Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Will this bike build work out OK?? Advice Please......

Steel MTB 29er frame with rigid Fork (frame will take disc brakes which is my preference)

700c rims (probably Shimano Ultegras) laced to a Alfine 8spd hub with schwalbe marathon plus tires.

Rapid Fire shifter for the Alfine, 1 ring on the front, unsure of teeth number at this stage?

Brakes - Disc.......open to suggestions here please.

Post, seat, BB, Cranks, Headset, stem, bars (flat), pedals to be decided - but just wanna know what yah thoughts are, and open to suggestions here also

Bike will be a dedicated commuter (I can get frame, fork and shimano stuff at cost) and will give me the option of a 29er Frame for the future if need be.

what say you??

weirdo
    I had a pre Alfine Nexus 8 for a few years. I think it would have been great in traffic- that thing about being able to shift while stopped doesn`t sound like much, but when I got used to it, it sure was nice! Probably my favorite thing about the IGH. The down side for me was that I really wanted more gear range. I had plenty for just my commute, but since I use the same bike for other stuff, the Nexus didn`t cut it. It`s also quite a bit heavier than a derailler setup, but that wasn`t a big deal for me, seeing as it was on a 40+ pound bike. I still have the wheel and I`m thinking about using it on another bike in conjunction with a double chainring a RD to take up chain slack- I still miss the shift while stopped capability

mtbr member
    sounds like it will be a beefy durable street weapon, it will fly. If you want to use it in all weather conditions, make sure you can mount full fenders on it, it makes a normally miserable ride far more pleasant.

For brakes you can't go wrong with cheap shimano hydraulics, they are pretty reliable and very low maintenance. BB7s if you want to go mechanical... though make sure you get a properly sealed cable system to keep the system operating smoothly. One of my main gripes with running mechanical discs on my commuter is that water always gets into cable housing and when temperatures go below freezing, the cable freezes up alot.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your comments.

My current commute, 25kms, is pretty much sitting in my large ring on the MTB and using 4-5 cogs on the rear..... hence the thinking of going for a IGH.

Nothing set in stone - just looking for good sound advice and reasoning -

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ktse - yeah, fenders are a definite requirement!!

right now I'm running nothing and getting full facial blast and @rse stripe by the time I'm home -

Freezing cables wont be an issue here, but leaning towards hydraulic set up - love the feel and response of XT on my full sus.....

weirdo
    I`ve never tried disc brakes. Tried @rse stripe, though. Didn`t like it so I bought fenders.

I Ride for Donuts
    I'm on a rigid 29er for commuting duties too...love it. I have the Schwalbe Big Apples (2.35). they soak up my bumpy dirt road nicely and roll fast on the street. Check out the Planet Bike 'Cascadia' 29er fenders.. they cover my 2.35's nicely. Is Rust a problem where you're at? If so you might consider aluminum over steel... mine is aluminum with a steel rigid fork. It was mostly a cost decision, but it's nice to not worry about moisture in the frame.

BB7 mechanical disc brakes by Avid are awesome and very adjustable with easy set-up. They are the standard for mechanicals. But if you're going with flat bars, you have hydraulic options... I've had two pairs of hayes hydraulics, and I've loved both sets. The commuter currently has BB7's, and the MTB has hayes 9's. Both zero maintenance and one finger wheel lock-up, good modulation, etc, etc. I like the 180 rotor size on both ends for the 29er. I have had a couple really sloppy freezing winters with the BB7's, and I've never experienced a cable freezing up. Good to go down to -3 F. Probably has a lot to do with housing and specifically the housing ends. I either got lucky or I'm good at setting up a sealed brake cable housing.

I'm running drop bars with cheap Tektro levers operating "mountain" BB7's...they have 'road' and 'mountain' varieties, but I dont' think it matters much...tiny difference in lever throw, maybe. No problems with the 'mountain' variety on my road levers. If you think you might want to try a drop bar at some point, I'd go BB7's so you can use a cheap road lever and not have to worry about a hydraulic set-up. I'm a mountain biker, but I love the hand position options of the road bar for the commute. I take it on singletrack all the time too...no big deal.

I use SPD clipless and stash work shoes at work. It's totally woth going clipless if you're not already doing it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Up until this week I was using a SS rigid 29er MTB for my commuting with 2.2 tires. I just bought a new bike with discs and an Alfine 8 hub. This Giant Seek is leaps and bounds better for what I do. However... the gear selection on the hub is awful, and you would think Shimano could do better. The cheaper disc brakes don't hold a candle to my XT V-Brakes on my mountain bike. But I won't be riding my MTB much anymore regardless.

The things I'd like to change on my new steed would be in no particular order.
    Brakes, probably BB7 with SL levers.
    Fork, carbon of some kind to take the edge off the road.
    Grips, flat bar, and barends.

Then I'd be happy...for at least another month. :-)

mtbr member
    OK - thanks once again.

New build ideas and options are exciting!!

Can I Lace a MTB front hub with disc mounts to a road rim??

Moderator Moderator
    My BB7 (front only) has been trouble free in all weather as well. I probably could have paid to have a rear disc tab welded on my old Ti frame by now with the $ I've spent replacing the rear V brake pads.

I love the Time ATAC pedals when I go clipless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbitSlims
    OK - thanks once again.

New build ideas and options are exciting!!

Can I Lace a MTB front hub with disc mounts to a road rim??
    Yep, you can.

mtbr member
    Cool -

I'm thinking Shimano cranks, spd pedals, hubs and rims - mainly b/c i get good pricing.

Schwalbe tires, slick and maybe btwn 28 - 33mm?? are Marathons the way to go here?

King Headset, unsure on post, stem and bars.

Would it be stoopid to put Carbon post and bars on a steel frame with rigid fork?? - I've ridden a steel frame with rigid in the past and I thought it was a bit harsh.....especially up and down foot paths, driveways etc, would carbon post and bars "soften" things up??

I Ride for Donuts
    I have a carbon post on my aluminum hardtail, and I don't think it makes the slightest bit of difference. Could be steel, could be aluminum... no one could ever tell the difference. Carbon looks cooler though.

I've read negative comments about King headsets on 29ers... something about how they don't use compression rings and tend to loosen over time due to the greater forces at work with the longer fork, etc, etc... Some people claim Cane Creeks work better on 29ers because of the compression ring. I've never had a king do that....but I do have a cane creek on both my 29ers and I've never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Thanks CommuterBoy.

Apart from the price of the goods......that's the fist negative comment I've ever read of CK components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I went from a steel fork to carbon on my 29er and I could immediately tell a difference. Much smoother.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Ive heard the same thing about CK with 29ers, you may want to stick with a Canecreek headset.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    That's disappointing!

Almost as disappointing to read on another bike forum that one of you FAV riders is quite possibly doping to win the spring classics in europe!!?? - who would have thunk it??

I'm almost quite prepared to go out on a limb, whack a CK headset on this build and prove you all wrong -

Updates and progress will be disclosed.

ATB.

Just Ride!
    I really can't see you needing disc brakes on a commuter unless you ride in snow often. I ran my 29er on XTR vee brakes for many years. I switched to Avid mechanical disc and found out quickly that there was less stopping power and that I only ride in snow a handful of times per year.

I Ride for Donuts
    Everyone needs disc brakes on everything, always . There is no argument for not running discs.

You'll probably be fine forever with a CK headset... one in 1000 probably came loose and the internet exploded about it.

On the carbon fork... yes, I've run a carbon fork on an aluminum hardtail, and I immediately noticed the difference...I switched from a steel fork. But I have also switched from aluminum to carbon seatposts on a couple different bikes, and there was no noticeable difference whatsoever... Maybe I just have an insensitive a**.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Everyone needs disc brakes on everything, always . There is no argument for not running discs.

You'll probably be fine forever with a CK headset... one in 1000 probably came loose and the internet exploded about it.

On the carbon fork... yes, I've run a carbon fork on an aluminum hardtail, and I immediately noticed the difference...I switched from a steel fork. But I have also switched from aluminum to carbon seatposts on a couple different bikes, and there was no noticeable difference whatsoever... Maybe I just have an insensitive a**.
    My wife says I am.

weirdo
    THERE IS NO ARGUMENT FOR NOT RUNNING DISCS.

(unless you`re me and you like buying awesome, lightweight, indestructable rim brakes for a grand total of about $50 per bike including calpiers and levers and you don`t want to learn a whole new skillset and replace all your wheels)

I Ride for Donuts
    C'mon, rodar, EVERYONE wants new wheels.

mtbr member
    THERE IS NO ARGUMENT FOR NOT RUNNING DISCS.

I agree if I was building up a new bike. I have a nice tapered old classic steel road fork, so my workaround was a drum brake hub, about the same weight with a 1" steerer disc-mount steel Cross fork, dyno hub, BB7, and assorted bits, $200 cheaper, and kept the nice riding fork. I like the weather independent braking and yes it is 1 finger, to lock it up, too. So I consider it my 'Ghetto Disc'. YMMV.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    C'mon, rodar, EVERYONE wants new wheels.
    You do have a point there.

mtbr member
    well, the ways it's looking right now.........it will be cheaper for me to buy a complete bike from my mates shop, strip some of the unwanted parts and sell them, and then build up from there.

here is the bike: - with Avid Juicy 3 brakes etc

http://www.avantibikes.com/single-sp...9.aspx?bid=359

Comments, opinions, theories, questions and queries all welcome -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast