Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    --Raleigh--

New question here. What are you using to lock your baby up?

My biggest fear in starting this commuting journey is having my baby stolen. I just ordered a Blackburn "San Quentin" U lock that should get here in the next couple of days. Just wondering what all do you guys use to make sure your commuter is there when you return.
    2011 Raleigh Talus 29 sport Commuter Mode
    2001 K2 Zed V Mountain Duty
    1994 GT Outpost Steel, Rigid Awesomeness

sbn
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use an Abus U lock and a cheap wirelock. Works so far :-)

mtbr member
    Mini u-lock for me, and for the wheels I use a thin cable (basically a laptop cable). I used to haul around a pretty heavy cable for my wheels, but realized that if someone actually has boltcutters then any cable is toast, so I went with the lightest one I could find.

--Raleigh--
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Mini u-lock for me, and for the wheels I use a thin cable (basically a laptop cable). I used to haul around a pretty heavy cable for my wheels, but realized that if someone actually has boltcutters then any cable is toast, so I went with the lightest one I could find.
    lol good point, I have a pretty cheap one that I was going to replace for my wheels but it really wouldn't matter

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My office door...

Fortunately I can bring my bike right in with me. I carry a cable and padlock for quick stops and only ever lock it within direct view. I know that a cable and lock won't stop anyone, but if I can see the bike it'll slow them down enough for me to stop them...

mtbr member
    +1. I used to have a 1/2" steel cable lock that I lost the keys for on a kayak trip. (was using the bike to shuttle). had to go to a hardware store and bought a small bolt cutters. I thought I was going to be gnawing through that thing all afternoon, was prepared to explain to police that i was NOT stealing the bike, etc. nope. SNIP. It took less time to cut it than it would have to unlock it. Looking at getting a set of master streetcuffs soon.

Give it a crank
    If I wanted a really good bike lock I'd go for a TigrLock: tigrlock.com

But my cheap commuter gets just a cheap U-lock.

mtbr member
    I used to be able to park my steed in my office. Now I have to rack it. I use a Bell wire lock around the rear wheel and frame to the rack and an On Guard mini-u lock to lock the frame to the rack. I figure that neither are terribly expensive locks, but a thief, given the choice, will go after a bike parked near locked with one type of lock instead of trying to deal with two locks. So far, so good. I also tend to try to make my bike look as unappealing as possible - keep it generally dirty, cover with silly stickers like my daughter's honor roll bumper sticker and the like. And I try to park to much nicer/more expensive bikes. I think the key is to take the steps to make the bike not appeal to a thief.

--Raleigh--
    Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    Looking at getting a set of master streetcuffs soon.
    Hey i was reading tests and reviews of locks last night and found that these can be defeated by a blow from a hammer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iMongoose View Post
    Hey i was reading tests and reviews of locks last night and found that these can be defeated by a blow from a hammer
    Yeah, the cuffs have never really gotten good reviews.

Here's one from Bike Locks for the Theft-Averse | Product Reviews | Wired.com

And when they first came out someone showed that the chain in the middle was a real weak point, and was easy to pry apart.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I probably don't have enough security since I use a cheap On Guard cable lock, but I park my bike in a rack in front of a security guard, next to several more expensive bikes with equally flimsy locks so I haven't even had a light get taken yet.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I carry one of this "New York chains" on my daughters taxi..
    \Name:  GK999966_Kryptonite_New_York_Chain_Lock-M.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  39.9 KB

A carried wrap around the bars and is very un-intrusive..
    What are you using to lock your baby up?-img_4475-m.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    no lock for me either, we have a bike room, you need a badge to get in and theres cameras at the door.What are you using to lock your baby up?-img_20130408_054256_727-1.jpg

--Raleigh--
    You guys are lucky that bring it inside with you. Now i need to find out how to convince my teacher to let me bring mine inside the classroom

mtbr member
    well, that's disappointing. I settled on the street cuffs because of a different article just like this, except the street cuffs were the only one to withstand all attacks. I wish I could find that article now. Are there ANY effective locks? u-locks can be defeated in a few minutes with a bottle jack and chains and cables are just there to slow bolt cutters down. i live in a pretty low-crime area, but i hate locking my baby up with something so insecure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    U locks can't be defeated quickly unless they are cheap or you locked incorrectly. Tumbler facing down to the ground (as low as possible) and the frame/wheel/rack taking up enough space inside the shackle to prevent anyone placing anything inside to pry. That is the very reason u locks come in different shackle lengths (so you have the right one for your application).

The only way to securely lock a bike is to, as previous posters have mentioned, use a u lock through the frame/wheel/rack and a cable/chain through both wheels/frame/rack. The only surefire way to prevent theft is to take it inside and keep your eyes on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    I settled on the street cuffs because of a different article just like this, except the street cuffs were the only one to withstand all attacks. I wish I could find that article now.
    I wish I could find the one I was thinking of. I know it was pretty old - 2005ish? - so they might have improved the design since then. But it had a picture of a broken cuff, and a description of how easy it was, and that's been enough to convince me.

mtbr member
    Evolution™ Series 4 1055 Mini Integrated Chain - 10mm six-sided chain links made from 3t manganese steel
    What are you using to lock your baby up?-kryptonite-evolution-series-4-1090-integrated-chain.jpg

Plus cable to secure front wheel / seat

--Raleigh--
    heavy duty chains > u locks??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nnorton44 View Post
    Evolution™ Series 4 1055 Mini Integrated Chain - 10mm six-sided chain links made from 3t manganese steel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kryptonite-evolution-series-4-1090-integrated-chain.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	791278

Plus cable to secure front wheel / seat
    Wow that is pretty nice, much more evolve than the New York chain for sure..

mtbr member
    heavy duty chains > u locks??
    Depends. I like the chain because of the flexibility, but at the same time it weighs more than a comparable u-lock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    At my campus, which isn't big on bike theft at all, I just leave a kryptonite fahgettaboudit chain at my rack for whichever class I may have that day. I carry a kryptonite new york U-lock with two cables wrapped around it on the bike for other destinations and quick lock ups. These do come with me to campus too though. Chain and cable to bike rack, through front wheel, and frame, lock one end of cable to the chain, other to the u-lock. U-lock and second cable through rack, bike rack, rear wheel, and chainstays, one end of cable locked to u-lock, other end to the chain. Looks over kill but doesn't take more than 3 minutes to get it all locked up 10x better than any other bike here.

mtbr member
    Been looking at u-locks lately but I've been dragging my feet getting one since almost nobody down here uses them (that I've seen), and I'm almost afraid that it would draw more attention to my bike than if I just keep using my heavy cable. I know bolt cutters would go through that cable in seconds.

I would recommend buying a lock like this if you can find one;
    Name:  barjan brass shackle.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  11.4 KB
    I've had this one for a loooooong time, it has survived at least 3 pick/break in attempts (that I know of) on my truck and is still working perfect. There's nothing to pry against to break the locking pin, and the design won't let it be cut.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    You guys are lucky that bring it inside with you. Now i need to find out how to convince my teacher to let me bring mine inside the classroom
    That doesn't happen in my classroom, because I'm the teacher, and my bike's already in here .

I do have this high security sticker on the bike hook I hang it from though, to discourage any would-be thieves What are you using to lock your baby up?-picture1.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

--Raleigh--
    [QUOTE=CommuterBoy;10327814]That doesn't happen in my classroom, because I'm the teacher, and my bike's already in here .

I do have this high security sticker on the bike hook I hang it from though, to discourage any would-be thieves QUOTE]

Hahaha nice. My lock should be here friday i'll make sure to post pics up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast