Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    how heavy are you ??
    gravity dropper. wins! You all are test dummies! And it's crank bros to boot! You all read the forums... .they suck...
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150 View Post
    gravity dropper. wins!

Really?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-dropper_1924.jpg  

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-dropper-12.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    What a freakin lemon, I actually feel bad for Crankbros, this was their chance to shine. I can't believe they didn't do more testing. It's ridiculous that all of the production units are failing immediately. Somebody over there dropped the ball big time.

Hopefully they can manage to fix the issues, but they should of done this before releasing it.

Maybe the next batch will be improved and reliable like the 2012>2011 reverbs. Seems to be a nice unit if it didn't fail.
    It seems they just failed to match the metal hardness between the clamps and the shaft, which causes the wear. Seems fixable, but who knows whether they'll get it figured out....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

CB have responded- great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by deanmor View Post
    Hello,

As an avid fan of dropper posts since my first acquaintance with them via the Joplin 3, I was eagerly anticipating the delivery of my new Kronolog. The Joplin was a fantastic idea, reasonably executed, but the reliability was non-existent. It lasted all of 3 weeks before leaking fluid all over my bottom bracket whilst sagging horrendously. I then replaced the seals and it lasted all of a further 2 weeks, where-after I simply binned it. As a customer I was frustrated but open to exploring other ideas.

I was about to place an order for a Gravity Dropper, and then I saw the promo-hype for your new Kronolog. Man was I taken with it! It looked fantastic, and if the design was as good as you claimed, then it would be absolutely primo! I read every review, watched every video (repeatedly), salivating at the thought of having my bike handle like a large BMX once again!

So I ordered one and eagerly awaited its arrival. My initial impressions were that the presentation was top notch and the finish superb. I installed the post, and one sleeplessly anticipatory night later was out on the trail. What an absolute blast! It operated as expected; was rock solid, and absolutely no saddle movement! WOW! I could only do a quick 10 miles XC ride (4 month old kids place significant time-constraints on one!), and I was well, well impressed.

Until today. Preparing my bike for my next ride tomorrow, I sat on the saddle and the post sagged ever so slightly. Checking the post, when right at the top, if reasonable weight is placed on the post, it drops about 10mm, then locks. I could live with this, but I can feel the metal grinding against metal during this movement, so I'm not sure how long this will now last. I'm very disappointed that the post is seemingly starting to fail, and I've ridden it for less than an hour. Which is about 1999 hours short of the 2000 hours you guys tested, right?

In the near future I shall be ordering a Gravity Dropper, and selling my Kronolog. I cannot abide a component on my bike that may fail, particularly when I am 20 miles from home. I will never, never, never (did i get the that right? no, one more never ever fit another CB product to my bike. At some point you're likely to go bankrupt and I suggest that your marketing personnel should work for Apple or BMW (or any well known brand that requires marketing/PR genius). I suggest that your engineers find gainful employment as anything other than engineers.

Regards, your ex-customer,

Dean

Hi all,

In the interests of intellectual honesty, I have to advise that CB have responded. Their approach has been one of getting this resolved and they have offered a repair/replacement at no cost to me. The have offrered to send me a UPS shipping label. Very good customer service!

Here's hoping the replacement product works as well as their customer service!

Dean

Faster it.
    Just a thought: If half of the posts in this thread from people bashing Crank Brothers and their products who don't even HAVE a Kronolog were deleted, it would probably be much easier for us ACTUAL OWNERS to sort out the good/bad feedback and help resolve others problems... LOL but what am I thinking, this is the Internet.

BTW mine is still doing as expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    Just a thought: If half of the posts in this thread from people bashing Crank Brothers and their products who don't even HAVE a Kronolog were deleted, it would probably be much easier for us ACTUAL OWNERS to sort out the good/bad feedback and help resolve others problems... LOL but what am I thinking, this is the Internet.

BTW mine is still doing as expected.
    That is a good point. And "as expected" means failing?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Reverb, to replace my Kronolog, which replaced my Joplin 4.

I think if you are light weight, or don't ride often, it will be fine. Putting in 10 hours a week on this thing, I am 2 weeks in and annoyed. It's still working, but going downhill quick, and needs too much attention. If those lock plates don't float freely, fatal problems arise. On mine, the post was starting to dry out and be hard to compress. So I greased the internals, and then the lock plates would not engage, or engage intermittent.
    Bend, Oregon

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    That is a good point. And "as expected" means failing?
    Of course not. If it's expected to fail then why even bother buying one? So that you (not you in particular - the "buyer") can jump into a forum and complain about it? LOL

mtbr member
    Of course not. If it's expected to fail then why even bother buying one? So that you (not you in particular - the "buyer") can jump into a forum and complain about it? LOL
    That was mostly a joke.

But that is lucky that you've had a positive experience so far, however if you read the thread it seems like you are in the minority, so without stating what you expected, expecting failure isn't out of touch.

Everyone has high hopes that what they buy will work out. I would much rather read that they all worked out great with no issues and so would most people I think plus I don't think people would hold back if they had good things to say. So I'll wait for the next generation. Or the one after. Or make my own.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Faster it.
    That was mostly a joke.

But that is lucky that you've had a positive experience so far, however if you read the thread it seems like you are in the minority, so without stating what you expected, expecting failure isn't out of touch.

Everyone has high hopes that what they buy will work out. I would much rather read that they all worked out great with no issues and so would most people I think plus I don't think people would hold back if they had good things to say. So I'll wait for the next generation. Or the one after. Or make my own.
    I know it was a joke, I had that "LOL" at the end too

I'm not the only one having a positive experience so far, and I've been following this thread since it was started; there are people having issues with it, but the whole ratio of bad/good posts wouldn't be as pronounced if a bunch of people who don't even have the product wouldn't waste our time with their negative comments. Now I wonder out of curiousity if there are more people in this thread who have posted that do not own a Kronolog at all - and are just referencing reviews from outside sources and/or just riding along the "Hater train" lol

As for what I've seen so far, anyone who's had an issue that had contacted Crank Brothers about it has gotten good customer support and an effort to correct the problem on the CB side... how many companies actually do this? At least CB is being good with supporting their products up front.

I used to work in a different industry (hobby industry) where we'd have manufacturers come up with products that they've tested for countless hours for durability or performance. Said product would then hit the public and numerous failures and complaints about reliability would pop up. We would then test said product for review, and either we would A. get the product to fail even more than the "regular customer" or B. not see the product fail during extended but regular usage.

The point is, we used to tell these companies that if you want to really test how durable or reliable your product is - DO NOT give it to someone that is in the industry or is into the hobby, because they will know what the product is intended for, and they will rarely push the product beyond that limit. Instead, give the product to a complete newb instead - and for sure you will find out if the product will be durable or not.

CB claims over "2,000 hours" of testing for reliability, which is much better than just putting a product out on theory - but I think they should have had non-bikers test the product as well. People "outside" the industry would not know how to use it until shown how (or reading the instructions). People outside the industry would not have any preconceived notions of what the product should and should not be able to do, nor have any previous experience with other competing products to refer to.

Now I'm not saying that all of the failures are caused by people who don't know what they are doing - what I mean to say is that maybe CB should have done more "real world" testing, because I kind of suspect that their "2,000 hours" of testing was done under supervision of CB in familiar conditions with riders familiar to what the limits of the product are. Otherwise there wouldn't (hopefully) be this many issues.

mtbr member
    20 rides on mine with none of the problems described above. Had a little scare in Downieville this weekend as it was the first muddy conditions I've been in since it was installed. Was returning REAL slow by the end of my second day riding there. Thought that is had lost air pressure, but when I checked it was exactly were I had set it the week before. Put a little oil inside and cycled it through its travel quite a few times and now it is working just fine. Just a thought for those riding in constantly muddy conditions...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi all,

In the interests of intellectual honesty, I have to advise that CB have responded. Their approach has been one of getting this resolved and they have offered a repair/replacement at no cost to me. The have offrered to send me a UPS shipping label. Very good customer service!

Here's hoping the replacement product works as well as their customer service!

Dean
    Update:

CB have asked for the following:
    Serial Number
    Purchase Invoice
    Photograph of failure/problem.

I have since sent them the details, and I got a prompt reply from them stating that a replacement post has beens sent via USPS.

Absolute top marks for customer service!

Once received, I'll update this post to advise you of the status with the replacement unit.

Regards

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    they sent you a replacement post before receiving back your initial one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    they sent you a replacement post before receiving back your initial one?
    Hi darnelli,

Yep, that is what it seems. I quote from the mail sent by CB to me:

Dean, thanks for the updated information. We will be shipping the replacement USPS Express on 4-5-2012 and you should receive notification in your E-mail. Cheers, Tim

I suspect that a return waybill may be enclosed for the return of the post currently in my possession. In all truthfulness, I'm happy to send it back to them, as all I want is a working post. Once I have further info I'll update this thread.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi darnelli,

Yep, that is what it seems. I quote from the mail sent by CB to me:

Dean, thanks for the updated information. We will be shipping the replacement USPS Express on 4-5-2012 and you should receive notification in your E-mail. Cheers, Tim

I suspect that a return waybill may be enclosed for the return of the post currently in my possession. In all truthfulness, I'm happy to send it back to them, as all I want is a working post. Once I have further info I'll update this thread.

Dean
    Hi all,

Update: CB have shipped the replacement post to me. Once it has arrived I'll update this thread. The have admitted to an assembly issue. In their defence this can happen; what has been superb is the customer service, and the way they are handling my complaint in particular.

Dean

mtbr member
    The have admitted to an assembly issue. In their defence this can happen

Dean
    Let's hope that is the case since the Lev's are more expensive

mtbr member
    So far my replacement post continues to work fine after a dozen rides or so. Crossing my fingers...

mtbr member
    Did they make it clear to you what they changed design/material wise?
    I decided on a Gravity Dropper after seeing all the bad news all over the place.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    So far my replacement post continues to work fine after a dozen rides or so. Crossing my fingers...
    you mean besides the 2-3mm of sag that you previously reported? Mine is still sagging about the same amount, hasn't gotten worse, continues to perform as expected in every other way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Same here, no issues after they fixed it. I have 1-2mm of play, but I can live with it.

Cars Are Evil
    Do you think the replacement posts will have long-term wear from metal-on-metal grinding of the clamps?

mtbr member
    I almost bit again on the Crank Brothers Bait-n-Switch.

Onto a Reverb for me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Developed a little bit of sag

Bout 6 rides on my black 31.6 Krono. Today is the first time, it developed about 3mm sag from top position. A bit annoyed. Had to bring the post up a couple mm to compensate. I suppose from here it will get worse and slip more as time goes on.

Any word from CB whether these post have been redesigned yet?

mtbr member
    mine lasted about three rides and by the time it slipped an inch, I took it off the bike, cleaned it, and plan on taking it back for a refund. CB should actually test their product. That means giving them to riders, and letting them thrash the things for a while, and then fixing the problems that crop up before putting them into production.

A great looking seat post. too bad it doesn't work reliably.

Faster it.
    ...still going, no "sag", holds position, air pressure is still the same. The only "maintenance" I've done is to keep the stanchion clean in between rides (especially if there was mud or water involved in the previous ride) and I keep the mechanics under the plastic cap greased.

I honestly feel bad for those of you who bought one only to have problems with it - I've been reading all of the replies in this thread from the start. It does seem though that Kronolog seatpost owners are divided into 3 groups:

1. Those of who are having no problems whatsoever. Installed right, adjusted right, works right. Apparently we are the lucky ones (?)

2. Those who contacted CB about their problem, have gotten excellent customer service and a replacement post. Seems like everyone who's in category #2 ends up in category one simply by contacting CB about their problem and coming to a solution.

3. Those who have a problem, immediately denounce it altogether and just decide to return it for a different brand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ...still going, no "sag", holds position, air pressure is still the same. The only "maintenance" I've done is to keep the stanchion clean in between rides (especially if there was mud or water involved in the previous ride) and I keep the mechanics under the plastic cap greased.

I honestly feel bad for those of you who bought one only to have problems with it - I've been reading all of the replies in this thread from the start. It does seem though that Kronolog seatpost owners are divided into 3 groups:

1. Those of who are having no problems whatsoever. Installed right, adjusted right, works right. Apparently we are the lucky ones (?)

2. Those who contacted CB about their problem, have gotten excellent customer service and a replacement post. Seems like everyone who's in category #2 ends up in category one simply by contacting CB about their problem and coming to a solution.

3. Those who have a problem, immediately denounce it altogether and just decide to return it for a different brand.
    Good summary to 324 posts.

I was in category 2. Received great customer service from CB, and I'm enjoying my Krono on the trails now.

I strongly encourage those who are having issues to contact CB directly.

I now respectfully unsubscribe since I'm trying to find more time to get out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've been reading through this thread from the start. I got my Kronolog nearly 2 months ago. I haven't commented yet since then on how it has been performing for me. After reading all issues, I got worried that I might have a problem with mine. So far, the Kronolog is working well for me. I installed about half of the limiting spacer. I do notice that the post drops by 1-2mm under load but that's about it. I've used it heavily since then. But let's see, maybe it will jinx me and problems might appear after posting this. I do hope I will stay on category 1.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    Did they make it clear to you what they changed design/material wise?
    I decided on a Gravity Dropper after seeing all the bad news all over the place.
    I've had my GD around 3 yrs now. It still works great. I have replaced those slide keys. I have also replaced the cable a few times. It's ugly, but it works.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mine is functioning fine also, like previous poster it drops a very little bit (1 to 2mm) under load but stays fixed after that. I have it installed properly but will keep an eye on it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've used mine for about 15 hours of riding so far. I too have the 2-3 mm drop as soon as I get on it but it is consistent and doesn't bother me. I think it's a great post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have been using mine for about 3 weeks. I installed the spacer with about 5mm cut off of it. From day one mine will set about 1 hash mark down (I guess 1mm) when you sit on it. After that it is as steady as can be and works repeatedly. Over 30 miles on it and countless ups and downs and it functions every time. BTW, I though the 1mm drop was because I may have cut the limiter slightly off square (maybe not)

On the other hand, after recommending this post to a friend he bought one and his dropped about 20mm when he sat on it. I checked all the cable setup and everything is just like mine so its not the setup. The one major difference is I'm 150lbs and he is nearly 240lbs. We were wondering if it is more of a weight limit thing rather than defective product. We are riding this weekend and I asked him to bring it with him so I can sit on it and see if it sags under my weight.

Let's fly!
    I guess I did things a little out of order because I sent in my Joplin 3 and requested the trade-up program to the Kronolog before reading this thread. My move was based on the MBA article and 4 star rating.

I've had great experience with CrankBrothers on pedals and my Cobalt wheels. No issues with the Eggbeaters in the approx 7 years I've been running them on 4 different bikes. I multiple sets from multiple vintages including some 4Ti's and am very pleased. The Cobalts were light and reliable. I had no issues with the hub but read some posts here on mtbr and an article in a British mag that indicated there might be problems with the seals. I called CB and they sent new seals even though mine were functioning correctly.

I hope the new Kronolog serves me well. My Joplin was great except that every 6-9 months it would start to sag a little, then a little more, then a little more. A quick drain/replacement of the oil and re-pressurize would fix it, but even that small amount of maintenance got old. Plus, I like the new design -- cable not moving, locking for picking up as well as pushing down. I hope it is durable!
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    The one major difference is I'm 150lbs and he is nearly 240lbs. We were wondering if it is more of a weight limit thing rather than defective product. We are riding this weekend and I asked him to bring it with him so I can sit on it and see if it sags under my weight.
    Your friend might need a tad more air pressure inside the post

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your friend might need a tad more air pressure inside the post
    He has the air maxed out. Besides, the air pressure only changes the rate at which it returns and not whether it sags. There is a mechanical clamp inside that will lock it whether there is air in it or not.
    Last edited by Djg24; 06-21-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    He has the air maxed out. Besides, the air pressure only changes the rate at which it returns and not weather it sags. There is a mechanical clamp inside that will lock it whether there is air in it or not.
    HAH I read your post wrong

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi all,

Update: CB have shipped the replacement post to me. Once it has arrived I'll update this thread. The have admitted to an assembly issue. In their defence this can happen; what has been superb is the customer service, and the way they are handling my complaint in particular.

Dean
    Hi all,

Replacement post arrived today; no cost to me. Once I've ridden a few times with the new post I'll update this thread with feedback.

Regards

Dean

mtbr member
    I've had mine back from warranty for a while. It's still got the 2mm of play but works fine besides that. That play is still annoying though.

mtbr member
    I sent my Joplin 4 in to CB, they offered the upgrade to the Kronolog, so I made the switch.

I'll share my thoughts comparing the two after it arrives.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingp View Post
    What is your height? I have a kronolog coming by mail and I'm thinking ill need to install the spacer too. Im 5'6" and I have a 2012 trance, the thing with my frame is that i usually need to cut the seat post so i can adjust it to the heights i like. I have to do this because of the screw that holds the upper part of the rear triangle, it is very high and the post will not go all the way down.
    Did you istall the spacer? If so how does it work. I am 5'7" and my Kronolog tops out just a tad too high for my liking. The good thing about the Kronolog is that if it is too high, you can adjust it to the height you want. I'll probalby install the spacer this week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My kronolog started slipping an inch from full extension on the second ride. I followed setup proceedures of the post and remote and even had 3 to 4mm of play in the cable so not to engage and release the post. A CB rep looked at the post and said that now they are finding the cable needs 6mm of slack! 6mm! Setup of the remote specs called for only 2 to 3mm slack. CB will change out the sratched stanchon(caused from the slippage)set up the remote cable with 6mm slack and ship it back to me at no charge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this solves the problem. I like the post in every other aspect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rack clamping for the Krono

Is it OK to clamp the telescoping part of the post in a work stand? I have nowhere to clamp my bike now, but I dont want to wreck what is turning out apparently to be a pretty delicate piece of hardware.

what are you all doing clamp wise?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla View Post
    Is it OK to clamp the telescoping part of the post in a work stand? I have nowhere to clamp my bike now, but I dont want to wreck what is turning out apparently to be a pretty delicate piece of hardware.

I don't see why not. The seat post sanchion is being clampted into place by a piece of steel, so I can't imagine a plastic or padded clamp would damage it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla View Post

Why don't you ask Crank Brothers just to be sure. I would assume it's ok to clamp for the very reason Teamshort listed. But you want to make sure in case of some warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi all,

Replacement post arrived today; no cost to me. Once I've ridden a few times with the new post I'll update this thread with feedback.

Regards

Dean
    I've had 3 rides on the replacement post, and it works 100%. At the highest point the post drops abt 3mm and stays locked until the lever is activted. What I have noticed with the new post compared to the first post, is that the spring forcing the pipe-clamps apart is a lot stronger. Overall, the post is perfoming as expected.

Regards

Dean

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had 3 rides on the replacement post, and it works 100%. At the highest point the post drops abt 3mm and stays locked until the lever is activted. What I have noticed with the new post compared to the first post, is that the spring forcing the pipe-clamps apart is a lot stronger. Overall, the post is perfoming as expected.

Regards

Dean
    Did they set up the cable play from 2-3mm to 6mm? When you say the spring is stronger, do you mean the remote takes more effort to activate?

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting to get my post back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Abagaba View Post
    Did they set up the cable play from 2-3mm to 6mm? When you say the spring is stronger, do you mean the remote takes more effort to activate?

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting to get my post back.
    Hi Abagaba,

Yes, there is more slack on the lever (prob closer to 8mm) and the remote takes a decent push to activate. Without having measured the force required, it does feel greater; but not difficult.

Regards

Dean

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Krono Failure

2 month old Krono from Joplin exchange. About a month in it developed a 2mm slip from full height. Today I was riding lift assist trails at Big Bear and brought the post up to pedal a flat section. Top part of post came all the way out of the bottom and I couldnt get it back in. Ended my day.

What I noticed with the inner portion all the way removed it the focal wear at the bottom (see picture; its a bit hard to see). This is responsible for the 2mm slip/settling at the top extension. This obviously develops where the post is clamp 90% of the time. I suspect the post coming all the way out is the result of riding downhill trails for a few days and the inner portion which is screwed in was loosened up by rough trails.

Seems like a pretty shotty piece of hardware, I am going to replace it with a KS Lev.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-rsz_20120705_215926.jpg  

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-rsz_20120705_220004.jpg  

Last edited by mastakilla; 07-05-2012 at 10:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine completely failed on the 4th ride. I took it directly to crank bro's and they rebuilt it on the spot. They pointed out that the shop that set it up didn't leave any slack. I have 5 rides on the new post with no issues (fingers crossed). Crank Bro's customer service is outstanding and their location can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Horrible POS!! Kronolog was installed by my LBS and instantly started slipping.....LBS was awesome, switched to a Spesh Command Post and couldn't be happier!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I haven't read this thread yet but I still don't understand where this reputation comes from for broken pedals. I mean I understand that people obviously break them but I never have. I have one set that is 6 years old and still going strong and the other day while riding a demo bike with a much lower BB than I'm used to with my 2 year old CB EB pedals on it I hit rocks about 15 times during the ride. A couple of times hard enough to think 'that must have broken a pedal' and once so hard in a high speed rocky corner that it high sided me into space. I've never done that before. Except for a few scrapes and some deforming of the decorative plastic ring the pedals are just fine.

I'm talking about the stainless steel rather than the Ti pedals.
    Comes from...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    So glad I cut bait on this product and got my money back before it was too late. To any prospective buyers, I would warn you off the Kronolog. I had three of them. Two had slipping problems and one never got installed on my bike because the remote attachment wasn't the same as the first I got. (quality control!) So it got immediately returned.

Anyways, I hope things work out for those of you who still have this POS. I know how frustrating it was when I could not understand how something brand new was already failing within a couple rides. Crank Brothers is obviously lying their asses off and biding time until they can fix the problem on the fly.

I still don't understand why they did not design the thing with predetermined notches about 2mm apart up the entire post and spring load the clamp so it would automatically clamp in the next available notch when the remote was released? Then the wearing and smoothing on the mating surface wouldn't matter because the clamp would go into a predetermined notch. Oh well, that's Crank Bros for you. Good luck fellas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Marks on new post?

Quick question to those who've bought a Kronolog - did yours have marks on the "knurled section" out-of-the-box?

I ask because CB gave me the upgrade for a 4" Joplin, but it was immediately obvious that the Kronolog wouldn't fit my interrupted-seattube bike, the lower portion is too long. My fault, I should've researched/measured first, I know. I've never even fitted it to the bike, since it would've only given me about 1.5" of drop!

Anyway, I've sold the post on eBay, but the buyer is saying the post has been used because of these marks, and is demanding a refund because "the item is not as described" ie: he says it's used, despite it being brand-new

I've emailed CB today to get their opinion, but would be interested to hear from other Kronolog owners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyTee View Post
    Quick question to those who've bought a Kronolog - did yours have marks on the "knurled section" out-of-the-box?
    Yes, mine did. I actually called up the shop from which i purchased it to ask them if it was off a demo bike or something. They assured me that it was brand new out of the box - i have no reason to think they weren't being truthful.

I just sent my Kronolog back to CrankBros, hopefully they're going to replace it with a brand new one, which i will promptly sell cut price on ebay. This seat post is absolute junk, plain and simple.

I strongly advise anyone against this post. Get a reverb, a lev or a gravity dropper. I know that these other posts have had their fair share of issues also, but from day 1 my kronolog didn't work properly. As you can tell i'm pissed that crank brothers saw fit to release such a sub par product. I will never buy anything from them again - and i will do everything in my power to make sure none of my riding partners make the same mistake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_O View Post
    Yes, mine did.
    Thanks for the reply, Mr O. I've just received an email from eBay saying that the buyer has closed the case, so it's done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a handful of rides on mine and so far it works beautifully. There were a few slight marks on mine out of the box - I assumed that was due to it being cycled/tested a few times before it shipped. The post works really well though, so far. I have no slippage at all - but we'll see if it develops. Only time can tell, but so far it works beautifully and is very easy to deal with, unlike its predecessor. I should note that I installed it so my cable can move very freely (it is not ziptied tightly to anything, but ziptied loosely allowing movement) - I think when the cable is too tightly bound it causes people lots of problems. In fact, I'll bet people and bike shops are installing the cable like they'd install any cable - ziptying it tightly to the frame, which farks the whole sytem up according to CB's installation videos (and from what I've seen in person). Perhaps that's too finicky for many people and that's fine, but it works for me (so far). I haven't measured slack in the lever, but it's about a quarter of an inch and is completely unnoticable while riding. I know people have had some bad experiences, but mine so far has been great. I hope it stays that way. If it does, this is a winner in my opinion.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I've now had the misfortune of having one on a test bike

- post slips down about half an inch when sitting on it

- Needs fair amount of finger pressure to initiate the post

- Feels notchy and not smooth

- Returns abruptly.

Overall - it met expectations of being the oversold, overhyped piece of garbage that I expect from Crank Bros. Well done!
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Faster it.
    Going on 5 months with ZERO problems. Actually, one problem - the lever screw loosened just enough to allow it to rotate on the handlebar about 1/4". Just had to tighten the screw again and it's working perfectly. Other than that, the only maintenance I have had to do was wipe grease off of the seat post after a ride, and I've only had to make a small adjustment on the cable tension barrel ever since I first installed it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    I've now had the misfortune of having one on a test bike

- post slips down about half an inch when sitting on it

- Needs fair amount of finger pressure to initiate the post

- Feels notchy and not smooth

- Returns abruptly.

Overall - it met expectations of being the oversold, overhyped piece of garbage that I expect from Crank Bros. Well done!
    The bad - the post now slips not just half an inch but all the way down

The good - the stickers are flawless

I screwed the barrel adjuster in and out to get some more and less play in the cable but without success. Best of luck to all Crank Bros Kronolog owners. You will need it!
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Buyer Beware

So I'm back somewhere over the last 15 pages of post having recieved my 2nd Kronolog after the 1st one failed. Well today, 5 months after purchasing the 1st one the 2nd one has failde with NO warning. The 1st one lasted 1 month, so this one has lasted 4. Same problem with both. While sitting on the bike any little bump will initiate the post dropping and with each additional bump it goes farther faster.

1st question most will have is was it setup correctly? When I installed it I sent pictures to the tech at CB who I was dealing with and he said everything about my setup was perfect. So that's not an issue.

One thing I noticed today was that the barrel nut at the switch has backed out on its own creating more tension on the lever than it originally had. Again another design flaw in the system as far as I'm concerned. Every other tensioner I have on any bike I have at the house have notches that keep them from moving on their own. I would like to suggest anyone who still has a Kronolog and intends to keep it apply blue locktite to the threads to keep it from backing out. I can't think of any situation where you would want to tighten the cable. It always seems that the cable needs to be looser, to the point that it probably doesn't work like it should. I've also noticed that if you look under the cover at the post itself it looks like there is grey "grease" there. I believe that is the white lithium grease that's down it the tube and that it is grey from metal wear and shavings in the grease. Either the clamps or post are wearing, plus grease with metal fillings is nothing more than polishing compound. Not what I think needs to be there. Plus grease on the post has got to help it slide through the clamps. Again not what you want.

Thank goodness this thing didn't fail last weekend at the race I was in. But now I'm down for who knows how long until I get this one replaced. Even a week is really not acceptable. And I know I can go back to a regular post but I really rely on mine and don't see being able to get into the right postions for decents and will probably just wait. To give you an idea of how much it's been used the system I typically ride 2 -3 times a week is a little less than 1000 ft of climb from bottom to top but as you ride you actually climb and decend about 4000 ft over 9 miles for 1 loop. So I guess that just shows it gets used alot. And maybe many of you who are not having problems may not use yours as much on each ride.

For those of you who haven't had a failure yet based on my experience it's only a matter of time. This post is defective in design and IMO should not be sold by CB. This thread should be an indication of this.

Good luck to the rest of you.
    Last edited by trailjunkee; 09-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    When will people learn that CB gear is made of cheese

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    3 years on my gravity dropper. Cheaper, rebuildable, reliable. Butt ugly but it works. Keep it simple guys

mtbr member
    The Kronolog is about as simple as it gets really. I would argue that if they hadn't cheaped out on the production models it would work fine (Disclaimer: I own a Reverb v2).

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    The Kronolog is about as simple as it gets really. I would argue that if they hadn't cheaped out on the production models it would work fine (Disclaimer: I own a Reverb v2).

Really? As others have pointed out, the GD posts are reliable, work well, way more dependable, and stupid simple.

Way more so than the Kronolog with all its fiddly bits.

I say that as someone who really, really loves his two Reverbs and one GD Turbo model.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Really? As others have pointed out, the GD posts are reliable, work well, way more dependable, and stupid simple.

Way more so than the Kronolog with all its fiddly bits.

I say that as someone who really, really loves his two Reverbs and one GD Turbo model.
    Not saying it isn't! I really mean the idea behind it, especially in comparison to the hydraulic posts. A clamp straight onto the post is about as simple as you can get, though obviously they found ways to screw it up. The whole finicky installation thing was pretty silly.

I just get the impression that the reason the Kronolog failed is (mostly) because of low quality materials used in production versions, not because of a problem in the basic design.

mtbr member
    I've been reporting on my Krono's for some time here. Long time GD Turbo and pre Turbo owner. Both my wife and I broke early versions (broke as in snapped in half) however have had years of mostly trouble free operation especially with the Turbo versions. Most problems just required simple maintenance or cable replacement.

Decided to try the Krono. #1 wouldn't hold air. #2 slipped a bit, then a little more, then a little more, and yes it was installed to spec. #3 has been working for a couple months now including an extended Colorado trip. It slips a couple <2mm from full extension but is holding steady there. Have gotten used to the lever and action of the unit and love it. I get a full 5 inches of travel as the post height came out perfect for me. I love it, but do I trust it? Nope. A friend brought the new KS LEV on the Colorado trip. It failed initially, but appeared to be an installation issue. New cables fixed it up and it seemed to work fine.

My opinion of the Kronolog it that it wears out too fast.

At first it failed due to setup issues. This was my fault since I was screwing around with the barrel adjuster trying to improve the lever response. Well I hit a bump while seated and parts in the mechanism stripped out. CB was kind enough to replace the damaged parts and get it back to me. Moral of the story is leave enough cable slack.

I got it back and it worked well for 4 months, including the BC bike race where it was subjected to a lot of abuse. I must have hit this thing 50 times a day, and a few days were really wet and muddy. Also, I rode the bike it was on a lot in preparation for this event.

Eventually it developed around a 2mm drop when the saddle was weighted, it progressively got worse. I suspect it's the wear on the shaft that is causing this issue.

Overall I'm not impressed with the service life. If they could figure out how to keep these parts from wearing out then this post would be great.

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom) View Post
    My opinion of the Kronolog it that it wears out too fast.

Eventually it developed around a 2mm drop when the saddle was weighted, it progressively got worse. I suspect it's the wear on the shaft that is causing this issue.
    That's how much mine has (two lines on the metal strip) after about half a year's worth.It also shows quite a bit of wear on the rear metal strip.Other than that it's been perfect: works well and has negligible amount of play.The thing is, "symptoms" I mentioned above sound like things wearing out faster than they should in my oppinion, too.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    +1 Problematiks, same here. Still going strong after a half year use. No play. Yes some wear on the metal strip. Love the post, just needs some carefull installation. I never let it 'pop up' because i think that is what makes the strip wear out at the top end. I sit down and release the lever. Otherwise the airpressure will push the metal strip by the clamp causing wear. At this moment i have no excessive wear at the top part. Only a bit on the bottem (only noticable when the cap of the clamps is off) causing the post to sink a little 1-2mm after sitting down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    has anyone got a formal response regarding the failure rate of this post? i'm sure at this point they need to monitoring their warranty and have some sort of plan to get themselves out of this hole

any chance of some sort of repair/rework kit to make this thing better from CB?

i got upgraded at sea otter (traded up from joplin 4), and i actually like the joplin 4 more, there is just a tad of play in my post, just enough so that when i hit the lever after some decent climbing, it'll make a pop sound, but not much movement

mtbr member
    My Krono saga continues. Post #3 now slips 4 inches. I'm done with this failed product. Back to my Gravity Dropper or may try a KS Lev.

Betzel, the whole point of a dropper post is to get it where you need it fast. Having to sit down first to raise your post is a really really really bad design. The early Gravity Droppers had this fault and the later Turbo models were far more effective when hitting a sudden uphill and wanting that seat up right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ronski: agree with you, but I have gotten used to it and it seems to work. I will surely get a Thomson post once they hit the shops (March?) and check the wear on the Kronolog than. If the wear is excessive the post will send back than. I still have warranty so I don't worry too much.

lidless ascender
    One thing I really can't find a reasonable explanation for is the fact that given the (obviously) pretty high failure rate of these posts (you could say the same about CB pedals though) there are still bike companies that put these posts on their 2013 models.
    I mean, I understand price (and to some extent, bling) is a big component in making a decision which component goes on a bike.But surely it can't be a good thing for any given company if their customers return 30% of the same product under waranty, and 50% or more would probably be considered a catastrophe.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

mtbr member
    problematiks: good question. Any early adopters who OEM'd this post would be wise to get out fast. Unless Crank Brothers can fix this problem fast, which I doubt, their already shaky reputation is really headed downhill.

Faster it.
    So the two weeks ago my seatpost started slipping 2 inches from full height during a ride. Got home after and checked it out - turned out that there was grease from the mech that made it to the surface where the clamps touch, causing it to slip:

Cleaned it out with some degreaser, then a small blast of air, and last weekend it was back to 100%. Even the internal air pressure was steady at 80psi. So for me - still no problems, still no sagging after 7 months, still working perfectly.

@ronski - in regards to your "having to sit down first" comment, I've found that I occasionally do just that - mainly because after longer downhill sections with the seatpost down, when it's time to climb and I sit down (and thus feel that the seat is low) that's when I remember to raise the seat back up for the climb - so my butt is already on the seat before I raise it back up. Then again there are lots of times where I've ben standing on my pedals and I pop the seat back up on its own, and either way I haven't noticed any slip or excessive wear.

mtbr member
    Raine, that's good to hear yours is working out. I've switched to the KS Lev and so far so good. A friend has had a KS Lev since spring, with quite a few miles on it, and the inner cable just snapped. I don't think it's very user friendly to service the inner cable.

This last weekend I jumped on a high end bike fresh back from Outerbike with a Krono and rode the Lakes Basin. The Krono had the dreaded slip 3 or 4 mm thing happening.

Failures aside, I've been able to put some miles on both models. Here's a quick comparison: They both look nice and perform very well. The KS has a slicker lever as it optionally can attach to a lock on grip, by replacing one of the lock rings. Very cool. The KS also has a lower profile at the locking mechanism which means you have more seatpost free to be part of the range of motion. This may not matter for some, but could be vitally important to others. For example, I can run max 125mm Krono on my Large Mojo, but my wife's small Mojo can only fit a 100mm at best. For the KS, I could run a 150 or more, and she can run at least a 125.

The Krono has a slight notchy feel to it at the lever, and the KS is butter smooth. I also HATE the seat clamp on the Krono. In order to get it tight enough to not slip, it makes it impossible to adjust the tilt or fore aft position. In other words, once the bolt is released, the seat is frozen in place and has to be banged free, making small adjustments impossible. Arghhh!

The KS was easy to install, but I didn't like all the little bits like the tiny spring, plastic cable end etc. Not a huge deal but slightly bothersome.

That's it for now. Will update again if I have any additional info.

Faster it.
    Hey ronski,

I was thinking about trying the LEV on a new 29er build (variety, you know), but that plan went on the back burner so I guess I'll have to wait.

You are right about the profile at the locking mech - I had a Joplin 4 for a couple months before the Kronolog came out, and the Joplin gave a much lower saddle position, whereas the Kronolog sits higher. It was noticeable at first, but I got used to it.

And I agree, the lever is slightly notchy - but for me that's kind of an insurance that I won't accidentally drop the post if my finger touches it. My cousin has a Reverb and that switch is very smooth, but he has dropped the post on accident on occasion. LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have had my Kronolog 6 months now, used it a lot, muddy conditions as well. No slipping, nothing to complain, works like it should. Installed straight out of box, did not do any adjustments.
    Have to say that i was worried, no any previous CB stuff, i thought it is / was good brand, then I found this conversation here just before i received my Kronolog.

mtbr member
    Over 50,000 views on this thread. Bummer for CB...

Let's fly!
    I've had my Kronolog for about 4 months, used it pretty extensively including a week long trip ot Moab (Whole Enchilada - twice!), no problems. Notchy feel compared to my previous Joplin 3, but it doesn't bother me.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Second ride on my Kronolog and it's having issues fully extending! Very disappointed an I'm taking it back, hope I can exchange it for something better... Update, LBS wont let me exchange it because it's used, bummer. I called CB they said they would fix or replace it. I read more of this thread and saw that seat post collar and or air pressure can be the issue. Turned out to be air pressure, I added more and voila! It's working like a chard... For now...
    Last edited by Kayton; 10-29-2012 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    one of my LBS has a kronolog on a mondraker foxy xr demo bike. its only been ridden twice and already has to be lifted by hand to return to full extension .

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so it looks like CB redesigned the 'kronolog'

Super Bike: Chad Peterson

anyone have any info on this?

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    so it looks like CB redesigned the 'kronolog'

Super Bike: Chad Peterson

anyone have any info on this?
    Looks like it's just backwards, at least the bottom part

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The post is designed to push into the seat tube where the cable can be in front or back position.
    I had one of the older models which was crap. It would not hold its height after just a few rides. I have since received a replacement post and actuator which has a remote with an indicator that shows if the cable slack is correct or not. I always had plenty of slack on the cable to prevent the post height from slipping but CB stuck to their guns when it came to cable tension as the reason the post slipped.

The weather around here has turned ugly since I installed the replacement post, so I haven't had a chance to test it out. I'm not betting on it but I hope this post will work properly. I will keep you all informed of the results.
    You may want to check the CB website to see if they are talking about a redesign of the Kronolog. I know that CB had a rash of negitive comments and customer complaints over the Kronolog. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a damage control campaign going on about now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I email CB asking about upgrading joplin3 to kronolog. They email me the procedure, will cost me $175+s/h to get "new and improved kronolog".
    I would like to hear more about "new and improved" kronolog.
    Anyone has new version? Hows the performance?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bwahahahahaha. I'm so glad I get updates on this thread from time to time. It gives me so much to laugh at. Went to the CB website and the 1st thing you see is some positive review that Decline did a while back, blowing up how great this post is. Wonder if Decline went back and reevaluated this peice of junk like almost every other review I've seen. If I was CB I'd pull that craptackular post off anything that anyone in the public will see. It's also funny that CB is one of the few websites that doesn't have a forum or a customer comment area or anything like that. I really wanted my Kronolog to work, and I mean really. But after going through 2 in 3 months or so I'm so glad I was able to get rid of it. Love my Spec Blacklight. Works flawlessly every time. The only thing I don't like is that the cable does move but if I have to deal with that to have a seatpost that works everytime and doesn't cost a fortune I'll deal with it. CB good luck with the redesign if there really is one. Then again I doubt they'll redsign since it's alway customer error. I mean the general population just isn't smart enough to use their products. I'm so glad companies like Specialized makes products for dummies like me! Maybe if they redesign it I'll try another one...when it's been on the market for about 5 years.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Two weeks old, Won't hold it's position. I must have read the wrong reviews because I thought I did my research. Boy was I wrong! I got it out of the box, installed it and it worked great! It did not have enough air in it, so put about 90psi and it seemed to work great. While riding today I noticed it was slowly sliding down about an inch and would stay. Still goes up and down okay, but won't stay in the top position. So I cleaned it thinking I had put too much lube, but that did not change anything. I noticed some fine metal shavings with the grease that was appearing on the seatpost. I am so angry. Never owned anything made by Crank Brothers, and I don't think I would buy anything else.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I just picked up a new Kronolog and have noticed some changed that have been made the previous model. The trigger is different in that it has a little window in it with a little green marker that shows proper play in it. So after reading most of these comments last night, I almost took back the Kronolog to shop I got it from. After further inspection of the new post, I'm confident that i have the newest updated version. Only time time tell if the bugs have been worked out. I'll post a picture of the new level shortly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Could you take a pic of the clamp on the post? Isn't that also different to the old model? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you referring to where the cable is attached at the post under the cover? I'll take one when I get home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes please, thanks retrofred!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok so here are two shots

Lord of the Chain Rings
    So I called CB and explained to them my issue. They said I broke the seatpost by not having 2-3 mm of play in the lever. I didn't argue because he said it could also be their fault because it wasn't sent that way. Either way it had to go back.

So, I over-nighted it ($40) got an email back that the issues was "closed." I received a tracking number for UPS ground. I would hope they would send it back they way you sent to them because it was the longest 5 days of my life.

When I got it, I could tell they replaced the cable, and at least the upper post (the piece that drops) because mine was scraped from the post slipping. It felt really smooth and from the factory it now had 2-3 mm of play, as it should.

I rode it around yesterday in my neighborhood, but really won't know until I take it to the trail...if this thing will work, it will be the most awesome thing ever! I'm rooting for you Crank Bros! Hope you got it dialed in. If you do get this thing right, I think it will be the best one on the market because the cable does not move because it is attached at the bottom. Plus, I really don't want to have to sell this to some poor sap and buy a Thompson or Fox.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    FWIW I've been on mine for 2 months so far with no issues. I weight 145 or so, maybe that helps a bit. I am really enjoying it. My shop did the install, and when addressing my concerns the shop owner said he's only had one come back since they came out, and it was due to a faulty installation by the end user. Overall I've been very pleased with mine.

mtbr member
    Hey ronski,

I was thinking about trying the LEV on a new 29er build (variety, you know), but that plan went on the back burner so I guess I'll have to wait.

You are right about the profile at the locking mech - I had a Joplin 4 for a couple months before the Kronolog came out, and the Joplin gave a much lower saddle position, whereas the Kronolog sits higher. It was noticeable at first, but I got used to it.

And I agree, the lever is slightly notchy - but for me that's kind of an insurance that I won't accidentally drop the post if my finger touches it. My cousin has a Reverb and that switch is very smooth, but he has dropped the post on accident on occasion. LOL
    I returned my Kronolog and just recently purchased a KS LEV. A real nice piece of equipment! You can set it up so the base where the cord runs in at anyplace on the 360 degree axis. Back, front, either side. And this thing is really well made. I had the kronolog and immediately knew the difference as soon as I pulled the LEV out of the box. The remote is better than the Kronolog too. Very easy and smooth actuation and it would be very difficult to accidentally drop the post while riding.

In the interests of honesty, I have only had it on my bike for about a week, and the weather has not permitted me to take any long rides, but the couple times I have rode it, this thing is the real deal. The type of adjustable seatpost that I always read most MTBers writing that they want. Lastly, the double seat adjustment for the saddle is much better than the single adjustment screw on the Kronolog. Just like the adjustment screws on most of the most familiar stationary seatposts.

If you shop around, you can find the LEV between $325-375 so the difference in costs ends up not being too bad. Hopefully the costs will come down even more so I can get one for my other bike.

Good luck Kronolog owners...from a former kronolog owner!

Let's fly!
    I have an "original" Kronolog. Is there a difference between the actuator in the pictures above and the "original" Kronolog? The previous picture showed the green indicator for correct freeplay. Was that the only update? or is the actuator different? is the aluminum plate with the notches different?

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Seems that 2-3 mm of "play" or slack in the lever is CRUCIAL to these posts working right. I hope that is it..not sure why it matters so much, but if you set yours up that way - hopefully you will be golden. If not..it will be the DOSS or the Thompson...
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    they told me that in addition to the lever change, they had 'supplier issues' or 'tolerance issues', so the fix on the new components were 'tighter tolerancing' at the supplier to account for the sloppy post drop

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If anybody wants to take a gamble on the Kronolog, you can get both the 30.9mm and 31.6mm posts at Nashbar for $129.59 during their 12 Hour Sale. The post is already 46% off (for a price of $161.99 from the $299.99 retail), and code 38748 at checkout will get you another 20% off.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2