Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Anyone got this already?

74 & 29 pilot
    Played with one today at the shop when the rep stopped by. Really nice and light. Action was smooth and the build seems solid. Can't wait to get one.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Faster it.
    The shop I ordered from called the other day and said that the shipment should arrive sometime within the next 10 days

mtbr member
    Subscribe...I'm interested in this post, sounds promising.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Here's our first-look review.

Crank Brothers Kronolog Seatpost Revealed | Mountain Bike Review

I'll update with video of all the internals and design stages.

fc

mtbr member
    My local shop is saying that their supplier won't have these until late summer.
    Anyone else had better luck?

mtbr member
    What are the advantages of this seatpost to regular ones? Does it act like a shock?

mtbr member
    It is adjustable on the fly, so you don't have to stop moving or get off the bike to put your seatpost down for downhill or up for climbs. The video francois posted above goes through it pretty well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    My local shop is saying that their supplier won't have these until late summer.
    Anyone else had better luck?
    My shop said their distributor will have them may 15th. Who knows?

mtbr member
    looks like it survived WC DH

"Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    looks like it survived WC DH

So it handles clamping the inner shaft? Most seatposts should however survice WC DH unless you crash

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Can you lift the bike by the seat with the post at ANY position? Everywhere seems to be saying that you can only do that at the lowest position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    So it handles clamping the inner shaft? Most seatposts should however survice WC DH unless you crash
    the Joplin would stop working without a crash
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Here's our first-look review.

Crank Brothers Kronolog Seatpost Revealed | Mountain Bike Review

I'll update with video of all the internals and design stages.

fc
    Thanks for the video! Yea, my Joplin4 on my NomadC has failed again! CB emailed me saying they will be offering a trade in value for the Krono... My only concern now is the mechanism not ollowing one to drop the seat all the way down as I like my seat really low! How tall is the mechanism? The collar on the Joplin is only about 3/4!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Thanks for the video! Yea, my Joplin4 on my NomadC has failed again! CB emailed me saying they will be offering a trade in value for the Krono... My only concern now is the mechanism not ollowing one to drop the seat all the way down as I like my seat really low! How tall is the mechanism? The collar on the Joplin is only about 3/4!
    Minimum exposed seatpost height is high at 5 inches + 2 inches to allow the rider to get the full 5 inches of adjustability. As a workaround, the max height of the post can be reduced with internal shims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I email crankbrothers about availability in So Cal and they said late March, early April.

g3h6o3
    They mentionened they are working on a 27.2 version but any words on 30.0???
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    They mentionened they are working on a 27.2 version but any words on 30.0???
    What frames have 30.0? This is highly off standard dimensions, but can be fixed using a shim

g3h6o3
    It's not that uncommon... Older Norcos & Transitions used it among others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does anyone know the minimum insertion length of the krnonlog, or rather what's is total usable height fully extended? If it's 100mm minimum insert that would leave about 305 left over to the seat rails at the longest safe height. Or is it less than that?

One of my KS posts with a 4" drop can extend about 241mm from the collar, while the other with 5" drop is 266mm, and I'm guessing KS's 6" drop then would go 292mm

If the krnonlog can go 305 that allow me a more of a range in frame sizes. I like a super high seat compared to the frame.

Also, I've never quite understood post lengths. When they say 405mm that doesn't mean it's 405mm plus the minimum insert right? It'd be much easier if they just listed posts with their total usable length. Unless I'm mistaken and that's what they already do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    Any online shops out there that have this available to order from? Or anyone know when its expected to be generally available?
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Height Seatpost - Pro Bike Supply
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any online shops out there that have this available to order from? Or anyone know when its expected to be generally available?

mtbr member
    Not til May 15 for this shop!

74 & 29 pilot
    Worst "company" that I've EVER had the pleasure to deal with. It's just a couple of guys with parts in their closets and no real phone # to get a hold of them on. They don't have in stock what they have on their website. They also sell on FleaBay and their reviews are awful.

Forewarned

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Yeah I was willing to give this post a try and still will but I needed to replace the KS I sold since I have a Moab trip planned for early May....couldnt wait. Got a spesh Blacklite.

mtbr member

Kronolog and KS Lev

I have a kronolog waiting for me at my LBS. It does look nice. I am also considering to wait for a KS Lev, which should be out in 2 weeks. The Lev will be over $400.00 if not $450.00 which is steep... Kronolog is for $300.00.
    But I do like the KS lever much more. It should be also a little bit lighter. Somewhere between 450g and 480g.
    Thomson will be coming with their seatpost as well. But it is going to be >600g...
    Hmm...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I have a kronolog waiting for me at my LBS.
    Who has these in stock?

I am Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I have a kronolog waiting for me at my LBS. It does look nice. I am also considering to wait for a KS Lev, which should be out in 2 weeks. The Lev will be over $400.00 if not $450.00 which is steep... Kronolog is for $300.00.
    But I do like the KS lever much more. It should be also a little bit lighter. Somewhere between 450g and 480g.
    Thomson will be coming with their seatpost as well. But it is going to be >600g...
    Hmm...
    KS drop seatpost - LEV - YouTube

mtbr member
    Need to replace the cable on your Kronolog already?

Pinkbike's got ya cover!

Tech Tuesday - Crankbrothers Kronolog Cable Replacement - Pinkbike.com
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    I just bought mine. Waiting for it to arrive now.

mtbr member
    I saw this seat post at a shop today, and the bridge between the seat rails is made of plastic. It seems like an independent part that you stick between the rails before you put the seat in the clamp.

Is this plastic just for holding things in the box, or is it actually used?
    Does it make sense to have plastic there under tight compression from the clamp bolt? Its tiny and thin.
    Do you need to move it every time you move the seat back and forward in the clamp, or is something holding it in place?

You can see the plastic part between the two red clamps in the photo. In person it looks skinny and fragile.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I believe you are mistaken on that piece being plastic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    I believe you are mistaken on that piece being plastic.
    So is there another metal piece in the box? I should have asked the guy in the shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have just mounted my Kronolog. The piece in between the saddlerails is plastic and yes you have to use it when mounting the saddle.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Still can't imagine it sealing as well as a simple round tube.
    +1
    why in the world couldn't they make it ROUND? I asure you that the edge is a high friction point that will cause more wear to the seal than if it would be round IMO
    So maybe we have another cool looking POS
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    LBS sold two and has already had trouble with both. Setup issues and issues with the mechanical system on the post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    LBS sold two and has already had trouble with both. Setup issues and issues with the mechanical system on the post.
    Please elaborate.

Yeah I was disappointed to find that part of the seat clamp was plastic, especially considering the price. That said, I have about 1/2 dozen rides on mine and it works well and hasn't broken. Set up was a no brainer, checked the air pressure and bolted it on.

mtbr member
    Wow, I sure hope mine doesn't give me any trouble. Still waiting for it to arrive at the bike shop so he can mail it to me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    They didn't say much. Just that there was trouble with the cable and setup one on and a separate issue with the actual mechanism on the second being very finicky. Hopefully they work great. I was hot to get one but didn't want to wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The cable-issue is very delicate indeed, you should not make any tight turns otherwise the post will keep dropping (the mechanical clamp will not return to it clamp position)...found that out yesterday when mounting my post (you can read this also in the manual). So i would say that is not a malfunction of the post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi - I picked up a Kronolog on Tuesday and had it installed within a few hours. A few points:

1) The cable length comes short. I have a Remedy 9 size 18.5" and I needed to replace the cable right away. I suggest you pick up a cable at the same time you pick up the Kronolog. That being said, install was easy.

2) The white area on the stanchion gets marked up by the clamping mechanism. Not a big deal, but why the heck did they paint it white??

3) The spring in the remote is a joke. They should have included a washer for it, as it starts to come through the hole. Also the spring scrapes against the inside of the trigger. This causes both noise and wear (I have flecks of aluminum on my handlebars now). Overall, I am not happy with the trigger design.

4) The biggest complaint I have is the design of the clamping mechanism. To activate the clamp, the cable pulls on one end of the clamp and the cable housing pushes upwards, squeezing the clamp together. This means that the cable housing moves everytime you use the seat post, several millimeters. The whole point of having the attachment point at the base of the seat was to get rid of cable movement! A few millimeters might not seem like a big deal, but it is enough to cause cable wear on my paint job. Additionally, because of using the cable housing as half of the actuation process, you are required to have a fair amount of play in the trigger. The Joplin's trigger felt far more responsive.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaylen View Post
    4) The biggest complaint I have is the design of the clamping mechanism. To activate the clamp, the cable pulls on one end of the clamp and the cable housing pushes upwards, squeezing the clamp together. This means that the cable housing moves everytime you use the seat post, several millimeters. The whole point of having the attachment point at the base of the seat was to get rid of cable movement! A few millimeters might not seem like a big deal, but it is enough to cause cable wear on my paint job. Additionally, because of using the cable housing as half of the actuation process, you are required to have a fair amount of play in the trigger. The Joplin's trigger felt far more responsive.
    This is very well explained in this setup video:

++ kronolog, eggbeaters, pumps, cranks, bottom brackets, multi tools : CrankBrothers ++

If this is the biggest concern about the post, I still think it's a winner. It's good to have some hands-on feedback from real users at last. Keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just installed mine. Got the spacer installed, it is taped to the instruction sheet. I even cabled up my KS remote, as I am used to the way it feels. The post is super smooth, and works without a hitch so far. If the seat clamp holds up, I think this post is going to be a winner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaylen View Post

3) The spring in the remote is a joke. They should have included a washer for it, as it starts to come through the hole. Also the spring scrapes against the inside of the trigger. This causes both noise and wear (I have flecks of aluminum on my handlebars now). Overall, I am not happy with the trigger design.

Would you foresee any issues with leaving the joplin (or in my case the maverick speed ball r) remote on there and using it? I would prefer to just keep mine as I'm used to using my pointer finger over the top of the trigger vs using my thumb.

mtbr member
    hmmm... was just on the brink of ordering one of these and now the first bad reports are coming in. I'm going to wait a bit. First review in the review section is real bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    hmmm... was just on the brink of ordering one of these and now the first bad reports are coming in. I'm going to wait a bit. First review in the review section is real bad.
    I'm kind of curious as to how much of that bad review IS actually poor installation. It seems to me that based on how the mechanism works it would be really easy to install it without enough slack in the cable, which would result in the mechanism continuously activating as the bike moves and the post randomly dropping. This is probably exacerbated by the apparently very short cable.

On the other hand it could be an actual problem, but based on how it works and the other positive reports, the above sounds a lot more likely. From what I hear from the local shops I don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on one for at least a month, so at least I can wait and let other people work out the kinks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    I just installed mine. Got the spacer installed, it is taped to the instruction sheet. I even cabled up my KS remote, as I am used to the way it feels. The post is super smooth, and works without a hitch so far. If the seat clamp holds up, I think this post is going to be a winner.
    So it works ok with the ks lever?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The KS remote works ok so far. It is a bit notchy on initial stroke, I think because the lever arm is shorter than the CB lever.
    I have it set up without the elbow, just a smooth curve of housing from the bar to the frame. I am using quality 4mm shift housing and a quality shift cable for actuation. I will report again after a couple of rides.

mtbr member
    anyone concerned about the cable moving or freeplay in the trigger might want to watch this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bcs7eh5lK-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crank Brothers Kronolog Setup - YouTube

edit: added link, don't know why the embed isn't showing up.

Last edited by markymark; 04-14-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast