mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Any reason to stay away from early gen Reverb posts?

Hi there everyone!

I'm trying to pick up a used Rockshox reverb post(can't swing a new one and the DNM has taken a crap). I'm finding different generations of the post, A# and B#. I can usually tell the difference between the two because the remote is all black with a spinning adjustment while the older ones seem to have a aluminum colored piece without an adjustment.

Which got me to thinking: What things would I be losing if I purchase an early gen Reverb post? Am I losing other options and refinements? Durability and reliability? Are there any fatal flaws for the earlies?

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

mtbr member
    I had a Gen 1 reverb. Failed on me 4-5 times in 3 months before I sent it back. I was given a Gen 2 by RockShox, which now at least lasts 6-8 months before blowing out.

I have 1 Gen 2 reverb sitting in my basement in pieces right now because I just don't feel like rebuilding it. I actually pulled pieces out of it, to rebuild the 2nd Gen 2 reverb currently in my Remedy. One of these days I'll get sick of watching paint dry, and I'll put this other one back together.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow, I had better performance out of my $130 DNM post. Kind of worrisome to hear about your experience with the model.

mtbr member
    My issues haven't even been with ONE Reverb, but the original Gen 1 I purchased, then the Gen 2 I was sent, AND the Gen 2 that came on my Remedy. So, all THREE Reverbs I've had.

I've got a Transfer in my other bike, and so far, it's been beautiful.
    Even below freezing, it returns smooth and easy, and quick. My Reverb, when near or below freezing, returns extremely slowly, and HAS been stuck down on me twice, requiring me to unhook the remote, and raise the post in the seat tube to complete the ride.

I'm also not a huge RockShox fan, so I am extremely critical of anything RockShox. (Don't care for the Pike either. Extremely poor damping adjustability, stiff feeling, and internal pressure issues. That said, my RS-1, I like. It doesn't handle big stuff well, but it's not supposed to. I really like it for the purpose I have it for)

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A1 and A2 do not have the gold lettering at the top of the post like the B1 has. The B1 has redesigned internals. If you go with an older version you will lose what SRAM says is enhanced durability and reliability and "Additional bushing overlap also improves performance over time".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    The B1 has redesigned internals.

Translation - we make a very expensive turkey the first time, and screwed it up the second time too. So, lets redesign it to "hopefully" make it better, and spout of on how the things that "should" have been done right on Gen 2 (or actually, in pre-production testing on Gen 1!) are groundbreaking!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    A1 and A2 do not have the gold lettering at the top of the post like the B1 has. The B1 has redesigned internals. If you go with an older version you will lose what SRAM says is enhanced durability and reliability and "Additional bushing overlap also improves performance over time".
    Would you happen to have an idea of when the B+ models started being sold? Would it be possible for a 2015 bike kitted with the post possibly have the later version?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Actually, we can retire this topic. The horror stories told on the review page scare me enough that I'll probably pick up another $100 disposable post.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to help!

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwim Dandy View Post
    Would you happen to have an idea of when the B+ models started being sold? Would it be possible for a 2015 bike kitted with the post possibly have the later version?
    Not the exact date, but I bought a bike around March of 2016 that cane with an A2. It went belly up after 3 months of use. They warrantied it and I eventually ended up with a B1 around July. When the Reverb works, it's great! I opted for a Transfer eventually.

since 4/10/2009
    I wouldn't buy a Reverb for any reason. Namely, I HATE the control interface.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My A2 Reverb post now has the B series internals.. didn't take long for it to go bad. I only got it overhauled when winter came in and I couldn't ride. Had about 2" of play in it by the time I got fixed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks very much for your help, everyone. I passed on the auctions and will probably purchase another DNM. The transfers look spectacular but the cheapest I can find an externally routed 31.6 is $270 and that doesn't come with a lever. If ever one comes up for sale used that meets my needed specs, I'll hop on it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwim Dandy View Post
    Thanks very much for your help, everyone. I passed on the auctions and will probably purchase another DNM. The transfers look spectacular but the cheapest I can find an externally routed 31.6 is $270 and that doesn't come with a lever. If ever one comes up for sale used that meets my needed specs, I'll hop on it

I think my internally routed Transfer was $260, last year. I forget where I got it though.

I do like it a lot. I have been tempted to sell my Reverb and get another Transfer.

mtbr member
    And I was just about to get a super deal on the latest Reverb. I think I may stick with spending more for less hassle.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org