Thread: wide handlebar

mtbr member

wide handlebar

I'm usually more of a mountain bike than a commuter...
    my trail/am bike got a 737mm wide bar and my downhill bike a 750mm wide bar

my commuter bike is a opus capriccio, a fast hybrid type bike with a 100mm stem and a flat 23''(584mm) wide handlebar and bar ends.

its still winter here so i'm toying with my bikes setups and i end up with a non used 90mm thomson x4stem with a 27.5''(698mm) wide low rise easton handlebar available.

anyone running a wide bar for commuting?
    any negative aspect of using my wider bars and shorter stem other than clearance between cars?(like confort, position etc)
    Last edited by tartosuc; 03-23-2011 at 05:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm running a 680mm bar on my winter commuter (Pugsley). I prefer wide bars on all of my bikes though, commuter or not.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Narrower bars on commuter makes for a very responsive, laser-dialed ride. My MTB on the other hand, has 675mm wide bars for confidence and control on steep descents. The commuter has 580mm bars and the twitchy steering response is great for those snap adjustments needed, when dealing with cars and other street obstacles.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Fat-tired Roadie
    I find wide bars less comfortable. My MTB gets about a 22.5" bar. My commuter's a road bike, so not really comparable. I also find flat bars in general less comfortable than drops, so I don't really use them unless it's for mountain biking.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Moderator Moderator
    I have a wide riser bar on my winter commuter/summer trail bike - but not sure how wide. The biggest disadvantage is probably a bit more wind resistance from the wider stance. But I like the wide bar for a few reasons: it opens up your chest for breathing easier; it feels more powerful to me, like when taking off from a light, and; I don't have to change it when trail season starts. My old MTB had skinny flat bars, and it only seemed advantageous to me in the trees.