Why do you commute?

What inspires you do bike commute? The following reasons are NOT ALLOWED:

Money
    Environment
    Health
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Weather - it's a little strange but I love being out in the weather & in tune with it. People just don't spend enough time outside anymore.

Fun

Feeling of accomplishment.

It keeps me out of trouble.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Since the reason I commute (physical and mental health) is not allowed, I am not going to answer.

Frys With That, Please
    Mental health.

Physical health.

All the rest of the reasons follow.
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    because i want to.
    on my grumpiest most lead-legged day, i still choose to ride my bike.
    oh, and oddly enough it's faster than motorized transport in downtown traffic.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Cycle commuting is many things to me. The challenge of organizing ones time, personal belongings, and riding multiple places in order to accomplish daily tasks are only a few reasons I commute by bike.

Cycle commuting helps me appreciate the "simple" in life. Eating meals from home instead of rushing out to grab a bite. Allowing more time to get from point 'A' to point 'B'. Appreciating the bike route, as it is always different than that of a auto mobile route. Accepting the weather for what it is and using optimism in order over come the harsh days.

All of the above hold true, but the main reason I commute by bike is that I love to ride. With a demanding schedule sometimes all the riding I get to do in a day is my commute, and most of the time the commute is what I need to keep a clear head and continue to be nice to people.

I sold my car back in November, and though I have a car to use when needed I have set goals to commute by bike when ever possible. I am fortunate enough to live in a small town with a bike friendly community. In my opinion I would be foolish not to commute by bike.

Commuting on the daily is physically taxing, but also physically, mentally and financially rewarding. Those who read this most likely already know what I am talking about, but if what I speak of in this post seems foreign to you.......maybe you should commute by bike and see for yourself.

Ride safe, have fun.

BFE

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well my main reason to start riding into campus was it was faster than walking or riding the bus, but I've come to find out I just enjoy it to be honest.

mtbr member
    For a few years I had a 1/2 hour walk to work, and was amazed how much better life was without rushhour. But then I switched to a new job that was too far to walk, and there was absolutely no way I would go back to driving. Now after 2 years of cycling I just do it because I'm addicted.

(and we sold our second car a few months ago, so I don't have much choice anymore. )

I Ride for Donuts
    I love riding my bike and I have a busy life. It's the only way to get enough bike time. My escape, my motivation, my sanity, my 'me time', my decompression, my chance to slow down and take it all in, my chance to relieve stress, and my self-discipline are all wrapped up somehow in riding my bike to work.

I don't understand why everyone who lives a reasonable distance from work doesn't do this. A million positives and zero negatives.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My commute can be 3.5 or 8 mi one way from home depending on assignment, split 80/20. Why the heck not? I'm by no means car free or even "car-light" but I really don't the idea of driving to work. Driving is a hell of a lot faster be it 3 or 8 mi but it's not something I want to do. I'd rather take the bus.

Even though driving is faster, I find that driving to work can be quite stressful. Add the fact that my car is a stick shift and it's not much fun at all. Bus takes longer, but I find it less stressful because I am mostly insulated from the stress of driving during commute hours; although the SF bus system does leave a lot to be desired. Biking to work is just a rush; something I use to wake me up in the morning.

When I have a 8 mi commute, driving takes 35 min, the bus takes about 50 minutes which is about the same as bike in the morning. Evening, it's 40-45 min drive, 70 min by bus or 50-55 min by bike.

When I have 3 mi commute, driving takes about 15 min, bus takes 35 min, and bike is about 20. Trip times in the evening and morning are the same. Bike time is disproportional because here the last 0.5 mi is a 300ft climb which I have to do in 26-32 gear combination. Bus is slower because I have a 1/4-1/3 mi walk at each end and this bus travels through resi areas and the other site I ride an express bus to the business district. (San Francisco's bus system is very downtown/business district oriented.)
    Last edited by jseko; 04-07-2011 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Because chicks dig it.
    Because no one else around here does it.
    Because I hate my car.
    Because I like pedaling past others' cars.
    Because it helps to further differentiate me from my useless coworkers.
    Because of the looks I get from my crackhead neighbors.
    Because it's seriously dangerous where I live.
    Because my middle finger isn't obstructed by metal and glass.
    Because the roads are mostly empty on the ride home, and sometimes I can almost hear myself think!
    Because I'm tired, in pain, soaking wet, choking down a tall glass of exhaust, and I just got cut off and bunny-hopped a man-sized pothole onto a patch of broken Heinekens. But one thing's for sure: in a town overrun by drooling, frighteningly mindless zombies, one man lives!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    The following reasons are NOT ALLOWED:
    Well, I was going to point out that after disallowing those three, pretty much the only option was that it`s fun.

But then I read DubDub`s post.
    Whole bunches of good reasons. Though most of them don`t apply to me, I loved reading them. Especially about the unobstructed bird
    Fly, Free Bird, Yeah!

nocturnal oblivion
    "Because it's there"
    -Edmund Hilary
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Looking for an original answer? How about this: To avoid measels:

http://www.edownhillmountainbikes.co...ubzero-cycling

Also, time, less hassle, and the glory of being outdoors and getting some exercise, and zipping past cars stuck in perpetual traffic, and crowded trolleys that can't fit another person. It is the only sane way to get to work, even when it's raining or below zero.
    Last edited by macgyverdh; 04-08-2011 at 04:38 AM.
    Check out this short fun blog on downhill mountain bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Some seriously good answers here, I love it!

Besides the obvious, and ones mentioned by others, I think its the ability to interact with the community. Now that spring has rustled the natives, I encounter many more joggers, walkers, and cyclists around town. The simple head nod, bell ring, or "mornin!" shared with others is something beautiful that cannot be felt or expressed by those in a car.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    'Cause I just can't be bothered to turn an ignition key?

Neighbors say it is because of a LACK of mental health!

Because I feel like a kid every time I coast out the lane. If that's nuts, I don't want sanity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well I started out doing because I wanted to lose some weight.

Then I did it just to be able to get a ride in. I found that my free time for my passion of riding my 29er off road was being compromised by family obligations. I found I can have almost as much fun dragging my daughter around in her little trailer as riding my 29er...almost. So I can ride everyday as a work-at-home, stay-at-home, dad with my pre-schooler and my kindergartner. The only downfall is I really MISS the desert and the screaming down hills and the lung searing climbs. I still get the lung searing climbs when I pull 60 to 100 pounds up a few of our foothill roads out here, but it's not the same as rocky technical climb. :-)

And now I'm in a phase where I do it to be different. I know that I ride by the same cages every day. I know those drivers look at me and wonder what the hell I'm doing dragging a kid trailer around when it's 105 degrees out in the dead of summer, or when it occasionally rains. I deep down hope that they see me and think, "Hey that looks like fun", and then they maybe get out and try it themselves. Maybe, just maybe somewhere in that mad rush of smog throwing gas guzzlers, someone, anyone can get out of their comfortable cocoon, and make a difference like all of us do here. One life, one bike at a time, massive change in our society.

Ask me again next year and my answer will no doubt be different. It's life, and it's full of changes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    It makes the big kid in me ENORMOUS

mtbr member
    I ride there fore I am

and because of everything DubDubMF said...
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I originally started commuting as a justification to buy a new bike.

I continue to commute because I would feel bad that I spent the money and didn't ride. That and the whole killing two birds with one stone thing - not enough time to ride.

mtbr member

+1 non-zombie

I think conveniences of modern living sicken our perspective on reality and the human experience. They sicken our body, mind, and spirit. It is a subtle foe, culturally accepted norms that are really not healthy. For example, the food we eat is accepted as food when most of it is actually it is toxic poison. Another example, doctors have come up with a common term, "overuse injury." I think they are actually a result of underuse. What do you think is going to happen when you sit in a chair all week and then try to do normal human physical activities on a Saterday?

In relation to transportation I have come up with a priority level that I think is in reality more in balance with healthy human transit. This is how I strive to prioritize my transportation needs,

1) Walking
    2) Cycling
    3) Non human powered forms of transportation
    Bearchaser

-"The American Revolution is alive and well in the hearts of the non-zombies"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Because I can.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by John Muir:

"Most people are on the world, not in it-- having no conscious sympathy or relationship to anything about them-- undiffused seporate, and rigidly alone like marbles of polished stone, touching but seporate."
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by partydollagogo
    I think conveniences of modern living sicken our perspective on reality and the human experience. They sicken our body, mind, and spirit. It is a subtle foe, culturally accepted norms that are really not healthy. For example, the food we eat is accepted as food when most of it is actually it is toxic poison. Another example, doctors have come up with a common term, "overuse injury." I think they are actually a result of underuse. What do you think is going to happen when you sit in a chair all week and then try to do normal human physical activities on a Saturday?
    If you get the chance partydoll, there's a book called "In Defense of Food". It's outstanding and is right along the lines of what you're saying: What is accepted as food nowadays is not food! All we need now is for someone to write one called: "In Defense of not being Convenience Addicted Consumer Whores."
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    It be fun
    :wq

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast