mtbr member
    Jul 2007

what is your limit on commuting when its cold?

I only ask because we are finally in a spot in spring where some days are ok to ride and some still are not because it is too damn cold. Riding for me is 5.8 miles each way. One mile of it is up a hill and often facing a very cold wind. I use my car as a meter. If windows are frosted.....I drive....if snow of rain is coming...I drive.

I Ride for Donuts
    See I read that title and I hear "what is your low temp record" I haven't had the opportunity to ride below -5*F, but I would if I got the chance. My shortest route is right at 5.8 miles also. And yes, I go the short way when it's below zero I'm a pansy compared to some of these folks though...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

For a 6mi commute, I am far less picky than I currently am with my 21mi commute.

For 21 miles, I would really rather not ride unless it's nice out. Meaning sunny and at least 50deg.

For a 6 mile commute, I don't mind as much. Active snow, I'd probably stay home. Snow on the ground, as long as I'm prepped for slippery conditions (studded tires), I'd ride. I'd ride in light rain, but not downpour and definitely not thunder & lightning.

When I lived in Texas, my commute was 3-4 miles depending on route. I'd ride in just about anything but storms. Due to weather patterns there, I'd often go home early or stay late to play "dodge the weather". Sometimes that got to be annoying enough that I'd just drive so I didn't have to worry about it.

My biggest "kryptonite" weather is when it's 33-45F or so, especially if it's wet. That is harder weather to dress for than brutal cold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Cold, I don't have a limit, though 0 F and below give me a pretty strong urge to drive for the day. Snow enough to accumulate and possibly cause a driver to drift into me (or a plow to take me out) is generally what keeps me off the bike in the winter more than the cold. And as others have said, thunderstorms are just a giant ball of nope. I'll call in a ride if a thunderstorm rolls in and I can't wait it out.

Other than that, it's just down to schedule or laziness (and the schedule constraints are usually due to laziness).

Natural Born Killer
    As I've discovered, the temperature is not a limiting factor for me. I can adjust for the temperature. It's hard to compensate or adjust for a roaring 30-40mph wind unless it's at my back. I'm with NateHawk on this one. The worst weather is 33-45F, windy, and raining. That's when its really tough to get motivated to ride, and I start to question my own sanity (more than usual). Lightning freaks me out pretty good. I have at times tried to adjust my departure time to dodge weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

I'd rather be on my bike
    For me, the temps are not the issue. It is the rain/snow/drizzle/wet roads/ice that deters me from commuting. 8.5 mile commute each way, and if the roads are dry and it isn't raining, I usually ride. I have ridden home in near single digit temps and was a little cold, but would take that all day over ice/slush/rain/damp conditions. I like to clean my bike, but not all the time. Apartment living doesn't give me a garage so I have to keep my bikes in my place. That means lots of cleaning because of the light carpet. That becomes a bigger pain in the ass than riding in the cold.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

MTB, Road, Commuting
    This is the thread that I thought of: What is your cutoff temp?

I'm with the others. I'll ride at -10F but a +32F isn't fun.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    No cutoff found yet. I know folks who ride in -40+ temps up north, but we don't see those in southcentral. Would love to experiment tho. -25 has been commuted in, comfy cozy. No bad weather, just bad gear!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As of right now, I've pushed my temp limit down to -9F pre-wind chill. Its not bad with the right clothes.

The nice thing about winter riding, is now that its getting warmer and I'm wearing less layers I feel like a rocket.

I dream on two wheels

what is your limit on commuting when its cold?

-11*F on my 10 mile commute is my limit so far. Haven't had the opportunity to try any colder yet but I don't see why I wouldn't ride.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    What stops you from wearing more when it's cold and less on the warmer (or "less cold") days?

I commute around the year, so far the lowest I've gone is -26C (-14.8F).

Distance used to be 10 km (about 6.2 miles) but is now reduced to 6 km (about 3.7 miles), I use different routes so it varies.

Today was a great example. Temp was low-mid 40's when I started (and when I got home), but it was sunny. The sun made all the difference in the world. When wet, it's a tough temp to be remotely comfortable. Today, a long-sleeved jersey and shorts and I was perfect. Even went with the cutoff finger gloves. Cool to start with, but warmed up well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Like most, the cold is less of an issue for me than road conditions. My coldest commute this winter was -25C (close to -15F), and I had no problems. Once there is ice and snow built up along the sides of the road, I am done for the year. Commuting in downtown Toronto is scary enough without adding slippery conditions into the mix!

Moderator Moderator
    Mother nature is setting the limits for me. Last winter there was a lower low, -23F, than this year (-19F) on a day I rode.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    -36 C is my record....that was below -50C with the windchill...

It was about a 30 minute ride in to work.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ That's -32 degrees American. Brrrr. 30 minutes, so, like, 2 miles at those temps?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ That's -32 degrees American. Brrrr. 30 minutes, so, like, 2 miles at those temps?
    -32.8 F

7.5 km with a downhill section

mtbr member
    I've only had the chance to go down to -32C/-26F.

But shoulder-season rides can suck worse than anything. Last thursday I had a pretty miserable ride - gloomy, windy, and just below freezing. It's weird to think "I with it was 20C colder out."

I think all of my least favorite rides have been right around freezing, although I've had plenty of nice rides there too.

mtbr member
    -20 is my record... anything colder than and I say "screw it" and start up the gas hog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    commuting? there is no limit.
    this is the coldest winter on record in 20 years or something.
    we had over 60 days of snowfall from december to march.
    rode every day this year, last, the one before that, etc.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    This winter I had about a 5 mile round trip route, I rode until is was -30F with windchill.