Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    What? I dont see a link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    anyone concerned about the cable moving or freeplay in the trigger might want to watch this:
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Setup - YouTube
    Haha, guess I was right then. Sounds like they shot themselves in the foot a bit by including such a short cable.

mtbr member
    I dont like the fact that the cables housing moves.

Anyone has installed this on a trance x?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I picked up mine two days ago. I walked into my LBS expecting to be on a waiting list to get one. They had one sitting in the display case and I walked out the door with a 10% discount. I installed it in just a few minutes and went for a short ride before I had to go to work. Most of you guys are saying that the cable was too short but I actually had to shorten mine after that first ride. I ride a large Rumblefish and it was just a smidge too long. It works great and is super smooth. I have no complaints. Yes the cable moves a tiny bit but is that really a huge deal for you guys? My only real complaint is how slow the rebound is. I would prefer if it just shoot up at full speed instead of slowing down for the last bit of travel. That is just personal preference though and not a big deal.

As long as you take the time and set it up correctly with a bit of play in the trigger like the instructions say you should have no problems. I haven't at least. Needless to say, I am a satisfied Kronolog user.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The cable was too long for my Mount Vision...

I used today and it works great, ofcourse i cannot say anything on durability now. The post seemed to drop a few mm and settle than (when in normal ride mode), i guess this has something to do with the used pressure in the post. The range is 50psi to 80psi. Since i am not that light i suppose i have to use 80psi, where i have put in 60psi only. So for my next ride i will add some air.

On the theme of adjustable seatposts i can say that i'm happy to have one now. So easy to use with remote. Just perfect! But like i said, that goes for all adjustable posts. Not only CB Kronolog.
    Last edited by Betzel; 04-16-2012 at 12:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've done three rides on mine now and here are my thoughts:
    1. Cable was too short for my Intense Tracer (large) so like others had to spend an extra $20 on cables (at my rip-off lbs)
    2. Installing the new cable is easy but I can see where people may be going wrong. At the lever if the cable isn't sitting right it'll grind and feel rough. Remove and refit and all is well.
    3. You have to cut the inner cable off just above where it is crimped. Failure to do so and the extra length will touch the top inside of the mechanism cover and prevent the mechanism from engaging the post so it will pop up and stay that way. Easy to remedy.
    4. ISSUE: the seat clamp has come loose twice per ride (3 rides). Even after removing the bolt and loctighting it - it still came loose yesterday. Cleaned the threads last night with isoprope and re-applied loctight so am hoping that does the trick but definitely not as secure as a two bolt (Thomson like) set-up.
    5. The action is smooth when sitting on the seat or applying some pressure to it. However, if the seat is down and there is no weight on it, it take more force on the lever to get the seat top pop up and doesn't feel smooth (at the lever that is). There is obviously a lot of tension on the mechanism which is ballanced somewhat when you're seated making release easier.

Overall the post is working well but if the seat keeps coming loose I'll be sending it back. The quality seem ok albeit slightly agricultural feeling when compared to a hydraulic post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I agree on your point 5, although i have no issue with it, but you need more force when you want the post to return to normal ride mode.

I have no issue on the saddle though. Bolted it down very thight. Did you use the 12nm as stated on the post? And did you use the plastic 'thing' in between the rails?

Supersonic Garfield
    If the plastic "thingy" wedged between the seat rails is not doing its job (compresses), the regular posts of CB ships with an aluminum version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes I used the plastic bridge. I don't have a torque wrench so I don't know how tight I made it but made it as tight as I thought I could without snapping the bolt. Will see if it stays tight on the next ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, i don't have a torque wrench also, at least not one that goes to 12nm. So i did it also by hand. 12nm is pretty tight if you use a small screwdriver. Maybe you just have a faulty bolt.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I picked up a 25in/lbs to 250in/lbs torque wrench from Sears for about $55 a few months ago and it has been one of the best bike tool investments I have made (repair stand is the top, by far). I used it to tighten the seat clamp bolt and have had no issues after multiple rides. I also use the torque wrench for disassembling and re-greasing my rear triangle. Love it.

On the Kronolog, after replacing the cable I am having far better performance. I did have an issue one time where I didn't fully engage the lever and the seat made a grinding noise as it lifted up. Won't be doing that again. Overall I am happy with it. I just wish they had included an unattached cable I could've cut to length myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That is a very good idea! So CB, if you are reading here: do not mount the cable and just deliver a long inner and outer cable with it.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    when is cannondale going to step up and make a dropper post using lefty tech/
    I like my seatpost, not on zee left side, and not on zee right side, but right een zee middle. Und I like zee rubber side down, but sometimes eet is all zee way around.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Fitted on a Giant Reign size M (23” TT) with original cable, no issues. If anything we could have cut it an inch shorter, but left it the way it is since everything was connected properly out of the box.

To get some slack on the cable near the post, we did not zip tie the last cable attachment point on the frame (the one that is closest to the seat tube). This gives the cable freedom to move up and down. Took 10 minutes to do.

Seat had to be tightened again with the plastic piece.
    It seems that the whole point of a stationary cable attachment is missed when the cable still moves and needs to be connected in a way that has slack. The plastic piece between the rails is lame.

Impression from one ride: Works great on the trail with no issues, other than sloppy feel on the level. No side to side movement, no violent ball busting extension. Goes up and down quickly but not scary quickly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have an 18.5 Remedy and ran it from left grip across front of bike and then along the underside of the top tube and up to the seat post. The original cable was about 2 inches too short.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Guys the trade-in program is true. Since I live local I was able to go right into CrankBrothers headquarters and pick up a new Kronolog in exchange for my old Joplin 4. The price was a measly $150 +tax. I even got to meet the designer of the product. Really cool company with great customer service

I just installed it on my Trek Remedy 8. Got it done fast without any hiccups. Just make sure to give it 2-3mm of slack on the actuator like the instructions say to prevent any unwanted deployment. So far so good just testing it around my driveway it's already miles better than the Joplin it just replaced. Buttery smooth.

Faster it.
    Picked mine up yesterday, looks really good up close. Went to install it and in out-of-the-box configuration it was about 1 inch too high. They do include a spacer to install to limit the fully extended length, but when it came time to install the spacer you need a special tool to disassemble the seat post! The tool is a Park Tool SPA-2 spanner, about $9 online so I ordered that as well, should arrive tomorrow. However I am a little disappointed that I already spent the $300 for the post and have to buy a separate tool just to take it apart for that spacer thing.

I think I'll email CB about the trade-in thing since I bought a Joplin 4 a couple months ago, make up some of that $$ back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerDad46 View Post
    Guys the trade-in program is true. Since I live local I was able to go right into CrankBrothers headquarters and pick up a new Kronolog in exchange for my old Joplin 4. The price was a measly $150 +tax. I even got to meet the designer of the product. Really cool company with great customer service

I just installed it on my Trek Remedy 8. Got it done fast without any hiccups. Just make sure to give it 2-3mm of slack on the actuator like the instructions say to prevent any unwanted deployment. So far so good just testing it around my driveway it's already miles better than the Joplin it just replaced. Buttery smooth.
    I'm tempted to do this... Think I'll be getting ahold of them today, and should have a Kronolog on the way shortly!

Cars Are Evil
    Anybody know when/where these will be available? I've seen a few people mention they've bought one but I haven't found one for sale yet.

Faster it.
    Got mine installed and did a test ride just to get the feel for it:

1. For my Pivot 5.7 the cable length was fine; I did end up swapping it out anyways with Jagwire to match my derailleur cable/brake hoses.

2. Like others mentioned above, cable installation needed a little tweaking. Since I was switching to Jagwire (thicker cable housing) the housing was tight inside the small plastic cable holder at the bottom of the post. Turns out that to get smooth actuation the cable housing MUST be able to slide through that plastic piece freely, or the bottom lever won't release from the post. All it took was a few seconds with a reamer to open the hole (again it's plastic so no problems with special tools) and the cable housing had ample room to slide.

3. I do suggest that before you tighten the cable set screw that you A. make sure the spring inside the trigger is flush but not compressed, and B. dial out the tension adjuster on the trigger about 3 1/2 turns before final assembly. That way you can fine tune the cable actuation once you lock the cable in place. I found that you have to get the cable tension in the right "sweet spot" and the post will move up and down easily with the trigger.

4. The saddle seems to be staying in place (unlike some complaints in this thread) but I'll reserve final comment until I get the bike on the trail. I did clean all of the surfaces (the side metal clamps, the bolt, the top of the seat post) with some isopropyl to remove any grease/oil, so maybe that helped.

5. On my bike with the seat post all the way inside the seat tube, the saddle was still about 15mm higher than I preferred. Installing the internal spacer is a little time-consuming, but not difficult as long as you have that Park Tool SPA-2 spanner wrench I mentioned in an earlier post. Getting the outside cap off was easy )make sure you compress the seat post to relieve tension); getting the inside cap off took some muscle and some faith since it's threadlocked, but once you break it loose the rest of the job is fine. Just make sure you have a lot of rags around - there's grease everywhere on this thing.

So far, I like it. I'm coming from a Joplin 4R which served me well, we'll see how the Kronolog holds up this weekend.

EDIT: added some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-mtbrpost1.jpg  

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-mtbrpost2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I got my first ride in today. I'm very happy I got this one. I've owned a Joplin, gravity dropper and last a ks 950r. This one is the best (at least initially). 0 play. It feels like a rigid post when locked. I'm running 80 psi and love the fast return. This post probably is no good for the short. I'm 6'3 on a large frame and only could lower it about an inch. It feels very smooth and precise. The locking mechanism works well. If this thing is durable it will be the one to get. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    anyone know if crank brothers will be at sea otter this weekend? I wonder if I could just bring my post with me and see if they can do anything there...wishful thinking

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Before I went out for my 3rd ride on the post yesterday I noticed a bit of play in the post. If I grab the front and back of my saddle and rock it back and for the post will move. It's only a small amount, not enough to notice, but I can post a video if anybody is wanting to see it. Also I am finding the return super slow but I haven't checked the psi since the first ride.

Also, I am noticing the cable starting to rub through the barrel adjuster on the remote. I have little flakes of aluminum on the bars like somebody else was saying. Not sure what to do about that. All in all though I am satisfied with this post so far.

mtbr member
    If any one is at Sea Otter, you can bring CB your old Joplin and walk away with a new Kronolog for just $150...Too bad im 6 hours south!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    anyone know if crank brothers will be at sea otter this weekend? I wonder if I could just bring my post with me and see if they can do anything there...wishful thinking
    That'd be helpful, and you could include the slow return action so we are all on the same page.
    Maybe a rep from Crank bros. will respond.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    I got my first ride in today. I'm very happy I got this one. I've owned a Joplin, gravity dropper and last a ks 950r. This one is the best (at least initially). 0 play. It feels like a rigid post when locked. I'm running 80 psi and love the fast return. This post probably is no good for the short. I'm 6'3 on a large frame and only could lower it about an inch. It feels very smooth and precise. The locking mechanism works well. If this thing is durable it will be the one to get. Time will tell.

Could you post a video of the posts return action?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I started out with ~85psi and a friend with a Reverb thought my return speed was comically fast. Today, I dropped it to 65psi and it slowed way down. It also feels like the lever needs less force to release the locking mechanism which is nice. Given the tiny amount of air they hold (barely a gnats fart of air was released) I imagine the pressure shoots way up when you drop the post (PV = nRT and what not) so I think I'm gonna stick with a lower pressure to not tax the seals too much.

65 is slower but not so slow that it's unusable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll take a video with my camera phone and upload it somewhere, post it here.

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    I started out with ~85psi and a friend with a Reverb thought my return speed was comically fast. Today, I dropped it to 65psi and it slowed way down. It also feels like the lever needs less force to release the locking mechanism which is nice. Given the tiny amount of air they hold (barely a gnats fart of air was released) I imagine the pressure shoots way up when you drop the post (PV = nRT and what not) so I think I'm gonna stick with a lower pressure to not tax the seals too much.

65 is slower but not so slow that it's unusable.
    Seems like 60-70 is the sweet spot for psi, after fine tuning I also have mine at 65psi; I went as ow as 55psi but it wasn't enough to push the seatpost all the way up (it would stop about 3/4" short of full extension) whereas anything above 75psi is dangerous to "the jewels".

It does say "50-100psi" on the post, I can't imagine who would do 100psi and still want kids in the future

Faster it.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oURZX9owO5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Movement - YouTube

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/40842783?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Here's a video (same video, two sources) I made showing the movement of the Kronolog at 85-psi, then at 65-psi. Note that the sound in the video isn't as loud as it seems; there's some echo from the garage, and my bike stand getting tapped by the rear axle. But it's not silent - you have to expect some sound when you hit the trigger because of how the Kronolog uses a two mechanical levers to hold the post. Doesn't bother me at all, in fact on the trails a couple days ago (test ride #1) I liked that I could hear the seat post levers release when I hit the trigger, giving me an audible indication that the seat post did move.
    Last edited by Raine; 04-23-2012 at 05:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    "Private Video" on the VIMEO link can't be watched. No, I don't have a VIMEO account.
    :: Titus FTM :: Santa Cruz TallboyC :: OnOne 456evo2 ::

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSuarez View Post
    "Private Video" on the VIMEO link can't be watched. No, I don't have a VIMEO account.
    Fixed that =)

mtbr member
    thanks raine, great vid, although you could change the caption to read 'at 85psi say goodbye to fathers day' ouch.

saw this vid come up after yours, a bit more kronolog:
    MVI_0359.MOV - YouTube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_UVJXzkgfG8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Faster it.
    thanks raine, great vid, although you could change the caption to read 'at 85psi say goodbye to fathers day' ouch.

saw this vid come up after yours, a bit more kronolog:
    Yeah I wasn't about to do a full-blown review on it, just showing the movement since that seems to be what most are looking for.

Hey how'd you get the video to show up in your post?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    Yeah I wasn't about to do a full-blown review on it, just showing the movement since that seems to be what most are looking for.

Hey how'd you get the video to show up in your post?
    your embed vids are showing in your post btw, sometimes you have to refresh when you post up a youtube clip to see it, I have no idea why.

Faster it.
    your embed vids are showing in your post btw, sometimes you have to refresh when you post up a youtube clip to see it, I have no idea why.
    Weird, now they're showing up. Go figure

Faster it.
    BTW if anyone is interested, I've got my Joplin 4R in the classifieds. I was going to do the trade-in program with CB but you have to buy your Kronolog there from them (I pre-ordered mine elsewhere) so I'm not eligible. But if you want to buy my old Joplin 4R and trade-it in yourself, I get rid of the old post, you get a new Kronolog and save about $15.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    was able to upgrade my post at sea otter from the Joplin, worked out nicely

unfortunately I didnt bring my bike so I set up myself and I'm on the verge of the post being a bit high, I'll probably need to throw 2-3mm spacer in there (cut down) but I don't have the spa-2 park tool

anyway to get this spacer installed without using a spa-2 or do I need to go out and buy this ten buck tool for a one time use? any standard house or bike tools able to do the job?

thanks in advance

Faster it.
    was able to upgrade my post at sea otter from the Joplin, worked out nicely

unfortunately I didnt bring my bike so I set up myself and I'm on the verge of the post being a bit high, I'll probably need to throw 2-3mm spacer in there (cut down) but I don't have the spa-2 park tool

anyway to get this spacer installed without using a spa-2 or do I need to go out and buy this ten buck tool for a one time use? any standard house or bike tools able to do the job?

thanks in advance
    As far as I have experienced there is no way to get the spacer inside without the SPA-2 or something similar that can grab the two pin holes perfectly. Anything loose will just slip out and/or mess up the holes. If you don't want to spring for the SPA-2, I guess you can visit your local bike shop... but for me I ended up opening the post a few times - once after initial install to put the 20mm spacer in, again after one ride to try an extra 20mm spacer, then a third time to get it just right with a 30mm (combined) spacer. that said, if 2-3mm bothers you, you might be better off spending the $10 so you can get the post height perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yea that's what i was thinking, where did you get the extra spacers? thanks for the help

Faster it.
    yea that's what i was thinking, where did you get the extra spacers? thanks for the help
    I just went to the local hardware store and found some rubber spacers that had the same inner diameter as the one included with the seat post. Make sure you find something with the exact inner diameter - I figured something too tight might cause resistance, while something too loose might move around and cause some noise. They had plastic spacers also, but I tried the rubber instead - 5mm above the Crank Brothers spacer and 5mm below... went with rubber to act like a "cushion" so when the post rose up to the top it wouldn't have that "slam" noise, and it actually works

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    I just went to the local hardware store and found some rubber spacers that had the same inner diameter as the one included with the seat post. Make sure you find something with the exact inner diameter - I figured something too tight might cause resistance, while something too loose might move around and cause some noise. They had plastic spacers also, but I tried the rubber instead - 5mm above the Crank Brothers spacer and 5mm below... went with rubber to act like a "cushion" so when the post rose up to the top it wouldn't have that "slam" noise, and it actually works
    What is your height? I have a kronolog coming by mail and I'm thinking ill need to install the spacer too. Im 5'6" and I have a 2012 trance, the thing with my frame is that i usually need to cut the seat post so i can adjust it to the heights i like. I have to do this because of the screw that holds the upper part of the rear triangle, it is very high and the post will not go all the way down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    cool, got a picture of what you used? i'll probably run by the hardware store today to pick some up, thanks for the help!

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingp View Post
    What is your height? I have a kronolog coming by mail and I'm thinking ill need to install the spacer too. Im 5'6" and I have a 2012 trance, the thing with my frame is that i usually need to cut the seat post so i can adjust it to the heights i like. I have to do this because of the screw that holds the upper part of the rear triangle, it is very high and the post will not go all the way down.
    I'm 5'9"-5'10" ... and there's no cutting on the Kronolog. You might have to go with the Giant Contact Switch instead, my brother also has a 2012 Trance X3 and he runs the Contact Switch with no fitment issues... not sure if the Kronolog will work for you, because when the saddle is at its lowest point it still sits about 2" above the seatpost clamp, due to the wedge mechanism being external.

mtbr member
    How much does it measure from the bottom to the mechanism?

Faster it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingp View Post
    How much does it measure from the bottom to the mechanism?
    Took some pics for ya, here's the specs:

With the saddle all the way down, the measurement from the centerbolt of the saddle mounting and the top of my seat post clamp (Crank Brothers Split QR) is 3.5" exact.

A closer look, adjusted in Photoshop because I have overhead lights and the saddle was casting a shadow - 3.5" exactly from center bolt to seat clamp.

Mech measurement from the seat post seal to the top of the seat post clamp = 2.5" exact. Coincidentally, you can see the red Park Tool SPA-2 spanner tool hanging on the shelf of my bike stand in the background.

Another side note: For those coming from a Joplin 4 (like me), switching to a Kronolog required changes. Where my Joplin seat post was raised up about 1.5" to get my saddle height right, the Kronolog is inserted all the way into the seat post tube AND I had to add a 30mm spacer inside the Kronolog to limit the height of the saddle at full extension so that it was in the same position as my saddle with the Joplin.

Also, the saddle mounting is not offset to the rear like on the Joplin; I previously had my saddle rails slid all the way forward with the Joplin; for the Kronolog to get the same fore/aft saddle position I had to slide the rails all the way forward.

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    I guess ill need to add the spacer too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    how to remove the metal insert? i've attached a picture of where i'm at right now (instruction step 6)

it doesn't specify using the red spanner, but i don't see how you can remove it without

i'm having a hard time with that tool getting grip and twisting it, it's slipping out and scratching the metal surface

anyone have tips? thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-photo-1.jpg  

Faster it.
    I see where you're at... the metal insert on your post is still a little sunken in - try this:

1. First of all, to make things easier zip-tie the lever arms closed (in the mechanism) so that you can slide the seat post open/closed at will.
    2. Thread the black outer cap onto the center "pole" (the blue part in step 4 on the instructions).
    3. Using the black cap as a handle, push it back towards the post housing - basically extending the seat post to full length. If there's resistance, tap the pin in the Schrader valve to release some air.
    4. with the seat post fully extended, SLOWLY pull on the black cap again to pull the internals out towards the bottom of the seat post.

If you get it just right the silver metal insert should be about 1/4" from the edge of the outer housing. That should give you ample room to get the SPA-2 flush with the silver metal insert for the best leverage. Then use the SPA-2 and twist the metal insert out just like with the black outer cap. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that the threadlock on the silver metal insert is pretty tight - it is! But it will loosen up with the right amount of leverage. Also it would help if you clamped the post on a bike stand so that you can apply the leverage perpendicular to the post, instead of trying to hold the post with one hand while trying to apply leverage to the SPA-2 with the other hand. (I used the bike stand method)

Although the instructions don't specifically show it, I think they assumed that since the face of the metal insert is the same as the black outer cap with the two spanner holes (step 6), that it's a given to use the SPA-2 tool... plus in step 8 they do show the spanner as required to re-tighten down the silver metal insert.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sweet thanks, that helped

the key was once i took the first cap off, i hit the lever again and pushed down some more (you'll think there isn't anymore to go but it'll move) and let go, that leaves the metal cap in the picture sitting pretty high for the tool, just as raine said

then i put a zip tie on the spa-2 (great suggestion), and put a pvc pipe on the end (2ft) to use as a torque bar, got it off decently easy after that

now to dial in what size spacer...

i went to the hardware store and bought some nylon bushings with a 0.3'' ID, i'll play around with different sizes that way

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast