jrm
    mtbr member

worst/best smelly part of your commute

Worst: This fish processing place near the freeway. When they wash their equipment they don't clean the ground/street so it drys & permeates the asphalt. Hurl reflexes @ 6am arent cool.

Best: Rainbow bakery/outlet. the smell of fresh sourdough bread and corn tortillas wafting through air is a nice change from the rumble of the fwy, exhaust and low tide.

I Ride for Donuts
    Dead deer.

Rain on Sagebrush.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I ride past one ravine that will randomly have a strong air current pouring out of it. I don't really notice it in winter, but the rest of the year it can be this strange sensation of riding into a mass of air. There's not any windy to speak of, but the temperatures drops by a few degrees, the humidity increases, and suddenly everything smells like pinetrees.

It's very cool. And it's something that would probably be too gradual to notice if you're running or walking, but on a bike you're going just the ride speed.

Worst is an equine centre I ride by most days. It's not terrible, but it stinks up an entire neighborhood. The neighborhood has nice views, and some of the most expensive houses in town, but all those expensive houses stink for months on end. It's strange.

weirdo
    The fog that often appears between my saddle and my shorts.
    The cafeteria at Jobcorps when they`re serving up breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Rain on Sagebrush.
    Mmmmm
    Recalculating....

rain on sagebrush actually became somewhat offensive to me during my summer working in UT. it was SOOO strong.

worst: the chicken rendering plant where I used to live in TX. I rarely ever smelled it in the morning, but the wind always seemed to shift on summer evenings, but that $hit was rank. probably not as bad as the fish plant, but it was bad.

best: sycamore trees on a humid morning. it's a very subtle aroma that it seems a lot of people can't smell. but I find it incredibly soothing. they should put that stuff in shampoo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If there is a smell during any of my rides, it's a nasty smell.
    The 2 main culprits are the sewage "treatment" plant that just sits there and ferments. It's more like a collection plant. And the trash on the side of the road, oftentimes being a trash bag with an animal carcass in it. This island is so jacked up.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Best: Riding past Uncle Sam's Pizza and Sandwiches at dinner time on the way home..The smell is to die for. If the wind is blowing right you can smell it for almost a half mile. :-)

Worst: Riding past Uncle Sam's Pizza and Sandwiches at dinner time..Damn that smells good and I'm not having it. If the wind is blowing right you can smell it for almost a half mile. Argh!!! :-(

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Worst: Occasional car exhaust
    Best: Pine Forest

mtbr member
    Past commutes:

Abattoir just after a semi of hogs is delivered while one is being butchered. Semi liquid chicken manure (including bits of carcass) sprinkled on the road. Fenders are good for keeping more than rain off.

The smell after a light spring rain when the redbuds and other trees are in flower. Reminds me of the better half. Nice to know that some things never change as long as I am breathing.

BrianMc

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    I ride past a foundry, the air there often smells like spray paint. Closer to work I smell butterscotch, and I can't figure out where it is coming from.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Absolute worst:

-From a past commute, went past the water treatment plant for a major city/surrounding towns. It was right after/before a fertilizer plant. The air in mid-summer was almost so thick you couldn't breathe for about a mile of trail.

Absolute best:

-Taking the long way to/from work (like, 15-20 miles out of the way ), and riding along the coast with a sea-breeze blowing.

Current worst:

-0.5 miles past the horse farm. A big horse farm.

Current best:

-See above, but also: bakery making crepes/waffles, and a local diner at breakfast. Also an Asian joint down the road.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mfowler95 View Post
    Best: Riding past Uncle Sam's Pizza and Sandwiches at dinner time on the way home..The smell is to die for. If the wind is blowing right you can smell it for almost a half mile. :-)

Worst: Riding past Uncle Sam's Pizza and Sandwiches at dinner time..Damn that smells good and I'm not having it. If the wind is blowing right you can smell it for almost a half mile. Argh!!! :-(
    I know what you mean! I don't leave work until 5:30, so in warmer weather, often people are already BBQ'g while I pedal past - pleasure and pain all at once!

Years ago I used to pedal past both the B&M baked bean plant and the Nissen bread commercial bakery - yum!

Cjohnson, the butterscotch mystery must be solved!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Worst is an equine centre I ride by most days. It's not terrible, but it stinks up an entire neighborhood. The neighborhood has nice views, and some of the most expensive houses in town, but all those expensive houses stink for months on end. It's strange.
    A part of my commute goes through a very exclusive neighborhood (probably better than Beverly Hills but very low key). Residents there want their lawns nice, so there are always gardeners mowing, raking, planting, blowing in the area. I hate the leaf blowers (most operaters are considerate and stop or turn the blower away when a cicylist or pedestrian is passing by). I always hold my breath and pedal as fast as I can even though the operator stops his machine. I try to nod to him to show that I acknowledged his consideration. Anyway, during the spring and summer the place smells of manure because everyone wants a beautiful lawn. Who knew that rich neighborhoods smell like sh!t! Haha!

Speaking of bad smells, there are two kennels on the same street that I pass. It stinks like sh1t! Some days are worse than others. Sometimes I don't smell anything. I pedal as fast as I can and hold my breath, but even after passing the two kennels I can still smell it for a while. Are kennels suppose to smell? Who brings their animals to such places?

mtbr member
    On the path to the trails, there are trash cans for disposing of doggie poo every half mile or so. They probably only get emptied once every couple weeks. They get really, really, REALLY ripe when it is hot out, which is 335 days of the year...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Worst parts. Poo smells.

- There are two parts where there is strongly "off" smell - like poo - which are just kinda indescribable

- The abbatoir I pass on my way home. I'm climbing hard at this point so I can't go fast. Then a slow-moving sheep truck slides along side. There's another poo smell.

Best Parts. Food smells.

- There is some sort of bakery at the foot of the climb mentioned above that always smells of raspberry buns. Mmmmmm.

- The route home through one suburb takes me past a fish & ship shop, a Burger Fuel, a Dominos and a Subway. Not what I want to smell when I'm hanging out to get home for dinner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Worst: In the morning it's not so bad, but in the afternoon, on my way home, I pass a septic tank maintenance company's parking lot. It's horrid.

Best: A few miles down the road from the previously mentioned nasty, there's a restaurant that must be awesome at grilling steak. I must eat there some time soon.
    Salsa Casseroll SS.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    worst: once a week, invariably, a dead skunk. usually positioned in such a way that giving it a wide pass is not an option.

best: well, really, i'm out on a bike, right? so life is good, and i'm getting exercise and it's healthy and it's de-stressing me and it's just plain damn fun.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Worst: final 100 yards of the commute is through and alley in downtown SF. After 60 days with no real rain its pretty ripe with urine and who knows what else. Looking forward to some rain Tuesday night.

Second worst I found out when I got in my office and wondered "hmm, what is that smell? Turns out its time to deep wash the helmet!

Best: on my way in I cruise by a flower shop with a coffee shop halfway down the same block. Usually they are unloading fresh flowers early in the AM, if its not windy its a great smell that is almost immediately followed by the smell of fresh roasted beans and coffee.

FKA Malibu412
    Worst: New job starting soon so it's going to be the sewage treatment plant, depending on wind direction.

Best: Sewage treatment plant. JK. Prolly the Starbucks.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams