mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What is the widest tire you should use on a 23.6mm wide rim?

I have no idea how to find out so...

mtbr member
    I don't believe there's really any strict limit. How wide are you looking to go?

jrm
    mtbr member
    As wide as the chainstays will accept? Im on A23's and ive mounted 40's..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    If you're commuting, you're probably running high enough pressures that you can go practically as wide as you please without problems.

Here's a chart for rough guidance: Tire Sizing Systems

You didn't say whether 23.6 mm is the outer or inner width, but even as an outer measurement it means 18-19 mm on the inside. I run 2.0" tires with that width without any issues.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    23.6mm is WIDE for a rim. Agree that any tire that fits in your frame will fit on that rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: What is the widest tire you should use on a 23.6mm wide rim?

How about 17mm? Sheldon's chart seems way too much on the side of caution, no?

mtbr member
    Yeah, Sheldon's chart is way too conservative.

I'm running 2.35(60mm) Big Apples at ~25psi on an old rim that's probably got 17~19mm internal width.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by discohospital View Post
    How about 17mm? Sheldon's chart seems way too much on the side of caution, no?
    yeah, that chart is one of the rare factual errors on Sheldon's site.

17mm was pretty normal XC rim width back when I cared about xc, I ran 2.1-2.2" tires without issue. Anything that will fit in your frame will probably be fine, and if not just increase pressure a little.

mtbr member
    What's the factual error? It's just a recommendation and has a note: "This chart may err a bit on the side of caution. Many cyclists exceed the recommended widths with no problem."

I found 19 mm to be too narrow but 21 mm is just fine with 2.35" (60 mm) tires. According to the chart I should have at least 25 mm rims. Then again I'm really slender, maybe a heavier rider would have tire squirm even with the 21mm/2.35" combo at low pressures. Rim measurements are inner ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    What's the factual error? It's just a recommendation and has a note: "This chart may err a bit on the side of caution. Many cyclists exceed the recommended widths with no problem."
    definitions I guess. You can easily exceed most of the max recommended widths by 100% or more, and it was common to do so when he put that up. I don't consider that simply caution (caution, to me is a 10-20% pad or the region of "it will work, but not well", not less than half what reasonably works).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: What is the widest tire you should use on a 23.6mm wide rim?

Thought so, but it's always good to hear some firsthand experience. I'm currently using 2.25 Rocket Rons on 17mm rims and I'm trying to figure out if the same width will be fine for the replacement rear tyre, or if I should perhaps downsize to 2.1 or 2.0.

mtbr member
    I had 15 mm rims and 32 mm tires were OK (max recommended), but 37 mm was not good.
    I had 19 mm rims and 2.35 (60 mm) was too much, 44 mm being the recommended max.
    With 21 mm rims 50 mm is the recommended max, but I use 60 mm with good success.

In my case the chart does err bit towards caution, but I certainly can't exceed the recommendations by 100%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    If you're commuting, you're probably running high enough pressures that you can go practically as wide as you please without problems.
    I've been running a 2.4 Conti (more like 2.2} on a 19mm rim at 25 psi, I burped it last night cornering a little late and hard, washing out and impacting the top of my shoulder into the concrete like clay lip of the hit.
    It feels like I've broken a bone so I'll add there's little if any wriggle room tubeless at low pressures.

mtbr member
    Ouch! 19 mm is way too narrow for that tire width at low pressures! I had 2.35" tires on 19 mm rims and switched to 21 mm to avoid accidents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the confirmation Saul. I was all set to buy some frequency i23s months ago when they announced the i25 and still waiting for them, I hope they're worth it.
    In hindsight it was pretty dumb to let myself be seduced by the big footprint when I'd not been able to keep the rear sealed at useful pressure.
    No broken bone luckily but a grade two acromio-clavicular (AC) joint injury.