Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post. Totally happy with mine!

I've been wanting to add a dropper post for the longest time, but I couldn't find one where people were ecstatic about theirs except for the Gravity one. However, I wanted mine to be internally routed/stealth, and I figured I'd keep waiting to see if KS would improve on their QC/Customer Service, fork out the cash for the Thomson Covert, or wait and see if Gravity would release a stealth option. Also looked into the Giant and Spesh posts, but they also had hit or miss reviews.

9point8 got astounding reviews on their first release, and then they came out with the Fall Line mechanical stealth dropper. They took the feedback from riders and implemented them into the Fall Line. I figured that's the closest I'll get to a gravity one, so I jumped on it.

First ride was today, and I have to say it's built beautifully. They put a lot of thought into the Quick Connect and seat clamp. It also performed wonderfully. Smooth up and down; didn't hurt my nuts and bolt; solid feedback on the switch (went with the thumb switch, but wondered if I should have done the lever instead); overall I'm extremely pleased with my patience and purchase.

$400 shipped to the US is a bit pricey (came in about 5 business days to MA), but if it keeps with 9point8's trend it'll be worth it over similarly priced posts (RS Reverb stealth, Thomson). Solid thumbs up from me.

Pivoteer
    Excellent, thanks for the write-up. I have had a Thomson which ended up being replaced several times under warranty, and now have a LEV which has worked very well. I do think the LEV seat clamp is a joke and is nothing but a pain to maintain to prevent it from making a ton of noise. I have been watching the Fall Line development since I first saw it last year. I hope it delivers on it's promise of simplicity and durability. I love the fact that it can be manually operated should it fail.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    this is actually reall nice, I think ill be picking one of these up
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Kinda scary to buy one that has just been released with no "long term" reviews, but I might just jump on it. Was planning to get a Thomson, but it sounds like even those aren't perfect (@ tiSS'er).

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Kinda scary to buy one that has just been released with no "long term" reviews, but I might just jump on it. Was planning to get a Thomson, but it sounds like even those aren't perfect (@ tiSS'er).
    I've had 7 Thomson posts replaced under warranty. True story. I wanted to love the post, because the post itself is excellent. The cartridge on the other hand....

The Fall Line has my attention. I have a LEV Integra that is working well, but my one complaint is the seat clamp. It's weak, and creaks constantly. The post hydraulics and action have been flawless though.

mtbr member
    Another happy owner of the fall line. If service is as easy as it seems when the time comes, I'll be 100% satisfied with the post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As much as I was afraid to drop $400 on a post from a new company, I'd have the same issue with a Reverb or Thomson or Fox after their warranties were up. Meanwhile, I believe 9point8 offer a 2 year warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I asked about user serviceability. Convo below:

Me:
    Hi,

I was wondering how user servicable is the Fall Line post? I love mine so far, but out of curiosity just wanted to know what can I do myself before claiming warranty service in the event of failure.

9point8
    Good question! We will be releasing some video's and instructions outlining rebuild procedures etc in the coming weeks/months. Basically you will be able to do just about everything, however, if something went wrong with the brake itself, it is not worth rebuilding it. It would be a purchased assembly item that you just thread on. The brakes should last a decade of normal wear and tear though! It is all done using standard bike tools. Wiper, seals, bushings etc. are all user accessible. A complete tear down, brake replacement wear item replacement and re-assembly would take a first timer 1-2 hrs depending on your mechanical experience and the tools you have available to you (well, it might take my wife 3 hrs!).
    Hope that answers your question.

Brad.
    So far, I'm super pleased with 9point8 as a company, and the Fall Line as a dropper post. This response was returned with 5 minutes of emailing them. At this point, if they keep up with the quality of service and support they'll be around for a long time. KS support sucks, and look how long they've lasted in the dropper game. 9point8 seems to be doing things right so far.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    This looks really interesting. Like a gravity dropper but without the weakness of the holes in the inner tube for the mechanical stops.

Anyone determine how the "brake" works? I guess the brake is an expansion of the inner tube to hold fast to the outer tube? Should be really reliable but heavier that hydraulic options.

I like the concept.

Bobo

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    This looks really interesting. Like a gravity dropper but without the weakness of the holes in the inner tube for the mechanical stops.

Anyone determine how the "brake" works? I guess the brake is an expansion of the inner tube to hold fast to the outer tube? Should be really reliable but heavier that hydraulic options.

I like the concept.

Bobo
    There is a separate brake element inside the expands against the inside of the upper tube. It is spring applied, and when the remote lever is pressed, it takes the spring force off the brake and allows the post to move.
    If you look at the weights on the web site, you will see is lighter than almost any other post in the market.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post

I like the concept.

Bobo
    Yep, that is why I am considering getting it before I have another hydraulic failure, which is bound to happen soon. According to 9Point8, the brake system is capable of holding up to 900lbs of pressure. If that is the case, then this could be a real winner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have the Reverb Stealth and my one main complaint is it has no offset! I've got my seat all the way back and I still find myself trying to slide back a little more. I've been watching this post and it may very well cause me to remove the Reverb and drop the cash on this....

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by JackP42 View Post
    There is a separate brake element inside the expands against the inside of the upper tube. It is spring applied, and when the remote lever is pressed, it takes the spring force off the brake and allows the post to move.
    If you look at the weights on the web site, you will see is lighter than almost any other post in the market.
    You are correct about the weights. I had 400g in my head for some reason.

It seems like a real winner. They have hit every feature in a stealth post. Hope it sells well.

Bobo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What about the return speed? is it adjustable? I like that you can tune it on the reverb. Recently got a Command post for my wife and find the return speed way to fast, even with low pressure. I'm on my third reverb now (warranty) and thinking of giving this one a try. Just don't want it to kick like the command post and some other posts do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not adjustable return speed. This is my first dropper, since I've been waiting patiently for a reliable one that's stealth and built nicely. That said, I have no issues with how fast/slow the post returns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drpheta View Post
    Not adjustable return speed. This is my first dropper, since I've been waiting patiently for a reliable one that's stealth and built nicely. That said, I have no issues with how fast/slow the post returns.
    Are you sure about that? I thought that you adjust the return speed with the pressure adjust? They have a "safe working range" of 20-40psi so I am curious what that does?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    any other rider posts or reviews? i'm close to pulling the trigger on one... thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've only had mine about a week and it's rained ever since......so no review yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yep, this will be my next post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just updating this thread. This post has been phenomenal throughout the summer so far. Smooth operating, solid, nothing loose. I have moved it from my Anthem to my 5010, and it's been stellar on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Got mine installed today. Only went for a short ride but happy with the quality so far. Will keep everyone posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post. Totally happy with mine!-img_20150801_161813.jpg  

9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post. Totally happy with mine!-img_20150801_161757.jpg  

9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post. Totally happy with mine!-img_20150801_161744.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Really interested in this dropper post. How does the thumb lever feel? Is it pretty easy to push? Anyone happen to have owned a Specialized Command Post previously and can compare the lever action?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just saw that the internals for this 9Point8 post will be the same as the new Race Face and Easton dropper posts. The Race Face will have a shifter-style lever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    9point8 has both style levers available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I went ahead and ordered the dropper after they responded to my e-mail within 5 minutes of me sending it. I like that it's totally user serviceable and they have all the parts available on their website. Will see how it compares to my command post blacklite

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey OP, its been a couple months since you posted - is the post still going strong with no issues? Their email correspondence is top notch, so seems like a solid bet... But of course, no long term review will make anyone a little uneasy.

mtbr member
    The thumb lever is pretty easy to push and can be mounted any way you want. I currently have it vertical (pic above) but am going to put it under the bar, sideways like a shift lever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by steve650b View Post
    The thumb lever is pretty easy to push and can be mounted any way you want. I currently have it vertical (pic above) but am going to put it under the bar, sideways like a shift lever.
    Does the cable pass through the trigger first then through the housing and out to the seat post? If so, I intend to use my KS southpaw trigger with this dropper

mtbr member
    Yes it goes through, similar to the southpaw

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I can report that this is the best drop post I've used by far. Very simple to set up super reliable so far and by far the best customer service of any post mfg.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzr View Post
    I can report that this is the best drop post I've used by far. Very simple to set up super reliable so far and by far the best customer service of any post mfg.

Too bad I own 2 KS Lev's (with creakly heads/clamps and no support)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Great to hear! Mine shipped on Monday! Praying that customs has mercy on me and I receive it by friday

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Great to hear! Mine shipped on Monday! Praying that customs has mercy on me and I receive it by friday
    Mine shipped last Friday(shipped same day I ordered!). Got to Chicago at 9pm last night...
    I'm hoping it'll get to me in California by Friday too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Mine shipped last Friday(shipped same day I ordered!). Got to Chicago at 9pm last night...
    I'm hoping it'll get to me in California by Friday too!
    Same time! 9pm yesterday in Chicago... I'm pretty sure that is the customs location

mtbr member
    any luck getting it cheaper due to the exchange rate?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    any luck getting it cheaper due to the exchange rate?
    I was curious after I made the purchase, the price was actually $379 USD... Not Canadian. I double checked my credit card statement

Anytime. Anywhere.
    $479 cdn.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    If it has been super reliable, what have you needed customer service for at this point? Am strongly considering this as my next post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just got mine a couple days ago, first dropper for me. My LBS used my desire for one to become a dealer here in NorCal and I'm the first guinea pig for them. They charged retail, $379,no extra shipping, installed it for free in my SC 5010 which I had just purchased from them. They we're very impressed by the ease of installation and the multi position thumb lever. First few rides have been great, really liking the lower COG and feeling much more confident on my descents.I'm a newbie to mountain biking so am happy with all the help I can get. I think it works great, just like it's supposed to. Time will tell how it holds up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by latif View Post
    Just got mine a couple days ago, first dropper for me. My LBS used my desire for one to become a dealer here in NorCal and I'm the first guinea pig for them. They charged retail, $379,no extra shipping, installed it for free in my SC 5010 which I had just purchased from them. They we're very impressed by the ease of installation and the multi position thumb lever. First few rides have been great, really liking the lower COG and feeling much more confident on my descents.I'm a newbie to mountain biking so am happy with all the help I can get. I think it works great, just like it's supposed to. Time will tell how it holds up.
    Which bike shop? I'm in the sf Bay Area. Just ordered one last Friday from them direct since I didn't think any local shop would have it in stock...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm in Arcata, Revolution bike repair. Quite a bit north of you. They didn't have it in stock as this was their first order. Don't know if they plan on stocking as it's a small shop.I'm curious what you have to pay for shipping from Canada.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    $28 bucks for shipping so still cheaper than paying CA sales tax. But if they had it in stock I wouldn't have mind paying a lil extra to get it same day. But yeah arcata is quit a ways north of me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Think your gonna like it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mine is out for delivery! I'll report back with initial impressions :-D

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mine is out for delivery! I'll report back with initial impressions :-D
    The race is on! Mine just changed to out for delivery too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    If it has been super reliable, what have you needed customer service for at this point? Am strongly considering this as my next post.
    I had questions on servicing the post (which will be necessary in the future) and ordering a 1x conversion piece for my lever. CS isn't always for problems, but general questions as well. The fact that they were very adamant about making sure I was happy and responded quickly and in detail meant a lot to me.

That's what pushed me towards 9point8. They had rave reviews of their first post, but before ordering the Fall Line I wanted to make sure I was buying the right product. I was sold on the mechanical aspect of it. I just needed to know how servicable, what size, how things work, etc. They were outstanding before purchase and after. They even shipped me my 1x conversion part free using Canada Post, since I wasn't in a rush and couldn't justify paying $8 for expedited postage. Awesome group of people, and awesome dropper by far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey OP, its been a couple months since you posted - is the post still going strong with no issues? Their email correspondence is top notch, so seems like a solid bet... But of course, no long term review will make anyone a little uneasy.
    I put the post through its paces this summer, and it's waaaaay better than I thought it would be. My friend bought a DNM, and while it works well you can see how much better the 9point8 is. No wobble, solid, smooth, and really well build. I haven't had to adjust it at all all summer, although I did swap frames. Switching the post from my old to new frame was super easy and setup was a snap.

I've seen so many KS and RockShox stories about needing to have them serviced, and this post has been solid all summer.

Also, RF/Easton have licensed 9poin8's mechanical droploc tech. I'd still buy the 9point8 over the RF/Easton versions, because the QC from 9point8 is spot on while RF/Easton has issues with their release versions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by drpheta View Post
    I put the post through its paces this summer, and it's waaaaay better than I thought it would be. My friend bought a DNM, and while it works well you can see how much better the 9point8 is. No wobble, solid, smooth, and really well build. I haven't had to adjust it at all all summer, although I did swap frames. Switching the post from my old to new frame was super easy and setup was a snap.

I've seen so many KS and RockShox stories about needing to have them serviced, and this post has been solid all summer.

Also, RF/Easton have licensed 9poin8's mechanical droploc tech. I'd still buy the 9point8 over the RF/Easton versions, because the QC from 9point8 is spot on while RF/Easton has issues with their release versions.
    Rad! Installing mine today as soon as it is delivered! The 9point8 seat clamp looks way better than RF/Eaton also!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Got my fall line installed!

Install went smoothly for the most part, I had to release some of the tension from the cable but it only took a second to do that... Just loosened the grub screws and pulled the tension back a few millimeters. The instructions recommend having the adjuster on the trigger all the way in so you can tighten the cable, but I'd actually suggest having the adjuster somewhere in the middle, its definitely possible to have the cable tension too tight.

The post connects and disconnects from the trigger mechanism super easily, so much so that I would say its very feasible to have one post for several bikes - that's a huge plus.

The trigger that comes with the fall line seems very well built and solid, however I went with the KS Southpaw because I already had one handy and I really love the position on the southpaw. Action with the fall line and the southpaw is great so if anyone is interested in doing the same, it works great!

I have a Lev Ti on my other bike so I can compare the 2 pretty well... I will say that as long as the Lev is operational, the action is definitely much smoother than the fall line... Coupled with the southpaw, the Lev has actual modulation where as the fall line is basically either shooting up or locked. The fall line definitely comes up faster than the Lev, but not so much that I am concerned about my precious bits!

The action on the Lev is better, no question, but that was to be expected with mechanical vs. hydraulic. My reason for going with the fall line was reliability, and I won't really be able to speak to that until I have used the dropper for a while...

One strange thing that I experienced... after completing the install I wiped the whole bike down with rubbing alcohol, including the dropper stanchion. Right after doing this, the dropper would no longer stay down... The issue only lasted for 20 minutes and so I am sure that it was due to the alcohol still being wet on the dropper internals, which is essentially a super tight brake from what I understand. There shouldn't be any issues with rain, however I would be careful with putting any sort of stanchion lube on there, could potentially destroy the internals. I am going to contact 9point8 and confirm with them whether to avoid any lubrication on the stanchion. It comes from the factory with the equivalent of slick honey by the looks of it, so not sure why that wouldn't affect the operation, kind of strange. Also possible that the internals need to bed in the same way that new brake pads do? Not sure, I am definitely going to discuss with them to be safe.

All in all I am super happy with the dropper! It looks way sleek and the seat clamp itself is the best out of any seat post I have ever used! Love how he for/aft and tilt adjustments are independent of eachother!

The little torque key that came with it is awesome, but they should have gone with 5mm hardware and a 5mm key, it would be way more functional for the rest of the bike if it were, I feel like most components use 5mm vs 4...

So far I am very happy with my purchase!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Update:
    First trail ride, absolutely love this thing! Return speed is perfect, felt extremely solid and no slipping. I'm thinking the weird slipping I was experiencing when I first installed was the internal brake bedding, similar to breaking in a new set of brake pads. Felt solid while riding and I don't foresee any issues. This is a very well thought out and crafted unit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Finally had time to install my fall line today. No time for trail ride yet but so far the post seems to work really good just riding around the neighborhood. Compared to my specialized command post black lite the lever feels harder to push but that might be due to the way the dropper is routed in my frame...the housing makes a somewhat sharp bend from the down tube to the seat tube so some of it might be due to that bend. As far as the post goes, everything feels solid, I can stop the post anywhere and there's no slippage or anything. Installation was pretty straight forward, I was able to use my jagwire mountain pro braided housing(4.5mm diameter) and also use mine modded shimano left shifter to activate the seat post. One thing that I noticed and thought was awesome was that the seat post is machined so that you can tighten the seat clamp a lil so the the seat post doesn't drop down but you can still adjust the seat to make sure it's pointed correctly easily. I think it's little details like this and the interchangeable offset head that will make this seat post stand out from the others in the market. Hopefully this post will be trouble free for me long term.

mtbr member
    being completely rebuildable is a really nice option. this is in my list of dropper post selection. of course long term reviews are nice (i guess this is pretty much premature).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No long term review on the dropper post yet since I've only had mine for about a month(and my riding has been way down lately).
    I have to say I'm totally happy with this post. Enough that I got another one to replace the Command Post IR on my other bike.
    Its really awesome having infinite position. I didn't know what I was missing out on(with the 3 fixed positions of the Command Post) until I got this post.
    The only real negative on this post so far is the force required to activate the post. It definitely takes quite a bit more force to activate. Still not 100% sure if this is due to the way the cable is routed in my frame or if its just the post. I'll know more when I get the 2nd post installed on my other bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No long term review on the dropper post yet since I've only had mine for about a month(and my riding has been way down lately).
    I have to say I'm totally happy with this post. Enough that I got another one to replace the Command Post IR on my other bike.
    Its really awesome having infinite position. I didn't know what I was missing out on(with the 3 fixed positions of the Command Post) until I got this post.
    The only real negative on this post so far is the force required to activate the post. It definitely takes quite a bit more force to activate. Still not 100% sure if this is due to the way the cable is routed in my frame or if its just the post. I'll know more when I get the 2nd post installed on my other bike.
    Either my thumb got stronger, or the trigger mechanism broke in, because I felt the same way when I first installed, but now after a month of regular riding, the tension is perfect - not hard at all to press. It's most likely the trigger breaking in. The whole post had a bit of break in period, the action was great right out of the box, but it's definitely gotten even better since. I'm confident that this will be my go-to dropper make/model from here on out! Aside from the dropper function, it has the most well thought out features I've seen in any dropper post - the seat clamp is flawless and I love the separate for/aft and and tilt adjustments. Also, the ribbed insertion portion of the post is very functional - no friction paste necessary!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Also, FWIW, I'm running this with the KS Southpaw trigger

mtbr member
    Just ordered mine! Working with my lbs to see if the product is worth becoming a local retail partner with! Can't wait to get it installed although I haven't had much problems with my reverb or the lev on my other bikes. What can I say I love trying new things.

Now for my new frame arrival is another story... I'll stay posted on my opinion. See what I did there?
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    +1 for the Fall Line...Great product, easy to install, laid back option is nice. The fit and finish is very good and the instructions were solid. I was able to install it and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. Awesome Customer service, very responsive. On a side note, does anyone use any stanchion lube on the post itself?

mtbr member
    Good question. Maybe 9point8 can chime in on this one. With my reverb and lev I used to dab on some fork oil along with my fork/shock stanchions... I'm not sure what the seals are comprised of but I can't imagine that being a bad thing? Then again I'm not too concerned cuz my post has about 200 lbs coming down on it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    +1 for the Fall Line...Great product, easy to install, laid back option is nice. The fit and finish is very good and the instructions were solid. I was able to install it and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. Awesome Customer service, very responsive. On a side note, does anyone use any stanchion lube on the post itself?

mtbr member
    is the hydraulic component rebuildable? are parts readily available in US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post

There is no hydraulic component... That's the beauty. The post is held in its position with a mechanical brake and is air sprung.

mtbr member
    From what I gather, the brake mechanism and the air chambers can be replaced by buying their parts but they don't expect that those two components to break down. No hydraulics!!!!!

Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    There is no hydraulic component... That's the beauty. The post is held in its position with a mechanical brake and is air sprung.
    sounds to me like a wear and tear component. are these the pointed keys with the spring?

Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea I spoke with them quite a bit about maintenance... They basically suggest re-lubing the collar seal once every year or 2 depending on how often you use it, otherwise, they expect the brake to last 10+ years

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    sounds to me like a wear and tear component. are these the pointed keys with the spring?

Sorry I don't understand your question, what are you referring to when you say "pointed keys with the spring?"

mtbr member
    I remember reading the brake mechanism is rated for 900 lbs or something crazy like that. Good to hear even less maintenance is required! I am really good at breaking things so I'm glad to hear something is up to the task!

Yea I spoke with them quite a bit about maintenance... They basically suggest re-lubing the collar seal once every year or 2 depending on how often you use it, otherwise, they expect the brake to last 10+ years

mtbr member
    Sorry I don't understand your question, what are you referring to when you say "pointed keys with the spring?"
    i think i was referring to guide bushes. im trying to look for internals of this post but can't find any
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    in Bellingham, Washington, United States - photo by mikekazimer - Pinkbike

i think i was referring to guide bushes. im trying to look for internals of this post but can't find any

mtbr member
    so how does it work?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Since I'm on my phone this is the best I can do... Pink bike article says:

The brake works via a spring loaded plunger that enters a fluid filled chamber, causing it to expand and lock in place against the inside of the post. Depressing the remote lever reduces the pressure, allowing the post to move freely. The remote lever is cable actuated as well, and can easily be removed by unscrewing it from the base of the post.

so how does it work?

mtbr member

so there's the hydraulic section of the kit. i'm still trying to get my head around how this particular piece works, but this is still a point of failure... the 9.8 site says it should go to the factory or partner (sounds like ks). point is, will 9.8 have a rebuild kit for this?

RS is plague with issues but it sells pretty much the internals readily unlike competitors.

i'm not in favor of any seatpost btw. im still an end user trying to find the best $ can buy.

modesty aside, i can build/repair all parts of a bike that's why serviceability and parts availability is one aspect I'm also looking at
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Where are you guys reading that there is hydraulics involved at all? It is not a hydraulic brake, it's a mechanical brake... The brake is activated by default and holds the post in position, then when the trigger is pulled the brake is released and the post is raised via a low pressure air spring. I'm not seeing where hydraulics would be involved. The whole idea is that it's 100% mechanical and so it's much more reliable than the competition - unless I'm missing something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The bold below is what people are considering (from the PB article):

"The brake works via a spring loaded plunger that enters a fluid filled chamber, causing it to expand and lock in place against the inside of the post."

Yes, it contains fluid, but it is not really the same idea as the other true hydraulic posts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    To help clarify the internal workings of the Fall Line, here are some details:
    • The return action to raise the post is by air, which nominally is only 25 psi. The speed of return can be controlled by fine tuning the air pressure plus the quality of motion is controlled by bleeding air past the close fitting brake and air cushioning at the end of stroke.
    • The post is held in position by friction between the brake and in the inside of the upper tube. Capacity of the brake is minimum 600 lbf when new, and like the brakes on your bike, once it beds in over use it increases significantly, frequently above 1000 lbf. This capacity if both pushing down on the saddle as well as lifting up. Lifting the bike by the saddle with the post dropped in not a concern, nor is shipping with the post in any position.
    • The brake is energized by an internal spring which is released when you pull/push on the handlebar mounted lever. The spring pressurizes a very compact hydraulic system which is very much the same as the brakes on your bike. Hydraulic fluid in this is less than 5ml.
    • Lab and real word riding tests have shown this brake to be very robust typically requiring no maintenance.
    • Routine preventative maintenance should only need to address re-lubing the main seal on approximately a yearly basis depending on conditions, and lubing the keys and bushing inside on a less frequent basis. The main seal can be relubed by venting air pressure and unthreading the seal holder. The remainder requires disassembly of the post. The grease we offer is specially formulated to provide long service life as well good operation from -35C to +50C. Tests have not been done with the large variety of greases and stantion lubes etc on the market. We would expect most of them to not provide the service life and consistency, but would not anticipate any of these to be harmful, but as they have not been tested, we cannot provide a recommendation.
    • All maintenance parts are available from the web site, and if you feel you need a part that is not listed or need assistance, contact customer service they can get you any parts you need and help resolve any questions you have. Service video’s of the post should be up shortly. The brake itself is not a serviceable component but is available as a replaceable part, though from our testing we would not expect the need to replace it through the life of the post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh i see, you know when I read that in the pinkbike article, I thought this was an error. I just emailed 9point8 to clear this up - it took all of 20 minutes to get a thoughtful reply back:

"The quote from the Pinkbike article is correct. Overall, we tend to view the function of the Fall Line as primarily mechanical in that unlike most designs, the position of the post is NOT achieved by moving a volume of oil from one chamber to another using a valve. It is very much like a conventional hydraulic brake in concept, though it is spring applied, and the fluid volume is very small. Whether you want to call that mechanical or hydraulic is starting to get into semantics - our intent is not to mislead anyone, but to distinguish the function of Fall Line from other posts. The brake mechanism used in Fall Line is light-weight, simple, and easily scaled for different strokes. At the same time, it is low maintenance, low wear, and holds 600-1000 lb in both directions. Let me know if you have any further questions!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Oh i see, you know when I read that in the pinkbike article, I thought this was an error. I just emailed 9point8 to clear this up - it took all of 20 minutes to get a thoughtful reply back:

"The quote from the Pinkbike article is correct. Overall, we tend to view the function of the Fall Line as primarily mechanical in that unlike most designs, the position of the post is NOT achieved by moving a volume of oil from one chamber to another using a valve. It is very much like a conventional hydraulic brake in concept, though it is spring applied, and the fluid volume is very small. Whether you want to call that mechanical or hydraulic is starting to get into semantics - our intent is not to mislead anyone, but to distinguish the function of Fall Line from other posts. The brake mechanism used in Fall Line is light-weight, simple, and easily scaled for different strokes. At the same time, it is low maintenance, low wear, and holds 600-1000 lb in both directions. Let me know if you have any further questions!"
    hm, that's interesting. So what happens if hydraulic fluid was to leak out somehow? Would the brake still hold in the last position and you just wouldn't be able to change position or would it become a pogo stick? If the post can maintain position without the hydraulic fluid then I think you can call it a mechanical post. Otherwise if it needs hydraulic fluid to activate the brake, then I think its still a hydraulic post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    hm, that's interesting. So what happens if hydraulic fluid was to leak out somehow? Would the brake still hold in the last position and you just wouldn't be able to change position or would it become a pogo stick? If the post can maintain position without the hydraulic fluid then I think you can call it a mechanical post. Otherwise if it needs hydraulic fluid to activate the brake, then I think its still a hydraulic post.
    If the hydraulics in that brake fail, then the post will fail... I agree, it relies on hydraulics so I'm not sure it should be called a mechanical post. I do think that those hydraulics have WAY less stress on them then there would be with a traditional hydraulic post. On a lev, reverb, Thompson, etc... The riders weight it being suspended by the hydraulics and so the riders weight is placing a great deal of stress on the hydraulic seals. With this, it's just the brake actuation that is hydraulic, but the brake itself is what's holding the weight, so there must be much less stress on any hydraulic seals.
    I'm a little bummed to hear that there is a potential failure point, but the risk sounds very low and also that brake shouldn't really need maintenance from what I understand

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Correct SB666.

Reverb etc. are using a piston and orifice directly with the hydraulic fluid to suspend the rider weight. We know this has legitimate issues for some models and users.

The Fall Line uses a mechanical brake/shoe/pad to suspend the rider weight. Yes, there is a hydraulic component applying pressure as a link in that physical chain. But it is not the same as the other designs above.

I would hope for similar reliability here just as we get from a hydraulic wheel brake system. Any mechanical assembly like this can fail, but I think this design avoids a known problem in a very interesting way.

I have a Reverb stock on my new Fuel EX. I plan to run it for now since it came with the bike. But if I experience any issues, I will warranty it, sell it and replace with the Fall Line. It has lots of great features and seems like a well thought out product.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm not upset in anyway to realize that there is hydraulics involved. I'm just going to have to stop describing it to people as a pure mechanical dropper post.

In the end, I want a trouble free dropper post that I can just slap on my bike and not have to worry about whether its going to fail. So far so good but only time will tell.

mtbr member
    i hope 9.8 will release a vid on how these all go together internally for fall line and pulse.

should brake dust be considered an issue here? over time it will build up in the 'upper tube' and potentially ruin any seal inside.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i hope 9.8 will release a vid on how these all go together internally for fall line and pulse.

should brake dust be considered an issue here? over time it will build up in the 'upper tube' and potentially ruin any seal inside.
    I don't think brake dust will be an issue. The braking will be instant, not like wheel/rotational braking where it is stopping an object with momentum and more gradual. With the seat post brake is not dealing with all that much force (rider weight) so there won't be slipping and therefor brake dust should be nearly non-existent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The 900+lb holding force sounds large, but keep in mind the dynamic forces involved in riding. If a 200lb rider hits a hard bump in the saddle, that can equal double the 200lbs of force or be even more. It all depends on the severity of the impact. The only problem could be that the brake could slip from the desired position to one a bit slower upon impact. It could be easily reset by standing and hitting the lever.

The worst case I can imagine is a slight slip on successive bumps resulting in a lower saddle height that is not desired at that time. And if the rider doesn't notice it quickly since it could be gradual, they might be in a lower than optimal position. SeemS pretty unlikely to be an issue though since it sounds like they have done some solid testing at large cycle numbers.

All that said, I think the holding force is probably sufficient for most riders and situations. But you want to realize the actual forces can be much higher than the simple rider weight.
    Last edited by Chader09; 09-28-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    So as of now, no failures? I am really intrigued by this post. I rode on one today, around the parking lot at Wrench Science. The post works great. It seems to raise slower than my Thomson Dropper, every post is slower than my Gravity Dropper (God, the boot is ugly!). I will sell my Thomson to buy a 9 point 8. This is the post Gravity Dropper should have been working on, as all of the hydraulic posts fail. Please keep reviews coming, and thanks to everyone above.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    4 months on mine now, completely solid and reliable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've got 5 months on mine without a hiccup. If anyone wants to read more about the post,Pinkbike did a real good review of the post this week on their site. It's worth reading as to better understand the internals if anything else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    3 months on mine and no problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Does the fall line only work with internal routing? This looks like the best dropper out there. But one of the bikes I am considering building doesn't have internal routing

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    Does the fall line only work with internal routing? This looks like the best dropper out there. But one of the bikes I am considering building doesn't have internal routing
    For now, it is internal only unfortunately...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    2 months on mine and very happy. Came off a regular Reverb which was great for the first year and a half and then 9 failures (same o-ring each time) over the next 2 and a half year.
    Followed the reverb with a stealth reverb which was fine but a general mess to install.

Bought the 9point8 and wish I would have bought it at the beginning of the season.

I find the trigger to be stiff and somewhat hard to depress but I am also running it on '12 Mojo HD and have the cable going into the seattube through the bolt hole for the FD and it has to take two sharp bends to get in there. I suspect that is causing the stiffness issue.

I really like the adjustability of the trigger, being able to mount it wherever I like. Very slick.

It is expensive but if the reliability is what I hope it to be, it is well worth it.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Mine has been on for a few months as well. 30.9 x 150mm. I had a Lev Integra. The seat clamps creaked endlessly, no matter what I tried to alleviate it. Putting that thing back together was troubling as well. I will say that KS USA was great for customer service despite what I had read elsewhere. No problems whatsoever with the 9.8. I sold the Lev so only had to come up with 1/2 the msrp. Why anyone would by the RF/Easton for 100$ more is beyond me. I like supporting the little guy.

There was a Pinkbike write up where the author's singular complaint was the difficulty of install. I'm borderline special needs when it comes to installing things and this thing was pretty easy. Followed the very detailed instructions and its cake. I like the fact that if I ever buy another bike, I can just buy a cable and remote and be good to go.

Very quality product and definately worth the price difference

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Has anyone experienced a customs charge/cost when ordering and having shipped to the US? just curious, as I've had this happen in the past ordering from Canada, this was quite a few years ago..

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    Can always drill the seat tube to accept internal routing

I've got mine and am currently installing it on a new build.

Very impressed with the quality of the post. Wish I had bought the clamp that allows the lever to essentially be in the same place as the shifter. I didn't research that enough before I bought it.

The seat rails clamp is brilliant. Coming from a KS Lev, I'm looking forward to a solid/creak free seat clamp.

BTW: Dan with 9point8 has been awesome. Good responses to emails and very easy to work with

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    Has anyone experienced a customs charge/cost when ordering and having shipped to the US? just curious, as I've had this happen in the past ordering from Canada, this was quite a few years ago..
    Nope. Post arrived without any additional customs charge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Can always drill the seat tube to accept internal routing

I've got mine and am currently installing it on a new build.

Very impressed with the quality of the post. Wish I had bought the clamp that allows the lever to essentially be in the same place as the shifter. I didn't research that enough before I bought it.

The seat rails clamp is brilliant. Coming from a KS Lev, I'm looking forward to a solid/creak free seat clamp.

BTW: Dan with 9point8 has been awesome. Good responses to emails and very easy to work with
    Are you running 1x?
    Do you have a spare shimano 2/3 speed shifter? I modded the left 2/3 speed shifter to activate my dropper. Works so far on the 9point8 and specialized command post. I have a ks lev coming so hopefully works with that too. Basically the mod uses the 2/3 speed selector pin to move the pawl that engages the gear selection out of the way so the lower lever can move through its entire range of motion and back without getting stuck in the middle. It's not permanent so the shifter can be put back to the way it was.
    Probably quite a bit heavier than the levers dedicated to the dropper but much smoother action and better weather proofing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    2 months on mine and very happy. Came off a regular Reverb which was great for the first year and a half and then 9 failures (same o-ring each time) over the next 2 and a half year.
    Followed the reverb with a stealth reverb which was fine but a general mess to install.

Bought the 9point8 and wish I would have bought it at the beginning of the season.

I find the trigger to be stiff and somewhat hard to depress but I am also running it on '12 Mojo HD and have the cable going into the seattube through the bolt hole for the FD and it has to take two sharp bends to get in there. I suspect that is causing the stiffness issue.

I really like the adjustability of the trigger, being able to mount it wherever I like. Very slick.

It is expensive but if the reliability is what I hope it to be, it is well worth it.
    I was throwing around the idea of using the bolt hole to route the dropper cable for a frame that doesn't have internal routing. Did you have to enlarge the hole or anything?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    No customs charge

Rocks belong
    No customs charge
    ditto

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    ditto
    thanks all. Two of these are in my future, hopefully one being xmas gift for wife. I've had some email exchanges with 9point8 and customer support seems stellar.

mtbr member
    anyone know if 9.8 has fixed the wobble issue found by pinbike in the pulse?

anyone know if the ks lev remote (lock on grip) will work for 9.8?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    anyone know if 9.8 has fixed the wobble issue found by pinbike in the pulse?

anyone know if the ks lev remote (lock on grip) will work for 9.8?
    I am not sure what wobble issue you are referring to, but this is the most wobble free dropper I have ever tried. The design isn't really similar to the pulse, so I wouldn't expect any issues.

I am running mine with the KS South Paw, so yes the regular KS ODI locking trigger should work as well.

mtbr member
    I am not sure what wobble issue you are referring to, but this is the most wobble free dropper I have ever tried. The design isn't really similar to the pulse, so I wouldn't expect any issues.

I am running mine with the KS South Paw, so yes the regular KS ODI locking trigger should work as well.
    sorry bout the word wobble, but its 'creeping'

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/9Point8-P...view-2013.html
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast