Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Winter Casualties - a memorial for your dearly departed parts

Winter isn't over in my part of the world, but it's close.

In that spirit, list what you've broken, worn out, or generally destroyed over the last few months of darkness, as well as praise for any survivors.

Me:

8 spd chain - stretched out, just in time to switch back to ss
    taillight clip - shattered during an unplanned dismount
    bb7 organic brake pads - definitely rear (2yr old), and maybe front too (1 yr old)
    Jogging/riding pants - don't have much seat left

And I think that's it.

The rest of my clothes are going strong. My 29er Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros look about the same this year as last year. My backup nokian mount&ground still look brandnew after 4 years. The squaretaper cartridge bb on my main bike is 3 winters old, and the external bb on my backup bike has two partial winters on it. Headsets are fine. Hubs seem fine. My Winter cassette may need a replacement next fall, or it might make it to winter #3. Overall, a pretty cheap winter for me.
    Last edited by newfangled; 03-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.

I did well with winter parts wear on my commuter...I had none. I don't consider early December in Texas to be winter, anyway. I did ride the mtb this winter, however. My shifters are on the decline. IME, once the Shimano lube in the shifters starts to break down to the point that they start missing shifts in the cold, the pods only have a couple years tops before they need replacing. I cleaned them out and relubed them using what the shop recommended for the task (a different set of products than I've used in the past) so here's hoping they've got a couple years of life left.

I am currently a bit intimidated by the 20+mi commute (all city streets and a few miles of rail trail through the city, so lots of stopping) to my current part time job. I am waiting for nicer weather before I start biking that commute and it might only be occasional because of the time required for it and poor clean-up facilities at work.

I dream on two wheels

I replaced my whole drivetrain. With 2 years and over 14,000 miles of daily commuting the rear was starting to slip at full torque. New brake pads and tires too.
    Whiskey

I Ride for Donuts
    My 'fender extender' project has had negative consequences... I took an old SKS beavertail fender and bolted it to my PB Cascadia front fender, to extend the front to the point where it would actually do some good... it works great at stopping the water, but the chattering down the dirt road has caused the weight of the beavertail to flex the cascadia to the point where the cascadia has completely cracked in half just in front of the mount... so the beaver tail is like a splint holding the two parts of the cascadia together...still works fine, but it's a bit floppier than I'd like. Going to have to figure something out when I pull the fenders off...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I dream on two wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    I replaced my whole drivetrain. With 2 years and over 14,000 miles of daily commuting the rear was starting to slip at full torque. New brake pads and tires too.
    Oh yeah, the shoes I use for winter commuting fell apart so I ordered some shimano mw81's and they just came in today. Too bad it's suppose to be in the 60's this week. Upper 20's in the morning though so we'll see.
    Winter Casualties - a memorial for your dearly departed parts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363048777.182396.jpg
    Whiskey

weirdo
    Chainrings too, Simonns?

Not much for me. Replaced a chain not long ago (a month?) due to Sheldon`s 1/16 rule, and finally put a tear in the worn-thin seat of my favorite shorts last weekend. Have been riding on and off with my "summer only" tires from last year and they`re close to death, but I temporarilly mounted a pair of brand new ones for and event and then put the old ones back to finish off. I also snapped the mount off my headlight, but the second attempt to repair looks like it`s ging to be a permanent fix.
    Recalculating....

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've had a miraculously good winter (knock on wood.) Everything I own has done okay.

I think a lot of this is just that I had a few problems come down the pipe all at once last year. So going into this winter, my commuter had downtube shifters and a 36-spoke rear wheel, my nicer road bike had new chain rings, and I actually dropped my mountain bike for a shop tune.

Far cry from last year, when I chewed through some parts and then broke my old commuter, bought the present one, and promptly put some cracks in the spoke holes on the rear rim and broke a shifter. That kinda sucked, and had me feeling pretty unsure about my new "buy a nicer commuter, spend less money on crap breaking" idea. If nothing else, that experience has left me with more distaste for where the bike industry has gone. If a wheel only has 24 spokes, why can't I have it cheaper??
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

MTB, Road, Commuting
    -Suspension overhaul on my 2010 mountain bike (I'm not sure I can blame that all on winter) to the tune of about $280 for a complete rear shock rebuild and a front overhaul.
    -Added 2 new winter use bikes. 9er with optional studs and a fatty.
    - I was thinking I didn't have any direct casualties but Andrew reminded me that I ripped the cable out of my computer last week with a stick.
    - My winter road bike is due for some maintenance.

I dream on two wheels

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Chainrings too, Simonns?
    Chainrings too, just the big one though. Actually I'm on my 2nd big chain ring in as many years.
    Also, we had a mix of snow, slush, and water on the trail this morning in Denver. Drivetrain clogging, rear disc freezing, damn near wheel locking conditions.
    Winter Casualties - a memorial for your dearly departed parts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363115021.770402.jpg

But, I got to test out my brand new shoes! So i thought I would give a quick review.
    This is for the Shimano MW81 winter MTB shoe.
    Bottom line is they kept my feet dry, and it was pretty wet out this morning. It was also about 24* F and my feet were fairly warm, not hot. I'm not sure how the shoe will do once the temp gets below 15. I got room to add thicker socks though. That being said, I know my old setup of PI Trans Alp shoes and shoe covers would have been soaked through. So for now after my first ride I'll give them 4/5 stars. Thanks.
    Winter Casualties - a memorial for your dearly departed parts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363115852.217246.jpg
    Whiskey

Moderator Moderator
    I bought a PDW fatty fender, and it is out in the woods somewhere, along with the QR seatpost attachment it snapped to. I will look after snowmelt, but unlikely that I will be reunited with both parts. Otherwise I made out pretty well, replaced a small chainring at some point, don't remember when exactly, and the fatbike is in the shop right now because the BB had a little play at Winterbike, and may or may not need replacement. Rear derailleur on the MTB was skipping, but works better after realignment/tension adjustment. Osprey Manta pack was sent off for free repairs of the belt clip under their lifetime warranty (no fine print, no receipt, etc,) a few weeks ago, and should be back soon; I did have to pay one-way shipping, about $15. Wanting a spare mullet wheelset for the MTB so I can swap slicks/trail tires easily. My lithium batteries were a little wimpy for my now longer commute, were running out if I used high power, so I bought 1 bigger one; was thinking I would put that off till next winter but one night both helmet and bar lights went out as I approached home, and that was the last straw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Almost lost the old Simplex on my Schwinn, but lubed it to within an inch of it's life, and it's working again. Briefly toyed with the idea of replacing it with something less valuable (plate-mounted tourney or some-such).

The chain on the Schwinn is shot, as is the cassette (both replacements, not originals), even with full coverage fenders. I replaced the chainguard with a few steel washers, but they weren't stainless, and rusted in just a week of use. The wheels (also replacements) I reckon are toast. They were cheapies built with galvanized spokes, and, though true now, I doubt I will be able to fix them if they come out of true. I popped the kickstand out the other day and wire brushed it clean again, then covered it in WD-40 while it was still hot, thought about torching it to set the oil in it, but it's held up fine with no rusting since then. The combination of salty air and salt spray from the road is brutal on these parts, even with religious lubing once a week, and daily wipe-downs....luckily the Varsity will be retired soon to summer-only cruising use, replaced with a Crosscheck SS.

I didn't remember having this much trouble the previous (worse) winter when I was further inland, even with the [then] non-stainless/plated parts on my mountain bike.

The mountain bike fared better, when I used it. Not surprising, really, all X7 level components, good handbuilt wheels, et. al. Just a few rusty bolts here and there, slated to be replaced with good stuff when I get back riding it.

Of course, not riding for the past week or so of miserable weather due to a separated shoulder is helping everything stay in good condition

One more week before getting back to the commute, and another two or so until I can get back to mountain biking. At least I can use my arm now, so, improvement!

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    Oh yeah, the shoes I use for winter commuting fell apart so I ordered some shimano mw81's and they just came in today. Too bad it's suppose to be in the 60's this week. Upper 20's in the morning though so we'll see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363048777.182396.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	780012
    I have those shoes too, just bought them. Did you have to go 2 sizes up compared to normal?

So, let's see... This winter, I've clocked up around 4k miles, and replaced:
    • 2x Schwalbe Big Apple tires (sliced to hell from all the debris on the trail)
    • 2x Q-Tube inner tubes
    • 1x Park Tools VP-1 patch kit. Admittedly it entered the season 3/4 used.
    • 1x KMC Z51 chain
    • 1x 36x11 10sp Deore 2012 cassette
    • 1x Shimano chain, some kind of directional chain.
    • 2x Cinelli Cork bar tape
    • 1x 14g straight gauge spoke. Or 33, depending on how you look at it, because they realized they botched the wheelbuild, cut all the other ones & rebuilt it.
    • 1x Seatpost. I don't know what brand, but it was bent when I replaced it. Pretty sure they're supposed to be straight.
    • 3x Shimano BS01 brake pads. Worn down to the metal. I actually started carrying spares around because of this.
    • 1x Louis Garneau Ergo 0 shoes.
    • 1x Pearl Izumi Cyclone gloves. Oh, how many times I repaired you... but some tears just cannot be repaired. RIP after 3 seasons of use...

But my personal favorite?
    • 1x Surly Mr. Whirly spider
    • 1x Surly 38T chainring

Total value of of broken parts in below photo: $104.

Another photo

Surly were very cool & sent me swag to cover the broken spider and chainring, but I still have no freakin' idea how that happened. JRA on a hill, cranked hard and threw a chain. I'd checked the chainring bolts that morning too and made sure they were snug and tight. I'm going to glue the broken parts to the bent chainring, and hang it on my wall, along with my race numbers.

The sad thing is that this winter has been a GOOD winter in terms of wearing out gear, because I switched to the Rohloff half way through, and this is the first year I'm commuting on disk brakes. Normally I'd have gone through a wheel and a dozen brake pads by now.

The one piece of gear that hasn't failed me in 3 years: Hincapie Legado Diablo bibs. I like them so much I bought 5. I have been using two, washing them, then throwing them in the drier. They are living a hard life and have each seen at least 1500 hours of ride time. I am so incredibly impressed at the quality of these. And I still have 3 more in their packets, because these ones have lasted so long.

My other gear:
    • Marmot jacket is no longer waterproof, but still good. Gf keeps washing my jackets & removing any waterproofing, so I've just given up.
    • Pearl Izumi gloves are on the way out, as are my Louis garneau gloves. Holes everywhere. Pearl Izumi Barrier gloves (heavy duty) only see about 15h use a year, so they're in near new condition.
    • Hincapie knee warmers are still doing really well after 2 years @ ~500h of use per year. Ditto for smartwool arm warmers, although they don't see nearly as much use per year, maybe 100h.
    • All my jerseys are doing well. Next to zero wear and tear.
    • Helmet is good, but probably should swap out the helmet pads. I saw a 3yo photo of me wearing the same helmet, and I know I haven't replaced the pads in that time. That's ~3000h of use on that helmet.
    • Vis360 lights are getting a little tired. Twice-daily recharging takes its toll on the lights. I bought them when Vis360's were first released, and they're on to the V2 of the lights now, so they're ~2 years old IIRC.
    • Edge 800 is doing well. Some scratches on the screen, but otherwise fine. Says it's been used for 1225 hours to date. Has stopped crashing on the mapping screen (good) but the battery life has dropped a little (bad). I do have a dynohub to USB output now, so battery life isn't as critical anymore.
    Last edited by hunter006; 03-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.

weirdo
    ^^My God, Hunter. I know your annual mileage is something like a decade`s worth for most people, but that`s a lot of dead stuff! You could probably have a limo drive you around for less $$.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    My lithium batteries were a little wimpy for my now longer commute, were running out if I used high power, so I bought 1 bigger one; was thinking I would put that off till next winter but one night both helmet and bar lights went out as I approached home, and that was the last straw.
    I had almost forgotten about the weird string of bad luck you had with your DiNotte lights. Was that the battery that just died, or did you finally give up on those guys?

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Almost lost the old Simplex on my Schwinn, but lubed it to within an inch of it's life, and it's working again. Briefly toyed with the idea of replacing it with something less valuable (plate-mounted tourney or some-such).
    Whoa, Simplex + Schwinn sounded like such a strange combo that I googled it to see if you had some franken mix or if they really sold like that. But then it got even stranger! Beyon the "plain old" Simplex friction shifters and RDs, a few pictures turned up of early Varsitys that had those early hand lever operated FDs. Have you got one of those, any chance?
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^The Dinotte problems ended when instead of "fixing" the old one, I paid extra to upgrade to the 300R taillight. It has been bombproof and is confidence inspiring. It makes my backup Superflash look like a dimestore decoration. That battery is fine, it was a Lupine headlight battery I replaced. And to be fair, it was not really dead, just a little undersized for the trip, especially as it lost a little charge capacity over time.

Impressive power, Hunter!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    One Chain

Two BB bearings

Two spokes on front one rear...

Nokian M&Gs will survive another year...think I lost one more stud....Geez that is 12000 plus kms

No point in replacing studs the rubber is started to wear out when the stud comes out the hole it will just not keep a stud...

One brake bleed...

Oh yeah several more big paint chips flaked off....seems like a poor powder coat job lucky the frame is aluminum just turns into a dull oxided finish.
    Frame is a 2005 RM Element replace in 2008 due to worn BB threads....that was when they switched to a Quebec powder coater....that was a mistake.

mtbr member
    If we count November 30 as winter, then:

1 Pair of cycling gloves (months old replacing a 5 year old pair)
    1 Pair of Cycling Shorts (not a year old, cut off me)
    2 Sets of silk under layers, (torn at knee, top cut off)
    1 Jacket (new previous Christmas, torn & cut off)
    1 Jersey (old & faded so not a big loss, cut off)
    1 Set of leather look alike bar tape (newish, torn)
    1 Set of pedals (lest than a year old, ground up and bent).
    1 Helmet (less than a year old, DOA)
    1 Rewire helmet light (intermittent found when moved to new helmet)
    1 Rewire headlights (intermittent found next ride)
    1 Rewire light lead (bad connection discovered mounting to new helmet)
    1 700-32 Panaracer TG with less than 1000 miles (replaced both on principle, though former rear one is a spare now)

Though if the blow-out had not happened, none of these would have gone. Like a stolen bike in the cost analysis, just part of the cost, I guess.

Worn out:
    I pair of shorts worn out: self tearing (almost 5 years old)
    I will be replacing the chain (getting worn & not shifting well).
    Not enough miles for much else since the rebuild, the chain was carried over.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    That hurts to read, Brian....ouch!

I have one addition , but it's not really a winter loss...just timed with this thread and time of year.

I got new winter shoes this year (a great addition and the first pair of new cycling shoes I've purchased since 1998)....
    I put brand new SPD Cleats on the new winter shoes, and realized that I could hardly even clip them into any of my sets of pedals, because I had the adjustment on the pedals so stinking tight to compensate for the excessively worn cleats on the old shoes (yes, only 1 set of cleats ever on those shoes, also installed in 1998).

So I adjusted the pedals to go with the new cleats on the winter shoes...and now it's time to go back to the summer shoes...so I thought I'd install some new cleats on them (I have several pairs of cleats laying around from pedal purchases made since 1998)

well it's going to be impossible to remove those cleats without cutting them off, which seems like a pain...I stripped the heads of two of the allen bolts trying to get them loose. Also, one of the seams is starting to go... it needs stitching. also, one of the soles is getting really torn up just behind the cleat.

So, I did it... I ordered some new shoes. It's bitter sweet, I tell ya. I don't know how many pairs of laces I've been through on those things...at least 3 sets of insoles... mileage has to be somewhere around 30,000, figuring a conservative 2k per year.
    They cost me $35, so that's 857 miles per dollar.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 03-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rodar:

Negatory, mine was from the 60's. I have no clue what parts were original, but I have a feeling most of them, less the derailleurs, were. I can tell you for a fact that I've seen a Schwinn tandem with a simplex on it, and the parts were definitely original.

Brian:

Yipes, did you fare better than the bike?

weirdo
    ^^Sounds cool anyway.

CB, there`s hope for your shoes if you want to try. Drill into the screw heads with a bit slightly smaller than the threads, roughly the depth of the head`s thickness. Stripped allen heads work well to help you center the hole. Pop the heads off, and with no tension on the screw, you can often turn it back out with a "pointy thing" or grab with small pair of wire cutters. You stand a pretty good chance, actually.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Great thread! My winter riding is divided between two bikes:

1) my commuter SS.
    - 8 speed chain done for
    - ESI grips nearly worn out
    - two Basil side mount baskets bit the dust (rust)
    - about 5 aluminum nipples, replaced with brass
    - one rear disc rotor, got something caught in it that bent it
    - rear BB7 organic pads, replaced with sintered

The stainless Surly chainring, and stainless Shimano cog seem to last forever. Shimano UN73 BB similarly indestructible.

2) my Pugsley fat bike, this one has it easy , no salty streets, just snowy trails.
    - frame!!!! Suffered in infamous snow blind Pugsley seatstay to seattube failure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Brian: Yipes, did you fare better than the bike?
    First post after: How was your commute today? - Page 324

Second: How was your commute today? - Page 324

Third: How was your commute today? - Page 324

Culprit found: How was your commute today? - Page 325

Post with video: How was your commute today? - Page 326

Leg scrapes mostly shallow, two were two weeks healing. Twelve stitches to remove a bunch of deep catgut ones to dissolve on forehead, eyebrow and eyelid. Skin removed from forehead, right cheek and upper lip. Bone under brow is still a bit sore. Opened skull sutures but did not break my face. Braked *with* my face! Computer said 19 mph and I figure about 30 mph with the 'timber!" into the ground as my head is about 6' off the pavement heeled over like that. Whatever doesn't kill you... Real bad time for a my first front wheel blowout.

Simplex, memories: Had a black body one on the 1972 Raleigh Super Course. The springs anchor end dug into the plastic body, so a silver body one replaced it in 1980. Bike died in a car accident the next year. Mercian with Suntour Cyclones, now Campy Centaur replaced it.

CB Shoes: I stripped one set of sockets in the Sidis (dismounted them straight up in an emergency on my second ride and left the clips in the pedals), but a second and the adjustment worked, so even if the stud threaded parts remain frozen, there is still a chance you can get yourself a backup pair of shoes.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    I know I COULD drill them out and replace them...but it just seemed like it was time to move on. 15 years is a solid life for a pair of $35 shoes.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

2) my Pugsley fat bike, this one has it easy , no salty streets, just snowy trails.
    - frame!!!! Suffered in infamous snow blind Pugsley seatstay to seattube failure
    Have you contacted your shop about warranty replacement? I bought a snow blind pug assuming it would crack eventually. I'm actually hoping for sooner than later.

This thread is reminding me that I've worn out a lot more than I have mentioned.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Two chains
    One broken spoke
    Two sets of BB7 brake pads (one set front, one rear)
    One set of Showers Pass shoe covers

Rodar, I highly recommend the Park Tool chain checker. You can find this one for about ten bucks if you hunt around. It's very simple and fast to use, I give my chain a quick test every time I lube it. Changing your chain out when it starts to elongate from wear will extend the life of your cassette and rings quite a bit - and make for better shifting.

Park Tool Co. » CC-3.2 : Chain Wear Indicator : Chain

sheep in FOX clothing
    Other than my LCL, which I have "repaired", no real broken stuff this winter.

There is a water leak in my right MW80 shoe, but it's gonna have to make it a few more seasons anyways.

Chain will be replaced and fork rebuilt in April, but I'm supposed to do that winter riding or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast