Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Professional Amateur

Yet another what bike to buy thread

I commute in Tucson a couple days a week, 12ish miles one way on surface streets playing leapfrog with the SunTran bus. Currently I ride a Specialized road bike wearing a Camelbak Hawg which I stow coffee, clothes, and lunch (very tight fit). I have been caught in rainstorms where both me and the bike get soaked due to no fenders. I also dislike wearing the pack and like the idea of panniers instead.

I have my ee on a Surly Crosscheck. I like other Surly bikes I have seen and definitely like the idea of fenders and rack mounts. I can see myself doing mini several day tours in the future. I wonder if I am simply drawn in by Surly marketing, however. I could probably find an older bike for next to nothing on craigslist and add parts to get it to decent commuter status.

Any opinions on the crosscheck or alternatives? I am not sure I like the standard component setup so I'd likely buy the frame and build from there. I appreciate any advice, I am fine commuting on my road bike for now, I should probably just be happy with what I have but racks, fenders, and more comfy tires are looking pretty attractive to me right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like my cross check. I use it mainly to commute to work on days when I don't need to bring much to work but myself and my uniform. I'm also planning on some short tours with my aunt and uncle next summer. I went with the stock set up, partly because it's a good price for what you get, and also because there were no 54" frames left and only a handful of complete bikes when I was ready to buy.

I went with the cross check because I like riding steel frames and the addition of rack and fender mounts.

Professional Amateur
    Thx for the input. I think the Surly would definitely fit my bill. Now I just need to convince the wife.

BIG and Bald
    Surly Long Haul Trucker might be another option.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Professional Amateur
    Yeah, a coworker of mine has the LHT, it seems nice. I need to read up on the differences between it and the Crosscheck. Surly definitely seems to have the edge over other bikes at least for now. Somebody just posted something about the new Salsa bike, definitely looks diverse. I wonder how much it costs ($$$?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I too considered the LHT and the Salsa LaCruz. The Salsa was more than I wanted to spend. It was a tough choice between the LHT and the Cross Check. Our shop has built up a few of each, and a not so local shop that has done a lot of Surly builds and is known to keep a Karate Monkey or two in stock. Talking with both of them, I decided the Cross Check was more for me. Bigger tires on the 54" and I like black bikes. LHT looks like an awesome bike, but I don't see myself doing in a week long tours any time soon. So the cross check won.

Bikeoholic
    I suggest the salsa Casseroll:
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=19&brand=216

If $1500 isn't more than your were looking to spend for a complete bike (105 triple).

I currenlty have one and I use it for everything on the road. I think it is very comfortable for commuting and all around road riding.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by centerridgerider
    I suggest the salsa Casseroll:
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=19&brand=216

If $1500 isn't more than your were looking to spend for a complete bike (105 triple).

I currenlty have one and I use it for everything on the road. I think it is very comfortable for commuting and all around road riding.

That does look nice although $1500 is definitely more than I was considering spending. Heck, even the $900 Surly hurts (and is the main reason I don't already own one). Although it's more than I was planning I know it's better to spend more on something good initially rather than buy cheaper and end up replacing/upgrading components later.

Thx for another option

Professional Amateur
    Went and checked out some of the other bikes @ my LBS and the crosschecks sure look nice. I also have become more fond of Salsa'a offerings (disc brakes). I think the new fargo model is not really what I need. I have a 29er hardtail mountain bike already, although I don't see myself throwing racks and fenders on there any time soon. I am curious how much the new Surly 09 bikes will be, the guy at the LBS alluded to prices going up as much as 20% (their cost) :O

We have a local bike swap the middle of next month, hopefully I will find something affordable there to quench my new bike lust.

I Ride for Donuts
    If you're on a budget, I'm a big fan of my Nashbar X cyclocross frame/carbon cyclocross fork. I'm able to run disc brakes, has mounts for racks and fenders (I run planet bike fenders in the winter), and looks good too, if I do say so myself.
    nashbar link: http://www.nashbar.com/profile_combo.cfm?combo=39963
    Currently $299 for frame and fork...I paid $399 I think about a year ago.

mine:
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 10-16-2008 at 11:57 AM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    If you're on a budget, I'm a big fan of my Nashbar X cyclocross frame/carbon cyclocross fork. I'm able to run disc brakes, has mounts for racks and fenders (I run planet bike fenders in the winter), and looks good too, if I do say so myself.
    nashbar link: http://www.nashbar.com/profile_combo.cfm?combo=39963
    Currently $299 for frame and fork...I paid $399 I think about a year ago.

mine:

Saw that in the pic thread, looks a lot like my Specialized road bike (all black). Maybe there are sales/ coupons to stack but that nashbar frame is pretty close in price to the Surly crosscheck. I think I would opt to be vain and go w/ the Surly for a few extra dollars. Good suggestion I had not previously considered though.

~Joe

BIG and Bald
    The only thing that makes that frame/fork combo $299 is the carbon fork. You can get the cro-mo fork for $50 giving you a dependable frame/fork combo for less than $200.

I personally have been looking at the Nashbar Signature 853 for a first time build project I'm wanting to do soon.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    The only thing that makes that frame/fork combo $299 is the carbon fork. You can get the cro-mo fork for $50 giving you a dependable frame/fork combo for less than $200.

I personally have been looking at the Nashbar Signature 853 for a first time build project I'm wanting to do soon.
    Ahh I see, thanks for the clarification. Definitely cheap. Anyone know who makes them?

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound
    Ahh I see, thanks for the clarification. Definitely cheap. Anyone know who makes them?

According to the box mine came in, Some guy named Taiwan

It really is a nice aluminum frame. The welds are impressive and it's held up really well on my washboarded/nasty dirt road. The carbon fork is what drives the price up. I'm really happy with the carbon fork (one of the only ones out there with a disc mount), but you can get the frame alone for $129 right now: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products

That's a steal for a nice used frame on craigslist, let alone a new one. Almost makes me want to buy a spare.

I like using the cyclocross frame for a commuter, because so many mtn bike parts fit it. It's got 135mm rear hub spacing, 68mm BB shell, and 1 1/8 inch steerer tube...You can make a freak of a bike using mtn and road parts. I was rocking 26 inch wheels for a while. The BB was low, but otherwise it was sweet. Tire options were endless, and there was always room for fenders. ...not sure of all the dementions on the Surly.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 10-20-2008 at 10:26 AM.

In the rear with the beer
    I commute 2 days a week from scottsdale to Tempe. I love my LHT. I put the "nice rack" on the rear. I've got the front rack too for future touring. Good friend who commutes in DC ides a cross check. I think they are both great for the purpose. I went with the LHT for the long touring possibilities.

I built it up at Rage cycles here in Scottsdale. Its really my favorite bike to ride with the oveall component combos...my yeti 575 is a very, very close 2nd....and obviously for very different riding.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Professional Amateur
    Thanks, I'm sure I would love one of the Surly bikes (leaning towards crosscheck for the larger wheels in my size and unlikeliness of loooong tours any time soon) although I am waiting to see what the 09 prices turn out to be. That or hope to find a nicely priced used model at our upcoming swap. Thx for the info

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    When I bought my crosscheck, I got the '08 built for $1000 even. The retail price listed was $1050, before they even quoted me the price I just asked if they could do it for that price, and they did. I did see the price on QBP when they placed the order, and they still did good.

The manager told me he expected the price to be around $100 - $150 higher for 2009, but wouldn't know for sure until Interbike.

Edit: Just looked at Surly's website. It's all updated for 2009. Crosscheck MSRP is $1050, LHT is $1095. Enjoy your surly when you get it.

mtbr member
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

Professional Amateur
    Yes, I saw that one as well but I think I would prefer to stick with steel instead of Al. That and I'm not sure how a front rack mounts, would that frame take a front rack? I'm sure it would as they bill it as a touring frameset. Certainly a cheap price, especially compared with what the new Surly prices will be.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound
    Yes, I saw that one as well but I think I would prefer to stick with steel instead of Al.

I looked at that touring frame when I was building mine. Honestly I just thought the cyclocross frame looked beefier. I like the ovalized down tube on mine..makes for a really strong steerer tube area. I was hesitant to go with Aluminum also, but I've been pretty impressed with this frame. I wish you could see the condition of my dirt road...I go chattering down this road daily, and the bike's held up incredibly well. No issues at all. Based on mine, I would think this touring fame would be pretty nice.

If it's just the feel of steel over aluminum, well, you can't argue with that. It's all about preference. I'm enjoying the aluminum/carbon fork combo. I did a century on it this last summer, and about hour 6 is when you really start to consider the ride characteristics of your frame/fork. I was plesantly surprised.

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I looked at that touring frame when I was building mine. Honestly I just thought the cyclocross frame looked beefier. I like the ovalized down tube on mine..makes for a really strong steerer tube area. I was hesitant to go with Aluminum also, but I've been pretty impressed with this frame. I wish you could see the condition of my dirt road...I go chattering down this road daily, and the bike's held up incredibly well. No issues at all. Based on mine, I would think this touring fame would be pretty nice.

If it's just the feel of steel over aluminum, well, you can't argue with that. It's all about preference. I'm enjoying the aluminum/carbon fork combo. I did a century on it this last summer, and about hour 6 is when you really start to consider the ride characteristics of your frame/fork. I was plesantly surprised.
    Right, my road bike is Al/carbon and it's definitely a different feel than my steel mtn bike (well I suppose 2.5" tires could have something to do with that as well). I am seriously considering a budget option such as these although I would still prefer a Surly if a good deal was to be had. since Nashbar is essentially Performance, are these frames/similar frames available through a local Performance store? I would think they would have something comparable.

I Ride for Donuts
    'Scattante' is performance's house brand... lame name, but whatever.

Their most comparable one that I see is this one: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

here's the basic similar frame/fork: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3020

And performance isn't nashbar, performance is supergo

Professional Amateur
    Nashbar isn't owned by the same company as Performance? Really? I know Supergo was bought by Perf and I thought Nashbar was the same. In fact I asked one of the guys at my local Perf and he acted like they owned Nashbar but couldn't ship to store like they can from the Perf website. I didn't know Scattante was a house brand. Makes me wonder what else I don't know (like that commercial)

I Ride for Donuts
    I know performance bought supergo, but I've never seen a nashbar product at a performance store...I've only been to a couple though. I haven't seen nashbar stuff on performancebike.com, or scattante stuff at nashbar.com either.

If they own Nashbar, they're keeping it pretty separated.

Pricepoint house brand: Sette
    Nashbar house brand: Nashbar (how simple!)
    Performance house brand: Scattante (we wish we were Italian), and Forte (we wish we were French). The 'Forte' stuff used to just be called 'performance' stuff. I have some pedals that were 'performance' pedals when I bought them, but now the exact same pedal is made by 'Forte'.

Also, the human head weighs 8 pounds, and bees and dogs can smell fear.

Professional Amateur
    I think performance or Forte products are the same as many Nashbar products just with different logos for some reason. See here for evidence they may be the same company.

Interesting, my dogs can also hear me approaching the cutting board from anywhere in the house. Did you know your stomach needs to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it would digest itself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast