mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Who litters a wirehanger?!

Riding to a friends before work and I was crossing the freeway overpass in the bike lane when I heard a clank and my rear end locked. Being in an intersection I hop off really fast and move my bike. Get it off, flip it over, and a W#$##$ hanger was stuck in the chains, which then ripped my derailer in half breaking it apart.

On top of this, when the frigen rear tire locked my foot slipped and got raked by the pedals pretty good and I got thrown off the seat pretty hard.

Leaving for the LBS here in a second to have them put a new slightly upgraded derailer on..

*sigh* this sucks.

Derailer's extra gear thingy bent to hell.

Thats the derailer it self. Note, the words are suppose to be facing you.

Sorry about low-res photos. Camera and all.

bleh

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I guess the positive note in this is that it didn't break your derailleur hanger which in my case would mean buying a new frame.

Enjoy your upgrade.

I'm SUCH a square....
    It only takes most people one thing like this to catch the commuter's first law:
    "Thou shalt pay attention to thy path, for to avoid debris is to avoid disaster."
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ya I thought about that

Right after it happened I thought "Once I post this.. someone is gonna say "You're going to make this mistake only once."

I just finished putting the new derailleur on. Went with a shimano delore(sp?) XT Shadow. I figured i'd buy myself a present to feel better.

I gotta tune it in still, but she rides perfect at 2f 4r right now. Its the 8r and 1r that are giving me a little bit of issues..

oh wells

I'm SUCH a square....
    It's all part of the experience, don't sweat it. It just hit you a bit harder.
    BTW, it's 'deore', but just say XT Shadow, we'll know....
    Sounds like you need to look at the limit screws (two small screws on the der. body that control HOW FAR at each end of the gear cluster the der. can go; ease 'em out a bit, and keep tuning it until it's butter).
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks bigpedaler. I found some links shortly after that post about tuning it. I spent about 45 minutes working on it. Its shifting pretty nice but I still need to spend more time. I rode it to work either way today. The gear didn't have any extra stress on it from what I could tell.. so i rode her in and everything went awesome.

And ya, it really is part of the experience. I hung my smashed derailleur in my living room

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't adjust out the travel too far lest you throw your chain off one side or the other of the cluster. A friend was following me the other day on his department store Diamond Back and I noticed he wasn't behind me any more. I stopped and waited and when he caught up, he told me his chain dropped off his smallest sprocket and jammed between that and the frame. Classic bad bike setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interesting.. right now it doesn't go to the smallest or largest very well. So I should set it to just smoothly go there, and don't let it go any further basically? I might take it to the LBS and let them do it.
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Maybe new bikes are better about this but I've always been of the opinion that cross gears were a bad idea. For example, (F-R) 1-9 and 3-1. Your chain is forced to bend at a funny angle when you run like this...and typically, nearly the same gear ratio can be had running in the middle front chainring.

I've always adjusted so I could hit all the sprockets while on the center chainring without any noise or rubbing. When in the big or little chainrings, you can only hope to hit maybe 4 of the rear sprockets without rubbing on your front derailleur cage or flexing your chain. I don't know for sure but I suspect putting a load on a crossed up chain is a bad thing too.

Another thing, think about how much chain slack you have. If you are running big front-big rear, your chain will be very tight and your rear derailleur will be flexed all the way forward to compensate. The opposite is also true...if you run on a 28T front and a 12T rear, your chain will be very loose. I don't know that this is a problem but in offroad situations, I know a really loose chain can be sucked up around the chainstay or just thrown off.

Again, this is based on work I did on bikes probably 12 years ago. Newer equipment may work better than my old relics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You probably saw this but I'll drop it in here anyway.

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A very intresting post Tweezak I have always kept gears in the basically the same idea. I was actually trying to decide what point of something like 1F and 8R would be. At that point in time 2F 6R or something is about the same. I'm too lazy to do the actual math.. anyways. I normally ride around 2F 4R, occassionaly going to 2F 2R to 2F 7R when commuting. Going downhill or something I've gone to 3F 6R, and a few times climbing up something I go to 1F 3R.

I was doing the adjustment on 2F anyways.

Thanks for the video btw, I am watching it here in a minute. I get off work in about 8 hours, so I might do it tommorow morning. Appreciate the advice
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No need to do math!

Sheldon Brown (RIP) did all the work for you: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

I am continually amazed by the pages that man put together. I hope he's enjoying the eternal sunny weather and endless downhills where he's at now.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    That's ok, it just gave you a reason to upgrade that Alivia...lol
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!