Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here. What is your "It's Too Cold to Ride" point?

I know that there is all kind of gear to make riding in any temperature possible, but at what point is it too cold for you to ride your bike? For me, 25F/-4C is my "Do I really feel like riding to work?" point. What is your "It's too cold to ride" point, if in fact you do have one?

No-Brakes Cougar
    I don't really have one, though it rarely gets any colder than 30F on my morning rides out here and I build up a lot of heat on my rides. It's funny though how much of a difference an hour can make. I left for work an hour earlier than usual this Saturday and after five minutes I could no longer feel my hands. O_O Gotta start remembering to bring gloves.
    Last edited by Gary the No-Trash Cougar; 01-05-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    My limit is -25C or -13F with the windchill. I've ridden a couple really pleasant mornings at -20C with no wind, very easy to keep yourself warm enough. On the other hand, my coldest commute ever was -8C with 60km/hr winds. (Wind chill was -30 or so, just horrible).

Blind biker
    I havent reached my too cold point yet and I have rode in -20F with wind chill and I was just wearing jogging pants, balcava, and a wind breaker. I started the ride w/o a balcava but rode 4 miles and stopped and bought one as I was going to get frost bite or atleast I thought I was. Also a water bottle in my backpack opened and was poured all over my seat and bike causing me not being able to use it all day long.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i'm a florida sissy.

so 30F because i don't have the proper cold weather gear save for UA tops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't have one. -30F, -60F with wind chill is the coldest I've done. It doesn't bother me. Had to stand and crank the headwind was so strong. Took forever. I refuse to use a car. They are unnecessary. People drive too much as it is.

mtbr member
    havent found mine yet either... 11 deg. F with -15 windchill. I didnt mind it at all, but my bike was really grumpy that day. The derailer cable froze twice and the front brake stopped working for a bit.

BIG and Bald
    I would have to say somewhere in the lower teens. Unfortunately it's more like anything below 40. My lungs are unable to adapt to the cold weather and end up with bronchitis and/or sinus infection!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I'd say I was a fair weather commuter. But I live in AK and I'd put my fair weather cut-off at about 10F. Anything colder than that, I just don't want to do it.

mtbr member
    I'm ethnically challenged and anything below 40f is enough to keep inside my car.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    15f

Not much fun when its less than 25f

Fat-tired Roadie
    Haven't found it yet, but I do start changing my setup significantly. If it's below freezing, I wear ski gloves and a fleece cycling cap that covers my ears, and if there's snow on the roads I switch my mountain bike to flat pedals so I can wear my hiking boots, which are waterproof. I'm also a little wary of trying to ride road bikes below freezing in the PNW - I can recover skids on my mountain bike, but I'm less confident of that on a road bike. I think the coldest I've ridden in so far was in the teens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Like a lot of folks on this forum, I don't own a car. So, too cold to ride means walking.... It's gotta be sub 20 before I walk (I am a lazy guy.)

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Single digit F temps for me. Just hurts too much to breath. I've tride the lower face mask things to warm the incoming air a bit, but just can't stand having my face covered like that.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm not quite sure yet, but -15f seems OK. That is about as cold as it gets around here.
    About 20 years ago, it got to -65f with wind chill, but I was in college and it was pretty easy to just stay home. I have a short commute, so I can dress pretty warm and not overheat (unless pushing heavy snow).

I Ride for Donuts
    I set a personal lowest-temp record this morning at 4 degrees F. Santa brought me those pearl izumi lobster claw gloves this year, and I realized on my ride this morning that my fingers were the one thing that was making the winter rides miserable. Now they're toasty, so I'm good to go lower at this point...it never gets much colder than maybe 10 below zero F where I'm at, so I'd say temp isn't going to keep me off the bike. It's the ice that makes me drive.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cold fingers are my limit too. Lobster claws seem like a good idea.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ They are rediculously warm. We're supposed to have a high of 28 today, and I'm bummed that I didn't bring lighter gloves for the ride home. My hands will be a sweat fest at 28 degrees in those things. They don't breathe much, which is great below maybe 17 degrees. I have some pretty warm windstopper gloves that aren't that old, and I was bummed that I was never going to use them again when I got the lobsters, but in reality, I will only break out the lobsters on those REALLY cold mornings, and even then I'll probably bring the windstoppers for the slightly warmer ride home. If your fingers are what's making you miserable, these are the solution. No more curling up the hands and riding like you have stumps instead of opposable thumbs.

They also made me realize that I'm a one-finger-on-the-brake-lever guy...gotta change that habit really quick...when you try to reach for the brake with one finger, the other finger that it's attached to doesn't let it move. Freaked me out the first couple of times I needed to get to the brakes in a hurry.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'm in fl... in the 30'sF is about the limit for me... just a matter of waiting till middle of the day to ride most of the time... but come summer i'll be buying a decent light system
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    For me, 25F/-4C is my "Do I really feel like riding to work?" point.
    For me -4C is barely below my "cold enough to be nice and dry" point

I've done my 8-9km (5 mile) commute in about -25C and my old bike was getting pretty sticky there. ... Been a couple of years since we had real winter temps like that.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For ice, I switch from my usual commuter, an old road bike, to my mountain bike. I really want some of those studded tires, though... My truck is rear-drive and not very good in ice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KeylessChuck
    Cold fingers are my limit too. Lobster claws seem like a good idea.
    Only if you don't live in a place that gets into the single digits. I am completely unimpressed with my Pearl Izumi ones. They are not warm at normal Wisconsin winter riding temps and they are difficult to pull your fingers out of to make a fist to keep them warm. They have a little partition in each "finger" so your fingers can't touch each other. I have just made some poggies of my own and can handle any temperatures without getting cold hands.

mtbr member
    I've gone out on days (and a few nights) below 0f. But a 20-30mph wind along with below zero temps is going to chase me back to my car unless it is all tailwind!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    -15F is the lowest I have been and it is ride-able.

Off the back...
    Lowest temperature I've commuted in was -35C/-50C windchill. The only saving grace on those 2 or 3 days was the fact that there was very little snow on the ground.

I'll +1 on PI lobster gloves being crap. They're useless past -5C, and even that is pushing it. MEC Nanu lobsters are vastly superior, and cheaper to boot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast