CB of the East

Winter Motivation, or Lack Thereof

The bed is warm.
    The room is cold.
    It is dark out. (and it will be dark out for the return trip)
    It is cold out.
    The roads are junky.
    The winter bikes are heavy and slow.
    The winter gear takes longer to put on.
    I'm Tired.

Is it just me or do some of you other bike commuters have to fight the urge to just take the car?

By the time I'm out and riding I'm usually glad I did it. Fresh air and exercise helps get the day started.

mtbr member
    Well, that's easy for me because I no longer have a car. Actually, I am approaching my 1 year carless anniversary in January. I should clarify that I no longer have a personal car - our family still has the family van but that is used for the family and it is hardly ever available for my commute.

Although many times, especially when I am riding home, I ask myself why I am doing this - the health benefits have been amazing. Not only have I lost a lot of weight, and been complimented by many people on not being fat, but I also find that I sleep better after getting in a bike workout-commute. Also, commuting has largely healed a whiplash injury that I have suffered with for years? Why? Because when I am biking, I'm forced to turn my neck to look multiple directions each ride. This solved my whiplash injury by stretching out muscles that had been compressed (is that the right phrase?) for years from the whiplash injury. Essentially, cycling did for me what a chiropractor would have done after probably 50 visits.

Just solving that neck pain for me is a benefit I never expected from biking. The weight loss has also been great. I'd say, overall, its well worth it. And, I haven't even mentioned savings from gas, insurance, etc.

CB of the East
    That does take the decision out of it. There was no deciding for me today either. We're getting snow all day. I'm in a car.

mtbr member
    My commute is only two miles so when I don't feel that it would be safe or fun to bike in, I walk. I've even cross country ski'd a couple of times. Taken the bus once or twice. If it's really nasty or if I have other errands to run in conjunction with my commute, I will drive. Maybe a handful of times a year. It's a good reminder for why driving to work is a pain!

jrm
    mtbr member

On days i dont ride

I take transit and walk. I have particular routes ive mapped out between work, transit stops and home. Driving is out of the equation since parking is so expensive since the cities demolishing at grade parking lots to make room for more buildings...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Snow days are tempo days.

For me it is either by foot or by bike, whatever traveling I need to do, so I have to adapt to this "weather exists" mentality.

Luckily everything is so close, 5 miles easily covers every place I need to go, most of the days it is just 2 miles total which I can count as a commute, so it is about same what comes down for such short trips.

My biggest issue is overheating, hills, snow, 200+ pounds with bike, wattage makes heat and it is not enough cold yet, hoping to get colder weather soon as being wet from sweat for every ride is bit annoying.

Going slower you will think, 22/24 gearing is what I used today a lot, commuting at walking speed with bike is not very fun, so have to work on this fitness level.

Make it a game, take short section of road and do private segments to Strava or something, what just would make it more interesting for you. All that is needed is to trick that brain to think there is race or chance to win and boom there is motivation, at least that is how it works for me.
    Trek 3700 Disc, frame, wheelset, seatpost, fork and rear brake original, rest is upgraded.

mtbr member
    For me the hardest thing is getting up in the morning in winter - no matter if I plan to ride, drive or ride.

For the rest I dont have much choice. We have a car but thats reserved for wife n kids and a bus connection exists only 3x in the morning and evening. If that doesnt fit, its getting hard to get from/to work.

I dont know about others but often I even enjoy riding in bad weather, on the condition that appropriate clothing and bike is used. I often have the feeling that some little boy hidden inside is then breaking out again, riding through puddles on purpose etc I guess rule #9 applies to me

CB of the East
    Well, a few days after posting this I have the opposite problem. I'd like to ride to work again but the roads aren't safe to do so after the last snow so I'll be driving for a while.

To be clear, my lack of motivation is usually short lived and goes away once I'm throwing a leg over the bike.

mtbr member
    Sometimes you just get an overdose of something and need some distance. I have had that before but after a few days I am resetted and its fun again. I have such periods every 2nd year or so and I feel the next one coming. Christmas break will be good I think.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ I have my mornings too bedwards...I always force myself to remember how good I feel AFTER the ride and let momentum carry me along. Glad your motivation is back, roads will be safe soon I'm sure.

CB of the East
    ^^Roads, who needs roads. I took the trails today! The answer to that first question is me, when the trails are too deep. But today I was lucky.

Christmas Break = Christmas Day for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Cold room, warm bed, for me that did stop when I did increase my magnesium intake a bit.

In whole nutrition changes has made me to have a lot more energy from wake-up on, where before I had hard time to get out of bed, now it is like eyes open, I'm ready for a run.

For me eating by recommendations was not enough, so I did do all the math and figured out what I was missing, made lot of learning and formula building, finally I can say nutrition is key for everything, but you have to know what you really need.

Being physically very active changes numbers a lot, not just calories but whole palette needs to be adjusted and when nutrition is in order I just get up and go, never slowing down, haven't got even a flu for years, where as I used to have every flu in circulation and always that 2 weeks in bed.

Level of change in life quality has been beyond any imagination, so well worth the trouble.
    Trek 3700 Disc, frame, wheelset, seatpost, fork and rear brake original, rest is upgraded.

mtbr member
    Last night, I rode home uphill in an ice storm. It was cold, dark and kind of intimidating. I asked myself - why do I keep doing this? But, once I got to the end of my ride, I felt a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction - I thought, wow, I just rode through an ice storm.

CB of the East
    ^^Yes, knowing you can get around without a car is satisfying. To most people here not bringing a car to get to work is beyond comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy old biker View Post
    For me eating by recommendations was not enough, so I did do all the math and figured out what I was missing, made lot of learning and formula building, finally I can say nutrition is key for everything, but you have to know what you really need.
    It sounds great but what did you use for inputs to your math equations? Everybody's physiology is so different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    It sounds great but what did you use for inputs to your math equations? Everybody's physiology is so different.
    Energy usage, body mass, scientific studies which nutritional recommendations are based on, lot of work.

What matters is if you get enough, potassium, magnesium, calcium etc. for your activity level, sure calories, protein fats and carbs are also important, but without knowing micros diet is hit or miss.

There is so much hocus pocus around nutrition these days that it is not even funny anymore, I like to call it nutri-religion, but people want easy and simple instead of calculated science.

Only tip I can give is to do all the hard work, figure out what you are really getting from your food and keep writing food log to figure out big picture.

Knowledge is power, so gain knowledge and that helps a lot with winter motivation too, at least that was biggest thing for me.

Human Test Subject
    I've been having knee issues which limits my riding. When I don't ride I don't have energy. When I don't have energy I don't want to ride. Stupid downward spirals.

I did 17ish miles today though and the ice in Minneapolis is bad enough that I mainly have the paths and streets to myself.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.