FBI tested, NSA approved!

Winter Tire Performance

Riding in this morning it occurred to me that my cheapy Saguaros (the wire beaded, hard compound rigids) actually were doing pretty good in the crusted-refrozen snow and fair on smooth ice. I would expect the tire to bite well in the snow but though the ice traction was better than anticipated. So how are your tires performing and in what conditions?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Riding in this morning it occurred to me that my cheapy Saguaros (the wire beaded, hard compound rigids) actually were doing pretty good in the crusted-refrozen snow and fair on smooth ice. I would expect the tire to bite well in the snow but though the ice traction was better than anticipated. So how are your tires performing and in what conditions?
    I have the Nokian M&G studded tire it performs well in light snow, ice, thin or light car snot...

I also hane the Nokina Freddie Revenze studded tire it performs well in deeper, heavier snow, ice, thicker heavier car snot....

I hate it when i pick the wrong tire.

mtbr member
    I've done a fair bit of winter riding on my bigapples, and have been really surprised how well they work.

BUT.

As soon as things start to melt they are crazily, seriously, majorly deadly. Solid ice or snow is surprisingly great, but put a teeny bit of water on top and it's brown-trousers time.

Which is why normally I run studded mount&grounds or icespikers.