Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

What's the weirdest thing you've seen laying in the road?

I was riding home on my regular commute route yesterday and saw something really strange. On a relatively empty stretch of highway between two towns, no businesses or houses nearby...an unopened package of hot dogs laying on the shoulder of the road. Do people just throw hot dogs out their window as they drive by?

So this made me wonder, what other oddball things cyclists see that get missed by cagers.

What's your weirdest?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Haven't seen too many weird things... Probably the weirdest was a 13mm Snap-On line wrench.

Specialized Utard
    Weirdest thing I've seen was a toilet seat on the side of the road.
    I'm a bicycle polygamist

≈ > ♥

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    That is a strangely creepy yet cool picture.

I experimented with an edit:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Though not laying in the road, I ventured across something like (not my pic) this crossing the road. It was easily 18 inches long and looking very, very mean. What a sight for an urbanite:

Too busy looking good
    On my route to work, a raccoon was hit by a car and lay right in the middle of the shoulder, forcing a detour of a good foot into the road. Nothing too unusual about this, but Boulder county never cleaned it up. It sat there, and went through all the phases of decomposition over a period of months, until it became a barely noticeable brown mark on the shoulder.

Because it was right in the way, I was forced to take notice of it every time I rode, and it held a strange fascination for me. It went from being ugly, to stinky and ugly, to stinky and shapeless, to shapeless (no smell anymore), to flat, to a smudge.

No pics, though, sorry.

I like seeing motorists pick their nose on the way to work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicProportions
    Though not laying in the road, I ventured across something like (not my pic) this crossing the road. It was easily 18 inches long and looking very, very mean. What a sight for an urbanite:

Hehe, your realize that is a protected species here? Alligator Snapper...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Oversized man on top of oversized woman. No pictures, but my retinas still hurt.

OK, not the wierdest, but..... riding by a book warehouse in my hometown years back, I rode by a baggie of high quality weed, maybe 3/4 oz ..... needless to say, I stopped and picked up the "trash". I hate "litterers".... heh

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    On my route to work, a raccoon was hit by a car and lay right in the middle of the shoulder, forcing a detour of a good foot into the road....Because it was right in the way, I was forced to take notice of it every time I rode, and it held a strange fascination for me. It went from being ugly, to stinky and ugly, to stinky and shapeless, to shapeless (no smell anymore), to flat, to a smudge.
    I remember a similar experience with a skunk that was near where I picked blueberries as a kid. The combination of decomposing carrion coupled with skunk odor was overwhelming and would cause me to gag instantly. I had to hold my breath well in advance of reaching the carcass and ride past as fast as I could still holding my breath until I was well beyond it. Great lung training, I guess...but good lord what a stench.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    a purse.

mtbr member
    A person

A stack of people

an 18 wheeler (only 3 feet tall after it melted)

Riding or walking I always carry a camera

Ray

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    well, when I was a TV news photo I once went to a head on wrong way accident and the wrong way hot rod Ranchero's intake manifold with carb attached was sitting about 50 yards from the the Ranchero. Imagine the force it would take to rip that off the motor. Never saw that before or again. Also, I once slipped on a human innards on the road, then saw it. The coroner yelled at me for that one.

While cycling, some guy face down next to his bike in the middle of the road at 6am. He just passed out drunk while riding.

Which way? Uphill.
    Purple D!ldo. It was there for 2.5 weeks before it just disappeared. It was odd thinking how it got there, even more odd thinking where it went.

BTW, elvez, human innards, I would be disturbed for a while there.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I was going to say my friend after he ran into me on two separate occasions, but everyone else has more f-cked up stories. I'm just glad my commuting doesn't mean I have to see a therapist.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    Because it was right in the way, I was forced to take notice of it every time I rode, and it held a strange fascination for me. It went from being ugly, to stinky and ugly, to stinky and shapeless, to shapeless (no smell anymore), to flat, to a smudge.
    I have gone thorough that process with more dead deer than I care to remember.

Last week I found some almost new leather work gloves. They even fit.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Purple D!ldo.
    That's weird, because that is exactly the same thing I was going to say. Hope it wasn't the same one. This one was in western Mass.

Who throws a dildo out a moving car window? Or do you set it on top of the car and drive off forgetting it's there? So many questions, so few answers...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    2 cans of budweiser select and a pair of sunglasses.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    That's weird, because that is exactly the same thing I was going to say. Hope it wasn't the same one. This one was in western Mass.

Who throws a dildo out a moving car window? Or do you set it on top of the car and drive off forgetting it's there? So many questions, so few answers...
    Well if it was, it was on quite a journey before it fell out of favor again and was ditched on the roadside in Colorado.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A handgun laying in the side of the road off 94 in Chicago. Also found a washer on the road near home.

mtbr member
    A whole Red Tailed Sucker (fish), miles from water with no apparent wounds to explain it - originally I figured it was dropped by a bald eagle or something but I couldn't see any claw marks...
    Also once found a 400mm Nikon Zoom lens that my friends encouraged me to turn in at the nearest RCMP station. I checked back 2 weeks later to see if anyone claimed it and they had no record of me bringing it in

mtbr member
    Cell phone, still powered on. I turned it in at the police station which was on my way home.
    Complete wrapped bundle of mechanic's rags, freshly laundered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't know if this counts because he was laying in the road but...

I was riding to work two weeks ago around 0550 on a Friday mourning. I look over and see a borderline junkie (he still had some nice/clean clothes) sitting on the sidewalk eating one of those huge turkey legs. You know, the kind that's almost 2 feet wide. I was going to stop and ask him where he got it but I didn't want to interrupt his meal.

Anyway, I know he probably got it from some dumpster but I don't know where they serve giant turkey legs in East Baltimore anyway.

I Ride for Donuts
    I counted this morning...4 dead deer and one dead cat with at least a leg or some other appendage in the bike lane on my commute currently...that's just on one side of the road.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast