Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    If anybody wants to take a gamble on the Kronolog, you can get both the 30.9mm and 31.6mm posts at Nashbar for $129.59 during their 12 Hour Sale. The post is already 46% off (for a price of $161.99 from the $299.99 retail), and code 38748 at checkout will get you another 20% off.
    OK I'm in at this price. My first dropper post. Thanks for the lead.

I know the Kronolog has been known to have issues, but I'm willing to give it a try at this price. I'm curious to see how much I'll really use it during a ride.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one; figured between Crank Brothers warranty service and the Nashbar unconditional guarantee it's worth a go for $130. Got it for $150 with tax and shipping.

The guys at by LBS (Arizona Cyclist in Tucson) say they have installed a number of them and haven't had any issues if they're properly installed. I'll have them throw it on, which will help if I need to warrantee it since they're a Crank Bros dealer.

Here's hoping the post actually works!

mtbr member

Hmmm, was not expecting this...

It took 2 emails and 1 week but Crank brothers came through... today I have a new barrel adjuster. Seems the issue is known and switched to Jag cables as they are more flexible and cause less wear.. I tried but they would not send me one.. lol.
    So if yours did not come with a Jag cable check ur adjuster and send them and email.
    I has to sent email to 'info@crankbrothers.com' becasue the 'customerservice@crankbrothers.com' kept bouncing.
    Once I heard back from 'nick@crankbrothers.com' he said to email 'smallparts@crankbrothers.com'. So hope this helps someone.

Here is what happened and what I found.
    A week or two ago I went for a ride and for the first time I sat on the seat and the Kronolog went all the way down. I popped it back up and again sat down and it went all the way down again. Naturally I thought the worst. I managed to pull the lever back a bit and wiggle the cable. Seat stayed up. So I figured it was just an adjustment. Got back home and checked it out all looked fine. Took the post out of the bike and took the remote off too. Left it inside overnight, to see if there was a difference. Long story short.. it felt like the cable was bent, in the housing. I could depress the lever, and it would not return fully. When I adjusted the cable tension it seemed to resolve the sticking a bit. Now I did notice the cable was bent a bit at the activation lever end. I figured I just needed to replace the cable. I set out to do just that tonight. As you can see by the pictures, it was the adjuster that was the cause of the issue. It seems that the cable has worn into the adjuster. I will email CB and see what they say. After 5 months of riding 3-4 times a week, this seems odd. It is definitely a design issue. Will see what they say, as I have not seen anyone else post on this issue.

Emailed the "customerservice@crankbrothers.com" address and response was "The email account that you tried to reach does not exist".
    I have forwarded the email and the failed email to "info@crankbrothers.com".
    I did see in the installation video that the cable adjuster was half way out.. not all the way in. I left a little extra slack expecting to tighen the cable if eventually..
    Last edited by Element36; 01-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    night riding - it's an adiction

mtbr member
    Over six months of regular Kronolog use w/o any problems. Looks like I may be one of the fortunate ones?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That is serious wear! I will have to look at mine. Using it for 3/4 year now but not as often as you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    HAs anyone broke the bridge (plastic part that goes between the rails in the saddle)? if yes where did you get this part. I have e-mailed and called multiple times and no answer back.

cvega

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvega View Post
    HAs anyone broke the bridge (plastic part that goes between the rails in the saddle)? if yes where did you get this part. I have e-mailed and called multiple times and no answer back.cvega
    Hopefully you mean the piece the arrow is pointing to in the pic.
    I would try to email 'nick@crankbrothers.com' if you have not already.
    I know for the issue I had with the barrel adjuster he said to send an email to 'smallparts@crankbrothers.com'.
    no reason why they would not be able to get you one, don't know if they would cover it under warranty though. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-krono-plastic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yes this is the part, and I got a called telling me to e mail at small parts@crankbrothers.com, I do not know if I have to pay or it will cover under warranty, I would let you know as soon as I know

cvega

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    got e-mail back, I do not have to pay for the part at all, they are sending it through the mail.

Helmetless Crasher
    Does CB have a 7x9 kit for this to accept oval seat rails?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I have now had mine for a little over a month and have done a few big rides on it. I live in Tucson and our AM rides have lots of rocks and chunk, but also lots of climbing and rolling terrain. First, I can say that I love having a dropper post, use it many times each ride, and I think it made my testicles bigger. Getting my seat low and out of the way is helping me clean all sorts of gnarly tech sections that I never had the balls to clean before. The bad news is that the Kronolog already drops 1/2 inch when I sit on it at full extension, and today on Milagrosa Ridge the air spring apparently blew out and it won't rebound without me pulling on it. I think I'm going to send it back to Nashbar, get my money back, and buy a Gravity Dropper.

mtbr member
    got e-mail back, I do not have to pay for the part at all, they are sending it through the mail.
    Excellent!! That is good news. I hate to ask, but curiosity is killing me..
    How did it break?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quick update, after 10 or so months of reliable performance (the ever present 15 mm if initial slip notwithstanding) my kronolog stopped returning. I'm going to contact them and return it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    it broke when i was adjusting my saddle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Looks SWEET!

Standing by for all the CBs haters in 3...2....1..............

MTBP
    Hahaha

Let's fly!
    HAs anyone broke the bridge (plastic part that goes between the rails in the saddle)? if yes where did you get this part. I have e-mailed and called multiple times and no answer back.

cvega
    I just called Crank Brothers about some questions I had regarding rebuild kit compatibility for my EggBeaters. I talked to Evan and he was extremely helpful. While providing guidance to me about the differences between Candy and EB kits, he said if I buy a Candy kit for my EB pedals, I should just shoot an email to smallparts@crankbrothers.com and they will send the seals to me. I'm pretty sure that would be the correct avenue for you to get a replacement bridge. I called the number listed on their Contact page and was talking to a live person within a minute.

I've always received great service when I had questions or issues with Crank Brothers products (just a few instances, but am very happy with their service).

My Kronolog is still working great and I'm very happy with it.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My Kronolog finally failed after 8 months serious use. Send it to the shop in germany where I ordered it, it took 3 weeks and today i got mail that it has been fixed and they are sending it back to me. My problem was slipping, could not hold position at all, it happened very quickly, until then it worked like it should. So I thought its the issue with the soft metal / worn out notches on post, im very curious what have they fixed and how long will it last.
    They did not tell me what have they done, so im waiting now.

mtbr member
    Seems Bike Magic liked their review sample - Crankbrothers Kronolog seatpost review Ė Bike Magic
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    So if I live near crank bros hq and I buy the post, I can drive in and yell at them if it breaks, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE View Post
    So if I live near crank bros hq and I buy the post, I can drive in and yell at them if it breaks, right?
    S'what I did.

Got my first replaced/fixed/whatever b/c of the slipping issue.

Replacement had a jag wire cable set up and a 'new' trigger assembly with a cut-out window indicating cable slack was adequate.

New post lasted 4-ish weeks and has now blown out all its air.

Haven't bothered pulling it out to re-inflate it (hopefully will fix it) as I don't have any zip ties (lol).

At least their office is 15 minutes from mine, which was a primary consideration when evaluating dropper posts.

Faster it.
    UPDATE: If you've been following this thread from the start, you might have noticed that I'm one of the few who didn't seem to have any premature problems with the Kronolog. I had one of the very first batch and it took a little over a year of riding before my Kronolog finally started showing signs of slippage. At full height it would slip down about 1 inch after pedaling for about 50 feet on the trail while seated. I disassembled my Kronolog and found that everything was mechanically fine, but the locking levers were rounded and the stanchion tube had smooth spots where the post was slipping. I emailed Nick@CB about it, and he advised me to bring my seat post in for service (I live about 40 miles away from their offices).

I actually had a cousin bring it in (I work on weekdays and CB is closed on weekends) and my cousin was in and out of the CB office in less than 20 minutes. When I got home from work that same day, I was expecting to just get new locking levers installed for a nominal fee. However upon inspection of the serviced unit, the first thing I had noticed was that the seat post stanchion was replaced with a brand new piece! Further inspection revealed a lot more: In the mechanism area, I found an updated cable holder piece and a new lower cable end that replaced the short aluminum cable end that my seat post originally came with. The cable housing also featured a new semi-rigid extension piece that looked to be kink-resistant. On the other end of the cable, I found a completely new trigger assembly; not only was the trigger all new, but a closer look revealed that it was a new and updated design. There was a new cable spacer inside the trigger spring, and the trigger clamp/holder is a new design, with a notched adjustable trigger angle for better positioning. Nick even replaced my super-chipped bottom cap (long story, involves locking pliers and some impatience!) and filled the seat post up to the proper air pressure. Oh, and yes Ė the locking levers were replaced with brand new updated pieces.

All of that was done in a matter of minutes (on a Friday afternoon too), and the best part of it Ė I wasnít charged a single penny for the service. I had my Kronolog serviced and updated and ready to ride the next day.

On a side note, my cousin who has been running a Rockshox Reverb for almost the same time as I have (but nearly not as many miles on the odometer) is in the same position with his seat post slipping; but he has to send his seat post through a local dealer to the SRAM/Rockshox service department somewhere in Chicago, and they told him that the usual turnaround is 4 WEEKS MINIMUM (if they're not busy).

So I'm still happy with the Kronolog, and on top of that I'm pretty happy and confident with Crank Brothers customer service.

Here's some pics of my Kronolog and the updated stuff:

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-mmp_new_trigger.jpg
    New/updated trigger; sorry, you can't see the notched adjustable-angle clamp, but it's there.

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-mmp_kronolog_new_post.jpg
    Brand new stanchion.

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-mmp_kronolog_new_extension.jpg
    New cable extension/flex housing.

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-mmp_kronolog_new_mech.jpg
    New/updated mech fitting piece/collar thingy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good service from CB!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nick is a rad dude (guy @ CB who does the repair work). However mine's now broken for the third time. I ride 2x/week, MAYBE 30 miles/weekend. Got the full rebuild like Raine, new problem is that the post won't come up to full height (even with max pressure and confirmed torque spec for seatpost clamp). This was a different issue from the previous iterations where it slipped. Another guy I ride with has fore/aft rocking issues.

Kinda over this thing. Only thing preventing me from a(nother) refurb and selling it outright is the fact that these guys bang out repairs while you wait @ lunch.

mtbr member
    I'm now on my third Kronolog. First one was an original that slowly deteriorated and wouldn't stay up. Second one was a warranty replacement, new which deteriorated after three rides. I should have my new replacement tomorrow, we'll see how that one faires. Nick is great as is Crank Brothers customer service. At this point I think the overal design is flawed.

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayton View Post
    I'm now on my third Kronolog. First one was an original that slowly deteriorated and wouldn't stay up. Second one was a warranty replacement, new which deteriorated after three rides. I should have my new replacement tomorrow, we'll see how that one faires. Nick is great as is Crank Brothers customer service. At this point I think the overal design is flawed.
    Not to single you out or anything... but since you are the most recent person to post, I'm just curious - what do you mean by "deteriorated"? And after only three rides?

mtbr member
    The first one started to lower on its own; at first a 1/2" then it just wouldn't stay up at all this happenedover about five months. The second one started that after the second ride, by the third ride it wouldn't stay up at all. I followed the installation instructions to the letter.

mtbr member
    Now that you mention it, at the first 1" drop it sounded like a knock or pop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Everything CB makes, breaks. I dont understand why they're still a market player.
    egg beaters
    second gen wheelset
    pumps
    tools

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE View Post
    no reason to yell. but yes they support drop ins. Margo up front is awesome.

mtbr member
    I'm installing a crank brothers kronolog post but the clamps do not allow the saddle to pivot down (pretty much just up). Am I missing something or is this a serious design flaw? The lowest I can pivot the saddle is still too "nose up" for me (see attached crappy iphone pic).

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-img_0894.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine works great so I would rule out design flaw. That said I don't see any issues with the way you are set up (plenty of cable slack). Have you called Crank or talked to LBS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Mine works great so I would rule out design flaw.
    You can pivot the saddle towards the handlebars? If so, I wonder why mine won't allow it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes I can. I actually had to adjust it a couple of weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Margo@crankbrothers.com can point you to the right tech for assistance.

mtbr member
    Yes I can. I actually had to adjust it a couple of weeks ago.
    Weird - would you mind uploading a picture of the rails in the post? I've attached an image on my post and why I can't seem to pivot the nose further down.

Currently, there's a ton of opportunity to pivot the nose up and none to pivot the nose down. Obviously if I reversed the post, it would allow a ton of downward nose and minimal upward nose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-img_0896.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am not at home now. Can do later today.

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve View Post
    I'm installing a crank brothers kronolog post but the clamps do not allow the saddle to pivot down (pretty much just up). Am I missing something or is this a serious design flaw? The lowest I can pivot the saddle is still too "nose up" for me (see attached crappy iphone pic).

Thoughts?
    Not a "serious design flaw" at all. Normally the clamp for the saddle has more adjustment on the "back side" compared to the "front side" - if the cable and mech were facing forward, like most installations.

So - the reason why your saddle is nose up is because of how you're installing the Kronolog - you have the cable and mech on the rear of the post, not the front.

The solution is simple, no tech support needed from CB: If you want to run the cable at the rear of the post (like in your photo) you just have to remove the stanchion and flip it 90 degrees. That will put the saddle clamp part in a position to give you more movement to level your saddle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    Not a "serious design flaw" at all. Normally the clamp for the saddle has more adjustment on the "back side" compared to the "front side" - if the cable and mech were facing forward, like most installations.

So - the reason why your saddle is nose up is because of how you're installing the Kronolog - you have the cable and mech on the rear of the post, not the front.

The solution is simple, no tech support needed from CB: If you want to run the cable at the rear of the post (like in your photo) you just have to remove the stanchion and flip it 90 degrees. That will put the saddle clamp part in a position to give you more movement to level your saddle.
    Good catch. I didn't notice it was reversed. Mine was installed by a CB tech and it is set up forward.

Faster it.
    Good catch. I didn't notice it was reversed. Mine was installed by a CB tech and it is set up forward.
    You can run it either way, so it's not really "reversed" - it's just a matter of rotating the stanchion accordingly =)

mtbr member
    You can run it either way, so it's not really "reversed" - it's just a matter of rotating the stanchion accordingly =)

So now I know that instead of running into a major design flaw, I installed it backwards...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-picard-facepalm.jpg  

mtbr member
    You'll run into the major design flaw soon enough. Not to worry.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    After running this post for a little over 6 months here are my thoughts -

First one I had, did not come with that magic 2-3mm of slack in the cable. According to CB, this caused a failure. Either way, I sent mine in, they sent me a new one. They said it should have been setup correctly from the factory, which it was not.

The replaced one came setup with the 2-3 mm of slack in the cable and has been working well, giving it an A- I give it the minus because every now and again, I raise up the post and it will sink down a mm. When the seat is in the down position it moves around a little which is annoying. Overall, it goes up and down as designed. However the annoying 1mm move in the up and down position is annoying enough that I would not recommend this post.
    Uzzi

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    However the annoying 1mm move in the up and down position is annoying enough that I would not recommend this post.
    wow all that because of 1mm? ok.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    wow all that because of 1mm? ok.
    Well - when there are 7 other brands that don't do that, then yes. Is this 1mm (probably more like 2mm) a precursor to a greater issue? When it goes to the top it should not move at all, as when it goes to the bottem. I'm not selling mine, but if someone asks if they should buy a Kronolog, I would steer them to the Thompson.
    Uzzi

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    Well - when there are 7 other brands that don't do that, then yes. Is this 1mm (probably more like 2mm) a precursor to a greater issue? When it goes to the top it should not move at all, as when it goes to the bottem. I'm not selling mine, but if someone asks if they should buy a Kronolog, I would steer them to the Thompson.
    I'm just saying... your butt is probably super duper sensitive to feel a 1mm drop LOL

=D

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    My friend just got a Kronolog, and I am not impressed at all.

First, the action just feels sticky and rough. even on the first day.

Second, the seat clamp does not work right. It tightens around the part on the post that sets the tilt, but I could not get it tight enough to really hold onto the saddle rails tight enough. The bike shop that sold it to us just used the longest handled torx wrench they has and cranked the crap out of it until it held. When I checked how tight it is, I was surprised they were able to get it that tight without stripping the bolt. I looked up the torque spec on that and it is only something like 12 N*M.

Third, the sliding shaft looks like it is asking for trouble (and from the reviews, it looks like my suspicions are correct). Why is there no boot for this? You've got an exposed stanchion that has grease on it which is going to collect crap that sticks to it (not to mention you get it all over your hand when you pick the bike up by the post). It has a seal to keep the crud out of the inners, but the shaft is not round, so I can't see how it could seal all that well. Even if it does at first, I would think that the seals would wear at the edges of the flat parts of the shaft. The sales guy said it's just like a fork stanchion. No, it's not. Fork stanchions are round, and you don't grease them.

I am trying to convince my friend to use the bad seat clamp as an excuse to return this and buy a GD.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post

Second, the seat clamp does not work right. It tightens around the part on the post that sets the tilt, but I could not get it tight enough to really hold onto the saddle rails tight enough. The bike shop that sold it to us just used the longest handled torx wrench they has and cranked the crap out of it until it held. When I checked how tight it is, I was surprised they were able to get it that tight without stripping the bolt. I looked up the torque spec on that and it is only something like 12 N*M.

Third, the sliding shaft looks like it is asking for trouble (and from the reviews, it looks like my suspicions are correct). Why is there no boot for this? You've got an exposed stanchion that has grease on it which is going to collect crap that sticks to it (not to mention you get it all over your hand when you pick the bike up by the post). It has a seal to keep the crud out of the inners, but the shaft is not round, so I can't see how it could seal all that well. Even if it does at first, I would think that the seals would wear at the edges of the flat parts of the shaft. The sales guy said it's just like a fork stanchion. No, it's not. Fork stanchions are round, and you don't grease them.

I am trying to convince my friend to use the bad seat clamp as an excuse to return this and buy a GD.
    It shouldn't be slow or "sticky". Swap the post for a new one.

Mine works great... But it is my second. The first was replaced by CB

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    It shouldn't be slow or "sticky". Swap the post for a new one.
    Hopefully we will..... for a Gravity Dropper.

Seriously, with 2 QC issues right out of the box, and a design that seems (to me) destined to eventually fail, and a plethora of examples from both users and reviewers to validate my concerns, I can't see any reason to not return this for something we already know has a strong track record for longevity.

I mean, what is the selling point, here? "It might not be as bad as you think" or "It doesn't crap out on some people"?

I'm glad yours works well. How many years have you had it? Two? Three?

Faster it.
    wow... It's been awhile since someone chimed in who wasn't an actual owner LOL =)

Anyhoo - like the other guy said, if it "feels stick and rough" that's not how it's supposed to be. mine always moved smooth and linear ever since I bought it.

Second - The seat clamp works fine, provided you use the included spacer/insert between the rails. You don't have to "crank the crap out of it" - once it sandwiches the plastic rail insert/spacer it tightens up the grip on the saddle rails with maybe 1 more turn.

I've put more than a year of riding on mine before it started showing any issues (can't be 2 or 3 years, it hasn't been out that long.) Mine was one of the first batch, and when I finally needed it to be serviced earlier this year CB gladly rebuilt it with all new/updated parts for free, in less than 15 minutes, the same day I brought it to them, no questions asked.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    wow... It's been awhile since someone chimed in who wasn't an actual owner LOL =)
    I act as this guys mechanic and general gear-nerd, and I worked with his post (and bike) a lot. In any event, I've used it and worked on it, regardless of who it goes home with.

Anyhoo - like the other guy said, if it "feels stick and rough" that's not how it's supposed to be. mine always moved smooth and linear ever since I bought it.
    I know that's not how it is "supposed" to be. Nothing is "supposed" to feel like crap. That's the whole point. Poor QC.

Second - The seat clamp works fine, provided you use the included spacer/insert between the rails. You don't have to "crank the crap out of it" - once it sandwiches the plastic rail insert/spacer it tightens up the grip on the saddle rails with maybe 1 more turn.
    No, the seat clamp does NOT work fine. It is supposed to work fine, and YOURS may work fine, but this one does not. Again, poor QC. We have the spacer. This was not just me, the shop had the exact same issue with it.

I've put more than a year of riding on mine before it started showing any issues (can't be 2 or 3 years, it hasn't been out that long.) Mine was one of the first batch, and when I finally needed it to be serviced earlier this year CB gladly rebuilt it with all new/updated parts for free, in less than 15 minutes, the same day I brought it to them, no questions asked.
    This needed a rebuild after a year? Is this supposed to be a selling point? Are they going to do this for you for free every year? Also, realize that most will need to mail it in.

Sorry, this is just not at all convincing me to buy one, it is convincing me to stay the hell away.

Kronolog: It may not work right, but it is supposed to.

Faster it.
    I act as this guys mechanic and general gear-nerd, and I worked with his post (and bike) a lot. In any event, I've used it and worked on it, regardless of who it goes home with.

I know that's not how it is "supposed" to be. Nothing is "supposed" to feel like crap. That's the whole point. Poor QC.

No, the seat clamp does NOT work fine. It is supposed to work fine, and YOURS may work fine, but this one does not. Again, poor QC. We have the spacer. This was not just me, the shop had the exact same issue with it.

This needed a rebuild after a year? Is this supposed to be a selling point? Are they going to do this for you for free every year? Also, realize that most will need to mail it in.

Sorry, this is just not at all convincing me to buy one, it is convincing me to stay the hell away.

Kronolog: It may not work right, but it is supposed to.
    Relax guy... =)

Ok - your buddies seat clamp does not seem to work fine, but mine DOES. So I guess we're both right LOL

And my seatpost didn't need a FULL rebuild after a year, it just needed new clamps (since it's mechanical friction and the clamps got worn round)... but they rebuilt the whole thing with the newer, updated parts without me even asking for it. In fact, the only parts I could identify that were my original parts were the outer case, the seatpost clamp (which still works =P ) and the bottom cap. They didn't have to replace all of the other parts, but I'm sure that because there are a lot of people having problems with it that it's better for them to do the whole job, and I salute them for that.

And yes, most people aren't conveniently living within 30 minutes of CB - luckily I was, I was originally going to send it in and they quoted me a 2 day turnaround once they received my seatpost, but I elected to just bring it to them on a Thursday to get it done in time for a weekend ride, thinking I could just pick it up the next day - but they fixed everything on the spot.

So anyhow... that's my experience so far, and although a lot of people have had issues, I guess you can say I'm one of the lucky ones. Would I recommend the Kronolog to others? I have to two people (I even linked them to this thread so that they can see both sides); one went ahead and bought one (no problems at all so far) and the other one ended up getting a DOSS instead. On a side note, my cousin's Rockshox Reverb won't even stay up after less than a year... and after contacting them about actually mailing it in, they said it would be a 4-5-week turnaround. My brother's Giant-branded Contact Switch, on the other hand, is a lot older than my Kronolog and my cousin's Reverb, has a lot more mileage, and yet it still works buttery smooth to this day.

Go figure? heh

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Iv got my seat post back 2 weeks and no problems

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey guys, I think I got a bad post too. I followed the instructions. It looks like the only thing is to make sure the cable's right and you don't see that evil shape in window of the lever per the directions... which suck!!

First it worked riding around after I built the bike. Then the post would go down but not stay down. Now it pops up but if I sit on it.. it goes down! The post will work every once on a while. I'm taking the Kronolog to my LBS for them to check out.

Any other suggestions??
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    CB replaced mine for free. Haven't had a problem since.

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie View Post
    Hey guys, I think I got a bad post too. I followed the instructions. It looks like the only thing is to make sure the cable's right and you don't see that evil shape in window of the lever per the directions... which suck!!

First it worked riding around after I built the bike. Then the post would go down but not stay down. Now it pops up but if I sit on it.. it goes down! The post will work every once on a while. I'm taking the Kronolog to my LBS for them to check out.

Any other suggestions??
    sounds like clamping part doesn't seem to be working right, it's the same parts that are supposed to hold the seatpost all the way up or all the way down. Try removing the cover to the mech to see if the cable is moving smoothly and that both levers are moving independently of each other... if one of the levers sticks then it won't do what it's supposed to do. Usually the bottom lever hangs up if the cable/cable housing can't move freely when you hit the trigger. Check for any extra grease in there too

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    LOL whatever floats your boat buddy... but I think I've tried helping more people with all of my replies in this thread, how about you?
    I've helped them by warning them. Which is far far more useful than any delusions you could possibly proffer about the Kronofail
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    I've helped them by warning them. Which is far far more useful than any delusions you could possibly proffer about the Kronofail
    "...delusions... crackwhore... going to hell..."

My Kronolog is working, how is that delusional? And how would you know if I smoke crack and if so, enough to be a crackwhore? and who told you I was going to hell? Am I on a passenger list? LOL Don't call me out because I'm trying to help those who actually have one and are having problems with it. You don't know me and I could care less who you are, so don't take it to personal level because if you don't like the product or you think it sucks then good for you. That's your opinion and that's fine.

I don't like Hockey but at least I don't whine about it.

HF

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They're pretty much unfixable. The design is shite. Raine is an apologist crackwhore and will go to hell for deluding any one stupid enough to listen to his drivel and try this turd of a post. Bin it and move on - chalk it up to experience
    I built a Dixon for your neck of the woods. I plan to ride it anywhere from the city up to Pemby. While I don't need a dropper post for places like Fromme I would think they would come in handy around Whistler Valley. What post do you recommend? I may buy another if the Kronolog fails.

Hey Rune, thanks for helping! The Kronolog came highly recommended. I was given a choice of LEV or CB but was told the Kronolog was the way to go. It may be a stuck lever or something. Sometimes it won't stay down and sometimes it won't stay up. I don't get it!! I'll do what you think and then it's going to the shop.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I built a Dixon for your neck of the woods. I plan to ride it anywhere from the city up to Pemby. While I don't need a dropper post for places like Fromme I would think they would come in handy around Whistler Valley. What post do you recommend? I may buy another if the Kronolog fails.

Hey Rune, thanks for helping! The Kronolog came highly recommended. I was given a choice of LEV or CB but was told the Kronolog was the way to go. It may be a stuck lever or something. Sometimes it won't stay down and sometimes it won't stay up. I don't get it!! I'll do what you think and then it's going to the shop.
    From a sample of 3 bike shops in North Van and a fleet of test bikes (10) approx 50% of Kronologs fail. Approx 15% of the 1st gen Reverb failed (with the silver collar). Approx 5-8% of next gen Reverbs and KS Levs failed. Insufficient data for Fox, Specialized and X-Fusion posts. Gravity Droppers rarely fail fwiw.

You are taking your chances with a Kronofail

Just so I know who on earth recommended a Kronolog to you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Umm... that data sucks! So you're saying no dropper post then? Maybe a new Reverb or Lev? something maybe?

I guess? What would you do? I'm new at all this sub 30 lb AM with no tubes and seatpost that moves up and down. Last time I rode comfortably Numb was on a 2003 Giant AC Air. I rode a Rocky mountain Element 29er rental down Kyber two years ago. The guy almost didn't gimme back my deposit back! I'm just tryin to build something I enjoy riding out there besides my DH.

A guy on Pinkbike that I bought my Flow EX wheels and XX1 group from. He was super cool to deal with. I think he owns a shop around Chicago. I wasn't from a shop nearby. I bought my last couple DH's from Fantlyk but didn't have six grand to pay from a built Knolly endo or chili. So I lowballed my way around Pinkbike until I had all the parts for this Dixon. Haha.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Umm... that data sucks! So you're saying no dropper post then? .
    His data for Gravity Dropper was pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    His data for Gravity Dropper was pretty good.
    Checked them out.. Lots of options when buying from the factory. Guess I'll go down that road if this Kronolog doesn't magically start working right. Thanks Lee!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Checked them out.. Lots of options when buying from the factory. Guess I'll go down that road if this Kronolog doesn't magically start working right. Thanks Lee!
    yah GD's are pretty reliable. Data from new gen KS's isn't good as they've not been around long enough to really develop an opinion. That failure rate for Reverbs and KS's is actually pretty standard for dropper posts so its best to make sure you can send them back for repair if you need to do that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yah GD's are pretty reliable. Data from new gen KS's isn't good as they've not been around long enough to really develop an opinion. That failure rate for Reverbs and KS's is actually pretty standard for dropper posts so its best to make sure you can send them back for repair if you need to do that.
    Will I be able to send the Kronolog back without a bill of sale? Like I said I bought the post from someone off Pinkbike. Everything was in a box and brand new. I got an XX1 group and set of Flow EX wheels too but no receipt. He was really great to deal with and did give me a choice. I just went with the cheaper. Funny the only part that wasn't an arm and a leg broke... GO FIGURE!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Will I be able to send the Kronolog back without a bill of sale? Like I said I bought the post from someone off Pinkbike. Everything was in a box and brand new. I got an XX1 group and set of Flow EX wheels too but no receipt. He was really great to deal with and did give me a choice. I just went with the cheaper. Funny the only part that wasn't an arm and a leg broke... GO FIGURE!
    No idea. Good luck with the post though- you will need it

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    OK, OK so I got the post to work. Raine, I took your advice and cleaned up the grease inside. Then I messed around with the cable adjustment basically leaving no tension on the cable at all. Boom!!.. The Kronolog works. I'm still going to buy a traditional post for riding in my home state of MD. I'll keep the Kronolog for times when I need it like my second home, Whistler.

Now I would like to reduce the travel of the Kronolog. I checked the directions and bought a spanner wrench for the install. I just have one question.. WTF is that spacer in the diagram?? The directions show a blue highlighted spacer on diagram 7. The box didn't come with one and I haven't taken apart the post to find out if it's in there. Anyone know where the spacer is? Or.. Should I just use the infinite control feature to pick the seat height that's right. Do you guys think that would be a pain in the ass? I've never ridden with a dropper post before. I would imagine using it anytime things get even a little techincal since hitting a button's so easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My Kronolog is also working perfect for over a year now. May not have put very much hours on it...but it works. Yes it shows some wear but nothing to be concerned about.

homeless junkie: i have a seperate spacer in the box. You don't as you wrote. Maybe it is in there already? Did you measure travel to make sure?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    homeless junkie: i have a seperate spacer in the box. You don't as you wrote. Maybe it is in there already? Did you measure travel to make sure?
    Yea, I checked.. The post is 15.94 inches or 405 mm. I rechecked the box and the only thing left in there is a sticker and the two cardboard pieces that came in the seat clamp. I'm taking my bike in to my LBS to get a blessing that it's safe to ride. I'll see if they have one lying around.

I'm just glad it's works now!

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    OK, OK so I got the post to work. Raine, I took your advice and cleaned up the grease inside. Then I messed around with the cable adjustment basically leaving no tension on the cable at all. Boom!!.. The Kronolog works. I'm still going to buy a traditional post for riding in my home state of MD. I'll keep the Kronolog for times when I need it like my second home, Whistler.
    Glad to hear sir!

Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    Now I would like to reduce the travel of the Kronolog. I checked the directions and bought a spanner wrench for the install. I just have one question.. WTF is that spacer in the diagram?? The directions show a blue highlighted spacer on diagram 7. The box didn't come with one and I haven't taken apart the post to find out if it's in there. Anyone know where the spacer is? Or.. Should I just use the infinite control feature to pick the seat height that's right. Do you guys think that would be a pain in the ass? I've never ridden with a dropper post before. I would imagine using it anytime things get even a little techincal since hitting a button's so easy.
    It should have come with a small black spacer in the box; if not, your best option is to contact CB and ask them to send you a new spacer (since you got your Kronolog from a forum and not a store). You can maybe find something similar at a craft or hardware store to get a custom height (when the Kronolog is fully extended) but it would have to be made of plastic - not metal or it will score the inner pole, not rubber or it will just wrap itself around something and possibly cause the post to get stuck - with the correct inner diameter to fit on the inner pole thingy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Like to know how long is the length from top of seat collar to saddle rail during max insertion.
    I read some quote 8.5 inch on pink bike, competitive cyclist and while some 8.75 inch on vital mtb

Can anyone help confirm the length?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My Kronolog started slipping an inch after 4 months of use. Did a little mod.. now stays where I want it to stay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what was the mod?

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost

Just reporting: one more slipping post here. Sent to crank bros for warranty repair. I followed all instructions when installing, i was hyper aware of the need to leave 3mm play in the thumb lever before it engages the clamping teeth.

I observed the problem is, of the two clamping teeth, the lower one was not returning to fully locked position. I think this is because the cable must move freely in the small hole where it enters the bottom of the clamp assembly. Over time, the cable housing naturally develops some friction here, resisting its free motion, so that it doesn't allow the lower tooth to move to fully locked position. Problem is, once the first skip occurred, its like a permanent problem at that point.

Bummer.

Sent from your phone, which i hacked into

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    what was the mod?
    Just dremeled a small part to make the locks stay in place. So far it works for me im 160lb

Let's fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by karMeister View Post
    Just dremeled a small part to make the locks stay in place. So far it works for me im 160lb
    Picture would be very much appreciated! You might be able to make a small business on the side making these parts!
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiRider View Post
    Picture would be very much appreciated! You might be able to make a small business on the side making these parts!
    Sorry, I meant i dremeled off part of the post. You know how the locks chew on the post? It looked like the front locks push the post against the 2 locks on the back. And it stayed when it was new until it starts slipping because of grease and yes wear. When new, the post slips like 2-4 mm until the locks get to hold. (Manual says its supposed to happen tho)

When mine started slipping an inch lower I took it apart and dremeled the parts to make it a little deeper for the lcoks to stay (1.5-2mm deep). The post is thick so it looks like it shouldn't hurt ( and I was desperate.)

It works for me so far. Ill get pics when i take it apart.

ride more
    Mar 2007

Wow, that's brave.:what:

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    An update on this:

Well, the seat clamp kept sliding (despite torquing the crap out of the bolt), so the shop took it back and called CB. Between the clamp and the fact that the action felt a little rough/sticky they were hoping to just get a new post.

No such luck. Nothing in the warranty about not feeling smooth, it worked, and that's that. As far as the clamp, CB kept having the shop try one thing after another (which the guys in the shop felt was a waste of time), and finally sent them a new part for the clamp (not sure which one).

They put the new clamp piece on, put the post on the bike........ and now the post does not work

What a worthless piece of sh!t.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Regarding the rail clamp problem. Remove the rail clamp completely. Pull the e-clips off the rail clamp bolt so you can pull it out. Inspect and clean the surfaces that the rail bolt faces rest on then apply a tiny amount of CLP on the bolt face and the clamp surface where the two mate. Reinstall the rail bolt and clip it in place. Torque to 105 lb in. The rail clamp bolt is supposedly tested to 115 in lb.

Regarding smooth motion. Disassemble seatpost as per CB instruction. Wipe any "oil" or old grease from inside the body and quill. IMO, adding oil is a bad suggestion from CB on maintenance. Once quill and inner body is clean, apply a liberal amount of light PTFE silicon grease to all seals and friction areas on inside of body tube. Apply thin coat of grease on quill and reassemble. Wipe off excess when reassembled.

The two arms (for lack of a better term) that lock and position the quill, can get upset from their proper position when the system is taken apart. This will cause them to run out of alignment with each other and you won't be able to get the quill started back into the body or it will go into through the seal and first arm but not the second on reassembly. Have a little patience and study how the system works. With a little manipulation and the gentle help of a long bladed standard screwdriver, you can get the arms to seat back into proper position with the body against the spring tension they are under. Reassemble.

When you connect the cable to the locking mechanism, make sure you cut it close the pinch bolt connection. If too much tag end is left, when you put the cable cover back on and lock it in place, it can contact the cable end and apply pressure to the locking mechanism causing the seat to slip down a bit when you sit on it.

I started with a brand new Kronolog that had a similar issue with clamping force on the clamp rail. The clamp bolt remedy was one I discussed with CB tech and it did solve my issue. After taking the system apart to add the 20mm spacer, a significant amount of the original grease was removed just by handling the components with a rag. On reassembly, the quill would not return in a nice, quick, and smooth manner as it had before. Adding oil to the mix was a bad idea as it really slowed the upward return and caused it to function poorly. Cleaning a greasing as I described returned the unit to working flawlessly and smoothly every time. I've had the unit in service for a couple months now with absolutely no issues.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Regarding the rail clamp problem. Remove the rail clamp completely. Pull the e-clips off the rail clamp bolt so you can pull it out. Inspect and clean the surfaces that the rail bolt faces rest on then apply a tiny amount of CLP on the bolt face and the clamp surface where the two mate. Reinstall the rail bolt and clip it in place. Torque to 105 lb in. The rail clamp bolt is supposedly tested to 115 in lb.
    105 in/lbs would not even begin to tighten on the seat rails. It took several times that toque to get the saddle stable, and even then it could slip. The shop tried everything CB told them to to no avail.

The rail clamp seems like a pretty bad design to me, because the slightest variation in saddle rail thickness will result in either the clamp bottoming out before they are tight on the rails (if the rails are too thin), or crush the rails before the tilt is locked in place (if the rails are too thick). In our case it seemed like the rails were too thin, but the new clamp seemed to work.

Bu thanks for the rest of the info on freeing it up when it get's sticky, I'll likely end up using it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Update: My Kronolog still works!

Been riding in Pemberton, Whistler, and Squamish so the Kronolog has come in handy,

Lord of the Chain Rings
    After getting mine back from CB, mine still works too! It's been 8 months..
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Just sent mine back for the 3rd time. 1st time May 2012 a couple weeks after I bought it; second time basically lasted most of the season, started slipping badly, went back in October, replaced it with the "revised" version; now late July early August won't hold air, slips.

Basically, this post will last between 4-5 months of regular use. honestly I cannot believe Crank Brothers hasn't issued a full on recall of this product.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    4 months in and mine works great.

mtbr member

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost

I got mine back from its first rebuild about a month ago. It worked great for a while, but now I'm noticing it slipping down just a bit from full extension. It doesn't make the crunching sound as it slips down like before. It just slowly slips down until it gets to the point that I notice it. I can see the green dot in the lever window move off center a bit as its slipping down. I'm not sure what that is all about.

Well a month of perfect operation is better than the one ride I got originally.

Lord of the Chainrings
    The lever sucks! Sits up too high and is too thin.
    Has anyone tried installing a different type of lever?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
    You can angle it unless you got an old version which only has a one-piece lever mount; the newer one is adjustable for angle.

I haven't tried a different lever but since the Kronolog uses a standard derailleur cable I don't see why it couldn't be used with anything else that uses regular derailleur cables as long as the other lever moves enough of a distance to release the locking plates

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I do not have any problem with mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been using the lever ripped off a Xfusion Hilo. Been using it for about a year - works great.

Lord of the Chainrings

Lever

Installed a modified Paul E-Lever. One finger actuation works GREAT!

E-Lever from Paul Component Engineering
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-lever2.jpg  

Last edited by Mudd; 09-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hi guys,
    I replaced my Joplin that I stopped using 1.5 years ago because it blew all the oil out the bottom. They offered me the so called upgrade deal and I got the Kronolog. I only started using it because we have a trip next week to Bend Oregon. So it has been moving slightly from the start I was not sure if it was the rails on my seat. Today all in 1 ride it starts slipping 3/4 of an inch but only at my preferred pedaling height about 1 inch from the top. It seems ok when itís at the top of the range and near the bottom too. Just in the middle where itís most used.
    Iíve been using it for 3 weeks. Mostly Iím venting Iíll see what they say tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by datman View Post
    Hi guys,
    I replaced my Joplin that I stopped using 1.5 years ago because it blew all the oil out the bottom. They offered me the so called upgrade deal and I got the Kronolog. I only started using it because we have a trip next week to Bend Oregon. So it has been moving slightly from the start I was not sure if it was the rails on my seat. Today all in 1 ride it starts slipping 3/4 of an inch but only at my preferred pedaling height about 1 inch from the top. It seems ok when itís at the top of the range and near the bottom too. Just in the middle where itís most used.
    Iíve been using it for 3 weeks. Mostly Iím venting Iíll see what they say tomorrow.
    When you set it up on the bike, how much of a tag end did you leave on the cable end that's enclosed in the mechanism housing? Check that and cut it if it's longer than 2mm. When the sliding housing cover is pushed down and snapped into place, if the tag end is too long, it will impart pressure on the cable end therefore imparting pressure on the locking jaws as if they were being released. This will cause the quill (seatpost) to slide unexpectedly. Worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I never changed the cable as it was attached and the length was good. I look at it this morning and at he base of the stanchion the rear track (I have the cable lock mechanism facing forward) you can feel the metal has been scraped off as it the lock just planed nearly an inch of length.

Do you have the appropriate amount of play in the cable along its run from the handlebars as well as the suggested freeplay in the lever itself? Those 2 things are critical as turning the bars when the cable is taught can cause the seat to actuate momentarily.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    When you set it up on the bike, how much of a tag end did you leave on the cable end that's enclosed in the mechanism housing? Check that and cut it if it's longer than 2mm. When the sliding housing cover is pushed down and snapped into place, if the tag end is too long, it will impart pressure on the cable end therefore imparting pressure on the locking jaws as if they were being released. This will cause the quill (seatpost) to slide unexpectedly. Worth a look.
    Yep. Had the same issue.
    Cut it short and perhaps bend it as to not touch the cover.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm sure it is setup correct. There is plenty of slack in the cable. At this point if I lower the seat about an inch the area that a thin layer of the metal has been scrapped off is in the area where the locking rings grab and by applying a fair amount of pressure with my hand I can push the seat down nearly an inch more. I should be able to call them now see what they have to say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Talked to CB and they are going to fix it and pay the shipping but I won't get it by next Friday. So I paid for a repaired Joplin 4 and they will ship it right away.
    I attached picture to show how it was set up. You can see how at the base of the post the metal is gone and now it won't grab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-cb-1.jpg  

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-cb-2.jpg  

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-cb-3.jpg  

> /dev/null 2&>1

As of my ride today mine is slipping again, 2nd time. Only 30mi on it after it was warranty repaired in June. Yes I'm following the setup directions to the letter.

Edit: called Crank bros today and they were very responsive, sounds like they're going to make it right. Will update with outcome.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    Last edited by Procter; 09-10-2013 at 05:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Gotta give props to CB. Brought my post in with some slipping that started as 1/4" and quickly progressed to 2-3". They replaced it for me then helped me with the new saddle clamp that wasn't too happy with my Fizik tundra 2 saddle.

These guys have been nothing but helpful in dealing with this product.

Frankly, with all the problems ALL the posts on the market have, this is the only one I'd consider keeping around given I can just drive down there at lunch and have them check it out for me. Not really interested in being a $400/pop guinea pig for other manufacturers.

Wish all the best of luck. Mine has survived some serious abuse and has only given slight problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mine is also going strong! Since one and a half years now. Wear doesn't look at al like the pic from Datman. Although my bike is not ridden weekly it has seen some mud and several weekends in the Alps. Actually...I use it more doing XC/trail than using it in the mountains were it is up for climbing and down for downhill.

And the post is sold overhere for 200 euro / $270. That's about half the price of a Thomson or Fox. So when it goes bust....simply buy a new one

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1