mtbr member

Wow! I Suck at Driving!

Yesterday I drove the work Prius to some fieldwork and got back to the office about 1 p.m. That part was uneventful. But when I came in this morning, I learned that I had left it running. All afternoon. All night. Yikes! Apparently I neglected to hit the power button at the end of my trip, as I parked, listened to the rest of the weather report, completed the mileage log, was joined by a coworker who saw me in the car, opened it back up to turn off the headlights, etc. I did take the key with me, but there is no ignition (I usually just leave the electronic key in a cupholder while I drive), and apparently the Prius will keep running even without the key in the vicinity It used about 1/3 tank as it switched back and forth from battery to engine mode through the night. At least nobody drove off with it.

I guess I should stick to the bike.

NONDURO
    LOL! Iíve done that a couple of times before, but not overnight.

Meanwhile, I despise my Prius. What ever word describes ďthe opposite of driving passionĒ surely describes the car. Sure, it gets great mileage, but there are many annoying things about it (traction control, rear drum brakes, blind spots, etc.). Iíve ridden my bikes more miles in the past couple of years than Iíve driven my Prius, part of the reason being that the bikes are FUN to ride.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

weirdo
    That`s funny! But don`t worry, Xplorer- it sounds like driving isn`t where you messed up, you just suck at being parked
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Me too. I chose to drive i stead of ride this week, and have gotten a 300 dollar chicken **** traffic ticket, and a minor front end collision that knocked my bumper out of place and jacked up my front end.

That is what I get for driving when I should be riding.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Nicely done.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ha around here that would be a reportable safety violation.

No more driving at work until you complete a defensive dribing course.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    That's what they get for making a car that runs without the key in the ignition. Those Prius are sneaky being "on" without running.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Those Prius are sneaky being "on" without running.
    I think the proper plural form is Priii
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I struggled with that one. It was between Priii Priuses and Prius. I thought it might be the same plural and singular like deer.

Edit: being a Friday afternoon...Plural of Prius, Prii? Not According to Latin Experts - KickingTires

mtbr member
    How 'bout: Three cars individually known as a Prius. (Dumb name anyway,but better than 'Probe' especially if one tailgates you.)

Driving is a learned skill that like others requires some upkeep. Minivans and Crossovers with young mothers on their phones (they are not in fact, driving as most of us mean it) and older drivers who shop one a week with maybe 2000 miles a year are in there with young drivers with less than 5000 miles under their belts. I ride to avoid them. An ICE at least gives a little telltale vibration and in most (now changing) you turn the key and remove it and done. Our cars ding for keys or lights when you open the driver's door, why doesn't the Prius ding away or scream like a banshee when the driver's butt leaves the seat and the car is still on? According to Car and Driver short of the Tesla, regenerative braking makes major inroads into fun to drive, but maybe VW retains more than most. I am milking another 5 years out of the current stable. I can buy a lot of gas and repairs and still save money.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    I still like Pree-eye.

That's partly why I love my Jeep. Not only is it massively fun, It makes all sorts of noise and smells funny whenever it's running, so this kind of thing doesn't happen
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^^ Yeah someone at work said who the F would want to steal that anyway!!! I drove it again today and "tested" it by leaving it on when I got back. Yes, it beeped 4 times, but then stopped, unlike when you leave the lights or keys in a car, and nobody of the 3 people I drove could tell it was still "On".

Rogue Exterminator
    There has been talk about making them louder.
    Mostly for the sake of people walking in parking lots so they can hear them.
    Maybe they need to make them louder just so people turn them off so they don't waste all that gas they saved. lol

mtbr member
    ^^ Someone at work sent me this. I love The Jetsons option he suggests....

The silence of the engine is a recognized problem: Too-quiet Toyota Prius gets sound option to protect pedestrians | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Here would be my suggestion: jetsons's car - YouTube

Fat-tired Roadie
    I try to make a habit of locking my car from the outside when I leave it. Keeps me from locking my keys inside!

Not needing some sort of a totem object in the dash to be "on" does seem like a bad choice. But then, I'm used to having to put a key in the ignition. And even operate the ignition manually!

I drove my big honkin' SUV a couple hundred miles this weekend. Take that, nature! Although now it's going to spend the whole week parked in front of my house.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jfk
    mtbr member
    I spent 2.5 years in race club, taking race schools, driving open track events (non-competitive) on road courses. Enough to chew through two set of expensive tires. These days, my sporty little car has been sold and I drive a car once or twice a week. About half the time to drive my mountain bike to the trail. Every time I get behind the wheel of a car, I am reminded how piss poor my driving skill are these days.

I miss the thrill of those days. The confidence in my skill setup and take hard turn at speed. The giddiness I felt after 20 minutes on the track is hard to describe. Overall biking is better for me. But, you can't help but feel the regret skills you lost.

mtbr member
    Appropriate for Northeast today. Bikes don't have windows to rollup:

funny photos, snowed in car - Mandatory

That sort of cools a car romance.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well, after that I don't think that you will do the same mistakes again. It all comes down to experience I guess..

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I haven't driven my truck in so long I forgot how to park it. Seriously, I had to try twice to get it into a spot you could land a plane in.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^