mtbr member

Comfy rigid seatposts

I ride a steel rigid bike and a cyclocross bike, and sit bone pain never seems to let off after ten + years of riding, even with different shorts and all the saddles I have tried. I am not quite ready for a Thudbuster but I'd like to try something a little softer. I am using a Thomson Elite 31.6 zero offset now.

I am tempted to try titanium but holy fk, $250+ for a seatpost? That's half the cost of my frame for a pipe with a fancy bit welded on the end. There are some generic ti seatposts out there but I don't want to be the test subject on generic too-good-to-be true priced components. Any reasonably priced ti 31.6mm posts out there?

That leaves carbon. I have been a holdout on crabon fibre all these years and this seatpost issue might push me into the 21st century. I am willing to pay for something that works, but not dentist pricing. weight doesn't concern me much (my rigid singlespeed is over 27 pounds ... I think), and I am not a heavyweight.

Yes this topic has been discussed, but many of the seatposts that come up are no longer made. Looking for newer, relevant information.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Carbon is the way to go. It will take the edge off the bumps. At the risk of suggesting a post that is no longer made... it IS, however, still available if you look...

Race Face NEXT SL 2015... Jenson USA has them for $50! (and it looks like they still have some in 31.6)
    This is the 2015 model, not the current model.

I have them on every bike I can fit them into. Not only are they strong and light, they are soooo easy to adjust as the fore/aft and angle adjustments are totally independent. Makes set-up incredible fast... bolt it into place in the proper fore/aft and then adjust the angle to your liking, done... no more trial and error trying to keep everything from moving as you tighten it down with one bolt.

Race Face Next SL Seatpost 2015 | Jenson USA
    TTUB - Ventura County California

No good in rock gardens..
    I've got one of these in my ally hardtail. Went from 31.6 ally to 27mm steel.

Shimano Deore XT early black seatpost - 27.0mm

You can flex it a little just by leaning on the seat.
    Less isn't MOAR

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    Carbon is the way to go. It will take the edge off the bumps. At the risk of suggesting a post that is no longer made... it IS, however, still available if you look...

Race Face NEXT SL 2015... Jenson USA has them for $50! (and it looks like they still have some in 31.6)

I have them on every bike I can fit them into. Not only are they strong and light, they are soooo easy to adjust as the fore/aft and angle adjustments are totally independent. Makes set-up incredible fast... bolt it into place in the proper fore/aft and then adjust the angle to your liking, done... no more trial and error trying to keep everything from moving as you tighten it down with one bolt.

Damn, that's a good price! Too bad I just ordered a Whisky carbon post for slightly more ($95 minus 20% discount at WorldWide). I'll report back when I get a ride or two on it. It's also going on a Vassago, btw.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Out spokin'
    Kent Eriksen's Sweetpost is the comfiest rigid seatpost I know of.
    https://kenteriksen.com/seatposts/
    Yeah, not cheap.
    =sParty
    P.S. Use a sleeve to go to 30.9mm. The smaller diameter makes a big difference in the post's ability to bend. 27.2mm is ideal. Next best thing to suspension.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I just bought one of those old Raceface Next SL posts from Jenson. threw in some $4 grips so I could get free shipping. done.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I just bought one of those old Raceface Next SL posts from Jenson. threw in some $4 grips so I could get free shipping. done.
    Once you get it, let us know how it feels.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Hey, Mack.
    I've got an Easton E90 that I bought for one of my bikes. I sold the bike before installing the seatpost, so it's still sitting around here someplace in the original box. I'd let it go if I could recover some of the cost. If you need it for your bike, I can look for it tomorrow or Thursday.

Dave's not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post

Thank you for posting this! This has been by far my favorite style of seatpost and was saddened when Race Face discontinued them. Picked one up in the 31.6 x 400mm flavor.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

mtbr member
    Canyon and Ergon (maybe the same) make a split carbon post that's very effective at shock absorption...but it is pricey.
    Do the math.

Barely in control
    The FSA K force was allegedly a comfy post. I bought one and rode it for about a month then it started to crack. It WAS comfy. but know that since there is very little damping, any flex is going to come back at you, right up your butt!

More effective is to get larger tires at lower pressure.