Moderator Moderator

Why does he ride 42 mi to work? Google it

mtbr member
    From the article I can't tell if it's 42mi one-way or not? It sortof strongly implies that it is? But that would be 4 hours of riding a day, which sounds kindof nice, but also kindof dumb. That doesn't leave much time for mountain-biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just checked, and there isn't a way to go between San Fran proper and Mountain View in the 2x mile range, so I have to assume that is one-way.

Also, love how the article talks about his fixie without "breaks." Where are those copy editors?!

mtbr member
    ^ thanks, I'm not familiar enough with CA that I could check that.

So then, it's a nice article. But not one question about the fact that he spends 4 hours a day commuting?

Sometime I'll spend 2 hours a day, but that includes a lot of goofing around and plenty of trail time. If I was at the 4 hour mark for just spinning along on a roadbike, I'd move.

mtbr member
    If he drove, it would probably be 1.5 to 2 hours. I would rather ride for 4 than drive for 2. Personally, I live 3 miles from work and ride in the long way fairly often.

mtbr member
    Reading his blog, it is clear that he is, A: not doing the 42 mile bike commute every day, B:uses many forms of multi-modal commuting.

Can't say I'm terribly impressed with the reporting. It seems a bit like the author was trying to misrepresent the facts a bit.

That said, I wish I had all the different commute options that he has up here in AK!

mtbr member
    ^ thanks for the investigative journalism. The article pretty clearly says every day, which would be an awful lot of time on the bike (even speaking as someone who likes spending a lot of time on the bike).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looks like it's more like he rides to the end of the block to get to the bus stop, then rides from where the bus drops him off near work. Then, the grand finale is the whopping 10 minute ride from the office to the train depot and another 10 minutes from the train depot to his house after a 40 minute train ride. It sure looks like that article has more wrong than right.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I checked out the blog too after blockphi mentioned it, and that article is really, incredibly wrong. I was picturing some carbon and spandex hardcore roadie, but it looks like he actually uses a retro steel commuter with a front rack.

I remember another article about a guy in NY who commutes 50mi each way. That article was totally upfront about the fact that he does it once or twice a week, stops for breakfast on the way, and has an apartment at the other end so he doesn't have to ride home.

mtbr member
    4 hours...I don't think so....thats 12mph.....I would think anyone in shape could do 42 miles in two hrs or less...most people would average 17-21mph...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    4 hours...I don't think so....thats 12mph.....I would think anyone in shape could do 42 miles in two hrs or less...most people would average 17-21mph...
    It's 42 miles one way. That means 4 hours a day. Except for the newly exposed bus/train riding part.

mtbr member
    My bad....so true...

Moderator Moderator
    Sadly, at my former office, when I usually took the bus 12 out of 24 miles on the way in, and 20 out of 24 miles on the way home (15 miles biking RT), it did take nearly that long, between pedaling, waiting for the bus, transferring, and the 4 miles being 1000'+ vert uphill. It is a commitment, even if you are not pedaling the whole way. Having seen a lot of news stories where I know the real story, sadly I am not surprised at the journalist's standards.

mtbr member
    I agree that it is a commitment. I ride 38 miles by bus with 3 by bike before and after the bus segment each day and to make that work I have to be up and out the door by 4:45 in the morning and I don't get back until 5:45 each evening generally in order to support my 4X10 schedule. It takes a lot, but that's still much different than biking 42 miles a day one way. I don't know how long someone could do that...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    From the latest post on his blog: "

"The "Baby Bullet" train is ~40 minutes station-to-station with ~10-minute bike rides on either end bringing my door-to-door time to about 60 minutes (guaranteed) and giving me an hour of my life back."

This guy is not riding 84 miles per day. He's riding 20 mins per day by his own admission.

Which makes sense - Google folks put in crazy hours. He doesn't have 4 hours a day to ride.

The article is a joke.

mtbr member
    Depends on what you are riding and the terrain. I'm happy with 12mph on a heavy converted MTB, riding pretty upright, through hilly terrain.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

I always bleed like this.
    I have a 26 mile ride home I take that is a 70/30 mix of MUT and road. On the MUT I average 19-21 mph depending upon the traffic and on the road I have at least five lights and five stop signs. My best time is above 1:24:00. I would be close to three hours pushing hard for 42 miles under these conditions. It all depends on the roads and traffic.
    Either way I hope he has a shower at work.