View Poll Results: How far are you willing to go to commute on bicycle???

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cars are for the weak!!!!!

29 69.05%
  • I need an Icee just thinking about it.

2 4.76%
  • Wait to bike till I pick up the 9-5er where the temps cool down. F@ck thes gas prices!

2 4.76%
  • Matt Damon!

9 21.43%
    MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

Where Do you Stand on your Commitement to Bicycle Commuting?

I live in southern California and facing a obstacle that will last through the summer and perhaps you will face it too. Anyone who's familiar with the city of Riverside knows that it is possibly one of the worst in the nation for air pollution and traffic congestion with an average pump price of $4.55/gal. The temps have averaged 90-105 with no end in sight and while this is a prime place to enjoy the benefits of cycle commuting, the conditions are far from tolerable for many to consider the idea of cycling. These temps are likely to last into Sept. So would you face it, pack your bag with work clothes, double up on the water and head out on two wheels with the endurance of a camel or face a $4.55 and climbing price with an chronic empty tanks from the vehicle's AC savior?????

More broadly, what are your limits to cycle commuting in bad weather?
    Last edited by homeslice; 06-19-2008 at 04:32 AM.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Personally, I'll bare it and find out what setup I can produce to make the ride most tolerable. I'll pack a few bottles with Froze-over ice, put my work clothes in my pack along with a clean rag and ride in light clothing. F@ck this weather, I'm not about to back down.

Besides, my AC is useless in the blazing heat.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

I am a great guy!
    Mar 2008
    Matt Damon!
    I am a great guy!

local trails rider
    Sometimes
    a) it rains so hard
    b) there's so much wet snow
    c) temperatures go below -10F
    or
    d) there's a company party with free beer

Those things might make me skip a day of bike commuting...

edit:
    the commute is around 5 miles, with a couple of options between more pavement and more dirt.
    Last edited by perttime; 06-19-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Sometimes
    a) it rains so hard
    b) there's so much wet snow
    c) temperatures go below -10F
    or
    d) there's a company party with free beer

Those things might make me skip a day of bike commuting...
    +1...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    If I only had to ride 1-3 miles to work, I'd ride everyday.

Unfortunately, being that there isn't any work within 1-3 miles...this proves difficult.

I can't wait to graduate, start a career, and think "bike mindedly".

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Basically, if my wife doesn't protest, I ride. Heat is a non-factor in the decision, I'll suck it up & take it. With rain, unless there's serious lightning, tornado, or flash flood warnings, I get my rain jacket & suck it up. Snow is a little bit different story because the drivers where I live really are incapable of safely getting anywhere, so that might force me off the bike. Thing is though, that if there's much ice on the ground the whole city shuts down anyway so that's rarely an issue.

My current commute is about 5 miles each way, but I've done 11 in the past and would probably be willing to go up to at least 20 each way.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I'd ride if my commute was like you guys... My commute to work is 35 miles each way...temps have be in the mid 90s and raining every afternoon...

I don't think so...

Outrageously happy
    I'm finding my limits. Temperature is not one of them. Water and ice take care of much. My range is up to 20 miles, one-way. Most roads are good here in Silicon Valley. Rain / visibility would be the biggest limiter, but I've not been tested on that one, yet. It is funny. I'f I don't show up to a meeting with my bike, people are disappointed.

Ridin' Dirty
    I just started commuting here in AZ.
    I have 17 mile one way commute and when I left to go home yesterday it was 112 degrees. You just have to know your limits. I've lived here my whole life so I'm somewhat used to the heat. Heat effects everyone differently. Just make sure that you are constantly drinking water/gatorade all day long prior and after the ride to make sure that you don't get dehydrated. I have a 72 oz camelbak bladder and a bottle of gatorade during that ride and that's good enough for me.

B
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_MTB_Weekend Warrior
    I'd ride if my commute was like you guys... My commute to work is 35 miles each way...temps have be in the mid 90s and raining every afternoon...

I don't think so...
    You need to move

Live closer to work. It'll save you time and money in the long run and you may be able to bike to work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgrafk
    I just started commuting here in AZ.
    I have 17 mile one way commute and when I left to go home yesterday it was 112 degrees. You just have to know your limits. I've lived here my whole life so I'm somewhat used to the heat. Heat effects everyone differently. Just make sure that you are constantly drinking water/gatorade all day long prior and after the ride to make sure that you don't get dehydrated. I have a 72 oz camelbak bladder and a bottle of gatorade during that ride and that's good enough for me.

B
    34 miles in 112 degree heat. I salute you!

BIG and Bald
    My commute to work is a little over 4 miles but I'm wanting to get into more comutting (ie, store, movies, etc.) I believe my limit would be around 15 miles. Cold doesn't bother me but I still haven't pushed myself to ride in the rain. I'm pushing towards it though.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Unless it rains, as I have no fenders, I ride.
    And it's not gonna rain here anytime soon.
    102 today.

Graphic Designer
    I only commute 1-3 miles each way (depending on which house I'm coming from) and I love it. I've only started about 2 months ago, but I'm addicted. Sometimes my car never leaves my driveway for 2-4 days. I also just got some fenders for rainy days...

It's wayyy more fun that I had expected it to be. I thought it would be work. Now, if I don't ride, I feel cranky.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

Graphic Designer
    Oh yeah, this week it has been 80 degrees. Last week was 95-100, so it was instant sweat drenching. Still fun though.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member

Its weird to see comments about rain...

Living in the Metro Phoenix area, I think I'll take the heat over the rain. I don't think I'd want to show up for work soaking wet, but maybe that'd be better than all sweaty.
    Just Ride!

Drunk Poster
    I have 2 bikes and 0 cars. Rain, Sleet, Snow, 115, 0 vis fog, I have no choice to ride in them to goto work. If its really bad I can call in sick, but then again my commute is like 2 miles maybe,...
    =)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ummm...I'll just keep driving- I do carpool with another guy most days. That basically doubles my mileage to 50 mph or more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I do not use cars so the choice is easy. It isn't hard to ride in the heat if you keep your speed up. I only really sweat when I stop. If I'm going a decent distance I put my camelbak in my Chrome bag. Rain, shine, snow, sleet, -30F, I ride through it all, any reasonable distance. Proper gear is key.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    102, ok
    below 27, thats crazy