Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post. Totally happy with mine!

165K views 1K replies 174 participants last post by  vikb 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to add a dropper post for the longest time, but I couldn't find one where people were ecstatic about theirs except for the Gravity one. However, I wanted mine to be internally routed/stealth, and I figured I'd keep waiting to see if KS would improve on their QC/Customer Service, fork out the cash for the Thomson Covert, or wait and see if Gravity would release a stealth option. Also looked into the Giant and Spesh posts, but they also had hit or miss reviews.

9point8 got astounding reviews on their first release, and then they came out with the Fall Line mechanical stealth dropper. They took the feedback from riders and implemented them into the Fall Line. I figured that's the closest I'll get to a gravity one, so I jumped on it.

First ride was today, and I have to say it's built beautifully. They put a lot of thought into the Quick Connect and seat clamp. It also performed wonderfully. Smooth up and down; didn't hurt my nuts and bolt; solid feedback on the switch (went with the thumb switch, but wondered if I should have done the lever instead); overall I'm extremely pleased with my patience and purchase.

$400 shipped to the US is a bit pricey (came in about 5 business days to MA), but if it keeps with 9point8's trend it'll be worth it over similarly priced posts (RS Reverb stealth, Thomson). Solid thumbs up from me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent, thanks for the write-up. I have had a Thomson which ended up being replaced several times under warranty, and now have a LEV which has worked very well. I do think the LEV seat clamp is a joke and is nothing but a pain to maintain to prevent it from making a ton of noise. I have been watching the Fall Line development since I first saw it last year. I hope it delivers on it's promise of simplicity and durability. I love the fact that it can be manually operated should it fail.

#5 ·
I've had 7 Thomson posts replaced under warranty. True story. I wanted to love the post, because the post itself is excellent. The cartridge on the other hand....

The Fall Line has my attention. I have a LEV Integra that is working well, but my one complaint is the seat clamp. It's weak, and creaks constantly. The post hydraulics and action have been flawless though.

#8 ·
I asked about user serviceability. Convo below:

Me:
Hi,

I was wondering how user servicable is the Fall Line post? I love mine so far, but out of curiosity just wanted to know what can I do myself before claiming warranty service in the event of failure.

9point8
Good question! We will be releasing some video's and instructions outlining rebuild procedures etc in the coming weeks/months. Basically you will be able to do just about everything, however, if something went wrong with the brake itself, it is not worth rebuilding it. It would be a purchased assembly item that you just thread on. The brakes should last a decade of normal wear and tear though! It is all done using standard bike tools. Wiper, seals, bushings etc. are all user accessible. A complete tear down, brake replacement wear item replacement and re-assembly would take a first timer 1-2 hrs depending on your mechanical experience and the tools you have available to you (well, it might take my wife 3 hrs!).
Hope that answers your question.

Brad.
So far, I'm super pleased with 9point8 as a company, and the Fall Line as a dropper post. This response was returned with 5 minutes of emailing them. At this point, if they keep up with the quality of service and support they'll be around for a long time. KS support sucks, and look how long they've lasted in the dropper game. 9point8 seems to be doing things right so far.

#9 ·
This looks really interesting. Like a gravity dropper but without the weakness of the holes in the inner tube for the mechanical stops.

Anyone determine how the "brake" works? I guess the brake is an expansion of the inner tube to hold fast to the outer tube? Should be really reliable but heavier that hydraulic options.

I like the concept.

Bobo

#10 ·
This looks really interesting. Like a gravity dropper but without the weakness of the holes in the inner tube for the mechanical stops.

Anyone determine how the "brake" works? I guess the brake is an expansion of the inner tube to hold fast to the outer tube? Should be really reliable but heavier that hydraulic options.

I like the concept.

Bobo
There is a separate brake element inside the expands against the inside of the upper tube. It is spring applied, and when the remote lever is pressed, it takes the spring force off the brake and allows the post to move.
If you look at the weights on the web site, you will see is lighter than almost any other post in the market.

#12 ·
I have the Reverb Stealth and my one main complaint is it has no offset! I've got my seat all the way back and I still find myself trying to slide back a little more. I've been watching this post and it may very well cause me to remove the Reverb and drop the cash on this....

#14 ·
What about the return speed? is it adjustable? I like that you can tune it on the reverb. Recently got a Command post for my wife and find the return speed way to fast, even with low pressure. I'm on my third reverb now (warranty) and thinking of giving this one a try. Just don't want it to kick like the command post and some other posts do.

#47 ·
I put the post through its paces this summer, and it's waaaaay better than I thought it would be. My friend bought a DNM, and while it works well you can see how much better the 9point8 is. No wobble, solid, smooth, and really well build. I haven't had to adjust it at all all summer, although I did swap frames. Switching the post from my old to new frame was super easy and setup was a snap.

I've seen so many KS and RockShox stories about needing to have them serviced, and this post has been solid all summer.

Also, RF/Easton have licensed 9poin8's mechanical droploc tech. I'd still buy the 9point8 over the RF/Easton versions, because the QC from 9point8 is spot on while RF/Easton has issues with their release versions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.