Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Brutally Handsome

What's your excuse?

We all have days when we don't want to ride. For me, I'm full of energy on Mondays and Tuesdays, but by Wednesday I'm out of commuting steam and end up driving. Then I'm refreshed for riding Thursday and Friday.

I would like to work on breaking this habit, but I would also like to hear your reasons for not riding. What's your excuse?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm not riding tomorrow, my excuse is simply "dontwanna" I pushed myself pretty hard in January, only drove 2 days, because of weather. All the days I rode in January that I truely didn't want to ride, added to the "dontwanna" fund. So tomorrow, I can afford a guilt free "dontwanna" day. Like cheating on a diet, its gonna be awesome.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    there isn't one for me this year...yet

last year I was full of excuses...name one I probably used it.

"I'm just to comfy in bed to get up this early" was the best.

"I'm just to tired from my weekend ride"...would work sometimes until Wednesday ...
    I just did my longest mtb ride yesterday (67 km)...doubling the longest before that....and I commute to work today.

my commute to work is only 6 mi and I don't have below 30s F so, length or weather hardly can be used as an excuse in my case.

Fat-tired Roadie
    My commute to school is 5 miles, and the school's in a pretty densely populated area with incredibly irritating traffic and parking. So I've never driven there to go to class. The only time I had my truck with me and visited campus, I was helping a friend move, and stopped there to register for classes. Had to pay for parking, which I hate.

When I go to work for my most frequent company, if I'm working from their shop, I typically drive. They actually moved to a new location over the New Year that I haven't been to yet, but it's 8.7 miles to ride to their current one, with some climbing and descending. They're a gang of idiots and it's a labor job, so I'm never sure when I'll finish and don't like committing myself to riding home in the dark after hours of pushing boxes and hanging lights. The new location is a little further, over a bridge I'm not sure how to access by bike, so I don't see myself becoming "good" about them anytime soon.

I don't really ride my bike to save the environment or anything like that, though. I do it because I find it more pleasant and convenient than driving for most of the things I do in town, or at least more convenient if the weather sucks, and I think I stay in better shape for recreational riding and racing. I value my time and regard myself a little too highly to take the bus, so there's that too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

ride the moment
    My excuse right now is that I didn't have the right shims under the cleats on my new shoes and now have a nasty inflammation under my patella. I hate it though. Like Andrw, I do not ride to save the environment. This year my commute is only 4 miles round trip, and my car gets 30 mpg so I save less than a gallon a week which is easily offset because I like meat. When it was 14 miles round trip and I was driving a jeep there was actually a noticeable savings. I absolutely hate driving in traffic. I can feel my blood pressure eroding my arteries and prepping my brain for future strokes. I want my bike back!
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    My bike was still in pieces this morning from an overhaul that got interrupted yesterday. I used my bike commute time this morning to finish it up and put it back together, and will ride home.

My most common excuse is wanting to do something after work that either requires a car or extends beyond the time that buses run. I would rather ride but I don't beat myself up about it.

mtbr member
    I think the one i use the most is, " I drank way to much last night". But that usually is only on Mondays, haha. Other then that i usually just do it, and once i get to work im usually pretty happy i decided to ride in

mtbr member
    I ride to work because I enjoy it. If I don't feel like riding one day for whatever reason, tired, weather, hang over, I drive. The point is that it is fun and 90% of the time, I would rather ride than drive because driving is not fun.

Notso proud Schwinn Rider
    Jan 2011
    I hate riding when it rains.
    Getting puddle-splashed by trucks sucks
    Hey! Whatsa matta You? Gotta no respect! Whata think you do? Why you looka so sad? Itsa nicea place! Hey! Shaddap you face!

mtbr member
    My excuse is usually the MTB night ride on Tues/Thursday nights. If we do a long one and finish at 9pm, sometimes I'm not ready to get back in the saddle in the morning. Total laziness though, it's only 3.5 miles to work .
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    my excuse is..i work a real job. A dirty hard labor job... and drive to many different job sites. so i just want to take a break sometimes and drive.....thats my excuse

mtbr member
    At 0 degrees F today too cold for me!!!

mtbr member
    I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I have more. Most of the time I just don't have time. I try to three times a week. Once I get those in, I'm good to take a break. Last week I used the "I'm sick" excuse. It's a good one. Still coming out of that one. Breathing in the cold doesn't help either.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    What's your excuse?
    Well, in all honesty, I am still unemployed!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

weirdo
    As far as commuting goes, I haven`t needed an excuse yet this year (knock wood), but last year and the year before I blew my 100% streak because I was running behind and driving would get me to work on time (or at least give me a chance at it) while riding would have me clocking in late. After the streak is blown, pretty much any excuse will do
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Well, in all honesty, I am still unemployed!
    Ditto. But my volunteer work sometimes needs to be fit in with too many errands, too far, in too short a time, before the storm hits to do it by bike. (Yesterday.) Today nowhere to go, really and drivers will be 50 % competent and wish they did not have to be out and 50% clueless. (What do you mean it is slippery? I have 4WD!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My commute is 10 feet to my office.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I decided to let unemployment be the universe's wakeup call to change my direction. Hence, school. I was never planning to be a stagehand for my whole life anyway.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    i make more excuses for my dad NOT to drive me to work mainly "are you gonna be awake to ick me up when i get out" so even when there is 4 inches of snow on the ground and its still coming down i ride to work, school is another story though...i mostly hate getting bundled up in the morning, though i try to at least once or twice a week anyway
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My excuse, at least for tomorrow, is that the worst blizzard to hit Milwaukee in ten years is currently upon us.

I've ridden to work only one day in 2011, and my wife had to pick me up since it snowed so much during the day. The roads are pretty much crap to ride in for days and by the time they are close to rideable it snows again!

I have been able to mountain bike though

mtbr member
    Usually I feel like sleeping a little later, or coming home early. Like today I woke up at 6:15 and decided instead of riding I'd drive in, get home around 3:30 and go have a coffee with my wife before we pick up our daughter (we'll pick her up early too so I'll get more time with her today).
    :wq

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have three I use:

1) It's a ski day and I'm driving the dawn patrol group. If I'm not driving, I haul my ski gear to the meeting point on my trailer.
    2) I have way too much stuff to fit in the panniers. (This excuse is dying now that I have a BOB.)
    3) It's a red alert air quality day. I'm now officially done destroying my lungs to "do my part" for air quality. It seems ironic that on the worst air quality days, I switch to internal combustion based transport, but I'll deal with the irony instead of the coughing bouts.

mtbr member
    This is from next door in NH, but couldn't resist....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your excuse?-nh-car.jpg  

weirdo
    Doh! ^^^ Conserving parking space

Beetlejuice!
    I work 4 days a week unless I'm seeing clients on the 5th. Can't ride my bike when seeing clients because of all the equipment I carry.

2 of the other 4 days I have a pretty flexible schedule, so as long as its not too hot, or like this week too cold, I usually commute.

The other two days I have to be at work by 730am, and considering my ride is an hour each way there is no way in hell I'm getting up before 6am to make it on time.

I'd love to say that I bike to work everyday, but I've NEVER been a morning person and no matter how many times I set that damn alarm for 545a it never works.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast