mtbr member
    Moving an injured person can cause massive damage to the nerves and spinal cord of an injured person. The accident was stupid and careless, but not necessarily intentional. The lack of care in moving his victim is heinous with a complete disregard for the well being of an innocent as evidence by dumping him out of sight and it was only chance that got him medical care in time to save his life. In my book, that is attempted first degree murder done as a result of a hit and run, which is often a criminal offense (not sure about Florida's laws on that). The penalty needs to be more than drunk driving and leaving the scene.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    ^^
    The crowd coming to the defense of the unfortunate cyclist is the silver lining of that ugly cloud.

An employee (still?) at Yellow Jersey, Madison, WI was hit and went through a windshield into the front seat of a car. She was a martial arts instructor and soon convinced the driver to pull over. Beat the crap out of him. Lucky her head struck below the roof line or that would have been her last ride.

weirdo
    I missed this one somehow- heinous is right. Wish I could say "unbelieveable", but unfortunately, it isn`t.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^
    The crowd coming to the defense of the unfortunate cyclist is the silver lining of that ugly cloud.
    It looks to me like the crowd is more interrested video than anything else.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yea, Brazil is a pretty awful place to be, very uncivilized. They see lots of death over there, and the first reaction is to film it not render aid.

As far as the OP goes, throw the book at that eyebrow plucking guido, that should be at LEAST murder 2.

mtbr member
    ^^ I am talking about the ones who hemmed the driver in and got him stopped. Not the video vultures.

Moderator Moderator
    This one at least has a good ending and a witness who stepped up.

Driver allegedly hits cyclist, returns home with victim in windshield

sheep in FOX clothing
    Disabled cyclist died 'a cruel death,' family says - Latest Hamilton news - CBC Hamilton

That was 3 months ago that police admitted they had the vehicle. No arrests.

Not mentioned in the article is the reason the cyclist was disabled in the first place. Other news articles reported he was also hit by a car that ran stop sign in 2010.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Cycling safety: Tom Samson?s widow wants probe into teacher?s death reopened | Toronto Star

Mildly surprised that story hasn`t been scrubbed from the news website yet...

Coles Notes Version

Initially, police told her Samson was struck and killed by a van at 6:43 a.m., after riding his bicycle through a red light in the intersection of Lansdowne Ave. and Davenport Rd. Police also told her he had been riding his bike northbound.

Sapiano is calling on police and the Crown to reopen the case, now that they’re acknowledging Samson was stationary or near-stationary, waiting to turn left, as he was lawfully obliged to be, when he was rammed from behind.

mtbr member
    ^^ In Canada, manslaughter charges apply if the death involved a criminal act. Seems to me he can't know he killed the cyclist, so leaving the scene would qualify as a criminal act that caused death. Certainly it prevented sobriety tests and drunk driving resulting in death rules would apply then, so why should he face a more lenient charge if he fled? Or criminal negligence applies. Justice must be seen to be done. It seems like the family's lawyer should sit down with the prosecutor so that the charges levied could be explained.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ In Canada, manslaughter charges apply if the death involved a criminal act. Seems to me he can't know he killed the cyclist, so leaving the scene would qualify as a criminal act that caused death. Certainly it prevented sobriety tests and drunk driving resulting in death rules would apply then, so why should he face a more lenient charge if he fled? Or criminal negligence applies. Justice must be seen to be done. It seems like the family's lawyer should sit down with the prosecutor so that the charges levied could be explained.
    I think vehiclular homocide would be the correct charge backed up with many other charges

sheep in FOX clothing
    At this point the charges are pretty much immaterial compared to the fact that the police blamed the deceased cyclist with running a red light.

Only after his wife spent thousands on a lawyer to deconstruct the bogus accident report did the police admit that they basically made the whole thing up, and that the cyclist was waiting at a red light when he was run over from behind.

In that context, it gets pretty hard to believe pretty much anything the cops have said about previous investigations, and all of these studies of cycling accident causation and road safety that we've been analyzing for years suddenly may be based on complete falsifications.

mtbr member
    ^ The Toronto "Mayor" (and I use that term only because he still has the office) has essentially said that cyclists deserve what they get. So I suspect that filters down. I used to have pretty decent respect for Toronto Police. So maybe the culture can be changed back. Shame it has to be a widow fighting for her dead husband. I imagine that as things stood, his estate (her financials) were put on the block because of the wrongful charge. Talk about kicking you while you are down.

mtbr member
    A death resulting from criminal act is often considered a homicide. It will be interesting to see if Miami comes through when England did not.

mtbr member
    ^ Sympathies to Eddies family and friends. It will be interesting to see what charges are brought.

mtbr member
    If they had not run and tried to dispose of the body, it is unlikely they would have been charged. City prosecutor said that reasonable doubt (that the cyclist caused the accident) would have prevented charges being filed.

Suspects Await Charges in Cyclist's Death | KRGV.com | CHANNEL 5 NEWS | Breaking News Breaking Stories

No word on whether the driver was tested for drugs or alcohol. So the fact that rthey appear to be scumbags got them in trouble.