mtbr member

Winter Commuter East Coast style

What do you ride in the winter when there is snow, ice, salt on the ground ?
    I am wondering if i should continue to use my IRO Mark V fixie or switch to something more burley like a ss mtb. I pretty much plan to commute for most of the winter except the really cold days and snow/ice storms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat
    What do you ride in the winter when there is snow, ice, salt on the ground ?
    Public Transit.

But I'm a wimp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Where are you going to be riding? Through small amounts of powder and slush the single speed should be good. However, if you are actually going to be riding on snow (which is harder than it sounds) than go with a fat tire. However, be safe, because even one slip on the road with traffic around isn't worth it.

mtbr member
    I ride an old rigid Cannondale mtb year round (especially during storms - that's my favorite). It's almost all aluminum so no worries about rust. I run studded tires in the winter and can ride through almost every type of road conditions we get until there's about 4 to 5 inches of snow piled up on the roadside - although I'm in the Rockies so our snow is lighter than back east.

If you're commuting on snowed-over pavement you may consider narrow studded tires over wide ones because they will penetrate the snow, slush, and other muck and bite into something solid instead of floating around on the surface.

One thing that gets difficult is when the temps are right around freezing. That's when water and slush splash onto your bike and freeze, binding up brake cables, shifting, etc. I bet a SS is the way to go for that and fenders help alot.

My rides are typically well above or well below freezing and my knees are achey so I Iike gears. I plan to experiment with removing alternating cassette cogs in order to leave more space to clear snow for those occasions when it's sticking like that.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The other thing to keep in mind is that your ability to control the bike might be great. Stupid drivers who do not adjust for conditions, however, are something that concerns me more when riding in snow on roads than at other times of the year. Might be just me.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by racerdave
    Stupid drivers who do not adjust for conditions, however, are something that concerns me more when riding in snow on roads than at other times of the year. Might be just me.
    Yep, THIS is what keeps me off the roads during bad conditions.