Known Mountainbiker

What's a little rain?

Just to blow my own horn.....recent US Census Bureau data listed Boulder, CO number one in the percentage of bicycle riders who commute to work. Eugene, OR came in second behind by only .4% (not 4%) What's important to point out is Boulder gets about 300 days of sunshine a year while here in Eugene we get about 240 days of rain.

Rain.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

I'm SUCH a square....
    I love it when I wake up to rain...it's just a party! Like normal commute 'rules' don't apply, and it's just out-of-the-box fun!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah...it dumped on me all the way from Albany to Corvallis on Friday (13mi) but I was about 1-2mph faster than usual every time I looked down at my speedo. Does rain make you faster?

Oh, and by the way...I am LOVING my Pearl Izumi AmFIB tights. My legs are warm and dry and not sweaty! I wear those over the tops of my neoprene booties and now even my feet are dry. I'm like a kid again...I aim for the big, deep puddles knowing that my fenders and good gear will keep me clean and dry.

Rain...pfft...who cares.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Here's a high & low from my past rain commutes:

1. A day in July, 'bout 4 years ago, T-storms on the radar; hadn't busted loose yet at quittin' time, but I suited up anyway. 9 miles to go.... 2 miles in, it starts to flash, boom, and pour! Visibility about 50 feet; 2 flashing taillights on, raincoat hood under the helmet so my glasses stay a bit clearer. I'm getting rain in my teeth from the grinning, and it lasts ALL THE WAY HOME! I was a little disappointed to GET home, but my daughter's expecting me.

2. About a year and a month later -- going TO work this time; fat boy on the weather station says sunny and low 80s, and the skies are only partly cloudy. 20 minutes later, there's a wall of dark clouds rolling my way, and I'm barely halfway there! Pump pump pedal pedal....FLASH! Sheets of rain about take me off the bike. Nothing between me and work for shelter but a few scraggly trees.

I stayed squishy-wet for four hours.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....