Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    change is good
    Sep 2004
    The shop recommended the Fox so that's what I got. Having an extra inch would be nice but the reviews for the Fox are highly favorable. I do admit that my bike has been on the back of cars, as high as 12k, <20 to 100 plus temps, snow and monsoons. At least three of my friends have gotten 9.8s upon my recommendation, but their posts haven't been stressed like my equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I finally bit the bullet and shipped mine back in for service. The post was no longer holding itself up, even with the cable disconnected from the bottom. I'm debating on selling it and buying a 2018 Fox Transfer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Try the BikeYoke Revive post. As smooth and effortless as a KS LEV with 1,000x more reliability. 10,000x better action than the 9P8. Seriously, last post you'll ever buy.

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Try the BikeYoke Revive post. As smooth and effortless as a KS LEV with 1,000x more reliability. 10,000x better action than the 9P8. Seriously, last post you'll ever buy.
    Pretty bold statement regarding reliability considering the post is less than a season old. I feel we have lowered this bar a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-XC View Post
    I finally bit the bullet and shipped mine back in for service. The post was no longer holding itself up, even with the cable disconnected from the bottom. I'm debating on selling it and buying a 2018 Fox Transfer.
    The Fall Line has an issue with moisture getting into the brake compartment, which reduces the brake effectiveness. Varying dew points seem to accelerate this issue. Post #688 in this thread can have your brake holding like new again. Watch the 9point8 video on adding spacers. Once the lock ring is released from the bottom of the post, the brake assembly can be yanked right out. You want to be sure brake and surface is cleaned and very dry before reassembly.
    It's difficult to tell, but I assume the contamination is from moisture in the air of the shock pump (air dryer? nitrogen?). It does seem to have an oily feel, though. It may also be contamination from any grease from the bottom of the post working in. This process is part of my regular maintenance now and it does help. I do cuss trying to get the lock ring back in place. Those do-it-yourself videos always make it look easy - the beauty of post-process, video editing.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Well my post is leaking air. Post is 9 months old, but was serviced under warranty 4 months ago. Sucks that the shipping is more than the seals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman View Post
    Pretty bold statement regarding reliability considering the post is less than a season old. I feel we have lowered this bar a bit too much.

The Fall Line has an issue with moisture getting into the brake compartment, which reduces the brake effectiveness. Varying dew points seem to accelerate this issue. Post #688 in this thread can have your brake holding like new again. Watch the 9point8 video on adding spacers. Once the lock ring is released from the bottom of the post, the brake assembly can be yanked right out. You want to be sure brake and surface is cleaned and very dry before reassembly.
    It's difficult to tell, but I assume the contamination is from moisture in the air of the shock pump (air dryer? nitrogen?). It does seem to have an oily feel, though. It may also be contamination from any grease from the bottom of the post working in. This process is part of my regular maintenance now and it does help. I do cuss trying to get the lock ring back in place. Those do-it-yourself videos always make it look easy - the beauty of post-process, video editing.
    I just had this issue with my gf's fall line post. I emailed 9point 8 and they sent over a brake tool and a replacement brake the next day at no charge. I replaced it my self and It works great now. Also if you have the old style lever spend the extra $ and get your self the wolftooth lever. it makes set up was easier.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Well my post is leaking air. Post is 9 months old, but was serviced under warranty 4 months ago. Sucks that the shipping is more than the seals.
    I also have a fall line on my bike and it is having this issue and I'm going to disassemble and see if a seal is just not seated well, if not I will see if 9point8 will send over a new seal kit.

even though I have had issues with both of these seat posts the level of customer service I have received has been fantastic so I will purchase another one when I get another bike.

bike rider
    Well, another season in the bag and all 3 of my 9point8s were hassle free again, as well as the other 3 owned by shop employees. I don't think any of them got more than a wipe down and regrease.
    The few that customers brought in complaining of slow return all just needed to be cleaned, greased, and aired up to 20psi. None of them came back. Meanwhile, we've averaged 2-3 Reverb rebuilds a week this summer. I wish Santa Cruz would spec the 9point8 instead.

As a bonus here's a pic of a sub 20lb bike with a 5" 9point8. This bike ROCKS at covering high alpine miles.
    9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post. Totally happy with mine!-20170621_153345.jpg
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My fall line seems to require a lot of force on the lever to actuate it and I've broken 2 cables this year. Anyone else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Regarding the cable requiring lots of force, a few thoughts. Did you replace the housing when you replaced the cable? Is the cable getting bent going through your frame? My trigger requires more force than my arthritic thumb liked. I was able to attach a piece of aluminum to the level extending it one inch. With that it no longer required much force. But that does not solve the cable braking problem. Doubt it is the post at fault.

The wolf remote will fix a lot of your problems. The stock lever is too short. Also get some shimano sp41 housing and a good cable. It will be butter smoth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Had that same resistance issue. Compared it to one of my other bikes with a LEV, even rigged up a luggage scale. 9P8 was 2-3x more force. For my arthritic hands that's a no-go. For mrs jm2e, it meant lifting her palm off the grip to pry harder. No-go. They recommended buying the Race Face lever which is apparently way smoother. At $60/lever, that was a no-go.
    Went with the BikeYoke Revive post instead. It's been awesome!

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    My fall line seems to require a lot of force on the lever to actuate it and I've broken 2 cables this year. Anyone else have this problem?
    If u are using the 2 pinch bolt method to secure the cable you need to be sure the two tiny allen bolts are flush completely. Any binding here will cause your symptoms. Its happened to me.

The new style digit reverses cable, much easier to install/setup. Eliminates this possible issue.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had the same problems, high lever force and broken cables. My solution was to modify an old shift lever. Works so much better! The activation force is much lower and the cable runs straight along the bar, so should not break as often. The best part was it cost me nothing. Very happy with the
    9.8 post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No doubt I'd like to get the digit or wolf tooth remote but at $60 I'll probably just re-install another $4 cable instead.

bike rider
    I have the Raceface remote on one of my bikes and slightly prefer it to the 9point8 remotes on my other bikes. It's heavier though. If you have a front shifter or my Scott's shock remote you gotta use the 9point8 remote. In that case inspect and/or replace the cable twice a year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So I took another look at my 1x remote (not the digit remote) and it's pretty clear what the problem is. As the lever gets pushed in and pulls on the cable, it starts to bend the cable right as it exits the lever. By the time the lever is pushed all the way in, the cable is bent pretty severely, probably 60 degrees. That will surely fatigue and eventually break the cable. Nobody else has this kind of problem?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    By the time the lever is pushed all the way in, the cable is bent pretty severely, probably 60 degrees.
    Actually with my new $5 cable re-installed the lever's range of motion is less, so the bend at the end of the cable is more like 30 degrees. I contacted 9point8 and the admitted it's a bit of a design flaw. I'm really surprised they continue to sell this lever at this high-end price point.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Yes, I break one cable every season out of the blue, and it can screw you on a ride if you don't have another on hand to fix it.

Solution: Pay the $60 and get a wolf tooth. My post now functions way better overall and a cable change takes two seconds. I don't know why these posts would not just come with the wolf tooth (or the one that 9.8 makes, which is the same as the wolf tooth).

Rocks belong
    My Fall Line is 2 years old now. Works great. It's been ridden on at least 3 bikes in that time. I've had to lubricate the foam ring twice (maybe 3 times?). I've always reset the air pressure when doing the foam ring service.

Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Yes, I break one cable every season out of the blue, and it can screw you on a ride if you don't have another on hand to fix it.

Solution: Pay the $60 and get a wolf tooth. My post now functions way better overall and a cable change takes two seconds. I don't know why these posts would not just come with the wolf tooth (or the one that 9.8 makes, which is the same as the wolf tooth).
    I converted an old SRAM X9 front shifter (opened it up and ground the teeth off the indexing wheel with a hand file) to be my dropper lever. Works great and I love the ergonomics!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So after 2 seasons, my post developed a slow air leak coming from the seal head area (the threaded nut). I was going to rebuild all of it, but looked on the 9 point 8 site and they now have a quick seal kit for $11. It's intended for posts that are leaking air in that area. Super easy to install. I did mine last night in about 10 minutes and post is back to normal. Less time and effort involved in tearing the whole post apart and trying to fit those keys back in.

Here is the kit:
    https://www.9point8.ca/index.php?rou...product_id=170

mtbr member
    Iíve had 2 posts, one for over a year and the other for two. Both working great, no problems. (Both V1 seal nut).

I got Fall Line for my wife and itís leaking at the main seal after very little use. Bummer - but 9point8 has a seal kit on the way. They offered to do the work, but sending it back and waiting for itís return is way more hassle than just doing the seals.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had my 200 for over a year now. I ride everyday. When's it's good it's amazing but I'm now experiencing my third failure and ready to call it quits with this thing.

1) Brake failure after a few months - they sent me a new post

2) X seal failure after a few more months. I was replacing X rings every couple weeks and would still find air leakage with a soap bubble test. They sent me a new post and said they were examining the failure. They never would tell me what was wrong - just that it was a complex issue. Even with a new X ring and perfect upper tube air would leak past.

3) Replacement post has been good for about 2 months and now here we go again with air leakage past the X ring.

If it weren't the only 200 game in town I'd be so over it. Real shame cause the clamp mechanism is the best in class by far. Just wish they would use a spring instead of a pneumatic system. Ughhh!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had a 175 that was leaking and tried to get away with only changing the x ring, but it didn't stop until I rebuilt the post. Based on where it was coming from, it had to be the big red seal. Unfortunately you have to tear the whole post apart to replace that one! But after one rebuild (2 seasons) no problems. However, I grabbed a bike yoke revive recently for my hard tail, super nice! The action blows 9.8 away!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had a 175 that was leaking and tried to get away with only changing the x ring, but it didn't stop until I rebuilt the post. Based on where it was coming from, it had to be the big red seal. Unfortunately you have to tear the whole post apart to replace that one! But after one rebuild (2 seasons) no problems. However, I grabbed a bike yoke revive recently for my hard tail, super nice! The action blows 9.8 away!
    The big red seal is supposed to be a dust wiper only. The X ring is the air seal. But yeah, soap bubble test confirms air is leaking past the X ring and subsequently out the big red seal. 9.8 claims they have a new fix but I'm getting tired of being a beta tester. Post is awesome when it works but 3 failures in 1 year for what is billed as one of the most reliable posts is just not cutting it.

Wish Revive was available in 200.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I find that dusty conditions really slow the post down to an unacceptable speed. I've checked on pressure, and there is no air loss. Speeds back up again when I clean the upper tube. Anybody else notice this? I've seen it on the v1 and v2.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I find that dusty conditions really slow the post down to an unacceptable speed. I've checked on pressure, and there is no air loss. Speeds back up again when I clean the upper tube. Anybody else notice this? I've seen it on the v1 and v2.
    Ha! For mine muddy conditions will do exactly what you are describing, I then have to wipe and put the pl whatever # grease on it and it will work again, needless to say these posts are kind of inconsistent, bike yoke I just get on and ride, any or all conditions work no fails, they make a 185mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    The big red seal is supposed to be a dust wiper only. The X ring is the air seal. But yeah, soap bubble test confirms air is leaking past the X ring and subsequently out the big red seal. 9.8 claims they have a new fix but I'm getting tired of being a beta tester. Post is awesome when it works but 3 failures in 1 year for what is billed as one of the most reliable posts is just not cutting it.

Wish Revive was available in 200.
    FYI - 9.8 says they have a new permanent fix for this issue. Gave me the option of sending it back or sending me parts. I chose parts so I'm not down for 2 weeks again. The post is easy enough to rebuild outside getting the brass guides reinserted...that's a real PITA.

We will see how good this new improved solution is. Having a hard time imagining what they changed on the X ring. I've been a huge fan of this post and the 200 availability. I wrote of the first 2 incidents as isolated but now I'm definitely seeing design flaws. If I didn't need the 200 I'd be over the 185 Revive like white on rice. Good lord why can't somebody make a reliable post?!

mtbr member
    I've had my 200 for over a year now. I ride everyday. When's it's good it's amazing but I'm now experiencing my third failure and ready to call it quits with this thing.

1) Brake failure after a few months - they sent me a new post

2) X seal failure after a few more months. I was replacing X rings every couple weeks and would still find air leakage with a soap bubble test. They sent me a new post and said they were examining the failure. They never would tell me what was wrong - just that it was a complex issue. Even with a new X ring and perfect upper tube air would leak past.

3) Replacement post has been good for about 2 months and now here we go again with air leakage past the X ring.

If it weren't the only 200 game in town I'd be so over it. Real shame cause the clamp mechanism is the best in class by far. Just wish they would use a spring instead of a pneumatic system. Ughhh!!!!!!
    I've had a similar experience, but I wish I could say I've gotten months of use between failures. I've also had 2 posts get scored by the keyways. I give up, back to trusty ks.

I really want to love the drop line. The seat clamp is the best in the business, but it doesn't matter if the post doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I forgot my first failure was accompanied by keyway score too. Obviously these posts are not as bulletproof as we had originally hoped.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    put me down for keyway scores too! however, I have a KS LEV that did that as well... damn dropper posts!!! can't live with em' can't live without em'

fuggansonofahowa
    FYI - 9.8 says they have a new permanent fix for this issue. Gave me the option of sending it back or sending me parts. I chose parts so I'm not down for 2 weeks again. The post is easy enough to rebuild outside getting the brass guides reinserted...that's a real PITA.

We will see how good this new improved solution is. Having a hard time imagining what they changed on the X ring. I've been a huge fan of this post and the 200 availability. I wrote of the first 2 incidents as isolated but now I'm definitely seeing design flaws. If I didn't need the 200 I'd be over the 185 Revive like white on rice. Good lord why can't somebody make a reliable post?!
    I'm interested in this fix and what it involves. Can you update this forum?

I love this post and the concept. It's easy to maintain, but it seems that the 175 & 200mm are (more) susceptible to air leaks and brake assembly issues. Lengthening out the top nut service intervals would be a big plus. At least now they offer a quick seal kit, so I'm not dropping $50+ bucks for a rebuild kit. I do have enough P10L to open my own shop now.

I had a keyway score too on my 200mm. I do like my post but it seems like I have to lube it after every wet ride. If I wipe the post clean it will barley slide. I can lube the sanction with P10L it works again but not as good as pulling the top cap and adding it to the inside.

I have had an air leak too threw the main seal and ended up forcing P10L threw the seal head to get it to seal.

I don't understand why they don't have directional lipped seals that completely wipe the sanctions clean and keep dirt out like a fork or other droppers. That much lube shouldn't leak threw the seals and you shouldn't have to keep a decent coating of lube on the exposed sanctions.

I do like that it's easy to service the post at home. The seat clamp is the best around and it's a good thing as I have to remove the seat at least once a month to add lube to the post. The brake design locks the post in position up and down which I love.

Shipping from Canada is more than the seals/small parts.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

bike rider
    You guys experiencing air loss:
    What pressure are you pumping to and what pressure is it dropping to?
    Keep the Country country.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I had to send two posts back and my buddy has to send his back because of air loss. Itís a shame because I like the post and I like supporting a North American start up. I have one post remaining which I may put on a SS. I have a Bikeyoke 185 on my main bike and a Transfer on my other bike. The finish and action of the Bikeyoke is nice and so far itís been reliable with about two months of use. Obviously too soon to judge reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I find about 25psi sufficient for a fast return with thunk top out with properly greased post. When the X ring goes bad it starts dropping slowly. At first 25 psi may last a few days before the post slows to an unacceptable speed. Putting the pump on it usually shows a pressure of around 15-20 psi then.

Curious to see what new improved 'fix' they have beyond the X ring. I'll post up when it arrives.

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    22-23PSI to lower teens. It's fairly gradual in my case.

25 to 30. 30 is too much with a fresh lube but is needed after a couple rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what the hell is up with 'keyway scoring'?? i have a fine scratch about an inch long on my 200 at the front of the post. i know for sure it's not from anything i've done, but i don't understand it.

Wearing of the anodizing on the centerline of the front of the post is keyway scoring. It starts to show at the base of the post at full extension. It will only get worse over time and will affect the x ring seal so air will start to leak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    what the hell is up with 'keyway scoring'?? i have a fine scratch about an inch long on my 200 at the front of the post. i know for sure it's not from anything i've done, but i don't understand it.
    I'll go out on a limb and guess they told you they've never seen it before? Obviously they're on a learning curve. The design holds a lot of promise but isn't bombproof yet. The 200 has more bending load than the shorter strokes. I don't think they've solved for that yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    you guys are freaking me out here. i just saw it a couple of days ago and haven't communicated it to them yet. i love this dam post, it better not fail me, i'm expecting at least 5 solid years outta this thing! (on year 5 of my KS Lev, one home rebuild, one internal cleaning, year round use on primary bike)

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Wearing of the anodizing on the centerline of the front of the post is keyway scoring...
    Not necessarily, almost unlikely. Posted by manufacturer on another dropper forum: upper stanchion bends under the load and contacts inner surface of the lower tube, which scratches it, especially on longer droppers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So with my third failure (second air leak thru the X ring) I got to thinking about the whole X ring design. I've seen X rings in use on Moto chains but really nowhere else and certainly not in a pressure application.

I can practically set my calendar by the frequency of X ring failure on these things...every 2-3 months of daily riding. It's flawless until...it's not. The last time new X rings would still leak after a few weeks.

So why is it that 9.8 still uses an X ring and separate wiper? I asked myself what others use for a reciprocating dynamic shaft seal. Look at any fork or any other dropper post...they all use a lip seal. And many of those hold far greater pressures than the measly 25 psi the Fallline needs to hold.

My rebuild kit arrives Wednesday from 9.8. They told me it was an updated design but that's all they would say. If it's just an iteration of the X ring I'm going to try to find a lip seal that will fit the post/nut dimensions to replace the X ring and wiper. I figure most of the dropper have a similar post (stanchion) diameter. The challenge may be if the ID of the nut is big enough for a lip seal.

I love this post when it works flawlessly for 2 months. I pull my friggin hair out when it starts losing air every 2 months.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So with my third failure (second air leak thru the X ring) I got to thinking about the whole X ring design. I've seen X rings in use on Moto chains but really nowhere else and certainly not in a pressure application.

I can practically set my calendar by the frequency of X ring failure on these things...every 2-3 months of daily riding. It's flawless until...it's not. The last time new X rings would still leak after a few weeks.

So why is it that 9.8 still uses an X ring and separate wiper? I asked myself what others use for a reciprocating dynamic shaft seal. Look at any fork or any other dropper post...they all use a lip seal. And many of those hold far greater pressures than the measly 25 psi the Fallline needs to hold.

My rebuild kit arrives Wednesday from 9.8. They told me it was an updated design but that's all they would say. If it's just an iteration of the X ring I'm going to try to find a lip seal that will fit the post/nut dimensions to replace the X ring and wiper. I figure most of the dropper have a similar post (stanchion) diameter. The challenge may be if the ID of the nut is big enough for a lip seal.

I love this post when it works flawlessly for 2 months. I pull my friggin hair out when it starts losing air every 2 months.
    I just rebuilt a 175mm the other day, I did not notice anything that was updated in my kit, it was definitely the same X Ring. If they have updated something, why would it not be available on the site? Can you post up some pics before you install it? I'd like to see what the difference is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll take pics and document any updated process. They told me they didn't even have a video for it yet. They did say it required a full rebuild whereas you can do the X ring without rebuilding by just sliding the X ring over the lower tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    As a counter point to all the problems people are posting here, I have been running my 150mm Fall line for 3 years with no problem. I have greased the top nut a few times and replaced the cable twice before switching to a hacked shift lever, which is far better than the stock remote. Love this post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    As a counter point to all the problems people are posting here, I have been running my 150mm Fall line for 3 years with no problem. I have greased the top nut a few times and replaced the cable twice before switching to a hacked shift lever, which is far better than the stock remote. Love this post.
    The issues seam more prevalent on the longer travel posts. I don't understand why...

There's greater translation so conceivably faster wear.

The longer stroke might equate to greater pressure build up at full drop (though the volume should be more to begin with so maybe not).

Greater bending forces but that should only impact the bushing and keyway wear.

Frustrated by what is otherwise a top notch product hamstrung by a cheesy air seal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New seal support ring

9point8 Fall Line Dropper Post. Totally happy with mine!-img_1213-1-.jpg

So this is the redesigned part. It's the foam holder ring. Obviously they know they have an issue if they're making design changes. I presume the cut outs are too keep the X ring lubricated better/longer.

Bear in mind my bike and post see daily use so the interval of service will be proportional to someone that rides 1 or 2x a week.. There's no visible degradation to the X ring after 2 to 3 months but sure enough it starts leaking. I installed a new X ring and this new foam holder and all is fine for now.

A couple tips for ya'll:

1. The X rings are available in bulk from McMaster Carr for dirt cheap. I believe it's a -214 if memory serves. Pretty sure 25 were under $10

2. On reinstalling the post/keys. The critical part is a very sturdy thick rubber band wrapped over the tops of the keys very tight. My first reinstall took probably 1/2 hr just in that step with lots of cussing. This time was maybe 5 minutes.

fuggansonofahowa
    Thanks for posting, dodger. I was not expecting that. I'm skeptical, but looking forward to future updates. I'm holding off on buying the full rebuild kit for now. Hopefully, this extends service life.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    2. On reinstalling the post/keys. The critical part is a very sturdy thick rubber band wrapped over the tops of the keys very tight. My first reinstall took probably 1/2 hr just in that step with lots of cussing. This time was maybe 5 minutes.
    Man, I was cussing and yelling so much the first time I tried to do the install on the keys.!! Ha! Bike maintenance is such a trip, huh?

Thanks for the info and details

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They really need to ditch the X ring/wiper and go with a lip seal like every other fork/dropper in the world. Air retention with a seal was figured out eons ago in the engineering world so it's frustrating that something so easy is the Achilles heel of this otherwise awesome post.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1213(1).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1173192

So this is the redesigned part. It's the foam holder ring. Obviously they know they have an issue if they're making design changes. I presume the cut outs are too keep the X ring lubricated better/longer.

Bear in mind my bike and post see daily use so the interval of service will be proportional to someone that rides 1 or 2x a week.. There's no visible degradation to the X ring after 2 to 3 months but sure enough it starts leaking. I installed a new X ring and this new foam holder and all is fine for now.

A couple tips for ya'll:

1. The X rings are available in bulk from McMaster Carr for dirt cheap. I believe it's a -214 if memory serves. Pretty sure 25 were under $10

Ok.... thanks for posting. Is that foam ring holder available yet on their site? Man i just did a rebuild without it! And yeah, I don't really want to play around with the keys again! Let us know how the post functions, do you notice any difference in operation? Smoother return?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok.... thanks for posting. Is that foam ring holder available yet on their site? Man i just did a rebuild without it! And yeah, I don't really want to play around with the keys again! Let us know how the post functions, do you notice any difference in operation? Smoother return?
    No difference in operation/feel. Hoping the difference is in longevity. I'm guessing the seal ring perforations will aid long term continued lubrication of the X ring or possibly they're to prevent some odd localized pressure build up between the X ring and seal holder?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So their crack customer service team got back to me with modified instructions...a day after the new part arrived!

Fortunately there was nothing earth shattering:

1) Don't use the nut assembly for the purpose of key insertion (have people been doing this?) The video doesn't suggest that and it would seam obvious to me not to bugger up the foam trying to do so

2) Only light coat of grease on the X-ring. I always suspected too much was not ideal. grease is in compressible and trying to squeeze too much into an area could force a leak?

3) Make sure the X ring is fully bottomed in the nut before threading the nut into the post. I'm paraphrasing here because their modified instructions desperately need a competent tech writer. They suggest a soft tool to do so but I can't think of anything that will easily fit in the nut/Xring annulus. Maybe the blunt edge of an allen wrench but I would just suggest using the foam holder/seal support ring and pushing it axially to fully bottom the X ring. I think they're trying to prevent rotational degradation if the X ring is not fully bottomed and then threaded onto the post.

4) The most interesting thing was they said the new foam holder/seal support ring actually gets crushed on installation now. I am guessing they are using the foam as secondary air retention if the ring gets crushed, compressing the foam into the annulus? Seams very agricultural to me.

They really need a V3 nut that will accommodate a lip seal and be done with this air leakage nonsense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ... and wrench flats

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So their crack customer service team got back to me with modified instructions...a day after the new part arrived!

Fortunately there was nothing earth shattering:

1) Don't use the nut assembly for the purpose of key insertion (have people been doing this?) The video doesn't suggest that and it would seam obvious to me not to bugger up the foam trying to do so

2) Only light coat of grease on the X-ring. I always suspected too much was not ideal. grease is in compressible and trying to squeeze too much into an area could force a leak?

3) Make sure the X ring is fully bottomed in the nut before threading the nut into the post. I'm paraphrasing here because their modified instructions desperately need a competent tech writer. They suggest a soft tool to do so but I can't think of anything that will easily fit in the nut/Xring annulus. Maybe the blunt edge of an allen wrench but I would just suggest using the foam holder/seal support ring and pushing it axially to fully bottom the X ring. I think they're trying to prevent rotational degradation if the X ring is not fully bottomed and then threaded onto the post.

4) The most interesting thing was they said the new foam holder/seal support ring actually gets crushed on installation now. I am guessing they are using the foam as secondary air retention if the ring gets crushed, compressing the foam into the annulus? Seams very agricultural to me.

They really need a V3 nut that will accommodate a lip seal and be done with this air leakage nonsense.
    1. I slide the nut assembly close to the top of the keys to kind of hold them together, but once you realize you can mess up the foam ring it was obvious to not to put any pressure on it.

2. I'm cheap with the grease! However, during my recent rebuild I had to use more than I wanted to on the keys, but don't think I put too much on the X Ring. Will keep it in mind.

3. If I remember correctly, my X Ring is always buried in the nut from sliding it, I don't remember it moving back out. It seems it would bottom out regardless once you thread it, but I guess they are saying it does not?

4. So the new foam ring holder thing gets crushed when you thread it? What happens when you pull it back apart to do a re-lube?

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Another vote for 9.8

Mine was installed in August of 2015.....AZ, lots of heat, dry and dusty. I'm a terrible mechanic and I thought the install was easy with their instructions. Didn't touch it for about a year except wipe downs. One brake rest in Montana. Finally did the foam ring re lube myself and have done it a handful of times since. Recently developed an air leak. 9.8 Customer service answered the phone and quickly responded to emails. It went back on Friday and will get the V2 nut. I don't look at the changes to the design as an admission of flaws, rather a desire to make a great product even better. Almost 2.5 yrs of service and our season here is almost year round....I'll take that any day.

I understand it sucks and is frustrating to have your problems, but just wanted others to know that for every person with an issue, there's a whole bunch of others out there riding with no problems....

Hope you get your post issues resolved soon...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You can add me to the list of scoring on the front centerline of the post stanchion. I noticed it a couple of days ago while changing the saddle. It's a very fine score, can hardly feel it, at the moment. I have the 150mm version. At the moment the post is working fine.

I assume the repair involves sending the dropper back for a new stanchion. Have they figured out why this is occurring?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trail-blazer View Post
    You can add me to the list of scoring on the front centerline of the post stanchion. I noticed it a couple of days ago while changing the saddle. It's a very fine score, can hardly feel it, at the moment. I have the 150mm version. At the moment the post is working fine.

I assume the repair involves sending the dropper back for a new stanchion. Have they figured out why this is occurring?
    I've been hearing that it is not because of the keys (referred to as 'keyway scores') and that it is a result of having the seat post too tight. I don't know, I really don't run my seat post overly tight, it's a QR, but I have 3 perfectly spaced on the front of my post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've been hearing that it is not because of the keys (referred to as 'keyway scores') and that it is a result of having the seat post too tight. I don't know, I really don't run my seat post overly tight, it's a QR, but I have 3 perfectly spaced on the front of my post.
    Yeah, I'm not too sure about that either. I don't have my QR too tight to allow the post to rotate in a crash. The scores only appeared within the last 3-4 rides meaning I went over 18 months with none or any other issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    today i went biking in some cold temps 15-19F degrees with the wind chill, and initially the dropper was slow to extend and eventually it just stopped extending period. when i got home, i checked the air pressure and it was at 0psi. i've never had this happen before. i had put in 30psi the week earlier.

i was out earlier this week in about 32F degrees and everything was fine.
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I think I've come up with a fix for slow return speeds in dust (La NiŮa in Arizona levels of dust). Regreasing of everything with their recommended grease only resulted in satisfactory performance for a few rides in really dusty conditions.

Now what I do is just hose down the upper tube with Maxima SC1 before every ride:
    https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-SC1-Si...rds=maxima+sc1

It takes all of 2 seconds. A can lasts me about a season, and has many uses. The trick is to never wipe off the upper tube of the Fall Line after applying, just leave the full coat on. I fastidiously apply SC1 to my fork stanchions and shock body before every ride, wiping down after a minute to cure, but this is not the appropriate approach for the Fall Line. Run it wet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I think I've come up with a fix for slow return speeds in dust (La NiŮa in Arizona levels of dust). Regreasing of everything with their recommended grease only resulted in satisfactory performance for a few rides in really dusty conditions.

Now what I do is just hose down the upper tube with Maxima SC1 before every ride:
    https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-SC1-Si...rds=maxima+sc1

It takes all of 2 seconds. A can lasts me about a season, and has many uses. The trick is to never wipe off the upper tube of the Fall Line after applying, just leave the full coat on. I fastidiously apply SC1 to my fork stanchions and shock body before every ride, wiping down after a minute to cure, but this is not the appropriate approach for the Fall Line. Run it wet.
    I've used silicone spray on my KS LEV with good results but was always hesitant to use it on the 9.8 because they swear by the special grease and not to mix with anything else. You've had no issues? I might give it a try. I'm tired of slopping grease on this thing every ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I don't think they tested their grease in the Southwest. I haven't had any air loss from seal failures after testing this approach this season, April to the present.

fuggansonofahowa
    You need to be careful that it doesn't migrate into the brake compartment. 9p8 recommends that P10L grease because it doesn't separate and get oily, which would heighten the chance that the brake gets contaminated.

It goes without saying, but Brake + Lube = bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've had a contaminated brake in the past, but successfully cleaned it up. It's documented earlier in this thread. This was before I started testing with the SC1, and I suspect the oil was from the shock pump after pumping up my fork.

Haven't had a problem with the SC1. It's not an oil, just a light coat of silicone, most of which is scraped off at the wiper.

fuggansonofahowa
    Yes, I've had similar problem and I only use P10L. I'm just stating what 9p8 claims as the reason for pushing that P10L grease.

I'd still argue that SC1 has more likelihood of contaminating the brake than P10L. Silicone is great stuff, but spray a little on your rotors and it's lights out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Even if it eventually does contaminate the brake at a rate of once every sixth months, that service interval is far superior to the three rides I get from their recommended grease, freshly packed, in the conditions I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1213(1).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1173192

A couple tips for ya'll:

So their fancy new foam holder doesn't do squat. 3 weeks and my post is leaking slowly already. Was actually doing it by 2 weeks but I couldn't find the leak with a soap bubble test so I chalked it up to anomaly. I did a submerge test just now and found a slow leak past the wiper. Good thing I bought that batch of X rings at McMaster Carr.

I'm over this post now. Somebody else please make a 200 post that I don't have to service every couple weeks. PLEASE!

fuggansonofahowa
    damn....I didn't have a lot of faith in that fix. I still like the post - it'll just have to keep up the service. Appreciate the update.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    On the plus side, that looks like it would be an economical and light weight substitute for a wedding band.

mtbr member
    I wish there was a grease port on that collar.
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678