mtbr member

Whats your favorite slicks for 26" wheels?

Hi!
    Im having a hard time finding a performance road tires for my 26" wheels. Currently riding Panaracer RIBMO Urban Sport (1.25/32) on 23mm wide rims. The RIBMO's have been great but i think they are discontinued.

Id like to stay skinny but im finding that 'pizza cutters' for 26" are like hens teeth. Do you have a favorite skinny slick tire for 26" wheels?

cheers!

weirdo
    RIBMOS gone already? Weird- I thought they were selling pretty well, though I never tried any.

For impersonating a roadie, I love 1.25 Paselas (non-TG). They roll very well and are surprisingly cushy for their width. Unfortunately, they tend to pinch flat easily when I get lazy about watching the pressure. They`re fairly decent for puntures when fresh, but get pretty bad before the tread is gone. For what I think you`re asking about, they remain my favorites.

Trying now to find a middle ground between fast/light and tough. I`ve had Conti Sport Tour 1.3 (narrower than Pasela 1.25) on my commuter for several months with only one puncture that I remember (wire) and no pinch flats, even when I let the pressure get lower than I could get away with on Paselas. They roll pretty well, but not as good as the Paselas, and not quite as cushy either. So far, that`s been my only attempt for the elusive middle- going to try Paselas in 1.5 next, and might go back to the Contis. I still keep the 1.25 Paselas on my "speed" bike, and will likely mount them again on my commuter in the summer. I just don`t trust them for commuting in the winter (really don`t want to change a tube in the cold) or off pavement.

How did the RIBMOs do as far as pinching and puncturing? Have you tried any other tires that might qualify as tough+skinny? I`m kind of curious about T-Serves. I used fat ones (1.75) for a while and like them pretty well, but haven`t used any skinnier versions.

EDIT: Oh, tried te Pasela TGs for one round and found them pretty much equal for flatting, but not as nice a ride, and slightly heavier. Went back to the regular version.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bonty SR1s at 1.25" are some of the only ones out there. You have to order them from a Trek dealer, though, being Bontrager and all.

Some Mavic rims have pressure maximums printed for 1.1" tires, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen one.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^FWIW, I have those T-servs on the cross bike (700x32 I think) and have not flatted yet. Not huge miles on them, probably been my least used bike, but I have no idea how many or how long they've been on.

mtbr member
    I like primo comets in 1.5 width. They are pretty fast but still kind of floaty.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    I like primo comets in 1.5 width. They are pretty fast but still kind of floaty.
    Oh, yeah! I have 20 x 1.25 and 20 x 1.5 Comets for my folding bike. The 1.25s are pretty rough in that size, but I like the 1.5s. Fast and comfy . No flats with them yet, but not many miles either, so that doesn`t say much. I wonder if the new Primo Racer 26 x 1.25 is just a skinnier version of the 26 inch Comet? I haven`t the 26 inch ones yet, but I`d expect them to be smoother than the 20s.

Primo Racer Tire 26 x 1.25 BSK
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing your fav 26" slicks! Going shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    How did the RIBMOs do as far as pinching and puncturing? Have you tried any other tires that might qualify as tough+skinny?
    No flats/pinch flats with my Ribmo Urban Sports after a year. i think i dont get many pinch flats because im a featherweight and i baby them. i run them 70lbs on a Cannondale F600 with a 120 lb. engine and 20 lbs of rack+panniers. love the cushy ride and they are speedy.

I got the UrbanSports from Nashbar but they dont carry them anymore

Ex-Clydesdale
    I have a pair of 1.25" slicks from Performance that I used for a thousand miles or so. Kevlar reinforced, never had any flats, and they're cheap ($15 each, or 10-12 if you catch a good sale):
    Forté Metro-K Road and MTB Tires - City Bike Tires

I don't use them anymore after switching to a set of Schwalbe Big Apple 2.15". Just as fast, way more comfortable, but more expensive.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    ^^Funny, i just ordered one Forte Metro-K 1.25" for another bike...it was too cheap to pass up/great reviews for a dirt-cheap tire but im still skeptical. Ill report back here after some mileage.

I run 2.35 Big Apples on my 'grocery getter' (80's RockHopper) which puts a smile on my face every time i ride it. Like driving an old Caddilac (run at low pressure)
    Last edited by CabezaShok; 02-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    I ran serfas fps for like 6 years with MINIMAL problems, I don't have a size for you since the bastards stole my bike a few months ago. One thing not to do is get very skinny tires, your pedals will dig into the pavement on every corner and cause crashyness!
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Michelin Wild RunR.

Great tire, but a tad narrow at just over 1"

Drew

PRETENDURO
    26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworms. They just rock.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Ritchey Tom Slicks, Tioga City Slickers, Geax Revert (not made anymore) and Conti Grand Prix (also not made anymore). If I don't buy a cross bike I'll probably go with the Tom Slicks again or maybe something from Schwalbe.

No Stranger to danger....
    Maxxis DTH are fantastic tyres for city use, great profile and tread, they give a really smooth ride i cant recommend them enough, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CabezaShok View Post
    ^^Funny, i just ordered one Forte Metro-K 1.25" for another bike...it was too cheap to pass up/great reviews for a dirt-cheap tire but im still skeptical. Ill report back here after some mileage.
    Ive run the 1.5 version and really like them! For the cost you cant beat it! I havent had any flats and have some good mileage on them. I just put them on the wifes MTB and orderd some 1.25 for my urban assault bike....rides like a champ...and inexpensive too!
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    They aren't exactly slicks, but I really like WTB Vulpine 26x1.9. For city to gravel riding, they have been really good. They measure smaller than 1.9. Might have to find them on clearance now... not sure if WTB is still producing Vulpine in 26". Might only be 29er now. ??

Before Vulpine I had Michelin Rock Country 1.75's. Great road tire. Not great on anything else. Weared really well though.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member

Grand Prixs are still around

Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Ritchey Tom Slicks, Tioga City Slickers, Geax Revert (not made anymore) and Conti Grand Prix (also not made anymore). If I don't buy a cross bike I'll probably go with the Tom Slicks again or maybe something from Schwalbe.
    I ran Tom Slicks for 7 years. Great tires. I am pretty sure that Conti still makes Grand Prix 26X1.0 as it is still found on their website and I bought some this year. I have been using them for a couple of years. If you want some fast skinny tires for 26" they are a good option. The state of our streets after a long winter has made the parking lanes like gravel roads and I haven't had a puncture problem yet.

mtbr member
    So since starting this thread ive gotten a few miles on my Forte Metro-K 1.25"X26 / 32-559 tire (rear)....around 500miles. I gotta say these are the best bang for buck ive found. its showing normal wear for a rear tire. I ride mostly bike paths/MUPS with them so i dont know if the "kevlar belt" is really helping...we get lotsa ground up glass here tho so maybe it helps some? . The ride is very comfortable for a 32 and it is not too slow, so i dont have the desire to go 700c... i average 16-20mph depending on the 5-10mph sea breezes here in So-Cal. Performance has them on sale from time to time so Keep and eye out....they are a dirt cheap way to get some slicks under your MTB. Thanks for the help!