Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why did you start commuting?

Like the thread title says, why did you start?

For me, it was financial, theological, and moral. In that order.

So, what about you?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Why did you start commuting?

It was a way for me to get two hours of riding in a day without taking up two hours of time I could be spending with my family.

My commute via driving takes about 30 minutes each way so now I get two hours of riding while only adding 1 hour to my commute.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Originally it was due to blowing the engine in the vehicle I had at the time and being to frugal to take the bus when I had a bike already. Now its become a backup option and/or if I feel like doing it

mtbr member
    Started when a judge told me not to drive or a certain amount of time. Now I do it because I love it, feels great in the am and is a good way to get some stress out after work.
    I also feel a little guilty that my Suv is huge gas guzzler, I feel if I commute and run most errands on my bike, when the time comes, I can floor it all over town and not feel guilty.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    This is exactly why I starting to commute to work, I have a 15 mile commute into work and the weather has cooled off enough to actually enjoy the ride now. Not to mention the gas money and wear and tear on my vehicle.

I Ride for Donuts
    Best way to get saddle time in busy life
    ...turned into self-imposed challenge to make it through winter
    ...turned into best way to get some sanity time
    ...turned into necessary decompression time
    ...turned into the new normal.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I started riding to work because I like riding. Sometimes it's a good way to get miles when time is tight. It saves on gas and wear&tear on the car. It has been a big part of my cancer recovery. 9 mo of steroids caused me to pack on the pounds and turning the pedals helped me work them off.

mtbr member
    I started when I moved from South Dakota to Anchorage Alaska and sold our second car. I needed to get to and from work while my wife needed a car to run the kids to their various activities and such. It was a self-imposed attempt to simplify my life in some small way. By the time the first winter was about half way done I was hooked. Honestly, when we moved here I fully expected that I'd get a cheap car and would end up driving to work, but I found that the ride made me feel better about myself, gave me time to get away from work at the end of the day, and gave me a decent workout on a daily basis.

I'd say money had something to do with it, but it doesn't feel that way when it seems like I am always buying parts for the bike to keep it running.

Moderator Moderator
    I started regularly when I was between cars for a couple months, starting in November in VT. The need to get to work, a certain amount of stubbornness, and no car, were my gateway drug. Now seriously addicted.

mtbr member

Why did you start commuting?

I started after I decided to sell my truck to catch up on some bills and to become more self reliant. The idea of relying on others to do for me when I can do for myself doesn't sit well, and I got sick of it.

It's since become an obsession.

blet drive
    For me it was the joy of pedaling and the fresh air. Then I realized how much gas I could save with one car and a wife and three kids at home. Now it has just become a prt of my daily routine. I'm looking to do my first full winter with out missing a day. We will see.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

weirdo
    I had some extra cash I needed to blow, thought that new gloves, lights, a string of different tires, and a few racks/bags would be a good way to lighten my load.

Just kidding. Sorta. Actually I think it was nice days that made me want to bike commute- it`s been a long time and my memory is foggy.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    When gas went up last year I had enough of paying the oil companys and said enough is enough. I was spending $40 a week on fuel, now down to $40 or less a month and some months $0.00 on fuel, not to mention less wear and tear on my car. This also includes my motorcycles, I hardly ride them (3) anymore. I still drive when I really need to but not to often. I commute 25 miles round trip and sometimes twice a day, and have been averaging between 150 - 200 miles a week on my bicycles.

mtbr member
    Had a half hour walk to work for a couple of years. Switched jobs, and wasn't about to go back to driving.

mtbr member
    I loved riding bike. So I got a classic 10 speed (2 x 5 this is long before 10 cog clusters) new in 1972. Rode it to distant classes and off-campus as an undergrad. I suspect I was addicted to the endorphins or the grin I got. I would do a lap of the ring road to justify using it to go to a closer class. Fun riding in a 25 mph zone with the cars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I changed jobs, love riding and driving 5 miles makes me angry, stupid and lazy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My total commute distance is 50 miles. Quite a stretch! The first 30 miles are o.k. by car (finest German autobahn) but for the remainder 20 miles I would have to cross town. And this is pure horror by car. Therefore, I have my bike in the trunk and ride those 20 miles. For the most part on vey good dedicated bike lanes.

This allows me to live in one of the nicest spots of the world but to work in the big city and still get my daily routine of cycling.

I don't have any moral sentiments regarding bike commuting. Just can't stand driving car in a city or spending to much time in car. And I can't really see how I save lots of money. quite to the contrary. My bike commuting is a constant drain for money. In order to do it year round it takes some investments.

mtbr member
    I'm an injured runner looking to get my exercise fix.
    I'm leasing my car and only have a certain number of miles on it.
    I'm always looking for a way to increase my time outside.

And then the obvious saves money, saves gas, better for the environment, less wear and tear on my car, etc, etc.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Originally, because I didn't want to be dependant on the bus. I was fourteen, so I couldn't drive at the time.

At different times, it's been about convenience, speed and sneaking some riding into my day. I think it has occasionally saved me money, though most recently I had a bus pass whether I wanted it or not. Now, I drive a really long way to work. Oh well, nothing is forever.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    I'm an injured runner looking to get my exercise fix.
    I forgot about that (since I haven't run in 5+ years now), but it's true for me too. Loved running, but hated running on the treadmill to save my knees. Love riding, but haaaaaaate stationary bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    yeep, same story with running. Used to be an ardent mountain runner, twisted my ankle many years ago, still feeling pain after running. Now I'm a bike commuter. Well ....

For sentimental reasons, this used to be my hometrail for running. It starts just behind my house:

Why did you start commuting?-dsc_0184.jpg

and this is typical for my bike commute ... well, well, well ...

Why did you start commuting?-img_0240_1_2_tunnel_bearbeitet-1.jpg

mtbr member
    It allows me to ride without spending as much time riding. Instead of spending an hour commuting in my car everyday, I can spend 2 hours commuting on my bike. I get 2 hours of riding time with only 1 hour of extra time taken out of my day. On days when I'm really busy, I can take a shorter route and instead of 1 hour, it's 1.5 hours, only an extra 30 minutes spent.

It's partially the "green" in me, though I'm certainly no environmental saint, my Jeep gets 17mpg!

Last but not least, it's because I enjoy it. I love riding, I'd rather be on my bike than sitting in my car in traffic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I forgot about that (since I haven't run in 5+ years now), but it's true for me too. Loved running, but hated running on the treadmill to save my knees. Love riding, but haaaaaaate stationary bikes.
    I tried a trainer last winter for my bike. Horrible contraption. I have no idea how people can do that. I went insane after 20 minutes. I need to be outside.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In my younger years I was riding road/cyclocross at national elite level. Our coach was a former East-German national coach. In winter he made us ride indoor facing a blank white wall. He called it "character building". "Learn to deal with pain"

Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    I tried a trainer last winter for my bike. Horrible contraption. I have no idea how people can do that. I went insane after 20 minutes. I need to be outside.
    I still have the trainer I bought when I was going through recovery. It was vital for my fitness/sanity. My balance was garbage and I wasn't allowed to let my HR get over 150bpm. I rode with a HRM in the house in front of the TV. It was boring, but outside wasn't an option. When I was finally allowed to go outside and my balance was good enough to stay upright, commuting was my gateway to mtb fitness. I still wasn't allowed on mtb trails yet. I actually enjoyed bike commuting so I still do it. It's not a daily thing for me now, though. Mostly because of my work situation ATM.

Financial differences are pretty tough to list out comprehensively and come up with which is cheaper in the long run. You don't buy gas, but by riding everywhere you wind up eating more. You don't spend as much on auto maintenance, but you gain bike maintenance tasks. You add clothing and gear suitable for the weather you ride in (hot, cold, rain, snow). If you keep the car, you don't really lose monthly payments from the loan or insurance. You have to ditch a car for that. Thankfully, my car is paid off, so I'm only paying insurance/registration on it. Riding makes you healthier which results in fewer health problems in the long run.

For a 6mi RT commute onto a college campus where I could park in my office, biking almost daily definitely was cheaper for me when I started. Now, with a 44mi RT commute, not so much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast