Back in the Saddle Again

When it rains, it pours

Bikes!

In the deal I am making for my old car the buyer offered an older Schwinn 10 speed.

Then the neighbor and I were taking as I was adjusting my rear derailer to work with the new cassette and she offered to give me her two sons bikes that they are no longer riding and possibly a third bike.

So I am going to work on the 10 speed for a alternate ride, give one to my girlfriend so we can ride together and depending on what the models are, sell the third.

Where the heck am I going to put all these bikes in a room the size of a college dorm?

mtbr member
    Hang 'em from the ceiling on their sides?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nose to tail.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Uh-oh! Bike Vs Space trauma! Can any of them live outside? I let up to two bikes stay in the house, have room for a few under the carport, and any extras all have to deal with Mother Nature. Hopefully you can get away with a few weather bike specials.

What`s up with your mechanical issues, anyway? Between this thread, your last one, and what you posetd on the daily thread, I don`t understand exactly what BD replaced for you and just what the problems are. You currently have nice straight wheels, or riding on a lopsided replacement, or what?
    Recalculating....

Back in the Saddle Again
    It started out with a bad rear rim. Flat spot, not keeping true for more than a day or two. They sent a replacement and that had a flat spot, stayed true a little longer and broke spokes despite not putting them through abuse.

When I was swapping the cassette I took a rag to it to give it a cleaning and a peice of the cog broke off.

When it rains, it pours-img_20130617_151502.jpg

The new rims already exceed expectations. No pinging when I started riding or when under load. Been on them three days and no loose spokes, and I have a smooth ride for the first time since I got the bike.

Low quality factory parts to keep the price down. Leassons learned.

weirdo
    When you say they sent you new rims, you`re talking about whole wheels, right? You got two after the original set? Glad it`s finally smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddCelt View Post
    Low quality factory parts to keep the price down. Leassons learned.
    Among those lessons, I`d say it was nice to learn that BikesDirect was willing to send replacements multiple times. Of course, it`s always better NOT to need replacement parts on a new product, but it sounds to me like you came out okay in the end. How do you feel about the purchase as a whole?
    Recalculating....