mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Wheelset and tires

I have a nice single speed that I was given. Its very well setup for xc racing but the tires are far too agressive and I'd rather not use the more expensive wheels in case I get hit.. I'd like to just have another wheelset for commuting and running around time. Some cheap, half decent, but mainly cheap. Any recommendations of what I should buy and where to get it?

weirdo
    Despite the alarm raising name, Bicycle Wheel Warehouse gets a lot of nice comments on RBR. I`ve never bought from them personally, since they don`t carry much other than the flavor of the day (skinny racer stuff for roadies and disc hubs for mtb), but if they have a match for you it would be hard to beat their prices. If you want to keep it SS, the cheapest way is probably to just use spacers on the freehub body.

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=55
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    My approach to this kind of purchase would be to not be fussy on brand or model, but instead focus on value, or % discount. Browse a few sites and see what you can get for whatever you have budgeted as cheap. Something like this would catch my eye, $199 from $600... http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?...price&ascend=0 This one may not work for you, but you get the idea....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by computer
    I have a nice single speed that I was given. Its very well setup for xc racing but the tires are far too agressive and I'd rather not use the more expensive wheels in case I get hit.. I'd like to just have another wheelset for commuting and running around time. Some cheap, half decent, but mainly cheap. Any recommendations of what I should buy and where to get it?

Geez your gonna buy some cheap rims in case you get hit while riding a bike on the road....

That does not go around for me at all, you need to work on your hazard mitigation to begin with.

I now have three sets of wheels (long story)...I run one set for trails, one for cummuting and one with studs...

I do not have a set of wheels to ride if I expect to get hit.

mtbr member
    Having separate wheels for the road makes sense. Cheap ones if you can't afford or don't want the features of more expensive, I get. If you get hit hard enough to trash a rim, unless your area is full of hit-and-run drivers, or you ride in an illegal manner making the accident your fault, someone else is buying the replacement, so why not buy what you like and can afford?

That said, my closest LBS helped me convert a 27 inch bike to 700C on a minimalist budget. A pair of generic wheels and a 9 speed SRAM made in China cassette for less than $110. Sure, they have Shimano 2200, (made in China) hubs, and unpolished Weinman (made in Taiwan) rims, 36 straight gauge stainless steel spokes, and I have less than 500 miles on them. But other than needing some spoke tuning and hub adjustment at the start and a few times since, they have taken the heavy loads I placed on them (300-330 pounds, bike, cyclist and groceries at times). In fact, the rims are nearly identical to the 27" ones (made in Belgium) on the bike before, the hubs appear to have better bearings and alloy housings, and straight gauge stainless spokes were once thought pretty darn good. My only concern is how well the freeehub will hold up as I stand on it pretty hard at times.

I'd have gone more upmarket if budget had allowed, but so far I am pleased. Worth a shot esecially if it is just a phone call or two.

mtbr member
    Found them, but I paid less at my LBS:

http://www.bicyclewheels.com/merchan...egory_Code=RWO