mtbr member

You are six-tenths of 1%

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    But 9% increase year over year, that's not to bad. We're not going to be mainstream anytime soon though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is this really a good thing? I mean, you know they're doing this because the bus is too slow and they can't afford a car on $8 an hour. Oh well.

OSCMTB
    And then the economy improves and they're right back in their gas guzzlers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Is this really a good thing? I mean, you know they're doing this because the bus is too slow and they can't afford a car on $8 an hour. Oh well.
    Not for the reasons you cite. For me, frankly, I prefer to be one of the only riders out there! Sure, it probably makes drivers behave slightly better when there are more of us out there, but having actual bicycle "traffic" to deal with is kind of a downer.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Not for the reasons you cite. For me, frankly, I prefer to be one of the only riders out there! Sure, it probably makes drivers behave slightly better when there are more of us out there, but having actual bicycle "traffic" to deal with is kind of a downer.
    For me, bicycling is the fastest possible way to get to work once I account for the time it takes to park my car and then walk to the office. The bus is only about 10 minutes faster compared to walking for a 3 mile commute.

I'm in SF so bicycle traffic is an actual thing, not traffic jams or whatnot though sometimes that happens too. Just like automotive traffic, some people want to go faster than others and will pass given the opportunity. There is a greater variance in speed amongst bicycles compared to cars I guess. Some pass very aggressively, some pass very conservatively. I had one guy behind me get mad at me because I slowed down behind someone running on the MUP rather than pass her because I saw someone coming the other way. It meant he had to slow down too and I guess that spoiled his opportunity to pass without colliding into the person coming the other way.

I suppose the other issue is that compared to automotive infrastructure, bicycle infrastructure is smaller or more constricted. For example a street with 4 lanes of one way automotive traffic might have the same amount of space for bike lane as a residential street even if the number of riders differs by one or two orders of magnitude.

mtbr member