View Poll Results: Do you call out or ring a bell before passing a bike or ped?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 79.17%
  • No

5 20.83%
    Moderator Moderator

Are you a polite and prudent passer?

weirdo
    I never pass in an elevator unless I`m absolutely certain nobody will hear.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Many times people have head phones on and don't hear me any how.
    1988 GT Timberline R 26"
    1999 Cannodale F-500 HT 26"
    2005 Scott Scale 60 HT 26"
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Elite FS

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I have a bell. I ring it. I don't cry myself to sleep if they don't hear it. I give plenty of space. But between that and my 800 lumen lights, if they get run down by my tank of a bike, it's their own f*cking fault.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    It's always the folks who aren't paying attention, be either having something in their ear or on a substance. I don't give 2 clams if they get mad/shocked when I call out, ring a bell, etc and they get startled or upset. They have plenty of room and are in no harm. It's the folks who walk down the middle of trail and have headphones in that get me...move the F OVER! End rant.

mtbr member
    [rant]

So this is BS. The law says that you have to make an audible signal, but that's not enough for Mr. Bicycle Advocate. "Several rings of a cheerful bell well in advance of passing, followed by a loud and clear verbal proclamation as I get nearer" is what you need to do to be "courteous."

When I used to jog, I hated the people who would ring their bell..............and then ring it again.......................and then ring it again.................and then finally pass me.

They thought they were being courteous, but they were actually being annoying. I'd been running on the right anyway, but as soon as I hear that 1st bell I'm in a limbo - I'd move even further to the right, bring my arms in a bit, and basically wait for them to pass. And wait. And wait. Competent joggers and pedestrians don't need 10 minutes pre-warning to the warning.

Now, I only ring my bell if there are people in the way. 6 joggers standing in the middle of a trail admiring each others' shoes - Ding-Ding. One jogger running in a straight line on the right side of the trail - "I'm on your left"

This works fine for most people, but every so often there's a courtesy-queen who thinks they deserve more.

Last week I passed two women who were taking up an entire two-lane trail, had no idea what was going on around them, and had an unleashed dog wandering around even though it was not an offleash area. I found an opening, said "passing on your right" and squeezed through. And in response I got a snooty "How about a bell, please?" I almost stopped and told her off.

The bell is the most useless, least clear, and least communicative communication device ever invented.[/rant]
    Last edited by newfangled; 01-15-2013 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I usually do but just about every time the person I'm passing jumps like I've just snuck up on them and fired a few warning shots into the woods. I suppose a bell would help but I'm out of bar space.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    The bell is the most useless, least clear, and least communicative communication device ever invented.
    I agree. As a pedestrian even when I hear a bell it usually takes a little while for me to connect the ringing sound to possibly a bicycle behind me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I usually do but just about every time the person I'm passing jumps like I've just snuck up on them and fired a few warning shots into the woods. I suppose a bell would help but I'm out of bar space.
    I'm usually the one being passed but on rare occasions I have passed a couple people, once on my Yeti with the quite DT350 hubs. I yelled out passing and everyone jumps hiding behind trees lol

Anyhow, I will yell out passing and hear people doing the same...they generally say, "Passing on the left." I also ride with ear buds but I keep the volume low enough to hear the squirrels playing in the brush. I also check behind me periodically.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    In my area, I only have a real problem in early spring when "everyone" comes out to enjoy the warm weather. Most of them don't realize that they should treat the trail as a busy street.

My favorate thing is when people stop to rest and park their bikes right ON the trail. Give me a break.

Any way, I ring a bell and/or shout passing on your left depending on how much room I have or am given. Some times I don't do either if I have lots of room and am not going that fast.

I don't do this for their safty, buy mine. If they want to wonder aimlessly around on a trail with earphones on and get hurt, thats on them.

I just take this an an obsticle I need to clear safely and there is nothing I can do about unaware people wondering around on our trails.

Moderator Moderator
    I try to call out, often just hello or good morning, but still, Iíve startled people. I once startled a woman walking toward me on the trail, I was positive she must have seen me, because Iíd seen her for >100 yards, but apparently she was in her own world (no headphones either), and she jumped as if surprised by a serial killer. I felt really bad even though I didnít really do anything wrong. In the past when Iíve done some big charity rides, a bell was a blessing because you could get hoarse calling out on your left all day, and Iím pretty slow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been on the bad end of non-courteous passes (the only reason I knew someone else was there before I jumped out of my skin was that my hub suddenly appeared to become 3x louder tan it was) and I have also done it.

Sometimes it is unavoidable...kid darts out into the path, etc, but most times, a simple 'on your left' suffices...except when the passee then decides to 'move left for some bizarre reason. It's not like the trails/paths I ride are unknown to cyclists, but at least 3-4 people do the 'awkward foot shuffle' every time I use those paths.

I say "excuse me" and that is it. I have tried bells and "on your left" and there are too many people who jump the wrong way. At least with "excuse me" most will at least look at me to assess the situation.

weirdo
    I probably SHOULD put a bell on my bike, but the frequency that I encounter other non motorized traffic really doesn`t warrant it. When it does happen, I try to be nonstartling by whatever way seems best suited at the time- sometimes call out, sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I once startled a woman walking toward me on the trail, I was positive she must have seen me, because Iíd seen her for >100 yards, but apparently she was in her own world (no headphones either), and she jumped as if surprised by a serial killer.
    Towards you, even- awesome
    Recalculating....

ako
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I sometimes ride on a bike track that is parallel to a running/walking track. Yet pedestrians insist on blocking both lanes of the bike track, when the running track is empty.

I sneak up behind them on my stealthy single speed and shout "bike track" as I pass. They jump and I feel better.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I probably SHOULD put a bell on my bike, but the frequency that I encounter other non motorized traffic really doesn`t warrant it. When it does happen, I try to be nonstartling by whatever way seems best suited at the time- sometimes call out, sometimes not.

Towards you, even- awesome
    I just remembered that even from afar she appeared zombie-like because one arm was all wrapped up in ace bandages and held out unnaturally straight.

mtbr member

Mixed bag

[rant]

So this is BS. The law says that you have to make an audible signal, but that's not enough for Mr. Bicycle Advocate. ....Competent joggers and pedestrians don't need 10 minutes pre-warning to the warning.

Now, I only ring my bell if there are people in the way. 6 joggers standing in the middle of a trail admiring each others' shoes - Ding-Ding. One jogger running in a straight line on the right side of the trail - "I'm on your left"

This works fine for most people... I passed two women who were taking up an entire two-lane trail... I found an opening, said "passing on your right" and squeezed through. And in response I got a snooty "How about a bell, please?" I almost stopped and told her off.

The bell is the most useless, least clear, and least communicative communication device ever invented.[/rant]
    *** I have one so that if I have an accident, I am not cited for not having one as I have heard about *and* the fact that with no sidewalks, most roads here are MUPs. My neighbors smile when I ring them on approach. I only do this on my first lap if I am warming up, cooling down, or just exercising, unless I detect a need for a reminder.

The goodwill generated is worth hauling this short distance warning device, to me. The walkers walking with, rather than against traffic usually with ear phones get a loud "on your left". That usually makes them jump left, so I am far enough left that if I hit them they have jumped into my path big time. I may have to warn them but I am not responsible for their dumb a$$edness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I usually do but just about every time the person I'm passing jumps like I've just snuck up on them and fired a few warning shots into the woods. I suppose a bell would help but I'm out of bar space. I agree. As a pedestrian even when I hear a bell it usually takes a little while for me to connect the ringing sound to possibly a bicycle behind me.
    *** A non-reaction earns an"on your left". Actually over 5 years, I have trained most of my neighbors. It is further afield I have to double warn.

Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    I'm usually the one being passed but on rare occasions I have passed a couple people, once on my Yeti with the quite DT350 hubs. I yelled out passing and everyone jumps hiding behind trees lol

Anyhow, I will yell out passing and hear people doing the same...they generally say, "Passing on the left." I also ride with ear buds but I keep the volume low enough to hear the squirrels playing in the brush. I also check behind me periodically.
    *** I have been passed once while riding the shoulder of a 4 lane close to the rumble strip to be as visible as possible and to avoid as much detritus as possible. I was concentrating on traffic to my left in my mirror, missed his approach. Well it was my first overtake on that road in four years so not something I'd watch for. I was not pushing it, he was. I wasn't in my drops, he was.. I was not fit again, he was, I did not have a stripped racing bike, he did. So he had 5 mph on me at least. I did not know he was there until his front wheel came into my peripheral vision. To the sides, my sight is uncorrected and legally blind so I had a major BP spike and I wobbled some. I hollered "on your right" given the traffic and situation was not only a courtesy, but needed for safety. "Nice 'On your Right' I yelled. Doubt he heard.

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    In my area, I only have a real problem in early spring when "everyone" comes out to enjoy the warm weather. Most of them don't realize that they should treat the trail as a busy street. My favorate thing is when people stop to rest and park their bikes right ON the trail. ... I ring a bell and/or shout passing on your left depending on how much room I have or am given. ...I don't do this for their safety, but mine .
    *** Bad after school with a spring snap and the sun is low when you can get a group of teens walking with traffic on the right and a group on the left which suddenly decides to cross diagonally with no look at all just as you are ringing the bell. Added an 'on your left', rode right on the edge of the road and brushed a shoulder. Oh, and they were all in dark clothing so the right group caught my headlights but the other loomed out of nowhere just in time for me to dodge or someone would have been splatted by 250 pounds of bike and cyclist at almost 20 mph. Good someone was paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I try to call out, often just hello or good morning, but still, Iíve startled people. I once startled a woman walking toward me on the trail, I was positive she must have seen me, because Iíd seen her for >100 yards, but apparently she was in her own world (no headphones either), and she jumped as if surprised by a serial killer. I felt really bad even though I didnít really do anything wrong. In the past when Iíve done some big charity rides, a bell was a blessing because you could get hoarse calling out on your left all day, and Iím pretty slow.
    *** I start early. Leaves most of the slow ones behind. Saves a lot of calling out. They don't generally get past lunch and the 50 mile point

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I say "excuse me" and that is it. I have tried bells and "on your left" and there are too many people who jump the wrong way. At least with "excuse me" most will at least look at me to assess the situation.
    *** Some still jump out of their skins. I've tried different salutations.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    *** We can be obnoxious by too much, dangerous by to little too late, and confusing, depending on the situation. Adjusting to the circumstance like my not warning on subsequent laps, is better than what the author of the article suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I sometimes ride on a bike track that is parallel to a running/walking track. Yet pedestrians insist on blocking both lanes of the bike track, when the running track is empty. I sneak up behind them on my stealthy single speed and shout "bike track" as I pass. They jump and I feel better.
    *** SInce peds of MUPs yell when they are in the wrong and walking both lanes, I think this is fair if it is safely done.

*** Do the best you can, using a modicum of good sense, an excess of tolerance, and some margin of error for idiots. It's all about being safe first, educating second. Courtesy? A nice byproduct.

BrianMc

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I give an "on your left" anytime I pass anyone. Never had a problem.

The only exception is the occasional walking four-abreast clods who block the whole MUP. I give them a "Four across blocking the whole path? How considerate of you." as I pass by.
    Last edited by woodway; 01-15-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Still want a fat bike....
    I usually give them an "I'm coming up on your left" to try and be as clear as possible since, like many of you have experienced, when I say, "On your left", most people move to the left. I don't get too many pedestrians in my way cause I am always on the road, but the 2 times per commute I am on the sidewalk for like 20 yards, it seems like I find people a lot. I try and slow down a little and I don't yell. I just try to do it in my speaking voice. I dunno, I know yelling scares people, but I also know that some people need a scare.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a jingle bell on my bike. It rings whether I ring it or not. But people here don't pay attention. I usually just open up a bunch of space and pass. If the bunch of space isn't available, I slow down to walking speed and say "pardon me." Calling directions frequently has the opposite response to what I want.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    [rant]
    \
    Last week I passed two women who were taking up an entire two-lane trail, had no idea what was going on around them, and had an unleashed dog wandering around even though it was not an offleash area. I found an opening, said "passing on your right" and squeezed through. And in response I got a snooty "How about a bell, please?" I almost stopped and told her off.

I hate it when non-cyclists remark 'where's your bell?" when you come up behind them. Like I'm going to bolt a bell to my carbon bars. I usually just call out which side I'm passing on and do so safely giving as much space as I can. I actually told one old smartass he should carry a rear view mirror if walking on cycle shared trails when he made one of those half audible comments that was just out of earshot. All bravado evaporated when I turned around and went back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I slow down to walking speed and say "pardon me."
    Your'e so polite Switchy, I hope my daughter meets a nice boy like you one day.