Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'd rather be on my bike

What is your cutoff temp?

I know a lot of you commute all year round. What about those that don't? What is your cutoff temp to not ride? I know some of us live in colder climates, and others in warm climates, so post up both.

When I started this, I swore it would be 40 as the cutoff. If it was under 40, I wouldn't ride. Now it is 30, as long as it is 30 before I leave for work, I will ride. When the summer rolls around, I am not sure what it will be. Showering at work is an option, although it is not an easy one.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3086/2500

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Don't have a cut off temp

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    When I started this, I swore it would be 40 as the cutoff. If it was under 40, I wouldn't ride. Now it is 30, as long as it is 30 before I leave for work, I will ride.
    I find the 20's are better for biking than the 30's (F), because it is less slushy and wet out there (although salt affects this also).

mtbr member
    When I started this, I swore it would be 40 as the cutoff. If it was under 40, I wouldn't ride. Now it is 30, as long as it is 30 before I leave for work, I will ride.
    When I started I swore it would be 30F - I'd just ride through the fall, but would take the bus in the winter. But that quickly slid to 15F - I'd just ride through the easier parts of winter, but I was honestly going to bus when it was really cold. But the bus never happened, and I'd much rather ride at -26F (my record) than stand at a busstop.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't have a cutoff temp. Coldest I've ridden in is probably about -10F.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

I also prefer riding in subfreezing temps than when it's just above freezing. the slop is a factor sometimes, but I find that 32-45 or so is the most difficult temp range to gear up for. It's so easy to overheat by overdressing, but you have to be very careful about underdressing in those conditions, too. throw in cold rain...eh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What's that ? I'm from new England HTFU. Pedaled at 4F once, the gatorade
    freezes solid at that temp.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I know a lot of you commute all year round. What about those that don't? What is your cutoff temp to not ride? I know some of us live in colder climates, and others in warm climates, so post up both.

When I started this, I swore it would be 40 as the cutoff. If it was under 40, I wouldn't ride. Now it is 30, as long as it is 30 before I leave for work, I will ride. When the summer rolls around, I am not sure what it will be. Showering at work is an option, although it is not an easy one.
    Have not found it yet, if there is one.

So far this year I have commuted in a range from under 10F to over 110
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    About -25 and i'm not really having much fun below that. I would need so much gear I wouldn't be able to move very well.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Don't have a cut off temp
    This. I don't have another option for getting to work, other than waking up the wife and kids to bring me in, and that's more of a hassle than it's worth. Ever dealt with an autistic 6 yr old at 5 am? I'd rather ride behind a semi in a downpour than deal with that mess.

mtbr member
    Absolute Zero would definitely be a non-starter. Done -5. Cold enough. Locals thought me completely nuts. Not like Edmonton, the Yukon or Alaska or Montreal when the Arctic air masses hit.

weirdo
    So far haven`t had any temps in my area that prevented me from commuting, but when it gets up into the upper 90s, the commute is just about all the riding I do.
    Recalculating....

sheep in FOX clothing
    Although I've never missed a commute due to cold weather, my one-way distance is no more than 10-20km and is mostly urban roadways and wooded valleys.

There is road group here that heads out into the county to do 100+ km at minus 10C and colder.

No thanks.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am pretty weak. I think that having Reynaud's really hurts my cold weather riding.
    2014 miles - 3086/2500

psycho cyclo addict

I've ridden 50 miles at 104 F and as long as I have water, I could tolerate hotter.

On the cold side, somewhere around 10-15 F on a breezy day is where I draw the line. If I am riding in a heavily wooded area, maybe a bit lower temp.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I am pretty weak. I think that having Reynaud's really hurts my cold weather riding.
    I occasionally get Reynaud's too but not during a ride. My record is -20F. I'm with JordyB, it gets less fun. But 35 degrees warmer at 51F, that's fine. As long as my hands and feet are warm I love winter riding. Especially on the trails & lakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    When the base posts amber road conditions and does not allow bikes to ridden on base.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Never found it. My mountain bike could handle worse road conditions than my Ranger, so I never found my cutoff road conditions either. Now that I have a less crappy car, I might stop riding when the roads have churned up ice mounds. Those are really hard to hold a line on.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For me the issue is safety. Once the roads get crud on the sides and the bike path is frozen up I'll be on the train. I also ride progressively slower as the temperature drops.

When I lived in Fairbanks -20F was my cut off. Frostbite starts being a real issue about there. Same for nordic skiing, it just wasn't fun. I don't have to worry about sub zero temperatures here in Utah now.

I Ride for Donuts
    I haven't had the opportunity to find mine yet... I've done a few commutes in single digit negatives... only gets colder than that here rarely.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Another Reynaud's sufferer here. I havent found my low yet. This is my first year round attempt. So far my lowest is 5F. This week I will see how I do below 0F. But I am lucky that all of my trips are <10mi. My regular trip is about 5mi each way. So when it is really cold I just "overdress" over a good baselayer and go slow so I dont sweat too much. It takes a lot longer but it is the only way I can be out in the cold. I have found the windchill to be more discouraging at times than the air temp.

I'd rather be on my bike
    If I can keep my hands and feet warm, I can ride. That is my biggest issue, aside from the conditions. I don't have a bike for the snow, and I try to avoid the rain/sleet. I may have to look into dedicated winter SPD boots/shoes. I know that Specialized makes some, but they are about $200. I don't know if I want to get that involved in it.
    2014 miles - 3086/2500

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If I can keep my hands and feet warm, I can ride. That is my biggest issue, aside from the conditions. I don't have a bike for the snow, and I try to avoid the rain/sleet. I may have to look into dedicated winter SPD boots/shoes. I know that Specialized makes some, but they are about $200. I don't know if I want to get that involved in it.
    I ride the shimano MW 81 good winter boot...I also ride that boot in the sides and ine the mountains as well....

Good from about 10 C down and good till -35C with thick socks.

weirdo
    I may have to look into dedicated winter SPD boots/shoes. I know that Specialized makes some, but they are about $200. I don't know if I want to get that involved in it.
    Don`t write off insulated hiking boots with BMX pedals as an option.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Ditto.

My cut off temperature would be different if my commute were shorter. But with a 33 mile round trip, I bailed in late November when it was in the 20s in the morning. I'm good for about 45 minutes and then I become miserable. I am okay with being a seasonal commuter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast