mtbr member
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pretty crazy close call! from the pictures that's one of the scariest shoulders i've seen, what's the speed limit on that road?

mtbr member
    Speed limit is 60mph!

That extremely narrow shoulder only runs the length of that hill...about 2 miles. The rest of that highway between Colorado Springs and Penrose has a very generous 10 - 12ft shoulder on both sides of the road.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mighty sailin' man
    First, glad your OK. That's way to close...

I've been thinking about riding on the left a lot lately. We've had several incidents with drivers texting in my area and I just think it makes to much sense to ride facing traffic so I can see what the driver is up to and maybe have time to react. At least I could look them in the eye as they drove over me.

I can think of a many reasons why I should and only one (law) why I shouldn't.

be careful...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    From the way you describe it, and the pictures, it sounds like the trucker likely took his eye off the road momentarily watching you climb the hill on the opposite side, and ended up drifting off the road (and very narrow shoulder), digging into the grass, before losing control and rolling the truck down the embankment.

mtbr member
    Yeah...that makes sense...couldn't possibly be driver error.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why is there 10 feet or so of shoulder on one side of the road and none on the other? Write to the highway department and get the stripes moved so there is shoulder on both sides. Cite the cement truck wreck and the lack of room for error as a valid reason for this. You may save someone else's life if you can get some traction on this issue. You may want to see if you can involve groups like the League of American Wheelmen or local riding groups as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    Why is there 10 feet or so of shoulder on one side of the road and none on the other? Write to the highway department and get the stripes moved so there is shoulder on both sides. Cite the cement truck wreck and the lack of room for error as a valid reason for this. You may save someone else's life if you can get some traction on this issue. You may want to see if you can involve groups like the League of American Wheelmen or local riding groups as well.
    Or to make it cheaper, turn the huge shoulder into a 2 lane bike road. Just a thought

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Now that I've seen the pics....

that just doesn't make any sense! That huge shoulder on one side and zip on the other. Makes you wonder what the DOT engineers were thinking, or what the guys that paint the lines on the road were drinking! Maybe the Colorado DOT needs to get an email or two about it. The road surface would obviously easily support two traffic lanes and two nice wide shoulders on each side. Who knows, perhaps it has something to do with the grade. Eh, sure makes you wonder though. Glad you're alright, and glad the drivers okay too. That would be pretty scarry.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    glad youre alive, thanks for sharing. wow that is bad civil engineering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think I know that area... even scary in a vehicle at times!

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    So, how did the driver manage to do that on such a straight road? Nod off? talking of phone? I don't get why some people find it so hard to stay between the lines.

mtbr member
    DANG.. I was thinkin of doing that ride soon.. now I don't know.. there seems to be a lot of accidents!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Holy moly! It just proves that you should always trust your instinct, even if it means breaking the law. Your own life is more important than a ticket anyway.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    WOW... congrats on the decision. That is way too close IMO.

We also have some really goofy roads around here like that. Drives me nuts.