mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Why adding 6350 grams to my bike made me happy

Being a daily commuter in search of the ideal everyday bike, I just wrote this article about adding weight to my bike - and why that's not such a bad thing at all.

My Civia Hyland is a lot heavier than my previous hybrid, but man - so much more useful! This shot was taken today, after picking up a pair of skis for my daughter.

Have a look at more photos and the story here:
    http://bysykling.posterous.com/why-a...e-made-me-happ

Cheers,
    Geir Anders, Oslo, Norway
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why adding 6350 grams to my bike made me happy-civiahyland-skis1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    I am reminded that some weight additions to bikes make me happy every time I put my nearly 100 kg in the saddle and launch on another adventure! What we need in and from a bike changes over time and with application. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    I am reminded that some weight additions to bikes make me happy every time I put my nearly 100 kg in the saddle and launch on another adventure!
    Good one, Brian!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OOH, how do you like that Suntour seatpost? That's on my list among other things.

Also, what front rack/basket is that?

Never mind. All my questions were answered in your link.

Frt Range, CO
    Nice bike, what happened to the chain guard? Did you remove it to save weight

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Good read!
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi Pursuiter, sorry the late reply - been away the last week.

I do have a Civia chain guard lying ready in my parts bin. I just didn't get around to install it when I first built up the frame and was eager to get the bike on the road. And after a little while I realized that it maybe wasn't that much of a necessity? No marks on my pant legs so far, no snagging - that's why I just left it there. This bike is all about practicality, and the moment I feel like I need that guard; it will be there very soon.

mtbr member
    With a single chainwheel covered in chain, pant cuff snags aren't likely. If you ride blue jeans, I'd leave it off, too. If you plan on wearing a pair of light or white pants, especially if brand new (seems to increase the risk: tempting fate? ), it might be time to put it on.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Too true, must be a Murphy's Law corrolary. Sometimes I bring my bike to work by car and if I am tempted to ride from the far flung parking lot to my office in work clothes I am usually sorry.