaded.

The grease line in these images shows the before / after shots.

Image after dismount:

Image after full extension:
    It looks like the cable is rubbing on the seatpost clamp. The cable neede some free movement up and down. If it catches on the clamp, it may be caught in the semi open position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    I just shipped my old Maverick Speedball R/Joplin today for the trade-in program. I think the trade-in program is a very sweet deal, and I'm really looking forward to trying the Kronolog out on my Mojo HD.
    Update: I decided to not go forward with the upgrade at this time. Hopefully the issues will get sorted quickly for those having trouble with the Kronolog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by linger View Post
    It looks like the cable is rubbing on the seatpost clamp. The cable neede some free movement up and down. If it catches on the clamp, it may be caught in the semi open position.
    Cable is rubbing a small amount. Doesn't appear to be interfering with the clamp operation, but I can try clocking the seat clamp a bit just to eliminate that variable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Had mine for quite a few weeks now and did a race on it yesterday. So far I'm pretty happy and it work's as described. Only niggle is the seat clamp coming loose on the first few rides till I loctited it and yesterday I think it may have moved slightly. Zero play, zero slop, smooth action. Happy days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by linger View Post
    I agree with this. I actually turned my clamp around to the back because it was touching the cable. Unfortunately, CB says that a certain amount of slippage can cause damage that makes ensuing slippage more likely so your problem may not go away.

It would probably be useful for people to post pictures of their setups, especially if they're having problems.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

locked - time out
    Aug 2011
    bikeradar just has a review out.

3 stars...major problem being durability.

Oh, well.....hope mine last couple of months, at least.

Crankbrothers Kronolog Dropper Post - BikeRadar

locked - time out
    Aug 2011
    trailjunkee,

I think this will be problem (slippage) you (and others) will have whether you get a new post from them under warranty, unless they change the design (i.e. clamping surface).
    The wearing of the aluminum clamping surface by the steel plates has already been documented by pinbike and bikeradar after couple of months of riding.

I'm kind of POed that they put this out there w/o doing a comprehensive testing of the alu clamping surface for wear.

This is like the 1st generation Xbox 360, and they (Xbox people) knew (they have even stated in public that there would be 100% fail) about the problem, but still put it out into the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx View Post
    Kevin, did you figure out a solution to this? I'm seeing the same thing with my ISM Adamo saddle.

I was thinking of increasing rail diameter with some sort of metal foil, or carbon paste. Or adding some width to the plastic piece by putting some epoxy on the sides.

Given the interop issue, crankbrothers should ship this with a slightly wider alternate plastic piece.
    Yes, just kept tightening and loosening it till the rails of the saddle gave. the problem was the saddle. Been on a few rides and so far working wonderfully.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast